TAKE A LOOK AT THIS ……

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I listened to a podcast this morning which is a recording of an interview between two scientists one of which is Dr Bikman. – Its one of those conversations that may not be for the fainthearted, but it expands on the principles of decoupling. – Those of us who are very slow losers are in that situation because our metabolism is very efficient, we only need low calorie intake. – Decoupling is the process when our metabolism less efficient. – so our bodies are able and willing to waste energy, by generating heat. – Also there is quite an interesting range of discussions on the benefits of using ketones as a fuel. https://www.breaknutrition.com/episode-26-dr-bikman-well-behaved-fat-good-insulin-signaling-ftw/

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Californiagirl
    Sounds like an interesting read. I was just saying to one of my children (who is having problems at work) not to back away from recognising when they’ve failed at something. Whenever I failed at something at work I hated it, but like your man says, it was definitely when I learnt the most. I might look him up on google.
    The other thing I had to learn was not to beat myself up for failing and that it’s not a personality defect. That was a hard one for me!
    Jennie xx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Julia,
    Thanks for posting this – came at the right time. I think for those of us that are perfectionists and all or nothing people (I’ve always thought the two are one and the same), this is really important. Learning to acknowledge the failure and learn from it (i.e. next time, if I have one off-plan thing, don’t then assume the whole day is a write-off and keep binging). I feel like I am constantly researching and searching for tweaks I can make to this WOE within the overall guidelines because we are all different and what works for one, may not work for another – as you mentioned, the Egg Fast is a great example. So thank you for inspiring me to not give up!👋

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Call out to KrysiaD. Not sure this is the right place, but here goes. A couple of days ago I read a post where someone was talking about macular degeneration and they had been having injections in their eyes. That is terrible and I wouldn’t want that to happen to anyone and in this case the treatment might have been the only course of action. However, someone else commented in the post that macular degeneration was irreversible and I would suggest that that is mainly true. But I would like to refer people to posts in 2016 by KrysiaD who was suffering from this problem and was on the verge of having serious treatment and then started this diet and the problem was reversed. I dont think I have got this wrong but looked back at KrysiaD’s posts and found one called Macular Degeneration Improvements Since Stating BSD. If you type those words in the Search engine you will find it. It might be worth a look if you are worried about this problem or been told you have it. Maybe if Krysia is still around she could give us the low down and an update.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I came across an article about building muscle when in ketosis the other day that I thought others on the forum would enjoy. Not only is the article clearly written, but the author has also provided a long list of references to research at the end of the article which may provide nuggets of information.

https://hvmn.com/blog/keto-diet/building-muscle-on-keto-an-evidence-based-guide

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    How to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    I came across this video from lowcarbdownunder 2019. It’s a presentation by Robert Szabo and provides a general overview of the ways in which T2 diabetes can be reversed/put into remission. Thought it might be helpful for anyone newly diagnosed with Type II. It’s also up to date as it’s from July 2019.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=robert+szabo+low+carb+down+under&view=detail&mid=F27E6C0EFC539ED7D314F27E6C0EFC539ED7D314&FORM=VIRE

Also, for anyone interested you can find free versions of the 2 systematic review papers mentioned in his presentation if you do a google search for their titles.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Well it’s that time of the year again when the ‘diet’ programs and books etc. etc. abound!
    So Tom Kerridge, who lost all his weight with low-carb, is back on our (UK) screens yet again on Wednesday BBC2 at 8.30pm. This time he is extolling the virtues of intensive exercise and handing out some low calorie recipes. Sound familiar!
    To make switching on the tv worthwhile prior to this 8pm channel 2, we have a new series of ‘Trust me I’m a Doctor’ the first one looking at how to incorporate a little exercise into each day.
    For any newcomers to this way of (WOE) eating there are some really good references in this thread so maybe worth a read.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Verano mentioned on another thread about the serialisation of Professor Roy Taylor’s book on Type II diabetes in one of the UK’s newspapers. I missed the initial article so bought the book instead (only £5 for kindle version on Amazon) and thought it’d be an idea to include it on this thread.

