which yogurt to buy??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bazil
    on

I was at the supermarket in my lunch break and thought I would get some yogurt and berries for breakfast over the weekend….
    only there were so many! and I just didnt have the time to spend (or my glasses) to read all the labels.

Can anyone give me an exact brand and type of yogurt to purchase? I found some yogurt but it said “greek style” so I didnt know if I was being tricked or not .

thanking you all in advance.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I’m a newbie to this diet, am starting it on Mon. From what I’ve read, I’m aiming for full fat plain yoghurt or full fat Greek. Berries etc would be nice with those. (Feel free to correct me if this is wrong information!!).

• posted by lucinda61
    on

I was wondering the same…Im in Australia….or is there a measure of sugar content that you should look for??

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Full fat Greek or natural yoghurt, just go for the one with the lowest sugar content.
    I’m pretty sure that mine has none

• posted by lucinda61
    on

Thanks Bill, will do…

• posted by FoFi
    on

I think that they can only call it Greek Yoghurt if it is made in Greece (or uses Greek milk or something like that).

None of those listed below have anything in them other than yoghurt:-
    Per 100g
    Tesco Greek Style Yoghurt Fat 9.5 Sugar 5.4
    Tesco Finest Greek Yoghurt Fat 9.9 Sugars 3.8 << Actually made in Greece with Greek milk (but almost twice the price)
    Yeo Valley Greek Style Fat 9.5 Sugars 6.4
    Non Greek Style
    Yeo Valley Natural Yoghurt Fat 4.2 Sugars 6.5

(Numbers from Tesco Website – other shops available blah blah!)

I have been eating Tesco Greek Style, but having seen the numbers above I will give the Tesco Finest a go – I have saved a fortune over the last few weeks not drinking alcohol so I can afford the extra 75p per week.

• posted by FoFi
    on

As I said I decided to try Tesco Finest Greek Yoghurt and it does seem to be thicker and creamier than the Tesco Greek Style, but this is from memory of last weekend rather than a side by side trial.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Mine (non negotiable!) is the Fage Total natural Greek yoghurt, per 100g is 96 cals, fat 5%, sugars 3.8% I think it’s about £2.50 for 500g in Waitrose, I have it on my favourites, so down to £2.00. It also comes in 1Kg tubs. Since I am eating so much less of it, I am saving quite a bit overall 🙂

Fage also do a 2% fat version, for which I don’t know the sugar content, and is just about acceptable taste wise, and a 0% fat version which IMO is awful. Again, I don’t know the sugar content.

I’d only use “Greek style” if I can’t get Total, or perhaps for cooking purposes, and would then go for the lowest sugar content, irrespective of cost- within reason, of course!
    MaryR

• posted by Chameleonbeetle
    on

If you’re used to something sweet start with a normal full fat yogurt and over a couple of week blend it with greek yogurt. I have always had sweet ones but need to get off them so this is how I’m going to do it, also your fruit choice helps the yogurt’s palatability.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

so which is the best / lowest sugar content yogurt to buy ?

There are loads on the shelves !!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

For me the best yogurt is Lidl’s Turkish style yogurt, a litre tub costing £1.30 something, so great value. It is 125cals, 10% fat and has 4.2g of sugar per 100g and is thick and has a very creamy texture and flavour. I have between 80g and 90g per day for breakfast around 9 to 9:30, with various toppings and find it keeps me feeling full until lunchtime between 13:00 and 14:00. I sometimes add a splash of rose or orange flower water, to give the illusion of sweetness.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lucinda, in Australia any full fat Greek style should taste fine, not low fat, not flavoured. No added sugar. There will always be sugars listed in any yogurt, because it is lactose, milk sugars , but there should be no cane or beet sugar. You can try a few and see which one you like. Real Greek yogurt in Greece is prob. made of sheep’s milk, but not here. Farmers Union (often o n special at Coles) is good, also Aldi, but if you do not like Greek style just try any plain full fat yogurt until you find a fave.

Good hunting.

Please log in or register to post a reply.