What to eat!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hope this will be a useful thread for us all as it can be a bit daunting so here goes my last few days:
    – I hard boiled 6 eggs and peel one and take to work in foil….emergency in case get really hungry and has helped at times.
    BREAKFASTS –
    – 2 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt, 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (aldi or lidl) a few frozen cherries(‘sainsburys) alternate on some days with Bircher muesli from the book (get ready night before and just mix in the morning)
    – 2 hard boiled eggs and handful of cherry tomatoes (portable too)
    -2 scrambled eggs, few slithers of smoked salmon and tomatoes and or cucumber
    LUNCHES
    – make up the dressing in a jam jar 1 tablespoon grain or Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon olive oil, one tablespoon cider or white vinegar….makes enough for two lunches so I halve and take separately
    – Smoked mackerel fillet, tomatoes, cucumber, rocket….have sometimes thrown in an egg and changed up the mackerel for sardines, chicken, tinned tuna and even cooked bacon one day( chuck on dressing and eat)
    DINNER
    -chicken breast stir fried in non stick pan, till cooked..add 2 tablespoons coconut milk, 1tablespoons fish or soy sauce and a pinch of chilli flakes….add chopped up pak choi/cabbage/green beans/broccoli -whatever there is. Add two tablespoons cooked rice….have used brown or wild (ready cooked microwave rice) and pour into a bowl
    – salmon steak coated in a bit of oil, add five spice powder or cumin or mustard powder and pan fry, serve with pak choi or cabbage or broccoli or green beans chucked in pan with a bit of low sodium soy or full fat yoghurt as a
    Sauce.
    I’m no great cook and I need quick tasty food……that’s it…a hot drink if desperate (coffee, tea, pepermint tea) and if that fails….a hard boiled egg or a few almonds (5)
    Probably too many eggs but as no cakes or biscuits or any other rubbish whose counting!
    X

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Aliba
    That’s all really interesting.
    I have invested in a slow cooker £19.99!) and have so far made a really nice beef stew, and Mediterranean veg with chicken, and discovered if you chuck veg in overnight, eg peppers, courgette, onion, tomatoes and Sundried tomatoes, with a minimum of water, in the morning you have a fantastic soup that just needs whizzing up. A lot of juice comes out of the veg and really flavours the soup with no need for stock cubes etc.
    Penny

• posted by Aliba
    on

The soup sounds amazing Penny….will have to get a new slow cooker this weekend as I use my for jewellery making. That’s definitely one I’m going to make…great idea
    With your walking and that kind of food your going to smash it eventually!
    Have a good day

• posted by southern
    on

Thanks for this Aliba, good to get a picture of the diet in practice.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Southern
    This just what I have…..I’m sure others will have different ideas.
    The practice nurse gave me a Mediterranean diet off the internet last year but I had no idea about how to put it together or what to do on a daily basis.
    This is much easier and I’ve lost 6lbs in a week.
    Hope you’re going to give it a go…..I was a bit scared that it wouldn’t be possible or I would faint through lack of food but nothing could be further from the truth…..it’s been remarkably straight forward!
    Good luck

• posted by zebbie
    on

My favourite breakfast at the moment is a portobello mushroom, grilled topped with a poached egg. I sometimes put a very thin slice of cheddar on the mushroom just before I take it out of the grill. Today I had mushroom, wilted spinach and a poached egg. It’s amazing how quick Ive become at whipping this up.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi zebbie
    That sounds really good.
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

“…will have to get a new slow cooker this weekend as I use my for jewellery making… ” – can I enter that sentence for the award of the most random thing I have ever heard!

How does that work Aliba?

Loving this thread btw

Please log in or register to post a reply.