It’s title is “Life Without Diabetes: The definitive guide to understanding and reversing your type 2 diabetes”. It focuses on the causes of Type II diabetes and how to reverse it. The method is similar to Michael Mosley’s in the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet but Roy Taylor’s diet advocates the use of meal replacement ‘shakes’ for the first 8 weeks before moving on to real food. Roy Taylor wrote the introduction to the 8 week BSD and MM acknowledges the role of Roy Taylor’s ideas in developing the BSD so I’m sure he won’t mind me mentioning it here.
    For people with Type II diabetes it’s worth thinking about adding this book to your collection, buying it for the background info if for nothing else. He is one of (if not the) leading researcher on Type II in the UK. His clinical research has often underpinned the work of others. The first Jason Fung video I saw in 2016 used RT’s ‘twin cycle hypothesis’; he was mentioned on a Ben Bickman interview I saw and I’ve seen other international experts refer to his work – usually in small print on a slide! For me, he’s up there with Jason Fung, Michael Mosley and Ben Bickman.
    Also, while I won’t be doing the ‘Newcastle’ diet i.e. using shakes (I’m already in remission and with normal BMI) for anyone with Type II who is thinking of it, this is The Book to go along with it.
    Jennie xx

n.b. Not on commission – honest!

• posted by Verano
    on

I also have the book but also read much of the serialisation in the newspaper. Just one point I would like to make is that Prof. Roy Taylor is the ‘founding father’ and leader in diabetes research! He has spent 40 years researching and the BSD is based on his research. I agree Jennie that I wouldn’t use shakes but he used them in his research as it was easier to monitor. His book contains lots of interesting recipes and it’s definitely possible to reverse diabetes without shakes. I think he advocates them as for many it’s easier to monitor calories and the weight loss is speedy which is encouraging. But he also notes that it doesn’t really matter if you take much longer to lose weight, as long as you lose it, the chances are that you can reverse T2.
    Well worth a read!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I found the serialization of Roy Taylor’s book just by googling ‘Roy Taylor Daily Mail’. Lots of great recipe ideas there. I was surprised at how good they look. I may try some. I’m also not using shakes as I just don’t find a liquid diet very satisfying. This goes back to my competitive swimming days when they were trying to get us to drink smoothies before morning practice to give us lots of energy. With my reactive hypoglycemia, I just couldn’t do it. I would feel weak and light-headed halfway through. I think my body just digests liquids far too quickly and even if the shakes are made up of ‘healthy’ thinks like fruit, it doesn’t seem to matter. However, they might make a nice treat once in a while. Last night, for instance, I had a few extra calories remaining in my budget after dinner, so I modified the ‘Turkish Delight’ one. I didn’t have rose water, so it just became a chocolate shake, with almond milk instead of regular milk because I didn’t need the extra calories and protein. It seemed to satisfy the urge to reward eat that I always seem to have on Fridays after I’ve been working all week.
    Here are a couple of the links:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-7880137/Check-revolutionary-new-eating-plan-longer-life.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7892763/Mouth-watering-family-feast-recipes-trim-confident-motivated.html

• posted by caronl
    on

Bump.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks Annie, some interesting looking recipes there. Like the sound of the gnocchi.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Reason for LDL Increase for Some on a Low Carb Diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ

I’ve just posted this short video clip on another thread and thought it’d be useful to post it here, too. I found it helpful as my cholesterol initially went up when I started BSD (during the weight loss phase) and then dropped down and lower after my weight had stabilised, so this explanation makes complete sense.

It’s not a great recording so it might be worth putting the words up. There’s also a summary slide at the end of the clip.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I went on to watch this podcast today. – I think this is someone who’s work may be helpful for forum members in the future. He is a surgeon who is clear that for many treating those who are overweight through surgery only lasts for a limited period. It appears that his practice is moving towards working on the emotional reasons for eating patterns and particularly the emotional drivers for eating carbs, and he is moving towards doing pod casts and putting a book together on how they work with their patients
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhutHtKV26g

• posted by wendleg
    on

VERY interesting JGwen ! I have time on my hands here so I went to investigate Dr Robert Cywes .
    I found him on diet doctor too

https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doctor-podcast-19-dr-robert-cywes

What he says about carbs being ‘an endorphin activating substance’ to help us soothe emotions totally resonated with me .
    ” Obesity is a substance abuse problem, not a calorie problem ”
    Choosing carbs to ease emotional needs is only going to work short term ( like a smoker having a cigarette or a drinker having a drink )
    It’s only when you choose to be healthy rather than choose carbs to ease your emotional needs that you can begin to heal
    That makes sense to me !

