The Frog Diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

I have no idea how many carbs in a frog, and no plans to eat any!

Day 17 – I’ve lost 4 kilos since I started, slower than I’d hoped, and my weight frustratingly hovers and see-saws up and down.
    Generally in the right direction though, although I occasionally think about buying new scales.

Pre BSD I ate loads of carbs – even when dieting, I’d eat toast or bread instead of cake or chocolate – so I’m surprised that I’m finding it relatively easy to stick to, even when eating out – although that is leading to a huge reliance on Prezzo and Japanese for sashimi.

Short term goals – a further two kilos by next Sunday, exercise and/or long walks on at least four days this week
    – I managed 16k steps on a walk today, about 8 miles, and not in the least tired – hopefully I won’t be stiff in the morning!

Long term target – get to 55kg – that will be 50kg loss in total, half the weight I was in 2013, and would give me BMI of 21
    – or size 12 – I have no idea what size I might be when.if I get to 55kg, so will review this as I’m losing weight.

• posted by Frog
    on

Yeah – LOTS of exercise yesterday – 16k steps was 7.5 to 8 mile walk to Victoria Park and back along the canal, and LOTS of fluid, and my weight is down 0.6kg – I know it could equally go up again, but encouraging!
    Probably the most excercise and fluid since I started this diet – will aim to repeat & see if that is the key

• posted by Frog
    on

Down a further 0.3kg today – a full 5kg total loss in twenty days, despite the cake.
    I ran out of time in the afternoon, but fitted in a six mile walk. Kayaking and a gym induction today.

• posted by Frog
    on

End of week three – 96.7kg, 5.3kg gone
    I seem to have cracked the plateau problem – regular loss of around 0.3kg a day
    If that trend continues through the next few days, I should achieve 1 stone loss by the weekend,
    I think I drank a bit less yesterday, probably two litres of water and 1 litre of tea, and a coffee.
    but a fair bit of exercise – boat club in the morning, gym in the afternoon and around 8,000 steps
    midnight snack of a couple of oatcakes – wonder if t would have been more without them?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Frog, I’d love some advice on how you cracked the plateau?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Frog you’re doing well I hope you crack that stone soon!

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Izzy – nearly there! Sorry to read that you’re not feeling great – hopefully you’ll sleep OK & feel better in the morning.

I went to a knife skills course this evening, which was fun (main learning point was to buy decent knives and keep them very sharp!)

Baristagirls – I did three things all at the same time, so not sure whether it was one of them, or a combination of the three:

1) Drastically increased my activity and exercise levels
    10-11 thousand steps a day – have also started wearing trainers more, and carrying smart shoes to change into if I need to – I know I walk faster in trainers, I don’t have a fitbit, but a fairly good pedometer that calculates aerobic steps as well as ordinary ones, so trying to up the percentage of aerobic steps
    2) Increased the volume of liquids I’m drinking
    Previously 1-2 litres of tea, and maybe two or three glasses of water – now I’m aiming to drink at least two litres of water.
    3) Taking a senna tablet when I think I need it.
    there is a thread on constipation if you search for it – varying suggestions, but I know that I detest the texture of psyllium husks. Maybe I should just go back to the original version of metformin, rather than extended release one!

• posted by Frog
    on

spoke too soon – my weight was the same today!
    – and yesterday I walked 12,000 steps and only ate 660 calories – the day I had cake for lunch I lost 0.3kg – go figure!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Frog, maybe you needed to eat the 800 cal!

• posted by Timmy
    on

I wouldn’t worry about staying the same weight as the day before. Several things can make weight fluctuate on a day to day basis; water retention, ladies things, even going to the loo! The most important thing is the trend over a period of time.

On a side note, frog is a delicious and nutritious source of lean protien ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Frog
    on

wishful thinking – it will be a while before I provide anyone with lean protein!
    not too worried – at least it didn’t go up – just a bit frustrating!
    After hovering around the same weight for a bit for over a week, one day up, the next down, I had a steady run of loosing 0.3k a day – I thought I’d cracked it.

