TREADING WATER until the NEW YEAR 2023 comes !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks to Verano and sunshine girl for the inspiration !

This is a continuation of the ‘weekly thread ‘ which will run until we are all back after the festivities in January .

Lots of us are going to be busy, visiting family, travelling and realistically we are not going to be that active on the forum .

So … as V suggests, you can just dip in and out as you are able. .There will usually be someone around to chat .I will check in until the 12th December but will be in the UK for a couple of weeks .

We are not going to be drowning in carbs !! Just waving 😉

The main thing is to keep this long-standing thread going .
    Thank you everyone for your input

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB XXXX

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for setting up this thread Wendy. It really would be a pity if the weekly thread disappeared into the ether.
    I feel better already, all the pressure off and now just watching the carbs. I’ve had a few too many over the last four days.
    Last day of November so time to remedy that and start December with a ‘clean sheet’
    Better to have run and lost than never tried at all!

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG lurking in the shadows.
    Thank you for setting up a new thread until the New Year arrives – I always check in daily even if I don’t post.
    I know I’ve had a rubbish year weight-wise, and looking back I’m about 4lb heavier than I was in January. While the original reason for doing this was to support hubby in reversing his pre-diabetes (which he has successfully done and maintained for 2 years now), it is a way of life now and forays into the pre-BSD world of carbs are few and far between. But as ClarinetCathy mentioned on another thread, it doesn’t take much for me to gain weight and losing it is really hard and requires a lot of discipline, and some days/weeks/months I just don’t have the mental bandwidth to do that.
    But, this WOE feels good for me, is certainly good for hubby, and a return to a high-carb life is not on the cards.
    Christmas will be relatively quiet this year, as usual, but without a glorious goose (the local farmer didn’t raise any this year because of the avian flu risk), so we plan to do something completely different and have a tasting menu of many small courses adapted from a very posh (but now very dated in style) Christmas dinner we attended the year hubby and I met. It should be fun, albeit a lot of kitchen time for me, and I can keep it low carb.
    On a positive note, I grew Brussel sprouts for the first time this year, so they will be on the menu 🙂
    I am also having a glut of cauliflower from the allotment, not a bad thing on the BSD, but we are eating cauli leaves and/or florets on a daily basis.
    Keep on keeping on everyone, as SG would say 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Very jealous of the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, RubyG! I did put in a fall crop of cauliflower, broccoli and kale. Unfortunately we had a very warm October and the cabbage moth catepillars ravaged them, so they were only just starting to struggle upwards when we were hit with a sudden and early winter. They are under more than 30 cm of snow at the moment. I think the kale should survive winter, so hopefully will have some of that come spring, but not sure that the cauliflower and broccoli will. We’re at -15 C tonight and going down to -20 C tomorrow night. I was looking back at some old posts and that reminded me that I used to make cauliflower nachos. Cauliflower from the shop is too expensive here now though, so I’ll just have to wait until I can grow some more.
    I did lots of snow clearing this morning before work and again at lunch time, so I spent a good part of the day hungry and struggling to get warm once I was back inside. I’ve had lots of soup and tea, but have finally given up and had some rye bread with sliced avocado and cheese. I figure I need something a bit more substantial after all that work and being out in the cold.
    Love the swimming theme of the new thread. I used to swim a lot competitively, and I do miss it. It is supposed to be excellent exercise for the lipedema as well. The masters swim club in the city to the south of me meets at really odd times, so I had discounted joining. I suddenly thought that the town to the north may have a club and looked them up, and sure enough they do and the times are much more reasonable. I may have to see if I can join a day or two a week in their next session. I would like to do some skiing this winter as well. Currently I’m too heavy for my skis though, so I’ll have to figure something out for that. Maybe rent skis for now? I’ll look into it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Checking in to say I’ll be around too, Wendy, I’ll try to be more present, now that our time away is almost done. If I’m honest, I’ll need to be around to keep myself accountable and to hopefully get back on track and back to target weight again, without too much delay.
    Like you V, I’ve had too many carbs recently and so am trying to rein them in again. Definitely want to get a handle on them before Christmas hits. I had a couple of days when the carbs got almost completely out of control, as a result, I had a few days feeling physically really unwell. Still don’t understand why I allow myself the self-sabotage like that, but it seems to happen at least once while we’re away. Perhaps on some level, I need a reminder that being out of control makes me feel ill.
    Ruby, like you, the weight goes on readily enough, but is much harder to ditch again. Being ‘vertically challenged’ means that the pounds impact much too quickly on garment fit too. Don’t beat yourself up for being just 4lb heavier than in Jan though, you can remedy that over the coming month/s. Really like the sound of your Christmas menu idea … if we end up having Christmas day to ourselves, I might try something similar.
    AF, I really hate the idea of clearing lots of snow, so you have my sympathy. Being largely cold blooded with a poor circulatory system, I loath snow and/or being cold. You did the right thing, sometimes we really do need a bit more than we’d normally eat, best to listen to your body at times like that.
    Finally, I’m looking forward to being an active part of the thread again as we move towards the festive season and into the new year. The weekly thread has been invaluable to me and I know to others too, so let’s keep it alive, albeit in a slightly different format, until 2023 when we’ll all be eager for normalcy again.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Joining the gang for the next few weeks. My problem when I am away is I don’t have a computer. Hubby takes his laptop but tends to hog it, daughter is usually working up to the weekend before Xmas and, not only that, we are already looking to be very busy.