Thanks again JGwen…you are a star !!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendleg,

There were two points that resonated with me. – That its learned behaviour to associate food with changes in state, for example, my urge to eat even when not really hungry because its time to finish work for the evening. – Which brings with it the difficulty in finding an alternative that generates the same feeling – because the training from childhood is about hand to mouth action, as part of normal change of state. The knitting helps keep my hands busy, while watching TV but it would be good to find alternatives that are more attractive.

Also the need to have a coffee between jobs is linked to his idea that our brains need a way of switching between projects.

What I take as a positive is that I have got in touch enough with how I feel that I realised I wasn’t eating / drinking because I was hungry / thirsty but because of emotions. Now I know what drives those emotions I can think about solutions more.

In the longer of the two pod casts he mentioned that he was putting some pod casts up on his own website as part of preparing for a book on the subject. I think I will hunt out that website. I think this is information that would help me over the hurdles in incorporating longer fasts. Was it you who mentioned a book on emotional eating that you found helpful? Could you remind me please of the details of the book.

Was it you who mentioned a book about emotional

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes JGwen and the idea that snacks are a search for an endorphin rush, never for nutrition. He talks about finding bridges rather than snacks ( a simple example would be having a a coffee rather than a carby food)

I read a long interview on the dietdoctor website and he mentioned Zoe Harcombe. I have a couple of her books and greatly respect her approach ( she had an eating disorder)
    I particularly recommend her books :
    “Why do you over eat ? When all you want is to be slim ?”
    « Stop counting calories and start losing weight ”
    and especially
    ………….. »The Diet Fix, how to lose weight and keep it off »

They all tackle emotional eating.

I like the fact that Dr Cywes is a bariatric surgeon ( also was seriously obese himself) and looks at the whole picture and in particular our addictive relationship with carbs rather than the surgical quick fix.

Yes, finding alternatives to the established habits is the key and you are doing well in that sense. I have to break the association of coffee and chocolate albeit 95 or 100% cacao. That’s crucial right now as I am at home and not very mobile in recovery just yet.

It’s really useful when you find these interesting videos and podcasts and even though I have broken a lot of long established poor eating habits, I still need a booster jab now and again !!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

JGwen, co-incidently I watched that very episode of the Diet Doctor podcast with Dr. Cywes just this weekend. I too found it very interesting and a helpful way of viewing emotional eating. I have been humming along pretty positively for the last little while, but a big upset at work sent me back to old habits this evening. What is interesting though is that it perhaps hasn’t given me much of a buzz and hasn’t really made me feel much better. Probably because eating so much doesn’t really feel very good anymore. I’m also wondering if I was really looking for an endorphin rush when I did it before. It seems more likely that I was doing it to numb uncomfortable emotions rather than seeking pleasure.
    I do like the idea of bridges. I find I need these a lot in my work. I often switch tasks multiple times in a day, but it does help to have a bit of a head clearing event between tasks. I am lucky that we have a pathway that goes around the upstairs of the building in a big circle, with lots of cut throughs. I can walk around the circuit at least twice without passing by people’s offices more than twice (out and back) and making it look like I’ve just headed to the loo or to the kitchen to make my self a cup of tea. I can sometimes forget this though and get entrenched at my desk. The other thing is needing a way to release the adrenaline rush after dealing with a difficult client or frustrating situation. I was watching a local television program about ambulance dispatchers and one of them, because she was tied to her desk and couldn’t leave but found she needed physical activity to release the stress after a difficult call, put a little portable elliptical machine under her desk and after anything stressful, she would hop on it for a few minutes and just go crazy spinning around on it until she felt better. At the time of watching it, that struck me as something I could use, but completely forgot about it until now.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello – just wanted to thank JGwen for the Cywes podcasts which I heard about via Wendy. I’ve just listened to a couple of them on the train yesterday and today and also really identify with them. My on going battle with bread is SUCH an issue. I recalled a memory today and sat in stunned wonder to be honest. I was sent to my room for being naughty around the age of 10 by my dad. A few hours later my mum came in with egg sandwiches, 4 slices! I was there all day and can’t remember what I did, but I remember feeling really angry and tore up the egg sandwiches into bits in a fit of anger. As soon as I’d done that, I calmed down and then felt bad that I’d wasted these sandwiches that were made for me (money was tight and waste was to be avoided). I then ate all the scraps anyway and felt better that I hadn’t wasted the food. I felt comforted then. I shall seek out more of his stuff! Thanks guys.
    JGwen, how about giving macrame a go? I’ve just discovered the wonderful joy of knots basically, getting it wrong, unpicking and starting again! It’s good fun! Loads of podcasts on youtube.
    Hope everyone is keeping well, it’s been a long time since I posted! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, and the other thing is that I never have just 2 slices, it’s always 3 at least, sometimes 4!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Kazz we all have those triggers ….insiduous little monsters sitting in our ear and convincing us that we deserve something comforting.
    Bread is your trigger, choc is mine . That is so interesting that you recalled that memory. Knowledge is power !!
    I think sugar and choc was just constantly present as I was growing up and even after a full meal I could still scoff a bar. I could never imagine going anywhere without having access to the sugary stuff. Even now I have far too much choc in my kitchen. It’s not Dairy Crunch anymore but why do I still need to have loads ? What do I fear ??

