Sweeteners

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Landrews22
    on

I use sweeteners in my tea/coffee instead of sugar. Whilst I know it is probably better not to, is this okay to continue with and, if so, what is considered to be the best brand (I currently use Splenda).

In addition, are ‘no added sugar’ cordials ( diluted orange squash) okay to occasionally drink?

• posted by malkay
    on

Hi Landrews22
    I also like a sweetened cuppa, so have done quite a bit of research on sweeteners. You are right that it is better not to use them, and to train your taste buds not to want them. However, this is one thing which I am finding difficult, especially as a sweetened cuppa can both fill me up, and hit the spot when craving something sweet.
    Anything which contains aspartame is a definite no no for me, (just do a quick google if you want all the reasons), so I would advise against ‘no added sugar’ cordials as they nearly all contain it. For tea/coffee, I think xylitol is best. It is a natural product, not a chemical, and it does not raise blood sugar levels. The downside is that as it is not absorbed in the gut, it can produce gas, and have a laxative effect if you have too much. However, as one of the side effects of this diet for some people is constipation, that may be no bad thing!!! Stevia is another option, but most stevia products are mixed with erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol, and stevia on it’s own (if you can find it) has an unpleasnt aftertaste. Good luck finding what suits you best.

• posted by Landrews22
    on

Thanks ever so much malkay for this advice which I will definitely follow. This is being incredibly lazy on my part but can I ask what brands of sweeteners contain xylitol?

• posted by Tina C
    on

Total Sweet is xylitol. You can get it in most supermarkets and can use it exactly the same way as sugar in your baking.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I gave up sugar in tea and coffee decades ago, following a friend’s advice. The way I did it was to have no sweet drinks at all for a week, not even cold ones. That was hard, I admit, but it worked. Once I could have tea again, I was so pleased I barely noticed the lack of sugar. I’ve not been tempted to add it since, and the few times I’ve accidentally taken a sip of sweet tea or coffee it’s tasted horrible.

• posted by Speedy
    on

Please take care with having XYLITOL products in the house if you have DOGS.

It is extremely poisonous to them even in very small amounts. If your dog has had any (from licking out yogurt pots, sharing a bit of cake etc etc), please go to your vet immediately.

Please log in or register to post a reply.