On the treading water subject, I did get to go swimming again yesterday. As it is 20 mins each way and €3 to get in I decided to make the most of it and did 45 minutes. Might have paid off as I am half a kilo down this morning and heading nicely to the 71kgs mark.

My surgeon cancelled my 9th December consultation and has moved it forward so I am now going tomorrow. At least it is in the afternoon whereas the other was early morning 9.30 – early for me, especially with a 90 minute drive to get there. So early lunch and then set off around 12.30. Getting quite nervous as I dont know if he is going to do the procedure there and then. Doubt it as I will probably need a pre-meeting with an anaesthetist. I will let you know what happens.

Congrats on growing the sprouts and cauli. My last attempt at cauli gave me some beautiful mini caulis which I left to the cold weather (I think you are supposed to). Came back from a Christmas break to find they had all gone black. From next year we are going to employ a gardner on a regular basis to do odd bits around the garden so I am hoping he can help dig over my veg patches so I can start planting again. I put it off because of the heavy work. About time we paid someone to do it for us.

Nearly weekend and I am determined to keep on track as we have a night out on Monday. Quiz and dinner – last one of the year.

on

Just trying this on my phone. Ignore but it works

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

👍👍👍👍 go S-G 😁

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    A bit more time on my hands this week as I’m taking a couple days off work. I had some holiday to use up before the end of the year and as this week is going to be so cold, I thought it would be easier.
    I have a couple of NSVs to report. I had a dentist appointment this morning, and I was running a bit late due to morning chores taking so much longer in the cold (hauling buckets of water from the house, etc.), so I grabbed the first bra off the drying rack that I saw. Turns out it was the one that is one size smaller than what I have been wearing recently and I’ve been wearing a back strap extender with it to help it fit better. Because I was running late, when I realized I didn’t want to go and find the extender, so I thought because I was only going to be at the dentist a short time I would wear it anyway. Turns out it is quite comfortable. I definitely feel less puffy this week, so fingers crossed some of the fluid, if not fat, is finally shifting.
    Also, the dental hygienist said that my gums are looking healthier than they were 6 months ago and she asked if I was doing anything different with my teeth cleaning. I said no, but my diet has been better. So a little win there as well!
    Came home and gave the fridge a much needed and thorough clean, then back outside to finish my chores for the day while it was a bit warmer (-14 C!). Having some mushroom and barley soup for lunch now. It sounds like it should be high carb, but it is only 7g per serving and pretty filling. Barley is recommended for improving lymphatic function, so that is why I picked some up. I quite like it, but haven’t had it for years and years.
    Need to go and get a fire started in the wood stove now. The temperature is starting to fall already. Hope everyone has a good week!

on

Hi all, just back from my consult with the vascular surgeon and it is very bad news. He wants to operate asap and has booked me in for a scan on Wednesday morning, because I need to have blood tests before the scan and cant get to the lab until Monday (the are on strike). So Monday blood tests, Monday afternoon results then scan on Wednesday morning and see consultant same day after lunch and then, if he has managed to clear his surgeries he will operate the same day. He says the scan is a formality as he already knows how serious it is. Right now I am at 85% risk of having a stroke so he doesn’t want to wait any longer. Well nothing much else to say on that, at least it is all in hand. I am going to find out how much this is going to cost in a couple of days but I am fully insured so shouldn’t have to pay out too much.