Baristagirls – how are you doing today? Wasn’t deliberately less – I just aim for an average 800cal, if some are a bit over, some are a bit less – I was just surprised that on a ‘bit less’ day when I was fairly active, my weight didn’t move!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Frog, yes its strange the way we never lose/gain weight in a predictable manner!
    Still tired with brain fogs and a desire for more food. But this is week 3! surely it must pass.

• posted by Frog
    on

Can’t help there, I’ve really not been headachey or hungry at all (mind you I’ve overeaten for so many years, I’m not sure that I know what being hungry is – “i want, I want” cravings – yes absolutely, but hungry? Not sure that I’d recognise it).

I treated myself to M&S Feta Cheese pastries (12g of carbs for 2), a bit like Turkish borek – delicious
    the amazing thing – I only had two, not all four in the pack – AND I finished the plateful salad before I started the second pastry

Pre BSD I would have wolfed the pack (or bought a pack of those AND a pack of a similar pastry with a different filling) – and certainly eaten most of the pastries first – and probably not had much of a salad, maybe a tomato or two, possibly a lettuce leaf!

• posted by Frog
    on

I just had breakfast and weighed the beans – I did weigh initially, then have been judging by eye for a few days. My portion size has gravitated DOWN from 100g to 80g – that’s less than 40% of the recommended portion size on the can!

Weight stuck at 96.7 again – late night snack attack on the open packet of artichokes won’t have helped with that.

• posted by thepolly
    on

I find it weird that chicken seems to spike me sometimes, yes – healthy chicken lol. I’m thinking that maybe I should only be eating organic as it’s possibly the hormones and other junk they treat them with – even though I buy free-range as much as possible.

Have had lots of plateaus, was a bit obsessive about weighing myself to begin with but it’s probably counter productive.

All losses are good though ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Frog
    on

Yeah, finally, my weight starts with 95! 95.7kg
    And a full stone lost – just under 4 weeks (6.3kg)

Finally off of another plateau – what was different? Not a lot – I did have a fasting blood test, so was very rigid about not eating late (after 10.30pm) and I didn’t have breakfast until about 11, so maybe try to repeat that more.
    I used to often skip breakfast, but on restricted calories I feel less inclined to do that most mornings.
    No choice today – GP had only ticked Lipids on the form, not HbA1c, so I have to pick up another form and go back to the phlebotomy centre – I could get the bus, but its an OK 4 mile walk there and back.
    About 15k steps yesterday, 11k of them ‘aerobic’ on my pedometers criteria

• posted by Frog
    on

I know it’s only tiny, but no plateau – a further 0.1kg gone – so officially “over a stone” lost – none of the 13.84lb, the additional 0.1kg makes it 14.04lb – whew-hew!
    Ate very early last night – 6pm, a glass of wine at 7pm, then only a dash of milk in tea later on.
    Weather was mostly foul, only walked about 8,000 steps

• posted by Honeybob
    on

Hi Frog – just noticed that you’ve mentioned your dependence on Prezzos – we’re eating there at the weekend for Father’s Day and I’m wondering what I can eat from there without totally derailing my diet? I’m currently on day 3 with a cracking headache – but I can feel that I’ve lost weight already!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Honeybob
    they have a steak and rocket salad, which is lovely – literally just rocket with lean steak on top, olives and tomatoes – ask for the dressing on the side
    there’s also a prawn and Italian sausage salad, chicken and avocado – and a delicious crab salad – there are others too but I haven’t tried those.
    A couple of weeks ago one of the specials was sea bass, which was fine (with potatoes, but I left most of those).

I discovered yesterday that Cafe Rouge also has good options, so I’ll be a less frequent visitor at Prezzo!

Have a lovely meal

• posted by Honeybob
    on

Thanks frog – I don’t like steak but the other salads sound lovely – I was worried I’d not have any choice but it sounds as though there will be several yummy choicesโ˜บ๏ธ – thanks again x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I had to eat on King’s Cross Station last week and decided on Prezzo as they had most choice. I went for the steak and rocket salad too. It was delicious.

But there were other great choices too. Enjoy.

