Support needed please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tinkerbelle
    on

Hi, I’m starting on Monday 31st. I’ve already done 6 weeks in June/July when I lost a stone. I’ve managed to keep it off but would now like to lose at least another 7 pounds to get my bmi into the normal range. I’ve never had diabetes just an enormous spare tyre around my middle – not attractive! Is anyone else in a similar position who would like mutual support and motivation?

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi Tink, I’m in a similar position and easing into starting on the BSD. I’m 61 years old, have been living the 5:2 lifestyle for over 3years, but recently I’ve ‘thickened up’ around the middle … not attractive and potentially bad news as I have a strong family history of Type 2 diabetes. At 5’1″ I weigh 10st, I want to shed 1st. I plan to continue eating 500cals two days a week, so will go for around 900 on the other days. The food looks delicious, it’s my favourite style of eating, but I’m a bit concerned about being so hungry my stomach starts eating itself! Also, I’m pretty good with short bursts of exercise, but becoming as active as Dr Mosley recommends is going to be a challenge!
    “Oh…but what if you FLY!”

• posted by Tinkerbelle
    on

Thanks for your reply. Monday then? We can support each other. By Monday night I will be metamorphed into the devil ( great night for it !) as I will be hungry and cross ………. But determined. We can do it! X

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Yes, Monday it is… as I said above, I’ve been dabbling for a few days (3 or 4) and have already lost 2lb!! I’m still getting my head around the principals of the diet, but I’m looking forward to it (though a tad nervous). Mondays are 500 cal days for me and I normally load up on carbs the night before, but not this time, so I will probably be very ‘Halloween Friendly’ too – he he he. All the best Tink (you don’t mind me calling you ‘Tink’ do you? Not too familiar?) We can do this!

• posted by Tinkerbelle
    on

Think is fine by me ! I shall repost tomorrow evening, hopefully managing not to gnaw on iPad in desperation ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by LilyLulu
    on

Hello, I’m starting today and I’d like the mutual support/motivation as well. I’m 13 stone 6 ( the heaviest I’ve ever been) and I need to lose 4 stone. I’ve been on bed rest since June and eating helped pass the time ๐Ÿ™ I am miserable at this weight! Good luck to you both!

• posted by Beegrateful
    on

Hi guys I’m also starting today. So pleased to have come accross others in same position. I’m 51, 5’9″ and weighing in this morning at 220lbs. Really want to lose 50lbs and keep it off. Finally feel in right mindset to get going and feel this is totally doable. Good luck to you all …. I’m off to have eggs!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Wow! Then there was four – all the best to everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hello, I started last Friday and would like to join in too. I’ve been on one diet or another for years, but I’m approaching 50 and looking to make some lasting changes as my joints are telling me I’m not getting any younger…. ๐Ÿ™‚ A bit of additional support and motivation would be most welcome!

• posted by LilyLulu
    on

Hello Beegrateful and Alex49. Good luck to us all!

• posted by nursecathy44
    on

Hi, i too have started today and am currently STARVING , but feeling positive ๐Ÿ™‚ can i please join this support group, think i may need it !!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi nursecathy, welcome! The testimonies I’ve heard suggest that the hunger is worst in the first few days – so there’s hope. From my experience with 5:2, the hunger pangs come and go, and I just accept that I WILL feel hungry from time to time (not suggesting it’s easy :/ ). I’m yet to experience that on a daily basis tho… Let’s keep positive – we will do this.

• posted by Tinkerbelle
    on

Brilliant that there’s now a group of us ……. Hopefully we can all support each other. Day one marches on – porridge for breakfast, halloumi and baked beans for lunch, a handful of nuts and dinner soon. Made the cauliflower cheese out of the diet recipe book and having chicken sausages with it ( not sure if they’re ok). Absolutely starving but not wavering. I know I will be fine until about 9pm. Have decided to go to bed at the point I start to fantasize about bread ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope everyone’s day has been manageable too. I weighed myself today and will post a weekly loss next week. There are two nights out this week which will be tough but I’m determined. I’m doing it for me and my health – not forgetting the four pairs of trousers and three tops waiting patiently for me to slim into them. This time I shall succeed !, onwards and downwards!