BTW I am wearing a t-shirt with a big sunshine on the front with the words Always Look on the Bright Side – hey ho.

I’m not sure I am interested in talking about or worrying about my weight but I am still KOKO.

Have a good weekend all of you.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G sending you all the love in the world and will be praying for you xxxxxxx

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g hoping only for the very best outcome for you. Thank goodness you aren’t in the UK.
    Thinking of you and sending all the good vibes I can xx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Keeping you in my prayers Denise. I trust the excellent medical care will put you right and you will be back on here soon. Julia

on

Thanks for all your good wishes. Julia, I’m not going anywhere but if I do become unable to come on the site hubby has instructions to send a whatsapp to Wendy.

Yes V, can you imagine going to your GP in the UK and saying you feel crap (which is what I did), told him I just didn’t feel right and him sending you for blood tests, scans etc. I have had this diagnosis in around 2 months plus the asthma diagnosis within 5 weeks. I don’t think I would have even got an appointment to see a GP in the UK. Cant wait to see the bill for the op though, that is the downside of France but I am fully insured so it wont come out of my pocket.

Just want to get it over with. Hopefully on Wednesday or, if not, it will be first week in January, depends on whether the surgeon can clear his schedule at such short notice. BTW, I told him about my forgetfulness and confusion and he said that was not the problem. Guess it must just be my age but also I’ve go so much on my mind right now.

Not much else to say. Bon week-end tout le monde (have a good weekend everyone).

• posted by arcticfox
    on

All the best for the week ahead, s-g. It sounds like you are in good hands. I imagine too that your improved health and lowered blood sugar may assist with your recovery and hopefully prevent future instances as well. All your hard work (and all that swimming too) has to be worth something!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Wishing you all the best S-G!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

SG, just dropping by to send all best wishes and positive vibes to you for tomorrow 🤞🏻 it will all be sorted out ASAP, so you can relax and enjoy the festive season. Big hugs 🫂

on

Hi everyone, I am still around. Just had my hair cut and coloured so I look beautiful on the operating table 🙂

I have now an appointment with the anesthesist so my day goes, scan 9.50, surgeon 1.40, anesthesist 1.50. So it looks like it is all happening. Right now I am feeling pretty crap but it will be all done by tomorrow night. I hope. See you all in a couple of days.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g so pleased to see you still have your priorities right!!!
    But seriously, will be thinking of you tomorrow. Best wishes. Sure all will go well and you will soon be a ‘new you’.
    Take care. Get well soon x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

SG! Wishing you all the very best tomorrow! Sorry, I must have missed a few bits of threads so didn’t realise xxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you ever so much for this thread, Wendy, SG and sunny……

I haven’t been doing too well, healthwise, or dietwise, but, I am going to try to at least improve December….
    love to all….
    xxxxx

• posted by caronl
    on

SG Thinking of you, and hoping that all went well today. xx

on

Hi there, thank you all. It was a very long and tiring day yesterday with a scan in the morning, surgeon in the afternoon followed by a meeting with the anesthetist and finally a meeting with the admissions officer to book myself in and choose a room. Came away with dozens of bits of paper, more blood tests needed, appointment with cardiologist arranged urgently (13th Jan) and insurance paperwork to sort out. I was quite surprised that the ops, anesthetist and board and lodging is going to be around €3200. I thought it would be much more.

When I first saw the surgeon we didnt know how serious it was. I had already had a doppler which showed blockage of the carotid artery. By then we had told the surgeon of our holiday plans so he has arranged everything around that. The scan yesterday confirmed exactly how bad it is but too late to get me booked in before we go away. 89% blockage and 75% risk of having a stroke. Anyway, I just have to be careful for the next 4 weeks, whatever that means. I know I cant help hubby shift a 70kg pool cover without bursting something but besides that I just have to get on as normal. I see my GP on Monday so will ask him as he speaks some English. I have been told if I have any problems with vision, speech or left sided pain or paralysis while in the UK I must go straight to A&E and take my scan results with me. So that is me for now.

