The 'Right' Fruit

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by David Knight
    on

Hi

Can anyone suggest a good selection for a fruit bowl

Thanks

David

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello David,
    Good fruits to choose would include berries (strawberries, blueberries, rasps, blackberries), maybe passionfruit
    I would try to avoid higher carb fruits such as bananas, apples, melon, peach, nectarine as it increases the carb intake. Unless of course you are having it very low anyway 🙂

• posted by Frog
    on

May not be in season now; don’t know if you can but it frozen, but Rhubarb is excellent – 5g of carbs per 100g
    not for a fruitbowl, obviously, but great with yogurt, porridge, cottage cheese – and if not overly sweetened, great as a vegetable with fish or lamb.
    I cook it with about 1 teaspoon of stevia per kilo of rhubarb -one recent was a bit tart, so I added a touch more after it was cooked.

Just googled and can’t find any frozen rhubarb , but several supermarkets still listing it – need to go to a big supermarket before the season is over!

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

I could use a cafe latte now myself! Well, I have to say that the selected fruit (Melon and Banana) have heavy sugar but not enough fiber in it. The others are good to eat she suggested. I also add plums. High fiber fruit is definitely necessary. But, what the hell do I know?

• posted by sajhdr
    on

I am a bit confused over the fruit issue. I know that the tropical fruits are sweeter but in the diet book there are recipes with Mango and Apple so does anyone have the answer to this?? Sadly I am living with other chronic health conditions alongside Diabetes and bananas are very good for my IBS.

on

Yeh! Mango is made by Monsanto and BAYER. Best to keep away from FrankenFruit!

• posted by Becca
    on

I was a bit confused on fruit myself, so did some research on the glycemic load of various fruits. Was not able to find them all– glycemic load studies are limited– but I included the ones that have been studied. This is based on standard serving sizes of each. In order of how much they raise your blood sugar, from best to worst (leaving me unclear as to why apples are said to be okay in Dr. Mosley’s book, but not melon, grapes, etc. Really, though, compared to grains, no fruits are bad, especially in moderation (i.e., not a whole bowlful of fruit salad, or at least blunt the blood sugar response with some nuts or cheese or something).

berries
    apricot
    grapefruit
    plum
    kiwi
    cantaloupe
    peach
    grapes
    pineapple
    watermelon
    pear
    mango
    orange
    apple
    banana

• posted by Becca
    on

To sajhdr: If you eat the banana with a little nut butter (which is delicious!) it won’t affect your blood sugar as much. You can lower the glycemic response of foods by eating protein, fat, fiber, or vinegar with them. Hope that helps.

• posted by Frog
    on

this site has really nice visuals of low carb fruits
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

they have a similar one for vegetables too – I have both printed out in colour and in clip frames on the kitchen wall.

• posted by SpringHaven
    on

PrincetonianStud, that would depend very much on where you live. No GM frankenfruit here yet. I just don’t eat fruit I don’t grow myself

on

SpringHaven, it sounds like you want to live longer and not be food poisoned by eugenics freaks today. 🙂 Here in the US it is getting worse on GM foods. Even salmon is a tough one all of the sudden. Farm raised fish.

Bye now. it is 6 even for the first set with Del Potro and Johnson. Chat you later!

GO DEL POTRO! (Yes, I am not rooting for the American!)

• posted by wendyq
    on

Frog,that website Low Carb Fruit and Veg is very informative,I learned a lot.I eat far too much fruit,could easily make up my 800 calories with mostly fruit!

Please log in or register to post a reply.