I do like Dr Cywes . He doesn’t baffle me with too much science but he puts his points across very clearly and that helps me.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

The fear of letting go of our crutch? Like running out of ciggs (in my old days) or toilet paper, but that’s another issue! 🙂 I don’t know, Wendy, but it’s definitely a thing and I shall listen more to what he has to say. I also am a fan of Zoe Harcombe! Listening to Cywes has certainly helped. xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kazz, Good to see you back on the forum. I do agree that carbs can be a crutch. I was certainly using food as a crutch when I wasn’t enjoying my life. it astonishes me now just how many calories and carbs I was going through each day. I have to admit that my focus seems to have changed just lately. When I started I used to have to avoid the sections of the shops with bread etc. Then I got to the point of finding it interesting to see how many overweight people were filling their shopping trolleys with high carb, low fat products and feeling virtuous that I only had a single high carb item in my shopping trolley which was my allowance to myself each week. – Having stalled for a while I decided to go full time Keto. Now I am so aware of the people who are slim and have high carb meals in their trolley, and am very envious of them.

Hi Arcticfox, Its interesting that you didn’t get the high you expected from the carbs. – I felt the same at Christmas. I thought it would feel really indulgent to step off the wagon, but I didn’t get the highs I expected. – I have a theory on the reason. As we eat low carb for a time so we will change our gut bacteria, reducing the levels of bacteria that can digest sugar. So if we have something high sugar there will not be enough bacteria to digest it rapidly and cause a huge spike in sugar in one hit. But unfortunately, if we continue to go for the carbs then the sugar eating bacteria will multiply again which is why after a short while it gets so difficult to climb back onto the wagon.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Following on with what JGwen discovered about emotional eating ( podcasts by Dr Cywes) I found a couple of books which discuss food addicction.
    I find it fasinating .

Here is the book I am reading at the moment. Clearly written and not over scientific (although it does discuss brain chemical changes etc) comparing food addiction to alcohol, drug and nicotine addction

It’s called “Food Junkies “by Vera Tarman

The other one I have lined up on my Kindle is
    “Why diets fail (because you’re addicted to sugar) “by Nicole Avena nd John R Talbott

I love reading all this stuff and it really hits home to me why we are doing this ( for our health !!!!!)

• posted by wendleg
    on

I registered for the Kick Sugar Summit after receiving an email which gives access to a number of interviews with various speakers on the subject of sugar addiction
    This is the info I received

For the next 7 days we will profile 42 world experts and 12 sugar-free superheroes. All of them are men and women who have ditched refined carbs and discovered the healing power of whole foods. These are stories of success, triumph, sustained weight loss, medical turnarounds, and happiness breakthroughs.
    Here is how the summit is going to unfold…
    Each day for the next 7 days, you will receive an email. In this email will be links to 7 daily speakers. Each speaker is unique.
    These speakers will be up for a full 24 hours starting at 5 AM PST.
    After 24 hours we will load up another 7 speakers. We will include a short biography for each speaker so you can pick, choose and prioritize accordingly.
    Participation in this summit is 100% free.

