Week 1 plateau

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by quercus
    on

Hi all. Am on day 7 with an initial 4lb weight loss which I was very happy about. Have stuck on same weight for 4 days now. I have about 2 stone to lose in total. I have read about hitting the plateau but wasn’t expecting it so soon!

I’m eating zero fruit, no root veg and doing 10000 steps a day. Have started the HIIT cycling.

I should say that I am incredibly impatient and chose this diet to give me quick initial results to motivate me in the longer term.

I’m sure those of you who’ve been on the diet for longer and suffered plateaus are rolling your eyes at my paltry woes!! Sorry!!

Any words of wisdom/inspiration?

• posted by sianeyb
    on

Don’t despair. I hit the same and when you are being so conscious of what you eat it can be demoralising.
    Drink more water, eat fruit, berries this time of year are great or the frozen ones in yogurt ( full fat remember) or porridge oats, jumbo rolled organic sort. Maybe you are a little blocked? I bought a nutribullet and zapped up some berries, seeds and spinach . Looked yucky but tasted great and helped the movement of weight and other nasty’s!
    Keep at it, I am 8 weeks in and 2stone 4 lighter, it does work and my diabetes medication reduced, my doctor couldn’t believe it !
    Dig in , it really gets easier

• posted by quercus
    on

Thank you so much! I know it will pass but it’s good to hear from someone who’s come out the other side.
    I will definitely try the berries with yoghurt.
    Congratulations on your results: weight loss fantastic, reducing meds even better!
    What are you planning to do after the 8 weeks?

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

You kind of need the reward of seeing changes in order to motivate you on what at first seems a difficult journey, but which then turns into a way of life. For the first time in 5 weeks my weight loss seemed to have stalled at the weekend, so I can empathise. So far ~ 18lbs lost. When you weigh yourself, levels of dehydration, how long after meals etc makes a difference.

With respect to food I’ve shifted from excess carbs to avoiding them where possible in order to try and burn fat for 8 weeks.
    I now really enjoy the crunchier and tastier way of eating and have felt 100% better since day 1.
    I would endorse drinking LOTS of water, I try for 2 – 3 litres per day extra to other drinks. It seems to help your body adjust.
    My favourite breakfast was porridge but have skipped for BSD, as its pretty calorific and carborific, although still on the good side of the fence. Instead I have proper Greek yogurt which is filling with berries etc. The rhubarb recipe in the book is also surprisingly nice. Add a small amount of linseed/nut/gogi mix [Aldi] and a couple of spoonfuls of chia seeds. It’s worth reading about the latter to see how good it is for you [Omega 3s etc] and the seeds also swell and make a small bowl of food into a filling brek – good for digestion too. I also exercise and burn 800-900 cals three times per week. If desperate for a sweet-ish snack on those days I have celery with peanut and almond butter [in the past that would have been toast and peanut butter/banana] and occasionally some fruit. A spiraliser helps – substituting courgette etc for pasta.

Good luck – commit to the 8 weeks and trust in the process.

• posted by quercus
    on

Thanks JackieWilsonSaid

The chia seeds sound like a great idea.
    Also from what you’ve said, I don’t think I’m drinking enough: 1 litre a day if that so I’ll try upping that.
    You’ve done really well – I hope you get past your stalling weekend. You must be a lot more committed than me to exercise. I can’t imagine how you would 800-900 cals in a session without dying!!!

Thanks for the advice and pep talk.
    Good luck for the rest of your 8 weeks and beyond.

• posted by quercus
    on

Yay! Lost 1lb. Maybe small but very welcome. It means I’m still heading in the right direction. Thanks for your encouragement.

Jackie WilsonSaid – hope you’ve got over your stall.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Congrats to you – it all helps.
    Me too: 1lb in the week, slower than usual to date, but all other signs good, so it’s like life – not a straight line.

Please log in or register to post a reply.