Well I'm back..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Guys as you know I am killing myself with eating.. I did really well on the bsd loosing a stone in a month. I felt so much better but I have let it slide…

I couldn’t get over my addiction to Pepsi max…. then after a rough few personal months I had gained weight and was heavier than ever…

I was in denial and I still am to some extent.. my back problem is currently on the mend thanks to a chiropractor.. I’m still not there. But I am no longer on 3 strong pain killers.. I do have to take it easy.. I have a bike!! Haven’t been able to try it yet until I get the all clear..:

So why am I back??
    Well it all started this weekend.. hubby was trying on new suits… I sat down and it was different mirrors from home.: better light.. my fat is rolling on top of more fat.:: only my ankles and lower legs don’t have the double blubba

Now I walk my dogs.. so I do exercise… and most of the time I’m semi good with food.. but it’s these carbs and sugars they are my weakness…

So I’m back…2 family members have died recently and I suddenly realised they would need a crane or a digger to lift me..: nothing would be dignified

I will be posting here lots as it’s you guys who helped me with my last weight loss .

I know it can be done.. I have done it… I just need to find the motivation..

Won’t lie so far not off to a good start .. however tomorrow is another day…. and I will get there.. this is my last chance…

One thing which bugs me.. all these so called celebrities and their amazing weight loss.. they can afford the right food, someone to cook it, – personal pt … I can’t.. just sorting my back out is costing me a fortune..

So it’s one step at a time

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lostgirl
    good new that your back is better, sorry that you’ve slipped a bit after a good start.

A cure for the pepsi addiction – try PLJ (or fresh lemons, but PLJ is super convenient)
    I don;t know if you remember it from the 70s – super sharp lemon juice, but still available in lots of big supermarkets, dilute it in hot water. It’s supposed to be good about half an hour before you eat, but try having it every time you have a pepsi craving.
    I discovered it a few weeks ago, bought a bottle but didn’t try it until the weekend – has really helped hugely with cravings for sweet stuff.

It WILL work this time!

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Wow that’s a really good idea will try

My chiropractor put me into green tea.. now I have tried the licorice tea and ginger and hated but I’m trying to drink green tea when I want a Pepsi

I’m drinking

Gingerbread green tea
    Salted caramel green tea and caramelised apple green tea .. so far I have 1/2 my Pepsi consumption

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hey lost girl

I see from your profile you are 34 well that’s exactly how many years I’ve been OW or obese!

You have had it rough I think back pain sucks the blood from your soul so great sympathy there. I think the exercise is what makes you feel good all those endorphins etc but it is the BSD which will change your life. Sugar and carbs are an addiction so it will always be one day at a time until your body gives them up. But you can do today at least you have shown that in the past and then tomorrow try another day.

The only way I managed was to avoid all sugar and it’s substitutes I had an addiction to it and never ate just one biscuit or chocolate etc. Once I realised that it was a bit easier as there were less decisions to make..it was just no thank you..once you get used to it truly it is the easier option. Eventually your body stops wanting it and it isn’t such hard work in fact it becomes a pleasure to really mean it.

If you look at my profile or today’s weigh in thread you will see I’ve lost 71 pounds so far ..lots to go. But every one of those was lost one day at a time and each week it got easier. I’ve learnt a lot over the time about when why etc I eat and a lot of tricks to avoid problems you do get better at it and it won’t always be a struggle.

Good luck and keep using the forum daily it’s what’s helped the most.

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Wow Angie

Congrats!! I think it’s the substitutes which are worse than the sugar..

What I can’t get my head around is I feel that I am fighting myself … I know I need to loose weight and part of me wants to the other part just can’t accept it…..

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome back Lostgirl

I had to banish carbs in all forms from the house. My friends thought The manufacturers of diet fizzy drinks would go out of business if I ever stopped drinking them, but they are still going strong. The last time I had Diet Coke was in March – it made me feel really ill after not drinking it for months. Another day I needed a drink and the only choice was still water or diet lemon and lime. Made the mistake of choosing the diet drink. After a couple of mouthfuls I poured it away – it was far too sweet!