Interestingly today there was an interview with Dr Vera Tarman, the author of the book « Food Junkies , recovering from food addiction », which I am reading at the moment.
    Here are today’s speakers

Speakers for Day 1
    Dr. Susan Peirce Thompson has her Ph.D in Brain and Cognitive Sciences and is the founder of the runaway weight loss movement known as Bright Line Eating, which recommends the elimination of sugars and flour and speaks to their addictive potential. She is a world expert in the field of Food Addiction Recovery.

JJ Virgin, author of the JJ Virgin Sugar Impact Diet, is one of very few experts in our line up that was not hooked on sugar. In fact, true story… JJ dislikes sugar and at the age of 12 decided to stop eating it. Say what?! Today she helps inspire others to do the same.

Chef AJ is a recovered sugar addict who has reversed her morbid obesity. She is dynamic, feisty and so much fun. You are going to love this interview.

Dr. Joan Ifland, Ph.D is a leading expert in the field of sugar/food addiction recovery and is the author of two books: Sugars and Flours: How They Make Us Crazy, Sick and Fat and the world’s first academic textbook on the topic of food addiction. It is called: Processed Food Addiction.

Dr. Vera Tarman, MD is the head medical doctor of an addiction treatment centre in Toronto, Canada. She is also the author of Food Junkie. The depth and breadth of her knowledge on this topic never ceases to amaze us year over year.

Bitten Jonsson is an earlier pioneer in the Sugar Addiction Recovery movement. Based in Sweden with advanced training in the US and beyond, Bitten has 30+ years experience coaching clients through sugar addiction recovery programs and protocols she created over many years, in both residential and outpatient settings.

Wanauma Graham is the author of “Hey girlfriend, Ditch Sugar for 365 Days” and is, as you guessed it, a sugar-free woman. Going on her 7th year of sugar-free living, this radiant woman is now on a mission to help other women uplevel their lives by ditching processed refined carbs. If the medical science does not convince you to ditch sugar, Wanauma’s dazzle just might.

You have to be quick to take advantage of the free access as each video is only available for 24hours.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Wendy I’ve signed up!!!
    Hope you are starting to feel more ‘normal’ with each day.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I found it quite interesting, V and it’s free right now !!

Yes I am recovering daily. I went out for a walk yesterday and even though it started to feel a bit sore after a while I was glad to get moving. Today I stood for some time tackling the enormous pile of ironing that had accumulated !!

I will see you on the Positives Thread 😉

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy Day2 is looking good …… Taubes and Cywes. Such a shame they are only live for 24 hours!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, definitely V. Fortunately being off work means I have time to watch the videos as I certainly wouldn’t want to pay for the packages. Have to watch the pennies as retirement beckons 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

V……did you see because of a technical glitz they are allowing more time to view the previous videos ?

For anyone interested it is called The Kick Sugar Summit. It’s free to watch the videos for 24 hours.

Day Three Speakers

Dr. Brian Lenzkes is an MD who leverages low carb whole foods in his medical practice with stunning results. Move over, obesity and diabetes; hello, nutritional interventions that compliment medical care.

Dr. Joel Furhman MD is a whole food, plant-based doctor who has been medically healing and reversing lifestyle diseases for decades. He is the author the book Fast Food Genocide. Doesn’t that just say it all?

Dr. Eric Westman, MD is an expert in obesity reversal and advocates a whole food, low carb meal plan that does not require weighing and measuring, monitoring ketones, etc. Simple and straightforward is his approach.

Dr. Gary Fettke, MD has a story to tell that is so remarkable it leaves us speechless. Diagnosed with cancer and told to drink liters of juice daily, his cancer persisted for years. Finally, he got the information he needed to change his diet, heal his body, and put his cancer into remission. Today Dr. Fettke is a passionate advocate of a sugar free and low carb lifestyle and remains cancer free – decades later.

Dr. Bret Scher, MD is a cardiologist with expertise in helping his clients eliminate processed carbohydrates to prevent and reverse disease as well as to empower other doctors to integrate nutrition in their practice to improve patient outcomes and enhance the satisfaction of being a healer/doctor.

