Sudden Gain is this fluid retention?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by peachcake4me
    on

Hi
    I’m feeling so despondent. I had lost 3st 7lb since December last year on the 800 calorie blood sugar diet which I have been thrilled with.

However, over the past few weeks I have given myself a break and averaged about 1200 calories a day, which I thought I would maintain on or maybe gain a few pounds on.

Now either the increase in calories or possibly water retention (which I think I have in this heat swollen ankles and very bloated) have meant that I have gained 7lbs in just the past week!!!

I’m so shocked and horrified that I’m considering buying a new set of scales. I just keep staring at the numbers in disbelief. Is this really possible? I’m so scared I’m going to now undo all the hard work I’ve done and feel powerless to stop it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or can anyone who has been in s similar situation offer any advice or support please?

Many thanks
    D x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi peachcakes – as the gain was in one week, I suspect it is water retention. Did you eat more carbs than normal last week? Carbs will cause the body to hang on to fluid. My advice is not to panic. Keep track of both your calories and carbs for a few days and see how it goes. Think you’ll probably find the pounds start to drift away again.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi peachcake4me. My questions are similar to Julia’s. Have you continued to drink the full 2-3 liters of water,
    or upped your carbs along with 400 more calories a day? Let’s begin there to see what we can rule out as a “cause
    and effect”? We’re on the case, but we need more information 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Good morning peachcake4me — I think it’s probably the heat and humidity — I feel very swollen and puffy too.
    My best suggestion is to pull down your carb intake to bare minimum (try 20 grams carbohydrate per day) and like Allie says, drink lots of water (preferably mineral water) which should get rid of the excess fluids we are retaining.
    Our bodies are wisely retaining fluids because the weather is telling them they might need it.
    Today feels cooler already! And oh my gosh, did you have that unbelievable lightning storm night before last?

• posted by peachcake4me
    on

Thank you so much for your replies.

Yes I did increase my calories when I had around 10 days off the plan but only to around 1200 a day. I suppose that carbs would have featured more heavily in that allowance too. And no I probably didn’t have a full 2 litres of water every day either so this could have been my downfall!

Could you please give me some examples of food that you eat when trying to keep to a very low carb day ie. 20g so that I can try this?

And yes amazing light show with the storm we had the other night Californiagirl, I stayed up late to watch!

Your advice is very much appreciated. I don’t want to be on a slippery slope that’s all.

Xxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Peachcake — here might be a “usual” day for me when I am pulling down my carbohydrates:
    Breakfast — coffee with heavy cream (I measure 1 Tablespoon per mug of coffee and usually have 2 mugs) — 100 calories/ zero carbs
    Lunch — big green salad with lettuce, rocket, sprouts, avocado, anise, endive, maybe a bit of red pepper, cheese, chicken breast or smoked salmon, hard boiled egg and pumpkin seeds — dressing is homemade olive oil and apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard and salt) — 15-30 grams carbs (depending on the mix) and about 30 grams protein — maybe 250- 300 calories without the dressing (dressing is about 70 calories per tablespoon and carb free)
    Dinner — a chicken breast or a big piece of fresh fish and a LOT of sautéed or steamed greens like chard, spinach, collards etc. If those aren’t available, I would use brocolini or broccoli or zucchini (green and plenty of it is the goal) — 20-30 gram protein, 5-10 gram carb, 270-350 calories depending on if I add butter.
    Snack — nuts like walnuts or cashews (but watch those moreish cashews!)
    Remember, fat and eggs, butter and meats and fish are no-carb. I know some people aim for macros of .8 grams protein per kg of ideal weight but I use Dr. Bikmans recommendation of 1 gram (or more) per kg of ACTUAL weight because I am a bit paranoid about protecting my muscle.
    Hope that might help!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I agree with the others, at this rate it is definitely water retention.
    I put on water retention if it’s hot and humid, or also if I’m sick, and obv if I have eaten carbs. I also put on 4lbs overnight in the week before getting my period…
    Try to cut your carbs and increase fat if you need to have more calories. Give it a few days and it should be gone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.