veg restrictions?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by love4alan
    on

Starting today and wondered if there was any veg I shouldn’t have on the plan? I’m not a big bean lover I prefer my veg, also is it fine roasted? Is there any fruit other then berries I can have ie apples, grapes, kiwi as again not a lover of berries, all help and suggestions much appreciated

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

General guidance for veg is eat those grown above ground but avoid/restrict those grown below ground

Roasted veg are ok.

Fruit: berries are best (strawberries are lowest in carbs). Ones to definitely avoid are tropical fruits. I’m diabetic and most fruits spike my sugar levels so tend not to eat any. Someone else will be along who does eat fruit and can help more.

• posted by love4alan
    on

Thank you, my husband is doing the paleo diet and I’m noticing a lot of similarity between the 2 diets, just hoping I can stick this out 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

If it helps, I’ve just finished 16 weeks on this, losing 45 pounds and stabilising my blood sugars at normal levels from type 2 diabetic levels

• posted by tree-peony
    on

Grapes are really bad I’m afraid, but I guess it depends if you’re diabetic! I can tolerate the odd fresh apricot and fig. Stick to berries and you should be fine. You need to be a bit careful about roasting veg as it caramelises the carbs which them worse for you 🙁

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You tend to find that the sweeter the fruit the more carbs (its obvious really!) so berries are best but pears and apples are in the mid range so can be used conservatively (depends on if you are actively counting carbs) but the very sweet fruits like mango and pineapple, although delicious, are a bit of a no-no. As are bananas. Vegetables in general are just a much better way to get the same nutrients and fibre. Avoid the starchy ones like parsnips and other below ground veg like carrots will have slightly more carbs than those grown above ground like leafy greens.

Please log in or register to post a reply.