sugar not all that

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi, I have been on the bsd for 7 months. A week ago I thought what the hell and had a fudge brownie thingo with my coffee. Got to say I didn’t really enjoy it. It was a kind of test of self. The floodgates didn’t open and I didn’t embark on a carb frenzy. Having tasted sugar again, I now know there is no attraction for me. That’s great. I am BSDing by choice! I am not missing out on anything. That sugary treat had no power over me and was only marginally enjoyable. Hooray! I don’t think I will be tempted again. Hooray! I am glad I had my little experiment.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi bigeater well done!

Did you have ‘carb flu’ when you first started BSD?

I had a wonderful chocolate chip cookie a few weeks ago, a healthy one with dark chocolate and walnuts!!!! Like you I didn’t have a carb frenzy and nor was I left feeling I needed more sugar after it, but I did enjoy it! I didn’t have ‘carb flu’ at the start of BSD so I thought possibly I hadn’t been addicted to carbs in the first place. Just my theory but it doesn’t mean I’m going to eat sugar now.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Thanks Verano and congratulations to you for being able to quit metformin. No, I didn’t have carb flu though I should have. I used to go on carb binges, biscuits in particular, were my downfall. I feel so much more confident after having that sugary treat, no need to fear a carb binge! It’s great!

• posted by fat girl slims
    on

Thats fabulous news bigeater, how liberating! I know that so much of this is psychological. In the past when I have been in my all or nothing mentality and its been an ‘all’ day I know that I have really not enjoyed my sugary treats, they dont taste of much at all, just a sludgy sweetness, and if bought a chemical sludgy sweetness! Ihave observed its more of a compulsion to eat them because I have blown it or am off plan, its a kind of self punishment really and rarely does it taste as good as you would expect. Plus, the horrid effects of insulin coursing through your veins, these days it virtually sends me into a coma and my head feels like it is full of cotton wool and now I know that my body will be layering up fat to boot….you are right, it is really not worth it. Its an illusion.

• posted by Verano
    on

Bigeater you are in control and I think maybe that’s the real secret … the tail is no longer wagging the dog!!!! Sorry about the analogy!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Fat girl slims, that could have been me writing those comments and you explained just how I feel when I too have had an “all” day. The self sabotage of talking myself into eating is hard to control and is just mindless eating.
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

Have you looked at ‘Mindful Coffee and Cake’ under the heading ‘The BSD’ above. I read it every now and again and find it really helpful.

This WOE is so alien to our ”normal’ sugar filled western diet it’s no wonder we keep sabotaging ourselves. Think the secret is not to beat ourselves up but just to get straight back on ‘the horse ‘

• posted by fat girl slims
    on

Glad this resonated Busybee, why do we do it to ourselves eh? Well, awareness is the first step and one day I hope to consign those treacly binges to the past!! Yes we are bombarded with sugar, its everywhere, maybe that will change, there seems to be some kind of shift underway, the low fat high sugar myth cannot continue for much longer, it amazes me that this rubbish is still dished out in the face of SO much evidence. Positively, it was my GP who recommended the BSD to me. I had already embarked on low carb, and have experimented with different plans for many years, I learned that carbs and I are not compatible and in fact had already bought the BSD book but hadn’t read it. This forum is a wonderfully inspiring place and the combination of VCLD and slow carb is a revelation. I only started last Thursday, and apart from Saturday (family meal with wine) I have stuck with it and have lost 4 pounds and one inch from my waist. Usually if I have an off day I gain three pounds overnight, this time, just the one, so I am very happy with that. I am going on hols at the end of the week so wanted to shed a few pounds, in fear of not getting the plane belt around my mid which is where I carry my weight When I return I will do this full on. Its been remarkably easy, not a single second of hunger, just some very odd dreams
    and I think I may have found the plan for me. I will remember the sweet sludge next time I am wavering… and thanks Verano for the Mindful Coffee and cake advice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.