Very Slow Weight Loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Suesheff
    on

I am prediabetic (self diagnosed) my fasting sugars were around 6.9. I am at the end of week 7 of the 8 week diet. As far as I can see I have kept to all the diet rules. I have 2 meals a day, lunch and Dinner. Rarely snack inbetween, maybe a handfull of nuts occasionally. I keep to eating meat/fish with veg or salad around 800 calories a day. I effectively fast between 7.30pm and Midday with maybe a cup of coffee in the morning to keep me going. I have increased my activity, but not drastically. I seem to be only loosing around 1-2 pound a week (11lbs in 7 and a half weeks). As I have 6 stone to loose this is painfully slow. My fasting sugars have gone down to 5.9 but have been stuck there for 4 weeks.

Any advise please ??

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Suesheff
    1-2lb a week is great, albeit that it seems very slow to you. I feel for you!
    My big question is, how much water are you drinking?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Also, how many grams of carbs a day?

• posted by Suesheff
    on

Baristagirls, I admit I do find it hard to drink a lot, I feel full very quickly now. I mostly have a pint of water in the morning. 2 cups of decaf coffee during the day, another pint of water early evening, sometimes a cup of decaff tea before bed.

• posted by Suesheff
    on

Esnecca, I dont think my carbs are very high. I only have veg and salad, I dont eat pulses, grains or fruit. I mostly have green leafy veg, carrot, courgette, onion mushrooms. I do use My Fitness pal, I will check it to see what the carbs come out like.

• posted by LainieUK
    on

My weight loss has slowed down – 7lbs off in 4 weeks and I have another 6 stone 10lbs to go. I was feeling a bit frustrated by this but realised that this is a diet that I can actually keep to – it makes me feel so much better. Today I’ve worked out where I can be, at different dates in the future and to be honest, I’ll be delighted to see a ’14’ on the scales which I should reach by the end of August. I’d love to lose a lot more every week but I have decided to be happy with a lower loss.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Suesheff, its different for everyone but for me, drinking more than what feels like plenty is key. That adds up to barely 2 litres, could you aim for 3? It really got my weight moving and helps me through maintenance.
    I don’t exactly want to advocate sugar free drinks but sometimes if I needed to drink more, flavoured fizzy water, supermarkets basics, helped, and fruit tea, sometimes a glass of milk if my carbs for the day were exceptionally low.
    Of course water water water is the key but its not that easy for everyone! It must be very hard for those that don’t like it, fortunately I do.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Baristagirls, I’m with you on the water, I’m sure it holds the key and I enjoy it and always have. I aim for approx. 4 litres of fluid a day, 3 litres of which is plain old tap water.

Suesheff, just be careful with the veg as I see you specifically mention carrots and onions – general rule is above ground good, below ground tend to be quite high in carbs, as are tomatoes (above ground, but a fruit) if you are adding them to your salads.

• posted by kikiboriki
    on

Your body probably has slowed it’s metabolism to better preserve fat. Fasting is wonderful and boosts metabolism short term, but I don’t agree that the metabolism doesn’t slow down over longer periods of time (refer to the biggest loser study.) Ive personally seen people with better success when they take short breaks from any form of reducing calories or fasting, because then it keeps the body from predicting a famine, and from being able to predict how many calories it will be getting so metabolism doesn’t slow down(more than it should) over time. Fat is an asset for survival, so our body’s will try to eventually burn it as slow as it can if it thinks there is little food coming. It doesn’t makes sense for survival if we burn at a optimal, quick rate for long periods of time. We wouldn’t live very long. I say take a few days to 1 week and eat plenty of healthy Mediterranean foods and don’t be in caloric deficit. I’ve noticed most people find that their metabolism “resets” and they burn fat at an optimal rate again when they take a break and keep their bodies guessing. There are studies on this as well. You could also try fasting twice a week, 3 times a week, every other day, two days in a row of fasting, 3 days in a row of plenty of healthy food, etc. Just keeping it switched up, it does wonders for metabolism. 🙂

• posted by Suesheff
    on

thanks everyone, I will try more water. I did start the diet with a 3 day fast, and must admit I was thinking of doing this again. I may also switch to eating more and having fasting days as my body may be needing a change of gear.
    I am pleased with my weight loss in one way, as I have been dieting for years and nothing shifts the weight, so this is the first sucess I have had. Unfortunately I am an impatient person !! and I hoped I might have lost a little more in nearly 8 weeks.

I dont find the regime hard, I stopped craving sweet stuff quite quickly, and dont get very hungry. I need to be patient 🙂

• posted by Eileen27
    on

I feel for you Suesheff especially as you try so hard. My weight loss is painfully slow – only 11lbs since Jan 1st but I haven’t given it 100% so I can expect nothing more! That’s about 16 weeks! I would like to lose another 11lbs. It’s 16 weeks till my big birthday so I must do it. Posts to your forum talk about increased water. I try to manage 8 glasses but it seems I’m going to have to drink more. So I will ! I have an app on my phone – 8 glasses a day – but this can be changed. It’s good to keep track. Good luck Suesheff. We will both get there!

Please log in or register to post a reply.