Substitute for Rice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alan B
    on

My Chinese friend’s mother (who lives in China) has just developed Type 2 (probably triggered by the shock of her husband dying).
    The main food accompaniment in China is rice and it is difficult to suggest eating less rice when there is no real national alternative.
    Any suggestions?

• posted by orchid
    on

Cauliflower rice – if they can get caulis?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

There isn’t really much of a substitute in this country either! Perhaps quinoa, bulgar wheat? Do they get cauliflower in china? For cauli rice? Or just more veg on the plate.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Steamed beansprouts? Or just skip the rice altogether and make up with more veg.

Brown rice is better than white, if she feels she must eat it.

• posted by Bill1954
    on
  • posted by Janet1973
    on

An unusually quiet reply for you bill?

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi karra – you can get them in Sainsbury’s as well. I got a pack a couple of weeks ago, but not really been feeling a need for rice, so unused. Glad to hear they are good – they did not look very appetising in the bag 🙁

• posted by jane c
    on

A small amount of brown rice with lots of veg should be ok shouldn’t it? After the 8 weeks anyway. I’m hoping I’ll be able to eat some carbs in the future.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Jane c,
    It depends what you mean by ‘some’ carbs. Dr M’s vision is that people will continue with the med principles for life so still low carb. The reason why so many people put the weight back on is because they go back to their old habits. Also, as soon as you reintroduce simple carbs your appetite will begin to return, meaning you will want to eat more than you need.

• posted by jane c
    on

Hi Janet,
    I do know what you mean, as I got my blood sugar back to normal in 3 months after a diabetes diagnosis 2 years ago (I’d not heard of this diet then, just did very low carbs and more walking). But my weight and blood sugar crept back up again a bit last year, even though I’d reduced my carb intake and only ever ate wholegrains. I hadn’t realised how insidious carbs are, so addictive. I’m 2 weeks into the BSD now and getting hungry some days, so guess I’m scared to think about no carbs in the future. It’s very hard being vegetarian on this diet.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Jane c, yes that’s something I struggle with too. I enjoy fish but not really any meat, I can face chicken sometimes. But the veggie options generally all have more carbs in them than meat and are not particularly filling. I get away with Quorn but I find it quite salty. I eat a lot of eggs but I think I’ll get bored of them eventually!

You did really well to get your blood sugar under control without any support. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said carbs are insidious. Its a bit of a downward spiral; the more of them we eat, the more we want to eat and so it goes on. That’s what the world is dealing with, its just most people haven’t woken up to that yet. But we have, so one day at a time we can find better things to eat. Our future looks bright doesn’t it?!

• posted by jane c
    on

I hope so, but finding it hard at the moment 🙂
    Eggs are the only really satisfying food for longer than a couple of hours. Though sometimes my head thinks I’m hungry but when I check my stomach it’s fine.
    One unexpected bonus is that I now sleep through the night. I’ve been waking at 3am every night since my perimenopause kicked in (I’m pretty sure that is linked to the diabetes, I was fine before). Chinese medicine says that’s when the liver is working- very interesting.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Very interesting, I’ve not heard that before. I like that about checking your stomach! I definitely sleep better with fewer carbs. I blamed coffee but I think its carbs. Which is great as I prefer coffee to carbs.

You’re two weeks in so your body is still adjusting. Its quite an extreme plan, this one but very worth it. I have found out that the lack of carbs is definitely made up for by the welcome inclusion of fat instead. And I’m going to go to Morrisons tomorrow to see if I can get some of those barenaked rice/noodles as the website says they stock them. They might help fill the void a bit.

Hang in there Jane, it does get easier. Have you had a look at the ‘what have you eaten today’ thread. Might be some more veggie ideas on there.

• posted by jane c
    on

I will do, thanks.
    I’m thinking that gram flour is going to be my friend! Pakora, pancakes etc.
    Thanks for your help 🙂

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Janec and Janet
    Brown rice has complex carbs so is ok in moderation. A tablespoon of cooked brown rice, some onion, cheese and tomato and mushroom makes a great stuffing for a small baked red pepper. I’m vego too but haven’t found the BSD too difficult, just replaced my previous reliance on carbs with more protein, fat and veg.
    Have you seen my zucchini ‘lasagne’ recipe? Has the same texture and just as filling.
    I use halloumi cheese a fair bit to give that satisfying chewy texture to meals.
    Frittatas are filling and good hot or cold with steamed veg or salad.
    Mushrooms and lentils go well together and form the base for curries and bolognaise type sauces. I use the gram flour flatbreads with curry, instead of rice and courgetti instead of spaghetti.
    Also the mushroom lentil combo with some extra veg and gravy or tomato based sauce in a heat proof dish, topped with cauli mash makes a great shepherds pie substitute. I’ve posted a harvest pie recipe which is quite filling.

• posted by jane c
    on

Thanks Cherrianne,
    your lasagne is on the menu this weekend. In fact all your recipes in the next week 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Yes thanks for that cherrianne, I’ll be giving that a go too!

• posted by Gabby67
    on

Cauliflower remove stalks ,blend in the food processor cover and heat for 7min in the microwave turns out really good

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi all! When I can unearth it, next week, I will post a recipe for an Aubergine ‘meatloaf’ – great hot with salsa/tomato sauce, great sliced cold for lunch. Very filling.

• posted by jane c
    on

Great, filling is what I need.
    I was surprised that cauliflower rice is very tasty.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

The aubergine meatloaf sounds very hearty indeed. I like my cauliflower mashed with butter, some salt and pepper and quite often some cheese!

Please log in or register to post a reply.