Stress = Higher Readings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nysilver
    on

I’ve been following this way of life for the past 4 weeks, getting great BS readings in the mid 80s each day. Yesterday one of my cats escaped and got lost under a neighbour’s house for 3 hours. My habit is to internalize stress and go into a super-calm mode until the situation has been resolved, probably not good, but it’s what I do… So, measured my BS at 7pm – 122! Cat is back home, telling her sister all about her marvelous adventure and I’m back in the 80s – thought that this would provide a good example of BS science in action; cause and effect!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

The effects of cortisol on blood sugar readings. This is where mindfulness meditation techniques are helpful. I am a novice and can only assume that with practice we can use the techniques during stressful situations. Just a thought. I’m pleased your cat is safely back home with her sister.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Lots of scientific studies out there.
    The big thing for me is that you can *feel* the difference. Mindfulness is about being, hence, if you practise you should have a lower stress/calmer reaction to a perceived crisis and/or recover quicker. Parallel: exercise and recovery times.

• posted by Nysilver
    on

I think my main problem is internalizing stress, so I become very calm on the outside but obviously a roiling mess of stressed out hormones on the inside! I think this is a direct reaction to growing up in a house with very volatile temperaments…hey ho, cat is back and and helping to reduce my blood pressure by sitting on my lap and allowing me to stroke her!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Give the cat a pat from me. They are great and proven stress relief. To that end and keeping mindfulness meditation on topic, there are a series of books commencing with ‘The Dalai Lama’s Cat’ all by David Michie that read as novels told by the cat. The books are a delight to read and it wasn’t until I’d finished reading the first one that I realised that the cat had taught me about aspects of Tibetan Buddhism.

• posted by Nysilver
    on

Cat duly patted! Thanks for the book recommendation. I’m looking for my next Audible book – 2 hours spent commuting each day – so I’ll definitely see whether David Michie is one of the available authors on the site.

Please log in or register to post a reply.