• posted by Frog
    on

Are you settled back at home now Lynne?
    I’m off to Edinburgh tomorrow for a week – the focus of time away is often finding nice restaurants, but I shall take inspiration from your trip to Italy!

• posted by Honeybob
    on

Thanks Lynne – I am feeling better about eating there now after yours and frogs replies – I had only ever really pasta dishes there before, with lots of wine and scrummy deserts! I know I’ll have to go without the wine and pud but just needed to know I’d be able to find something for a main course๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Frog
    on

Weird morning – I weighed myself and disappointed to see I’d but on a tiny bit from yesterday. Weighed myself again to check the scales a few times, no change.
    Cleared the dishwasher, wiped the kitchen counter tops, nothing strenuous – about fifteen minutes after the first time, no drinks or food, hadn’t been to the loo, scales hadn’t been moved, same clothes – weighed myself again and 0.5kg lighter. (double checked several times again – triple checked/quadruple checked???)
    Either I need to empty the dishwasher on a more regular basis, or buy new scales!
    Can anyone recommend inexpensive scales that they think are reliable?

Anyway, 95.3kg today – UNDER 15 stone!

I’m on holiday for a week, so no scales – will try really hard to follow Lynne’s example!
    Have forgotten my pedometer, I need to load one of those phone apps that counts steps.

My new skechers GoWalk shoes arrived last night – I thought I’d try them on at home for a bit, but spent the evening thinking they weren’t as comfy as I’d expected. When I took them off they still had protective card inside each shoe.
    Very comfortable without the card insoles.

• posted by Timmy
    on

LOL! That make me giggle about the shoes.

I’m going to buy one of those Osram body composition monitor things where you have to hold a handle. I think they’re about ยฃ50. If you’re just after scales though, I’d just go on Amazon and buy the cheapest one with 5 stars.

What phone have you got out of interest? If it’s an iPhone 5s or later there is a really good app called pedometer++

As well as steps it also says how many floors you’ve climbed.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Frog… your / uncomfortable shoe story has me giggling out loud…๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚people next to me giving me ‘strange’ looks, perhaps they suspect I am deranged…??

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Timmy – I’ve got a motorola rather than an Iphone – I found an article earlier, fairly recent, with 5 recommended pedometer apps for android , so I’ll have a look later on.
    I’ll ponder on the scales and have a look when I get back.

glad the shoes amused you both!

• posted by Frog
    on

Fire alarm in the hotel – I’d already woken up, so not too disruptive – five flights of stairs no problem (and old building with very high ceilings, so long flights)
    I had grabbed my handbag that had been by the door, so dived into Macdonalds for a tea, thankfully first in the queue, as they were quickly overwhelmed. Not tempted by breakfast options. Although I’d grabbed small handbag so I had essentials of cash, card & phone if it was a real incident, gobsmacked by the number of people that thought it was a good idea to lumber cases down the stairs and presumably delay everyone else’s exit.
    Reminded of a fire alarm in a building a few years ago when I was on 21st floor – and so many people I had to walk up again as well. I was reasonably fit at the time, but a day or so later I almost went to GP because of sudden pains in my legs – then realised it was all the stairs I’d done in the evacuation.

totted up my liquid intake yesterday – fairly easy because I’m travelling, so all bottled water – about 3 litres of water and two litres of tea.

And Pizza at Prezzo, despite the nice salads I’ve been raving about- it was cold, I wanted to eat something hot.
    Their light Pizzas aren’t too bad – a smallish thin flat bread, which I estimate from looking on flatbread nutrition on waitrose’s site maybe 50 carbs, and less than 500 calories according to the Prezzo menu, plus I didn’t have any salad dressing, which I assume was in the calorie count.

• posted by Izzy
    on

That wasn’t the best start to the day Frog but at least there wasn’t a fire! Sounds like you are doing well on your trip and the pizza sounds like a good compromise meal for when out! Not perfectly BSD but not outrageous either. We are learning food awareness and moderation.

Sketchers can be very comfy but definitely without the card haha.

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning Izzy – congratulations on getting all your shelves up yesterday

• posted by Izzy
    on

thanks, it looks much nicer our old stuff was all missmatched. Still need to tidy up though lol!

