Week 3 Slowdown – Is it heat related??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Claire_the_bear
    on

Hi, I’m new to the forum and in week 3 of 800 cals per day.
    Week 1 I lost 8 pounds, week 2 I lost 4 pounds and now in week 3 I’ve stayed the same for 3 days.
    Do you think it’s heat related? I’m drinking water all day long but can’t seem to shift any pounds this week??
    Can anybody help please? Thanks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Claire, first of all congratulation on a 12lb loss in 2 weeks, that is a good result. A lot of people hit a bit of a plateau at around week 3 and it can be for any number of reasons. I personally think it is because your body suddenly realises that something different is going on and is readjusting itself for the new diet. In some cases it might hang on to the weight because it is worried it might need to conserve some energy. It is not what used to be starvation mode, just a temporary readjustment. Although technically a plateau lasts for several weeks you will probably find this is just a glitch in the system and certainly not the time to be disheartened or give up.

on

Thank you, so should I just grit my teeth and carry on?? Do you think it will take a while to start losing again?? 😊

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Keep doing what you’ve been doing, Clair_the_bear. Be sure to keep well hydrated, as this is very important both for weight loss and surviving the hot weather. If the ‘plateau’ drags on and on, check you carb intake and perhaps try tweaking it down a little, to get things moving in the right direct. However, give it a little time and in all likelihood the pounds will start to fall away again. …. Great result so far bye the way, so stay positive and know that you can do this.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Claire,
    When we eat a high carb diet our bodies have to store water as part of the process. When we change to a low carb diet our bodies release that water. So you will see a very rapid weight loss in the early weeks.

The scales are not a good way of measuring progress.

Once the stage of releasing water is over your rate of weight loss will slow dramatically. The reality is that each lb of fat equals 3500 calories. If you have been yoyo dieting before, counting calories without counting carbs then you will have a slower metabolic rate as a result.

Our bodies do not empty each fat cell in turn, they take a little fat out of a number of cells replacing that fat with water. This process continues until the cells contain nothing but water when the water is released and the cells collapse. – Look up the whoosh effect.

During the course of a day most peoples weight will vary by up to 3kg. – Each ltr of water weighs 1kg, and there is the weight of whatever is in your digestive tract. So depending on where you are on the cycle of water input / output and what you ate you will see changes in the scale. (800 calories of cheese weighs much less than 800 calories of celery. 🙂

Also depending on what methods you are following by keeping carbs low you allow other hormone systems to work as they should. – Including the hormone which controls body repair. Bones and muscles getting stronger is a good thing but they do weigh more as a result.

The tape measure is a much better way of monitoring progress. But be prepared to take lots of measurements or photographs. – Its amazing where the body manages to find a little fat to work on that you don’t expect. Some of us have dropped shoe sizes, many find that we rediscover our collar bones before we see any change in our spare tyre.

Relax, if you are keeping carbs low enough that your body can access your fat stores, and your calories eaten are less than the number burnt you will be reducing the amount of body fat.

on

Hi JGwen,
    Thanks so much for your rely, it was super helpful. I know logically at 800 calories per day and less than 40g carbs per day I will burn fat and lose weight/inches but then I doubt myself.
    I guess its because diets have failed before!
    I’ll carry on the good work and stop being so impatient 😊
    How are you??
    C

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hi Claire,
    I’m in week 3 too and experienced a frustrating slow down where I weighed the same for nearly a week! It felt really discouraging. The thing that changed dramatically for me was taking a daily magnesium/B6 supplement (Blackmores) and also 2 prunes (my BMs were too hard and slow). It seems this is what my body needed. Two days later, everything was progressing again at the rate you’d expect (started weighing about 300g less a day plus the first days after, “lost” a kg) I’m also doing the weights and activity as recommended. Magnesium is mentioned in the book as something you may need to supplement.

on

MelBelle, Can I ask why you think it necessary to take a magnesium supplement or are you a vegetarian and cannot get it from your diet. I started taking them when I suffered leg cramps but found they caused fluid retention and bloating.

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hi sunshine-girl
    I’m sure it’s unnecessary for some people to supplement.
    I have a history of needing topping up with magnesium for restless legs.
    If you look at page 138 of Fast 800 it mentions that initially a supplement with magnesium, potassium and B vitamins can help. I already had this for restless legs but only normally take it when I have that symptom. I’m going to take it for a few more days and then see how I’m going. In case your edition has different page numbers, the section is titled “side effects” within Stage 1 of the Fast 800 Diet.
    I’m not vegetarian.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Vegetarians are not specifically at risk of magnesium insufficiency. It should only be an issue where the vegetarian’s diet is not properly balanced and varied, too high an intake of processed meat alternatives or of dairy products say.

The richest dietary sources of magnesium are actually plants: for example ground flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, cocoa powder, rice bran and wheat bran. These are all rich sources of bulking fibre for regular bowel movements too.

Magnesium insufficiency is, however, widespread in those eating the standard US/ UK diet. There are links with a wide variety of medical conditions including type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, various disorders of mental health.

Magnesium may be absorbed and utilised diifferently depending on the source or format. Magnesium citrate, magnesium stearate and magnesium sulphate do not have the same effects on the human body. Ideally do not self-prescribe any micronutrient supplement, but rather take the advice of a registered dietician, medical doctor or your pharmacist..

HTH!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I agree Firefox 7275, that’s good advice. Supplements are not a great way to get magnesium, better to get them from nuts, seeds, beans and lots of greens — they are better utilised from whole foods and all those foods also contain high levels of important nutrients.
    We want RUDE health! (I love that British term!) (we don’t have an equivalent in the USA)

on

Here is a way to cure restless leg syndrome and night cramps. Put a small piece of soap in your bed near to your legs / feet and voila, you will be cured.

Please log in or register to post a reply.