Dr. Daryl Gioffre, Chiropractor is a whirling-dervish sugar-free firecracker. He eliminated processed refined carbs and transformed his own life and is now on a mission to help others do the same. He is a high plant-based advocate with a special appreciation of getting and staying alkaline.

Cam Salois, in July 2018, embarked on a weight loss journey that involved changing his diet and getting in shape. Today he has lost a total of 300 pounds and is here to share his success story.

• posted by wendleg
    on

For anyone interested the Kick Sugar Summit 2020 is extending access to the speakers and their videos for 48 hours so you need to be quick if you want to listen.

https://kick-sugar-summit-2020-encore.simplerosites.com/courses/16747-kick-sugar-summit-2020-encore?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=709016-act-fast-48-hour-replay&utm_source=lists%2F71653-Kick-Sugar-Summit-Updates&simplero_object_id=su_EktifYbNQv1XixEKW99AN3fH

I particularly liked Dr Robert Cywes and Dr Vera Tarman, Prof Tim Noakes and Eric Westman, but there are lots of very thought provoking interviews

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

This is a YouTube video about Vitamin D and the immune system. Dr John Campbell has been researching covid19 since January and provides good references for his views.
    https://youtu.be/GCSXNGc7pfs

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Patricia1066,

Thanks for the post, I do feel sorry for those living in cities with no garden during this lock down. It must be so hard and now it appears that sitting out in the sun with a good book is also positive for us.

I also saw a video produced by an american researcher who suggested that one of the actions of the virus is to damage the red blood cells which transport oxygen around the body. – They think that the reason that diabetics are more vulnerable to this virus is because they have deformed red blood cells. However, unlike this doctor he didn’t mention his sources. So I don’t feel it was relevant to post the link to his video. But I thought it may be helpful to mention it.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

JGwen, the emphasis on Novel Coronavirus seems to be merited. It is a respiratory disease, but by means unknown it’s also a blood borne attacking cells creating clots. The antibodies can coexist with persistent virus in Chinese patients, and this does not auger well for a vaccine. More questions than answers, which makes a healthy immune system more important than any other objective.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

https://youtube.com/phcukorg

I hope the above works. If not look at You Tube, Public Health Collaboration channel. There is a free conference starting today (although donations are requested if possible as they are a charity) and for the next few days on low carb & health etc. The first speaker is Dr David Unwin with a very good presentation, some of which has been seen before but it is much slicker and very interesting. At around 23mins it mentions not everyone loses weight – some gain – on LCHF but metabolic health does improve and around 28 mins there’s a piece on who loses the most weight men or women? No spoiler from me. There is also a piece on Covid and diabetes earlier on, I mention it as I don’t want to upset or worry anyone if they come at this unknowingly.

I’m just off to watch some more presentations.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Fat and Furious podcasts with Steve Bennett. Interviews with respected drs like Malcolm Kendrick (statins), Tim Noakes (low carb and exercise), Aseem Malhotra (heart, cholesterol), David Unwin (diabetes). If you prefer to watch there are you tube videos on the Fat and a Furious channel. Well worth a look/listen.

• posted by LindaA
    on

I’ve been listening to Steve Bennett’s podcast for a while now – I agree, it’s very informative.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Been meaning to post this for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmjm4z4FRQ

I came across this video of a conversation between Aseem Malhotra and Robert Lustig about Covid-19, Type II diabetes, the importance of metabolic health & gut health amongst other things. I wasn’t sure about posting it because of course it highlights the risks many of us face from covid-19 (personally don’t like reading that too often!) but decided to as the main message for me is that the woe we are following is the best one to follow to improve metabolic health, and that it only takes a matter of weeks before those changes begin to happen – which MM and Roy Taylor also highlight – and was certainly my experience; my health markers improved long before I’d lost the weight I’d needed to lose – so positive for anyone just starting out here. xx

I know quite a few people on here like Aseem Malhotra so just to say the new book he mentions is called ‘The 21-Day Immunity Plan’. It’s about improving metabolic health, including a focus on covid-19 and will be available on Aug 27th (at least on Amazon).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/21-Day-Immunity-Plan-Aseem-Malhotra/dp/1529349672/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1596189722&sr=8-1