Are you doing anything exciting today?

• posted by Frog
    on

I have a manicure & pedicure booked first thing, I didn’t get time before I came away, then the plan is to go to the Modern Art Gallery – there are two buildings and outdoor sculptures, but I have a backup list of reserve galleries for later, depending on how time goes. The weather isnt great today, so mostly indoor stuff.
    I prebooked tickets for the zoo and Pandas on Monday – I thought I’d avoid more crowds than by going at the weekend, and it looks as if the weather is due to cheer up from Sunday, so fingers crossed!

• posted by Izzy
    on

That all sounds lovely and I’m sure you’re right about the zoo being quieter on Monday as all the schools are still in for another couple of weeks. You’ll get a lot of exercise walking around as well ๐Ÿ™‚

Fingers crossed for lovely Monday weather.

• posted by Frog
    on

After a really nice meal (beef bourgignon, left all but a single forkful of potato, not desert), I got an attack of munchies on the way back to the hotel, had to have chocolate. Local sainsburys had a very resistable selection of cadbury’s etc – BUT some “Graze” packs. Deconstructed chocolate cherry cake, yum. Not good, but better than desert. And I did do lots of waking yesterday
    A few very good dark chocolate buttons, semi dried cherries and pecans – 180 cals and 22 carbs I think. Oh well, could have been worse.
    Only problem is that I now know these very lush treats are a five minute walk away, MUST RESIST!!!

I did get a mini pack of seeds as well – probably a very expensive way of buying them, but I got hungry very early yesterday, so will add them to my breakfast yoghurt. Its called Omega mix, 50p for 25g

• posted by Izzy
    on

you are making much healthier and better thought out choices Frog. Goes to show your attitude to food is changing!

I hope it stays sunny all day for you today!

• posted by Frog
    on

the sun had gone in again by the time I went out this morning – more galleries, but it’s been gloriously sunny this afternoon, and I went to the botanical gardens.

Had an amazing meal this evening – all very sensible stuff, but probably too much, and I’m just not used to eating two courses any more.
    I had white fish in a beurre blanc sauce with vegetables (I didn’t think I like cauliflower, but even that was delicious – I think I’ve probably only tried it when it’s been a bit overcooked before), followed by cheese. Epoisses cheese, which I don’t think I’ve eaten before, and it was so delicious it was hard to stop eating it. Quite a strong flavour, so you’d probably want to eat less than something mild. But as a second course, it was very filling.
    I just want to lie down and go to sleep now

• posted by Izzy
    on

sounds great ๐Ÿ™‚ and panda day tomorrow!

edited to add… not tomorrow, Monday! I’ve got my days in a muddle :/

• posted by Frog
    on

well remembered,, yes, pandas tomorrow Izzy
    Just as well – I’ve been walking so much I feel really stiff this morning.

I’ve been having yoghurt every morning for breakfast while I’ve been here – think I fancy eggs and bacon today.

• posted by Izzy
    on

yummy! enjoy your day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Izzy – had the yoghurt in the end after yesterdays overindulgences!

what are you up to today

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m going on a little road trip with the kids. My parents live 65 miles away so we’re going to get my daughter a new watch, have lunch and then visit my folks ๐Ÿ™‚

Hubby is at work so we’ll be back to see him later.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hope that you had a good day Izzy.
    Panda was brilliant

Home tomorrow I have a feeling I’ve not done as well as Lynne on my time away! but hopefully not too horrendous

• posted by Izzy
    on

Glad you got to see a panda! Might plan a day trip for the kids to see them if we can soon.

Safe journey home!

• posted by Frog
    on

the panda was brilliant (I did onle see one!)
    Because it was a quiet day, I was able to see them twice. When I asked for a second ticket, the response was “oh, were they asleep?” – when I replied that no, he’d been outside when I got there, moved inside, then sat around eating bamboo, the desk attendant was quite surprised. On my second visit, he was still sitting inside eating bamboo, but a woman I was standing next to said it was her third trip to the zoo since the pandas had arrived, and the first time she’d seen one.