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hi ladies
    I will join too. Been on the first day of the rest of my life thread..but it’s having a wee lull.
    Been 800 since about mid September. Have had a few blips.
    Today’s weight 14.13. Have been on a plateau this week as I think I am in week 2 or 3 of really giving it my all and it is very frustrating. BUT am patiently waiting on the whoosh!
    Have a party in 5 weeks time. WOULD love to lose a stone at least.
    I think I know I can do it.
    But I need to post every night for accountability and support.
    Overall my goal is 10 stone by Mid may.
    Today I just ate 1 x meal at lunch. FLUID in between. That’s not my normal but that’s what I did today!
    Still feel full! HAVE Def lost cravings. Feel energised. ..sometimes even wired!!! LOL

Tattiescone x

• posted by Miracleworker
    on

Hi everyone,
    I too started today. Blooming hungry now but determined to al least get through the first day!!! Had Bircher for breakfast, smoked salmon quiches for lunch and soup for tea. No headache but could eat the contents of the kitchen cupboard right now! Hope your days have gone well xxx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Brilliant work all you first day ers,you have all made the best decision ever, keep reading your BSD book, and keep posting here, you can all do it. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ™‹ if any of you ever need help there is always someone on here who will give guidance. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by nursecathy44
    on

hi, first day nearly over and am feeling proud. I had scrambled egg for breakfast, stuffed pepper for lunch and chicken with tomatoes and basil for dinner. Not feeling hungry. I have completed a meal plan for the next 4 weeks using the sample in the back of the recipe book and feel ready to do this. And i have just spent the last 2 hours answering the door to trick a treaters with a very big bowl of chocolate bars and didnt sneak a naughty treat ๐Ÿ™‚
    My biggest struggle today has been trying to reduce my coffee intake, i am a great coffee drinker so am slowly trying to wean myself from my addiction :-o, any tips on how to overcome it would be greatly appreciated.
    Good luck to all of you, we can do this ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

My day went well too – growling tummy agrees. The only challenging bit was the trick or treaters, my living space is upstairs from my front door so the fifth or sixth sprint up and down the stairs might have been easier with a few extra calories on board – no surrender tho! Just lemon water for the remainder of my day! Looking forward to trying out some new recipes tomoz.

• posted by Alex49
    on

End of day 4 for me and I am definitely feeling less hungry. I have protein smoothies during the day and a main meal at night. This works for me as I’m not organised enough to prep 3 meals a day! Really looking forward to Friday’s weigh in… my trousers feel looser already ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Tinkerbelle
    on

Hi all, just slipped ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Glass of wine poured by Dh , sipped before I thought. Must be more vigilant! Which protein shakes do you buy? Do they keep you feeling full?

• posted by Beegrateful
    on

Glad to have today under my belt. Went shopping so am now armed with veg and snack items needed. Just home from fireworks. A good day. Happy Halloween to you all and well done for not eating the treats!
    I discovered Nettle tea tastes a bit soupy and went down well with lunch and dinner.
    It feels good to be part of a group so I’m not doing this alone. I’m looking forward to sharing the journey as we drop weight and inches while gaining confidence and smaller size clothes.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Ok, so I made it to lunch time without feeling particularly hungry – I was just celebrating to myself when I realised the clock I was looking at was still on BST!!! Aaaaargh! I filled the extra hour going grocery shopping and found it a whole new adventure and surprisingly easy – I think the system may have already “clicked” in my head. The trickiest part is keeping the calories down (cream is v low carb, but OH the calories!). Home to a filling lunch of home made hummus with ‘watery veg’ crudites – delicious. I stocked up my groceries, so an afternoon of food prep and preservation (freezing mostly). Tea will be kippers and veg.

Tink, How are you feeling today. Slip ups are almost inevitable given the strictness of the regimen. It’s also a learning process, don’t be too hard on yourself. What happened yesterday stays in yesterday, today is a whole new day – stay resolved and it’ll come together.

• posted by Beegrateful
    on

So easy to slip up ๐Ÿ˜• Was offered a piece of a new choc bar and even though I’m no chocolate fan it was only after I’d eaten it I realised I shouldn’t have. Apart from that I feel I’ve done well. Amazing how quickly we just pop food in without thinking. On a positive note I’ve just been to cinema with my son and resisted all temptations. I’m settling down to halloumi and leaves for dinner. Think I’ll weigh on Fri and hoping to see first drop on scales in about 2 years. Will not celebrate with wine, will not celebrate with wine, will not!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Beegrateful, well done for not letting minor slips derail or dishearten you. I’m noticing just how many times I would normally pop something in my mouth- I am a perpetual grazer, or should I say WAS, I’ve resisted so far but it’s tough going. My evenings were peppered with snack breaks!
    Today I had loads of energy and didn’t feel particularly hungry. It really does seem to be about developing a new (better) relationship with food. Not eating much means everything tastes delicious which is a bonus.
    Onward and upward, I mean downward, it’s SO worth the effort ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hi Tinkerbelle, sorry I didn’t get back. I use a vanilla protein shake in the week at lunch time when at work with a spoon of Chia seeds, high protein with 17 g carbs. I’m just not organized enough to prep 3 meals a day and this is great for me on the run, then I have a main meal at night. 6 days in now and I’m really starting to feel the difference in my clothes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Beegrateful
    on