Also, like a lot of others on here I’m a Ben Bikman fan, so also worth mentioning his (maybe first?) book ‘Why We Get Sick: The Hidden Epidemic at the Root of Most Chronic Disease―and How to Fight It ‘ It’s focused on insulin, insulin resistance and improving insulin sensitivity. I’ve only read a bit of it so far but it’s very well researched – as you’d expect. The only thing I’d say is I’ve got the kindle version and the tables/graphs etc I’ve come across so far are not great on the Kindle version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Sick-Disease_and/dp/194883698X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WIGU9783I164&dchild=1&keywords=why+we+get+sick+ben+bikman&qid=1596189194&sprefix=why+we+get+sick%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1

Cheers
    Jennie xx
    nb – btw, I’ve no links with the people running Amazon – I wish! – and other bookshops are available!

on

He all, thought it was about time i contributed to this thread which I read often and take up lots of the advice. For over a year now I have been subscribing to videos by Dr Becky. If you have never watched her, she is a keto guru and talks about low carbs. Here is one I just watched called 17 tips to stay low carb. https://youtu.be/hYPPI0v9L8g hope that works but if not she is easy to find.

on

Just watched another video which is the best I have found to explain why ‘diets’ dont work, clearly explains what goes on in the body, insulin resistance and why calories in calories out dont work. It is by a lady called Deborah Murtagh and, yes she is selling a diet programme when you get to the end of the presentation. But for me it clearly set out why we are eating the way we are on the blood sugar diet and possibly reasons for TRE and fasting. Take a look – like me you wont be buying the plan but she is very informative.
    https://bit.ly/31jaiRD. Hope that works or look for her on YouTube.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi JGwen, Thank you for posting this link. I hope you can help me understand the article a bit better.
    I use the same GreenWon AT6000 unit, but have always been confused as to which reading I should look at (%BAC %.BAC mg/L or mg/100ml )
    In reading section 3 of the Wiki I am trying to work out when I am in Keto. I presume if I see the Hi logo (and haven’t been drinking!) that I am in ketosis.
    Following his explanation – if my today’s %BAC reading is 0.02 does that get multiplied by 40 to be 0.8 – and is that a “good” level of ketones?
    Thank You 🌺🌺
    Merry

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Merry,

The way I look at this, if you get a reading and have not had any alcohol then your are burning ketones. therefore you are in ketosis.

Maybe you want to play around monitoring how deeply in ketosis you are. But really, it doesn’t matter that much on a practical basis, the key thing is you are in ketosis or you are not in ketosis. – If you do wan to play around comparing readings then all that is important is you still with the same measurement.

I think it will be helpful and reassuring for some people to know that some one hast taken the time to research and compare results using different measuring systems so people know can rely on the AT6000 for accuracy. and don’t have to spend a lot of money on one of the fancy measuring devices. – Also that there is a relationship between values on blood tests and breath.

I found it interesting the section on how holding breath doesn’t effect reading, and breathing in and out of a bag 6 times will help you get as accurate a reading as possible. – That could provide some helpful tips for people who struggle to get a reading.

I came across the article because I had ended up watching a conversation on another social media site where people were focusing on using pee sticks and it really irritates me how people are encouraged to waste money on such an unreliable method of monitoring. I forwarded it on to the forum at the same time so that every time someone started on about pee sticks I could easily point them to reassurance that spending a few quid on a breathalyser would be far better.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you so much JGwen. That is great advice. I will stop fussing about the numbers. 😀🌸
    I had trouble getting readings when I first used it. But found if I started the counter ( it counts down from 100) and did a big long slow breath out , then at about 35 I started to blow into the mouthpiece from the very bottom of my breath, like engaging my core and getting that last air out, then I got good readings.

• posted by Laulauloula
    on

I just finished the audiobook of ‘Exercised – The Science of Physical Activity, Rest and Health’ by Daniel Lieberman.

It was so interesting and fun and not too sciency or full of stats. I love exercising, but I think it would be motivating for people who find it hard to get active (he also talks about why we find it hard to get off the sofa,). The book covers anthropology, the evolution of humans, sleep and has a big section at the back about exercise and disease.

Get it as an audiobook so you can listen while you run!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/29/exercised-by-daniel-lieberman-review-fitness-myths-exploded

Please log in or register to post a reply.