I got home to a fairly happy cat, I have a new cat sitter that she likes a lot. Today I was working, and thought I’d get time to come home directly after work, but didn’t, so she was a bit cross! I was at the local monthly cookery club tonight though, and we are encouraged to bring left overs home, so a good dollop of freshly made chicken liver pate followed by lamb steak, and I think I’m forgiven.

Delicious recipe for french beans – essentially roasted, I will check the recipe is BSD friendly and post it here – I like french beans anyway, but these tasted truly amazing.

I didn’t lose weight in Edinburgh, but only put a pound on, so not too distraught, I did go to some really nice restaurants (and found myself in a coffee shop/bakery that had won the “Best Cake in Scotland award” in 2014/15 and 2015/16. I did really go in just for coffee, but it would have been rude not to try one! So, not quite emulated Lynne’s feat!

BUT – I got the results of the blood tests I did at the start of last week before I went away (after four weeks of BSD)
    HbA1C – was 112.9, now 107.4
    Cholesterol – was 7.9, now 5.4
    Liver/lipids – not sure of exact measurements now and before, but now well within the normal range

back to BSD with a vengeance tomorrow.
    I also bought home left over marinade from cookery club, so will rush out and buy some lamb steaks tomorrow morning to use it before it goes off.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Glad your cat forgave you!

I think that one cake and a 1lb gain after a nice trip is ok. It’s unrealistic to expect to live the rest of our lives without occasionally having something off plan, the secret is to keep it in check and balances which you have done. Now you can continue the journey.

Those results are brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Lucky cat Frog :-))) Sounds yummm…
    Great you got to see Pandas.

• posted by Frog
    on

Yeah – four days away, lots of nice things to eat, but mostly BSD – and I’ve lost half a kilo.
    Nine kilos altogether in 7 weeks.

Supermarket shopping on the way home, I bought some work trousers in Sainsbury’s sale (reduced to ยฃ3!!) – size sixteen, and too tight, but I got them knowing they’re a size down, but they do actually do up – and a bra that is two sizes down from where I started, and again, too tight, but does do up!!
    And the black jeans that I ‘found’ in the wardrobe, four weeks ago are almost at the end of their window!

• posted by Frog
    on

I misjudged the amount of water in the gram flour flatbread this morning- I’d got it down to a fine art, but a few days of not making any and it was a bit disastrous. I thought the water would just ‘steam off’ as it cooked, but when I went to flip it over and it was still a soggy mess – I cooked the rest in a smaller pan and it was sort of OK.
    Also, I put cherry tomatoes in the egg poaching water at the end of cooking – it warmed them through nicely, with none of the mess from cooking them (and no added fat or oil).
    – so one success, one fail! the stuck on gram batter came off the pan quite quickly after soaking.

• posted by Frog
    on

Went to a seminar/networky thing this afternoon – in the pre-event coffees, the biscuits were labelled with a calorie count (101 for a not very large shortbread, the chocolate cookies were higher)

sadly the calorie counts didn’t extend to the canapes, but I stuck with teaspoons of roast guinea fowl – very pleasant, don’t think I’d eaten that before, on a pea puree, and teaspoons of salmon mousse, which I think was fairly innocuous. Fairly disciplined with wine, so everything went well until I found myself next to a bowl of extremely good roasted nuts (and a boring delegate) moved to another table!

I found some trousers to wear that I bought about six years ago for my graduation – they were far too tight then, and I got fatter after that, so it was the first time in ages I’d worn them. The waist felt as if it fitted when I tried them on, but once I was out, I realised that they were sitting extremely low, and the waist is easily 3 inches too big, and the hips, on trousers designed to be fitted, were flapping around with a spare fistful of fabric on each side. My jacket, that I purchased earlier this year, when I first wore it in March, sort of fitted, but was sort of edge to edge and not quite meeting to do up, now overlaps by about five inches.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Frog that’s great. Ill-fitting, but great.

All my jackets do up comfortably, and the tops which were snug fitting and I didn’t risk tumbledrying are now loose.

Are you off clothes shopping? It is the Summer Sale after all …….

Please log in or register to post a reply.