Thanks Daisiesmum. Yes evenings are more difficult and this was a particularly busy week which preparing work food saved me from grazing and grabbing on the run. Fab that Alex is feeling clothes loosen already!
    I’ve 3lbs off so far which is great for me in 5 days. How’s everyone else doing? Weekends can be a challenge but I feel in good place to stick to it. Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Alex49 I read tonight that the secretions from beavers anal glands is sometimes used as a substitute for real vanilla. Make your vanilla protein shake seem extra appealing?

• posted by Frog
    on

interesting bedtime reading Natalie ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi everyone, I had a seriously challenging ‘ I’m not sure I can do this’ day yesterday – determined, I got thorough it by the skin of my teeth (very tasty snack ๐Ÿ™‚ ). Today I woke feeling great and barely thinking about food – woo hoo! I ‘ve lost 5lb so far! So glad I persevered. Can’t say my clothes are feeling any different, but my tum is definitely flatter (less bulk).
    Enjoy the fireworks tonight – sans baked potato ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hmm…. vanilla with a hint of beaver….a fact I could probably have lived without! Thanks for that Natalie ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Well I weighed in today and have lost nearly 10 lb since starting 9 days ago. Great motivation for continuing. I’m not doing much xercise yet as don’t have copious amounts of energy but hoping this will improve over time and my body continues to adjust.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Wow! Alex, well done you! I’m going to ‘weigh in’ tomorrow but I know I’m losing well. I found Friday and Saturday really tough but I’m on much more of an even keel today – phew! Keep up the good work.

• posted by Alex49
    on

Thanks daisies mum… good luck for tomorrow … post up tomorrow and let me know how you get on. Really fancy a red wine right now so off to cook family tea to take my mind off it x

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

One week done already! I am loving the food choices and enjoying experimenting – who would have thought that dieting could taste so good! I weighed myself this morning and found I have lost 7lb, which is absolutely amazing since I only had 15lb to lose – my reasons for doing this are health rather than weight related. My BMI is still in the ‘overweight’ category though. Hope everyone else is having success too – all the best to you all.

• posted by Beegrateful
    on

Well done Daisiesmum and Alex49! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I’ve had a loss of 4lbs total this week which isn’t brilliant but good for me. I’ve no blood sugar issues and am doing this to clear my liver which has been a problem since I had my gall bladder out. I just need to sustain the low calorie intake to make the changes. I definately felt a change today as I had absolutely no hunger for lunch or dinner which certainly helped me control portions. Feeling good and looking forward to further losses … and a drink at Christmas ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by nursecathy44
    on

Hi, well done Daisesmum and Alex49, great losses. I weighed today and have lost 5.5lbs, really happy, feeling fab, loving the recipes. Have completely cut sweeteners and diet coke out of my diet and have found my blood sugars have dropped to low teens which im so happy about. I am not expecting great losses this second week as people have said it often plateaus but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Heres to week 2 girls ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alex49
    on

Well done Daisies umbrella, Nurse Cathy and Beegrateful you are all doing great too…. Keep up the good work! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Well done everyone! I’m definitely finding it easier this week, last week I was painfully hungry and began thinking ‘I don’t think I can do this’ll, but this week I just feel a bit empty from time to time and I’m no longer thinking “how much longer ’til I can eat something”. Eating higher fat foods like peanut butter or cheese helps, although you don’t get much for 800 cals… drinking water is also extremely helpful. I am enjoying the tasty food enormously! Eggs & Avocado salad for lunch and fish & pea soup for evening meal for me today :). Aren’t bodies amazing things – treat them well and they can last for ages!