As a former Diet Coke/Pepsi addict I can assure you that your tastes change and the longer you avoid them the easier it gets. Now I drink black coffee or sparkling water. Occasionally I try herbal/fruit teas but there are not a few I like. Someone recently gave me ginseng tea to taste – quite nice, you might want to try it 😀

Best wishes for your new BSD journey, please post your progress.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Good luck Lostgirl ! We all know how difficult it is even starting the weight loss journey so hope you are successful this time. I too have terrible back pain ( traffic accident which wasn’t my fault ) but after just 2and a half weeks and a 10 lb loss my back is so much better and walking isn’t so painful . I was a massive carb addict, my eating revolved around carbs and sugar and to be honest I wouldn’t have been surprised if I had suffered a heart attack or stroke. I also ate the good stuff but carbs dominated. Being diagnosed as prediabetic in the same week that tv was showing lots of programmes about diabetes was my wake up call.
    I haven’t had any sugar since I started , have had hunger pangs and headaches but have never had the success on a diet that I am having now.
    When you are having a tough time, come on to the forum, there is always lots of support .
    Do this for yourself, we often put ourselves at the back of the queue but now is the time to take care of yourself and ensure that your future is a better one.
    Best wishes

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Good luck Lostgirl. When your weight and eating are out of control it can seem like a big hill to climb, but let me tell you that as someone who has been where you are now, the view from that hill is SO worth the climb.

I spent 35 years of my adult life chugging Diet Coke and eating chocolate in secret and munching my way to over 19 stones. I lost 6, kept it off too, and at 5’10” I was lucky, looked slim at that weight. But those years took another toll. A type 2 diagnosis and the meds have put 2st back on mr in 12 weeks. Let me tell you something true.

When you’re overweight, you think being fat is OK most of the time, you can hack it. You can buy clothes that fit, more or less, your friends and family don’t say much about it, you learn not to think about it and you eat and drink mindlessly. Your joints and back hurt, but hell, you’re getting older.

You are living a lie. When you get thinner, everyone tells you how worried they’ve been, but they didn’t want to upset you by saying so. You look at your wardrobe and realise you’ve been wandering around trying to make yourself invisible in shapeless sacks. Living half a life, not doing what you’d love to be doing. Worst of all, you realise you’ve been digging your own grave. With your own teeth.

Forgive me for being harsh, but this is something you MUST do, for you. I was the biggest diet drink addict ever. Like an alcoholic, I gave it up, cold turkey. It’s the only way. Fizzy water and lemon juice is an excellent substitute. And once you know you can kick away that crutch, you can do the same with sugar, bread – anything you like. Because you’re so, so much stronger than you think. Take it from someone who’s been right where you are today. Starting an eating plan, sabotaging myself on day one. Every single week. Take control.

Pour your diet drinks away, rid your cupboards of sugary cr*p, do this quietly, for yourself. Resolve TODAY that this is the fattest you will ever be, because from tomorrow morning, you are the boss of what goes in your mouth. Stay strong. Choose well. Be healthy. Good luck. MK x

• posted by topcac
    on

Welcome back – good to have you here again. The one good thing about coming on here is that it is living proof that you are not alone. We come in all shapes, sizes, colours and creeds but we all have one goal and that is to be healthier – whether that’s to lose weight, drop our blood sugars or simply feel healthier, we are all doing this diet because we want to feel better inside and out.

So the first thing is to give yourself a break. You’ve just hit a bump in the road and you’ll be back on track in no time, in fact it looks like you already are making huge headway so congratulations. There are loads of ways to keep you on the straight and narrow and this forums is chock full of them. Take some time for yourself and read through others’ ideas for keeping on track – whether that be mini goals, 7 day challenges or buddying up with just one person, these things are proven to work.