Dietwise – yes I do still care. Well, while we were out yesterday and as I had been nil by mouth for the scan, we went to a very famous pataterie – translation, it is a baked potato heaven. First real potato in 6 years so I don’t feel too guilty. Had a couple of voddies last night but apart from that I am still going to stay on track until Tuesday when we start our travels. Weight is still hovering around 72.4kgs so hopefully down to 72 by Monday’s appointment.

Will now go and start packing and checking if I need to do any washing. Will keep in touch with Wendy but should be all quiet now until I have the op.

Bon week-end

• posted by wendleg
    on

We are all thinking of you, Denise. Yes…SG is Denise and I reckon she will forgive me that indiscretion.
    Go steady but don’t let it overshadow your Christmas break so you can’t enjoy yourself. Definitely no lugging pool covers about.
    You certainly deserved that baked spud and a few voddies! January will soon be here and you will be sorted .

My news is that the surgeon here agreed that hubby’s 2nd knee op should be postponed until April. Wise decision as he is not fully recovered. It means we didn’t need to rush back from the UK on the 26th December but hey ho we might not get out of Birmingham Airport if Border Control strikes take place 🤷‍♀️
    We have experience of overnight stays in airports 🙄.
    So like SG/ Denise we will be in the UK next week. I will check in when I can on my phone . There will be excesses…I know there will but hopefully nothing that cannot be dealt with on my return.!
    Let’s enjoy the holiday as we wish,reconnecting with family for sure.
    We will be back in January and if it is a bit of a struggle right now (Tulip / Clare ),dont put extra pressure on yourselves..just do your best xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl and Wendy enjoy your trips back to the UK. Be sure to bring plenty of warm clothes with you because it really is freeezzzing here! I don’t remember it being so cold for many years. Anyway, travel safely and enjoy!
    As for me I’m slowly losing the few extra ‘holiday’ pounds that came home with me. I’ve made a few discoveries over the last few days. Mint tea has the same effect as cleaning your teeth in stopping you eating! Food just doesn’t taste right in a ‘minty mouth’.
    The other revelation was porridge. I was so cold I had a bowl of porridge on Saturday morning for breakfast, which I very rarely eat, and I was full for the rest of the day! I know porridge is very carby but I think that the benefits outweigh that. Anyway, it tasted damn good with some stewed rhubarb mixed in!
    Hope everyone is keeping warm and still ‘treading water’. Have a good week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the update SG, and to everyone struggling please look after yourselves.
    To echo Verano, it is freezing here in the UK, the frozen fog and frost hadn’t melted from overnight Wednesday (was -6 on Thursday morning) and last night we had a few inches of snow overnight, which looks lovely. Luckily we are both working from home today.
    The last time I recall this cold and snow was 5 years ago, almost to the week, we had a project meeting at work which I had to attend and it took me more than 3 hours to drive the ~20 miles to work!
    Sitting here in 3 top layers, blanket on my lap and fingerless gloves while I type 🙂
    Soup on the go for lunch.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Brrr, like you I’m cosied up Ruby … luckily I haven’t had to leave the house at all today.
    Apologies for not being around over the past week. We got back to the UK last Tuesday and I haven’t managed to get back to normal eating yet, although yesterday wasn’t too awful and today is going okay so far. Have some unlabeled soup from the freezer, warming through for lunch and sensible dinner planned. Hoping to get proper control as the week wears on.

Best wishes to everyone planning breaks in the UK, hope you aren’t impacted by the weather or stroke action here and you’ll be able to enjoy your time, despite the temperatures here. Take care everyone.

on

Just popping in to say goodbye before we head off tomorrow morning. The car is stacked up to the gills with wine and suitcases. Good job we drive and dont fly.

All my medical arrangements are in place for when we get back. Saw my GP today for my regular check up and he looked so tired I was more worried about him than me. Besides the obvious new problems he was happy with my diabetes results and I weighed in at 72.2kgs thats 2kg less than last time.

