What to aim for Carbs wise ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by paul_n
    on

Hi all

Read the book and am slowly phasing in 800 Cals a day and maybe 5 :2 have wife and son so need to juggle a bit however I think it is do able.

Being a vegetarian I need to go off piste quite a bit from the book recipes , so I cannot remember anywhere in the book it said what amount of carbs the menus/recipes were ?

I do cycle 30 – 40 miles a week and dog walk so am probably classed as exercising a lot ?

regards Paul

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Paul,
    There is a fair bit of discussion about how many carbs on several of the other threads. I’m sorry I can’t remember which ones but one might be Bill1954’s one called this has to work for me.
    You haven’t said whether you are diabetic cos that would make a difference. If you are testing blood sugars you would have some idea of how carb sensitive you are by testing two hours after a carb heavy meal. I’ve lowered my carb intake by trial and error and found I have to keep them quite low. However I don’t have to lose weight so I’m eating a higher calorie count than 800, according to my activity level.
    I’m also vegetarian so need to watch my protein intake too. There are a few vegos on here and everyone will help you out with advice. A nice high protein, low carb dinner is a vegetarian lasagne. I replace the lasagne layer with a large zucchini( courgette) sliced lengthways. Alternating a layers of a tomato/mushroom/capsicum/eggplant mix with one of frozen spinach, Parmesan and cottage cheese ( or ricotta) mix separated by the zucchini. The zucchini has a similar texture to pasta when cooked this way. Top with grated cheese and it’s delicious.
    A bit of a long winded answer but hope it helps.

• posted by paul_n
    on

Cherrianne

thanks for this , in answer to your questions..

Probably pre-diabetic
    No blood sugar tester
    one of those thin on the outside and fat on the inside people
    trouser size 32[ish] waist 35[ish]

So aim is to get waist to match trouser size ! not fussed if it takes longer than 8 weeks.

Thanks for recipe , intend trying the Hairy bikers leek lasagna preferably with Quorn for some meals.

I’m also vegetarian so need to watch my protein intake too.

What does the above mean ?

regards Paul

• posted by paul_n
    on

Cherrianne

Did find this on the web for vegaterians :-

How Many Carbs Should You Eat?
    It is important to experiment and figure out a way to match your carb intake to your own goals and preferences.
    That being said, these guidelines are reasonable:

100-150 grams per day: This is a decent maintenance range, and is good for people who exercise a lot.
    50-100 grams per day: This should lead to automatic weight loss, and is a good maintenance range for people who don’t exercise that much.
    20-50 grams per day: With a carb intake this low, you should lose weight quickly without experiencing much hunger. This carb range should put you into ketosis.

Vegetarians could easily go into the lowest range, but such a diet would be impractical for vegans. The 100-150 gram range would be more suitable for vegans.

I probably in the exercise a lot range currently.

regards Paul

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Paul,
    Do you have an app/device to track your nutritional intake? If you think of what your usual days intake would be ( pre BSD) and you’ve gained weight on that level of carbs, then try reducing to the point where you are happy with your rate of weight/ inches lost.
    Not being diabetic you won’t have to worry about your sugar levels, so wouldn’t necessarily need to have such a low carb diet as those of us that are.
    Good sources of protein for vegetarians are tofu 1/2 cup = 22g, eggs=6g ea, chick peas 1/2 cup= 5g, cheese=11g per 40g weight, cottage cheese=18g per 1/2 cup, full fat milk=7g in 200ml. So it soon adds up. Most recommendations have 0.8g protein per kg of body weight per day for moderately active people. I also add protein powder to my morning breakfast smoothie to boost my protein intake. Choose a legume based one rather than milk based and it will be lower in carbs.
    Sorry I never seem to be able to give a short answer lol!

Please log in or register to post a reply.