• posted by nursecathy44
    on

Hi hope you are all well. Nearly the end of week 2 and so far this week i have only had half a pound loss, despite sticking religiously to plan and biking 13k every night. I think it may be the dreaded plateau, has anyone else experienced this. Im not liking it, after seeing the scales move daily last week. I dont feel like having a naughty though, as i am feeling so much better in myself. it will be interesting to see how you are all doing ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I had stayed at the same weight for seven days despite having on average 813 cals and 42g of carbs per day, being reasonably active and fasting for 14 hours per day. Today I’ve finally dropped another pound.

The one thing about the BSD way is that it does teach patience!

• posted by Irishgirl
    on

Hi all, I started the diet in end of May and have been on a less strict version since end of July. I too had the dreaded plateau but have to say this will soon pass. Please stick with it. I have lost 44lbs thus far and only 11lbs from my target weight. For most people the plateau is worst in weeks 2,3,4 but believe me if you stick with the low carb, low sugar, full fat principle it will happen.

I feel really well, my skin has never been better and it is such a treat to fit in clothes I like!! Going out to but some new undies this weekend!

Just keep drinking the water and sticking to the principles. Onwards and downwards.

Best of luck all.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Hi nursecathy,
    I too am struggling to lose. I am on day 16 and have lost nothing since day 7 . People have been very supportive on the forum and have explained what happens when we plateau. I am persevering despite the hunger and hoping to see a loss very soon. Hope the weight drops offf for you too .

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Hi Peapod , you sound like me, I have lost just under 3 kg and today is nearly the end of week 4 on the up side have lost 9cm off my waist , clothes looser , face thinner sugar levels coming down, and yes I have energy I’m not dragging myself around , also not feeling hungry , I have also put the slow loss to using insulin , but then again some on it have had very good weight losses so stick with it , I am going to , I am refusing to give up and open the pantry door , I am 3kg less than what I was 4 weeks ago which is a plus for me so keep going !

• posted by Peapod
    on

At last, a pound came off today. I thought it was never going to happen .I too feel as though I have more energy and am beginning to see differences in myself. Instead of thinking about the custard slice I would love to eat I am now thinking about all the nice clothes I will be able to wear in the future. I am so fed up with wearing what fits rather than what I would like to wear.
    Well done for sticking with it Llandudno. Good luck everyone and let’s hope we all have those big losses soon.

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Well that’s great Peapod , that lb will get you going again , you have broke the drought ,hope I have too on Monday!yes clothes are one of the reasons I’m doing it , I too am sick of wearing what what fits and not really my personal choice my husband will go shopping with me (OK occainsionally) , and it’s taken me years of explaining or saying. ‘ no they don’t do it in my size’ as he’s looking at the size 12’s even gone in shops that don’t have my size and never will have to look for clothes as he thought all clothes shops do big sizes too…..of course sometimes we go out and I can’t find anything to wear , wardrobes full of clothes that I can’t get into but I don’t throw them out as I aim one day to get in them again and that’s hard , last year went out to a dinner I was only one in trousers and top everyone else in dresses that was one of the few times I have really ‘felt’ my size ,& all I really wanted to do was go home and cry…. So that’s brill your news fingers crossed for Monday for me…..

• posted by Peapod
    on

Llandudno, you seem to know exactly where I’m coming from . I am going to a really smart ‘do’ in December where the dress code is ‘glamour’ but sadly it will be the black trousers for me again. At least this time instead of feeling sorry for myself I know that in a few months with help from the BSD I might be able to wear a dress for the first time in years.
    Good luck for tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great week and can stick to the plan. We can do it !

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Thank you ! Will let you know how I go ……

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

I got stuck in week 2 and things very slow. Suddenly now at 3 weeks and 2 days another drop and am weighing in at 65.4 kilos this morning. So 5.4 kilos lost or about 12lbs. I often read the forums just to keep focus and am concentrating on each small achievement.
    Am just 2lbs away from a stone off. 4 or so lbs from getting under 10stone for the first time since I cant even remember and yesterday I tried on the dress I brought probably a year ago still with tags on that I decided felt uncomfortable because my tummy sat too tightly. I am now thinking I will wear it on Christmas day!
    One step at a time everyone and always celebrate the small victories x

• posted by Peapod
    on

Well done Cleverblonde, enjoy wearing that new dress !

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Thanks peapod. You will be ditching the black trousers before you know it. The perfect dress is waiting ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Llandudno
    on

Hello Peapod , well got on the scales expecting nothing but found I have lost a kg ! Know just how you felt with your lb ..elated! Hope the drought is ending , it did for Cleverblonde and so it shall for us too !

Please log in or register to post a reply.