The BSD worked for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chris53
    on

After being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in March this year with a reading of 51mmol/mol and high cholesterol l decided that l must manage this.
    Having read about the BSD and its possible success in controlling and at maybe reversing. l thought why not.
    I started in April and finished at the end of May. The first two to three weeks were not easy,as well as blurred vision l even had gout but things soon improved.
    I have just had my first diabetic review since my diagnosis with brilliant results.
    My HbA1c is now 36mmol/mol and cholesterol of 4.1.
    I have also shed almost three stone in weight and maintained that since completing this diet.
    The fact that l was diagnosed early may have helped.
    I would say to anyone who is in a similar situation to give it a try. The fact l lost weight rapidly gave me great encouragement.
    I kept to the diet, walked every day 10000 steps,and used weights.
    If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Thank you BSD
    Chris

• posted by SMJ786
    on

Hi Chris,

First of all congratulations on your results and sticking to the plan. Just received my blood test results and my HbA1C is 57 I also need to lose several stones, my doc seems to want to go down medication route but I want to try an alternative first which BSD seems to give me, before medication can be started another blood test is required to confirm values plus doc is off for a couple of weeks so I have a bit of time to start BSD and hopefully convince him about the alternative approach.
    As I am about to start my journey I would be grateful for some advice/info.

During April and May were you on BSD were you taking medication for D2 ?

Are you taking anything now that you have lowered you HbAc1 values ?

One thing that concerns me is what ones diet looks like after the 8 weeks are over, since you completed the initial 8 weeks in May have you moved onto more regular eating plan or have you continued on restricted calories?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

SMJ what an incentive to get on this plan, Show your doctor that you have taken control and don’t need meds. Meds just lead to more problems so you need meds for your meds. Go for it and good luck.

• posted by chris53
    on

Hi SMJ
    After my diagnosis my main aim was to avoid medication, the fact l reversed it was a bonus.
    I told my doctor about this diet and he gave me the go-ahead to try. Again l have not taken any medication.
    If your next blood test is in two weeks if you start this now you will see a improvement in your results.
    My typical menu for a day would be milky porridge for breakfast.scrambled egg for lunch and for evening meal meat and vegetables.
    I did not touch bread or potatoes and no alcohol during my eight week diet
    Now l eat much the same, dark chocolate 90% and alcohol at weekends.
    Plenty of water, a regular hourly walk each day and strength training.
    I used the suggested recipes in the book but porridge l had every day to keep me going.
    I can’t put it any other way but the first two weeks was absolute hell but you will notice the weight loss which is a great motivator.
    Good luck.

• posted by SMJ786
    on

Thanks for the words of encouragement and quick responses😊

I am on day 3 of my journey, hasn’t been too bad so far but I now it’s early days yet, just taking it one day at a time, though I am planning a week in advance so I have no excuses!

Currently following the original “Newcastle diet” I.e. 3 shakes followed by a veggie meal ( currently soups) in the evening. After week 2 (may be week 4) will start replacing shakes with meals from the book; thought I would keep in simple to start with.

Hopefully I have caught this early enough to reverse, but worst case scenario at the end of this phase I should be closer to my ideal weight….

Please log in or register to post a reply.