Personally speaking I found that being accountable on here has helped and once you start losing weight, start feeling better, sleeping better, your clothes are looser and people start noticing it feels amazing. I’m with captainlynne and Angiebabe in that I had to banish all carbs basically – I told myself that my body doesn’t like them (it really doesn’t) and it just makes me bloated and feel dull and lethargic. BSD gives me energy and makes me feel great so why would I want to go back to anything else. MUCH easier said than done but we are all with you all the way.

Please let us know how you are getting on – every day if you have to – there’s always someone here to help.

Best of luck and loads of love
    TC

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Thanks guys xx

You know past few months have been hard and I forgot what I have missed is my bsd family..

Being told I won’t live more than 10 years shocked me… I didn’t really care to be honest it isn’t much of a life but with people who have died recently they had a life… I realised if I love them I have to do it for me but also for them..

I am going to try I think for me I just need to support along the way…

on

Snap, Lostgirl, Snap again.

Four years in which I lost everyone who knew me as a child – mum, dad, sister, brother. I put on 2 stones each year because… Well, I was sad and lonely, and life was cr*p so I deserved extra treats. Then being told by my GP I’d follow them within 10 years if I didn’t shape up.

You can do this, you know. YOU CAN. One non-carby mouthful at a time. What helped me when I started wasn’t cutting down on fizzy drinks and sugar on a sort of taper – for people like us, that’s just too much temptation, I found, hence cheating, guilt and remorse, resolving to start again. Over and over! Sound familiar?

It was eating low carb, quite strictly – lots of these diets available and you’re never, ever hungry – the calories seem scary if you’re not used to it, so don’t count them at first, just follow the plan, to be honest, and you can’t believe how well you can eat – just no carbs. As a cheese monster, this was great for me, you just have to remember no bread or crackers, no starchy veg or cereals, no processed food or tropical fruit, no milk. you will put on LOTS of weight if you cheat, and you have to be extra careful about fruit. But chicken, fish, meat, eggs, cheese, green veg, salad, nuts , cream,, fill your boots. Do that for 4 or 8 weeks, get into the low carb way – you’ll still lose weight – then reduce your calories down to bsd levels. I lost most of my weight on a very low carb diet over 10 months and it was ….easy. Really. It’s blood sugar I need to conquer now!

All the best, and so sorry for your loss. But you need to live the life they’d want you to live, and the one you know you need to. Go on. knock your doctor’s socks off! MK x

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Ok I am extremely cranky.. I’m snapping at everyone and anything… I am tired and feel like. No energy.. I’m not going to drink the Pepsi.. on my 3rd green tea ..

Last time I don’t remember being cranky…

• posted by Frog
    on

you don’t remember being cranky first time around – but do your friends/colleagues/family 🙂
    stick with it, you’ll be fine

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Ok I have gone from cranky to shaking and shaking with sweats… this is addiction….

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

It sounds like the carb flu. I truly sympathise but it DOES go, believe me – don’t succumb as this is for YOU and your HEALTH. Drink water….

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I do hope you are not diabetic or it could be a hypo. You didn’t say you were. Maybe you are right, it is an addiction so you must fight it and get your health back. Do you want a Pepsi more than you want to live, you are only 34 and should have many years in front of you, if you die in 10 years your will not have seen so many things, do you have children? I’ll tell you how celebrities do it, they starve themselves and they are miserable, at least if they had this diet they would be allowed real food. You don’t have to envy them, they are doing because if they don’t they will be unemployed. Keep doing this for yourself and stay with the BSD family.

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Thanks guys I’m not diabetic.. not as far as I know..

I resisted the urge for Pepsi.. I did eat a cube of cheese and a small slice of Swedish rye flat bread and I seem to be ok now…

NO PEPSI!!! I am drinking a coffee. It’s my own fault I didn’t have everything to start the diet so I just went without. Only had a few slices of ham for lunch.. it’s my own fault I’m just trying so hard…

No children and apart from dogs nothing to live for xx

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Lostgirl…… if you had regular Pepsi max, that’s an awful lot of aspartame. Of course, we need to take the side effects of aspartame into context but they truly are bad and it would affect me quite badly. I do sometimes have sugar free fizz but I check it for aspartame. Asda do Strathmore fruit fizzes which are really nice and tide me over now and then.