So we are heading off to colder climes – though not much colder, we had snow here today and it is 3 degrees. Though minus 5 this morning.

Thank you again for all your good wishes and I hope to be back at the end of the year. Merry Christmas everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello friends !
    We are sitting in Toulouse airport waiting for our flight to Birmingham which is delayed by one hour 30 minutes so far 🙄.
    At least we got an update from Birmingham to say the flight had left so we will have a plane to go back on ….if there are staff,baggage handlers etc etc.
    It really puts me off travelling as it is so unpredictable these days.
    Yes as SG has said we have had very low temperatures in SW France too. No snow in our village though.
    I am wearing a long sleeved T shirt, a warm jumper, a woollen coatigan as well as my big winter coat,gloves and a snood ! I weigh a ton 😂
    I will be quiet again for a while catching up with family. Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas, enjoy every moment,above all stay warm and safe.
    We are thinking of you SG.
    Lots of love
    Wendy xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m still ticking along. I had a minor blip on Saturday when I indulged in some sweet things. I was surprised how much my tastebuds have changed in such a short time though just by cutting back on carbs a bit as even my mum’s Christmas baking tasted sickly sweet. She’s never used as much sugar as the recipe calls for either. Now that I’ve had my taste and not enjoyed it as much as I thought I would, it’s been quite easy to get back on track.
    We were very lucky here as over the weekend it warmed up quite a bit. We had some snow Friday and Saturday, but then yesterday was quite nice and I was able to catch up on the snow clearing before being back at work today. It was a positively tropical +3 C yesterday and still at +1 C today. I’m sitting here in my light woolen base layer top and a pair of jeans with some light wool socks. I was dressed too warmly for chores this morning and had to strip off all my layers. It will be colder through the week though and we have a daytime high of -19 C in the forecast for next Wed (overnight low of -26 C). I will have to ensure that I launder my thicker woolies next weekend in preparation.
    Verano – I have been having a ‘porridge’ as well on the cooler days. I have just a few oats and add in flax, chia, hemp seed or whatever other seeds I have on hand. Makes it a bit lower carb overall and for me it keeps me fuller longer. One of the things that shocked me when I was wearing the continuous glucose monitor was how much oats spiked my blood sugar. I ate them for decades as breakfast and always wondered why I was starving by 11am. My current version works better for me. We are all different though and if oats are keeping you full, that could mean that they may not spike your blood sugar the way they do mine and could be quite a good food for you.
    S-g – 2kg is fantastic! Hopefully once your other issue is sorted you can re-address the coming off insulin with your gp.
    Wendy – hope you have a great trip. Sounds like you are dressed for it!
    Ruby and SunnyB – I am having soup from the freezer tonight too. My mum made it and it is very bland, so I will spice it up and add a few chickpeas. I’m going to check out the soup thread again for some ideas for next week too. Any ideas appreciated!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

U was going to do a 24hr fast from 7.30 last night. BUT I had my flu and COVID vaccines yesterday and feel yuk so caved in at 17.30 hrs IF. Oh well.
    Have a great break Wendy and S-G hope the traveling hasn’t been too difficult. Merry Christmas all 🎄

• posted by Verano
    on

Just popping in to say “Hello”.
    Hope everyone is well and still ‘treading that water’!
    2023 is almost here so almost time to look back, learn, and move forward with renewed vigour into the new year.
    But, more importantly, before that, relax and enjoy the festivities!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hey all,

I feel awful at the moment….I’ve even ended up off sick from work this week- what started as fatigue has turned into awful depression, which is seriously un-festive…

nonetheless, I do need to so some actual prep and we are travelling to Midlands too later in the week….

sigh. And I am eating badly too.

