Week 12 ??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by C9018
    on

Hi All
    I have completed week 12 of the Fast 800 and feeling good to continue on this, so my question is would I be ok to continue or should I move to the 5:2 diet?
    The weight has been slow coming off and for the last 4 weeks only losing half a pound each week, so I’m worried I will gain weight if I move to the 5:2.
    Any advice?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there C9018, congrats on managing to complete the 12 weeks. They do say you shouldn’t stick to 800 cals for longer than 12 weeks but, in all honesty, even when we are being strict we all slip over that number now and then. However, given that those in the know have made that rule and the fact your losses have slowed right down – but great you are still losing – why not give the 5:2 a go for perhaps a week or two. Monitor your weight and if it starts to creep up, go back to the Fast800. Sometimes it does the body good to let it have a bit extra and you can once again see good losses when you return to the full diet.

I personally have been on the BSD very low carb and 800 cals for over 6 years. I do come off now and then and only stick to 800 if I want to lose more weight (which I need to but not desperately). The reason I do this is because I am diabetic and I know the vl carb helps me control my blood glucose. So it is possible to stay on the diet but, as stated above, we dont always stick with the 800 all the time.

• posted by Sasa29
    on

I’m at the end of week 6 and wondering what I should do after the 8 weeks. My diabetes nurse (very knowledgeable one who totally supports me doing this diet) said that if I continue beyond 8 weeks I risk slowing my metabolism down, resulting in weight gain when I up my calories. She suggested I move to 5:2 instead. I just thought I’d share her advice, although perhaps people don’t agree with that! Seeing as MM’s book also suggests switching to 5:2 it does seem the sensible thing to do next. Also, because your weight loss has slowed I would think it’s time for a change. Weight loss is slower on 5:2, but I’m guessing it’s ok to go back to 800 for a few weeks now and then though!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sasa29, everything you say is true except your body’s metabolism slowing down. You slow down because you weigh less and therefore need less calories and possibly your body is at a happy weight for a while. It is still a good idea to switch things around so you give your body a jolt. As you are diabetic and hopefully managed to get your numbers down, you should still be very careful with the carbs. For info, I have been doing this plan for over 6 years now. T2 on 40 to 44 units of insulin, fasting bloods of over 210 (around 11.8) and never seeming to get control. Now on 6 units of insulin with the possibility of coming off completely when I see doctor in December, fasting bloods of between 80 and 90, lost around 2 stone – still some to lose but not worried about that. All other numbers are down i.e. BP, cholesterol, triglycerides etc. Stopped a lot of the other drugs I was on. If you go onto higher calories you might gain a little but can rein it back in with spurts of 800 cals now and then. But do not go back to the ‘normal’ level of carbs or you will find your BG numbers rising again. Hope that helps.

• posted by Sasa29
    on

Thank you. That makes sense. You have done amazingly well! You must be really chuffed! I have also lost 2 stone but won’t have my next blood test until January. However that will motivate me to establish the BSD way of life when my 8 weeks are done mid November. I will definitely revisit 800 calories from time to time and definitely weigh myself really often to keep tabs on things. Having done weight loss diets in the past, I know only too well that the danger is once the diet is over. I think having diabetes gives me a reason to not go back to the old eating habits. I certainly won’t be going back to the amount of carbs I was having before as I’ve learned to enjoy different foods.

Please log in or register to post a reply.