• posted by Avila
    on

LostGirl – hang on in there.

I am getting back on the wagon and having an awful carb flu headaches. I need to break an alcohol habit too which is a worse crime than your pepsi max.

We can do it. And dogs are worth living for!

• posted by GingerbreadMama
    on

thanks for the tip about PLJ – got done today and it’s lovely. Hoping it can help me kick the Diet Coke habit too!

• posted by Frog
    on

It’s really working for me GingerbreadMama – glad you found some
    About the fourth day of using it – I’m definitely getting fewer cravings for sugary stuff – and feeling full (and the promised digestive improvements too!)

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Thinking of you Lostgirl! We are all in this with you, supporting you and each other. We are all struggling at times, tempted, tired sometimes, cranky now and then, and so on. But . . .we are here for each other, supporting each other through the successes and failures. In the end though, it comes down to you believing that you can do this–I know all of us would say, “if I can do this, you can do this”, because it is not always easy and now and then we struggle; but, it is so worth it. To feel lighter, to feel healthier, to see your Blood Sugar drop, to see your waist get smaller, to have more energy, to fit into smaller size clothes and so many other wonderful improvements. All of this feels better than eating carbs!

PS. Green Tea, unless it is decaf. can cause a lot of jitteriness if you drink too much because it contains caffeine. You can find it in decaf.

on

Life is so precious, Losrgirl. Have you spoken to your doctor about the way you’re feeling? There is lots of help out there that will support and nurture you over these hard times. Sometimes if feels too hard to take the first step and ask, but you have been through a lot and deserve to feel better.. Hugs, you don’t have to bear this alone. MKx

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Morning x

Thanks for the support.

My gp is a total
    Joke.. I’m assigned to him and he is pill pusher.

I started good yesterday then had a hiccup…. but I’m getting there.. thing I’m finding is I would rather go without eating than cook…

on

Are you in the UK Lostgirl? Your GP should be able to get you on the list for 6 free sessions of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which saved my life after everyone in my family died, one after the other. I honestly thought that there was nothing good in life and that nothing good would ever happen again – hit rock bottom and only had the energy to throw chocolate and cheese down my neck like a woman with 8 arms.

I paid for an extra 4, but worth it CBT was what got me back into life. I likened my depression to descending the steps to a cold, dark cellar – one day I looked up and just couldn’t how I’d got there, and couldn’t see a way out. I’d coped so long I couldn’t do it anymore. Learning how saved my life, meant I could go on. I also credit it with giving me the oomph to start low caring and taking to my bicycle to lose 5 stones in 7 months.

CBT teaches strategies for re-booting your capability and self esteem in really practical ways, and teaches coping tools so you don’t slip back. You are entitled to this on the NHS. You may have to wait a while, but don’t let them talk you out of it and take pills- stand your ground. in the meantime beg, steal, buy or borrow a self help book on CBT until you can see a therapist.

MKx

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Sorry it’s been a few days… had guests over who wouldn’t eat the diet food.. I was still fairly good no bread!!

Re the Pepsi max.. I had been 2-3 days clear. I have been drinking weak blackcurrent cordial.. and I felt better . Last night I gave in and had a glass of Pepsi. Within a short time I felt bloated, ill and what’s worse my heart rate had shot up!!! I was sitting resting watching tv yet I was over 103 beats per min!!!

Was it the Pepsi… I think so

Anyway it has put me off which is great!!

As for weight loss I’m 2 pounds down!! Which I’m happy about. I know it could have been more but it’s all a step In the right direction.

My favourite meal is steak with celeriac mash and peas or veg. Tiny bit of mustard sometimes..

Please log in or register to post a reply.