I hope to do better soon

Love to all,
    Hope everyone enjoys lots of sprouts 😚😚😚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you’re having a rough time Tulip. Hope you’ll feel better soon and will be able to relax and enjoy the festive season. Just do what you can with regard to food and don’t worry about not being right on track … think we’re all up against it at the moment, with all the foodie temptations around. Be kind to yourself and join us here in the new year for a fresh start.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Tulip – just look after yourself. Try to eat nutrient dense foods when possible, but do go easy on yourself.
    It is seriously cold and snowy here. We had 10cm on Saturday and another 15cm last night and through this morning. It has been as cold as -26C, and is going to be even colder over the next couple of days, and with the windchill we’re probably going to be in instant frostbite territory on exposed skin. I’ve had to boost my carb intake. It just takes so much more energy to get daily chores done. I’m lucky that I have a new snow blower, as I would not have survived this week very well without it. But it’s still work and the snow is such fine powder that the wind blows it back over you in an icy shower when you’re trying to clear it.
    Breakfast today was coarse oatmeal and flax with pomegranate, cinnamon, walnuts and kefir. Lunch was cheese and avocado on rye bread. Dinner was lentil soup with lots of veggies and a bit of potato in it and some egg salad on the side. I’m still really hungry, so may have to have a couple more slices of cheese or something.
    It’s going to get warmer just in time for Christmas, so hopefully will be able to enjoy some time outdoors. Now that my hayfield is completely covered with snow, it may be time to get my skis out.

on

Hi everyone, just to let you know I am still around/alive. We have had several Christmas meals already by meeting up with different family members. However, i was at the gym today after a lovely long swim with daughter and did a Boditrax check and I am still around 72.6 kilos. Seems to work as I have been doing fasting and feasting and cutting out alcohol. So one meal out then 2 days strict, one what we call Danish Christmas with son in laws family and then again fasting for 2 days then we went to a pub quiz and did the same for a couple of days after. We were quite bad after our swim and went out for lunch but hey ho, think I can now say it is the holidays.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m here too….last weekend in the UK before we return to France on Boxing day.
    Enjoying family time,reconnecting with everyone and that includes family gatherings around the table.
    I am not stressing about any excesses. It will be handled in January.

Have a very happy Christmas everyone.Tulip/Clare …go gently and just do what you can,what feels good for you right now. This is no time to put more pressure on yourself.
    We will be here in January ..until then imagine one massive hug from us all 😚😚
    SG enjoy your family time too…
    It is 17 degrees in our part of France !😱
    Lots of love everyone 😙😙

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Merry Christmas, everyone. Hope you are enjoying your holidays.
    Well, I survived -39 C last week. It was gruelling trying to get outside chores done as best I could and to keep the house warm, hauling firewood, etc. I was able to work from home throughout, fortunately. Then it warmed up on Friday to -12 and we got another 15 cm of snow. Luckily our boss let us all off a few hours early in a nod to the holiday, so I was able to get out and clear snow while it was still light out. I spent Christmas eve and Christmas day catching up on all the chores that I couldn’t get done in the frigid temperatures before heading to my parents both evenings for dinner. I think I may have earned my Christmas calories? Christmas day was a balmy -3 C, and that made it so much more bearable to be outside for extended periods.
    In spite of some holiday excesses, I am feeling slightly less puffy. I have been doing some dry brushing and self lymphatic massage, and it seems to be helping some areas on my upper body. I have found a massage therapist in the city where my office is that does manual lymph drainage, so I’m thinking that might be worth investigating in the new year. I want to go into coming year’s growing season in much better shape than I was this year, so that will be my ‘why’ for the next few months.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hope everyone is enjoying the festivities.
    We managed to get away to the Algarve despite the Border Force strike. In fact the airport was the quietest I’ve see in in a long time.
    Anyway, enjoying temperatures around 20C, so sorry to hear of your punishing temperatures arctic. I just can’t conceive such cold. We had around -5 and that was bitter to me!
    Yesterday was a relatively quiet affair with lots of good food but no excesses. My treats were 2 halves of roast potatoes, Christmas pudding, which I love , and a couple of hero’s. So not bad all in all. I’m not consciously refusing anything carby I just don’t really fancy much sweet stuff my more. I had a pice of my ex favourite chocolate, cadburys dairy milk, and my goodness it was just so cloying. Give me 90% chocolate anytime!
    I think I’m going to end the year much where I started. No great losses report but then no significant gains!
    Nonetheless, I’m just about ready to stop “treading water” and get back to good “healthy eating”!
    Look forward to ‘seeing’ you all in the New Year.
    Wishing everyone a Healthy and Happy 2023.

on

Hi all, I am still around. Going home tomorrow and looking forward to some decent food. Last nights dinner was a choice between onion bhajis, samosas, pizza, rice balls, gozoas and spring rolls. Made up for it by doing an hour at the gym today, 30 mins on treadmill then 30 mins in the pool. My BG are completely out of whack and insulin increased from 8 units to 24 just to keep me around fasting 5.5. It will take me a couple of weeks to get those numbers down. The good news is I have only gained half a kilo.

