Struggling with water intake

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all
    Random question because I mentioned this to my partner and he looked at me like I’d gone mad!
    I’m diligently drinking 2L water a day, I don’t drink a lot else, maybe a couple of cups of black tea or coffee. Before I started on Fast800 (two weeks ago) I’m the first to admit I didn’t drink enough – I just don’t really get thirsty.
    Anyway. Fast forward and I’ve been drinking two litres every day, plain water, using a bottle with measures for every two hours. I have to drink the last few bits quite quickly because if I drink that much water before bed I’m up all night and don’t sleep well.
    I have two questions really – firstly when does the peeing stop!!!! My goodness it’s about every half an hour at the moment (not diabetic and wasn’t like that two weeks ago!)
    Secondly does anyone else find this is actually not pleasant this amount of water, I seriously feel quite sick and bloated by the end of the day and what I would describe as “sloshy” BUT have been getting terrible headaches if I don’t drink enough.
    Any tips for making this more tolerable or is it just a matter of waiting for my body to adjust.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Florob – I think the copious peeing will settle down, I agree it is noticeably more frequent at the start (or re-start) of cutting out carbage. Re headaches, I wonder if you might consider checking your salt intake. I think a few regular posters recommend occasionally dipping a fingertip in the salt cellar and licking it off.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi florob85, sixturkeys is right the peeing will settle down when your body reaches a state of equilibrium or balance. But to make it more bearable the reason you are peeing is not because you are drinking more water, you are drinking more water because you are peeing more. Let me explain. You are obviously being very strict on the diet and your body needs to get rid of the fat you are breaking down. Where do you think fat goes when you lose weight – it comes out in your pee, poo and sweat. Your poo might slide out easier or even become too loose, lick your arm and taste the salt. Sorry about the graphics but it is just something else to expect. So the more fat you are losing the more your body needs to flush it out. You are advised to drink more to replace the fluids being flushed out or you will become dehydrated. Next the salt, when you pee you are also flushing out salts – not salt – there are other salts like potassium, magnesium etc. Your body quickly replaces the potassium etc but finds it harder to replace the sodium as that must come from your diet. With lower food intake and less processed foods you will be taking in less salt so you need to replace it but you only need less than a quarter of a teaspoon to reach your daily needs so no need to sprinkle it on everything. As sixturkeys says, just a touch on the tip of your finger should bring you back into normal levels. Talking of which, you might also experience leg cramps. If you do, shout out, I have a cure for that!!!!!

• posted by JGwen
    on

When you eat a high carb diet your body has to store water to help process it. – When you cut out the carbs the body releases that stored water. Hence the getting up to pee during the night. – It will ease.

As the body releases the water the kidneys also release electrolytes with the water. You need to increase your salt intake to compensate.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks ladies I’ll try and persevere through the sloshiness!

Please log in or register to post a reply.