Swear if i could

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi, I have put on 1.7kg in the last 12 days. I did have an experiment with the fudge brownie thingo but 1.7kg seems a bit extreme! By my calculation it would mean eating 800 cals a day above my tdee and I know I haven’t done this. I haven’t had carbs either apart from what I have been eating all along and the fudge brownie thingo. I have returned to swimming after a longish winter break. Only been swimming for the past 4 days though. Also of late have increased a drug known to cause weight gain – but that much in such a short time, it seems unreal. Not hormonal as post menopausal. What do others think

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well, firstly don’t be too disheartened, blips are not unusual and we all suffer them from time to time. There could be a combination of things going on, like the effect of the medication, some water retention and/or a little constipation. The secret is not to let this blip completely derail your efforts. It’s a good time to review on all fronts, especially carb intake and hydration. Stick with the BSD 800 and the exercise and I’m confident you will see things heading in the right direction again soon.

It’s frustrating to see the scales going in the wrong direction, but it doesn’t mean things are going to hell in a hand basket. You can still achieve your goals.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I gained two pounds overnight once, and that was after gaining one pound the day before. There was no brownie thingo or medication change in my case, no deviation of any kind from what I’d been doing all along. It just happens sometimes. My very constructive solution was to hit my head against the wall as I stood on the scale and wail like a baby until my OH talked me down from the ledge. It’s terrible and frustrating and a real mental challenge, but all you can do is keep on keeping on. It will come off again and then some.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

As SunnyB says, don’t get too worried about it. I’ve put on and lost that much in as many days many times before. Christmas to new year being an obvious time . . .

I had been losing weight on this diet, but then decided to incorporate more exercise, hoping to ‘burn’ more calories still, but instead, I lost nothing. I quickly realised that I was probably building muscle, but only recently discovered that actually our bodies are not good at losing weight at the same time as building/repairing muscle etc..

Things are not simply calories in v calories expended, but stick to the basics of this diet/WOE and things will start to come right, not just weight, and not always all at once either.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Thanks Sunny B, Esnecca and Ancient Weaver for your support and encouragement. I was 800 g down this morning meaning the total weight up is now 900 g. While I am still not happy about the addition, it gives me hope that this might drop down quickly too. I am trying to incorporate some longer fasts and continuing on the bsd 800 which in my case is more like the bsd1000. Stick to it!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Bigeater, fear not – I think we have all been there! It will go again. 😊

Esnecca, just love the picture you paint of your ‘very constructive solution’, it really made me smile – I have been there too, except my o/h has never managed to talk me down, I’ve had to manage that all by myself 😉

Please log in or register to post a reply.