Will report back when I get home.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I got back to France yesterday .Fortunately our return flight went smoothly and we got home without incident.
    Travel means fasting for me and after the Christmas Day excess it was easy. A lot of carbs were consumed ! I needed to regain the sensation of feeling hungry rather than mindless chomping.

Soup today and some eggs.
    Need to shop for veg tomorrow.

We just have a lunch invite on New year’s eve then I am going to do an 8 week Fast 800.

If that sounds a good plan I will start a weekly thread to run for 8 weeks from next Monday / Tuesday.
    I hope you have enjoyed the festivities and if like me there were treats then don’t panic ….we can deal with them xxx

Safe return SG and see you all next week xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad you’re safely home, Wendy. I’m up for eight weeks of Fast 800, so will join in on that. My festive season is ongoing and shamefully carby, although not as dire as it would have been in my ‘pre-BSD lifetime’. Still needs addressing though, so will be keen to knuckle down again in the new year.

SG, sounds like you have made a valiant effort to mitigate you indulgences. I’m sure you get full control quickly once home … safe journey back.

V, really pleased you got to the Algarve. You deserve the break away, especially after all the disappointments with trips cancelled this year.

Enjoy your new year everyone and I’ll look forward to catching up with you all in 2023.

on

Safely home but quite ill. I would say flu but I had my jabs before we went away. It is a terrible cough with aches and pains. Feels like I have bust a rib but probably strained an intercostal muscle. Spent the last 2 days in bed and hubby has just realised he has to feed me. I am sure I will be feeling much better by tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone.

• posted by caronl
    on

Happy New Year sunshine-girl. I hope you are feeling better – not a good way to start the year!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I heard that SG /Denise was feeling a bit better today . Good news for sure .

I am having a quiet day today, just going through my recipes and getting my new diary ready . I don’t really like the idea of ‘New Year, New You ‘ as if we are not good enough already 😉 but I definitely feel the need for a fresh start .

I suggested starting off a weekly thread to run for a Fast 8OO 8 week program . If you fancy joining in, feel free !

I’m off to set it up now !

Wendy xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Glad s-g is feeling a bit better today.
    I’m just about done ‘treading water’ and to be honest I’ve ducked underwater a few times.
    Saying that I’ve not eaten mindlessly.
    Today we had lunch in a lovely restaurant. We ate there last week as well and I had the same wonderful pasta dish!
    I’ve only eaten pasta once before in over 6 years and it was iffy. It just wasn’t the ‘joyful’ mouthful I’d expected. But I have to admit I felt no guilt this time. I think I’ve finally worked out that I can eat carbs sparingly but I also realise that if I choose really good food that I enjoy, then that’s fine.
    In saying that I’m not going on a carb fest but I do think, occasionally, it will do no harm, and will add a lot of pleasure to my life.
    So no resolutions for me this year. I going to eat sensibly, healthily and enjoy! I’m going to continue with two meals a day with three when I need them.
    Happy New Year and I hope 2023 turns out to be all you want it to be.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you for the well-wishes and understanding everyone 😍…..I do finally feel a bit better, since a couple of days before NYE, when I felt galvanised into cleaning action, pre-party! Today I went for a (very slow, run/ walk (restarted C25K) and hopefully have worked out how to fit exercise into the new work schedule 🤞🤞………although I am anxious about returning to work tomorrow, it’s always hard going back after illness I think…
    SG! i am sorry to hear you are poorly….I hope you feel much better soon.
    Arctic Fox- your arctic workload astounds me!! You are amazing.

Lots of love to everyone.
    Missing Lauren (florob), if you are about at all!!

xxxxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.