Thinking about starting the blood sugar diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by rosielx
    on

I’ve had a bit of a wake up call that my blood sugar was 37mmol which is apparently high. I’m a bit unusual as I’m an inflammatory bowel disease patient and have lots of my inside bits removed. I’m also disabled. This means that I don’t absorb vitamins properly and healthy food which tends to make me ill. I’m also living with irritable bowel syndrome as well. Means I end up living on a high carb and high sugar diet which really needs to change. I’m also overweight since I had children. I already do the 10,000 steps upwards a day and don’t drink alcohol or smoke.
    Is this easy to follow and family friendly?

• posted by JohnG
    on

Rosie, get the book/s and give it a go!
    I have battled with diets for years and like you a recent wake up call with blood sugar levels, made me do something about by diabetes and health.
    Ten weeks in and 17.8 kg later I am feeling great.
    All the best.
    JohnG
    Australia

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi rosieix, wow you have been through some challenging times and conditions. Now the 37mmol which, as I measure on a different scale, dont know how high that is but i am assuming pre-diabetes range. This diet can be as easy as you want it to be or you can be really strict and, yes it is not easy but only takes a couple of weeks to get used to it.
    If you want to get your BG down the first thing you have to try to control is the amount of carbs you eat and that includes all the starchy white stuff. Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, processed foods and the obvious cakes, biscuits etc. That will get your BG down significantly. Dont try to replace the carbs with other products like brown rice or pasta or wholemeal bread – they are all as bad as each other. Try making your usual meals, give the family what they would normally have with it i.e. potatoes etc and do yourself some extra vegetables. If you look on http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb there is a clear illustration of what foods are high in carbs. If you want to feel like you are having something similar to mash or rice there are ways to do that with mashed cauliflower, riced cauliflower, spirallized courgette. Just make a start, see how you get on and shout up with any questions – there will be lots as you get into it but we dont mind.
    Good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.