Vegemite

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

Hi all,
    I find myself sticking to the 800 but the one thing i am missing more than anything is Vegemite on toast. I know this might only apply to the aussies here or marmite lovers but does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate Vegemite while sticking to the 800 and low carbs.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Wilma. This may seem odd but have you tried dipping celery sticks (or any vegetable sticks?) into it. I love marmite, but my aunt loves vegemite so I think you could probably do the same with it.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello Wilma. Funny how my eyes went straight the word “vegemite”.

In my house we have a constant supply of Corn Thins because it is easier for OH with coeliac disease just to have a couple of those instead of fiddling about toasting GF bread (the crusts char before the centre of the slice is brown, nuisance) when he wants a snack.

Last week I spread one with some butter and vegemite. Quite acceptable, with reasonable numbers, for the occasional snack. Haven’t felt that salty call this week but I guess it will come up again sometime.

Numbers = Cornthin = 12g weight/1 biscuit = 23cal, 4.2g carb
    Buttersoft reduced salt 1 serve = 5g but I found I used about 2.5g weight so counted it as 3g = 21cal, 0g carb
    Vegemite 1 serve = 5g as above so counted 3g weight = 6cal, .6g carb
    So total = 50cal, 4.8g carb

I know some people think cornthins = cardboard, but with the spreads on, I thought it was ok. Needs must, anyway. Hope this is helpful. Cheers.

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

Thanks Marsie and Baristagirls,
    I have taken to eating it straight from the jar a tspn (6grams) is 11 calories so not too bad. I will give the veggie sticks a try. Marsie I’m wheat intolerant so not as bad as your OH being coeliac- i’ve found buckwheat crackers aren’t too cardboardy.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

• posted by Frog
    on

Sorry – no response on Vegemite – other than ditto with peanut butter!
    But Baristagirls – where have you been! ?
    Hope that everything is going well for you.

Marsie – on OH toasting GF bread, have you tried those toaster bags? They’re intended for toasted sandwiches, but a former colleague who had coeliac used to use them all the time – mostly to isolate her GF toast, but she never mentioned problems with toasting eing uneven.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Frog, nice talking to you.
    My OH – such a nice man, really. Shares household chores, hasn’t let recent health setbacks turn him into an old grump….but….not the most patient person re “gadgets” (his description) so….I used the toaster bags to keep the toaster clear of contaminating crumbs. But, lol, haven’t had toast for 8 weeks😉 so thanks to BSD, no crumbs, no toaster bags. The smell of toasting bread still makes me drool, though.
    Thanks for the good thought, hope all going well on your BSD path.

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s one for the unintended consequences thread!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi there Wilma F, thanks for your suggsstion re buckwheat crackers, I picked up a pkt while shopping this afternoon. Haven’t tried them yet, but good to have a choice. Cheers.

• posted by lovetocook
    on

Baristagirls, thanks for the celery tip! I’ve just snacked on a couple of celery sticks with vegemite and it’s hit the spot.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Frog

Only just read your above post! Don’t visit the forums an awful lot now I am nearly at target but we’re still sticking at it, mum and I!

Well done everyone….

• posted by Natalie
    on

Wilma I agree with a couple of others, Vegemite goes very well with celery.

• posted by dtermined
    on

Vegimite spread on very strong cheddar is just thebest snack. You need very little of both to hit the spot. Apple slices work with this very well and together they stop my after supper munchies

Please log in or register to post a reply.