Stopping metformin

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sparker1964
    on

I have, as Dr. Mosley suggests, got my Doc to monitor me on my 8 week journey.

I had my bloods done on day 1 and will have them done again after 4 weeks. then 4 weeks after that, which is hopefully the conclusion of this diet.

But my question concerns my meds… if my sugar levels fall to normal after 8 weeks, couldn’t that be a cumulative effect of the metformin AND the diet? If my blood sugar is naturally ok, won’t taking Metformin and statins and aspirin be harmful?

When do I STOP taking my meds on this 8 week journey?

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Sparker.1964. I used to take Metformin (a low dose) but I stopped taking them because I put on about 12kgs during the 10 months I was on them. If I were you I would keep a record of your blood sugar levels while you are on the diet (at least your fasting BGL) and go see your doctor when you see a significant drop. If he sees a steady decline in BGL he will know what to do. Don’t wait for the 4 week visit. I am not currently taking medication but my doctor wants me too. I asked for 8 weeks grace to try the diet. I have only been on the BSD for 5 days and already my fasting BGL has dropped from 13.5 to 7.6 If I was on meds I would be going to the doctor and sharing this with him now. That way he can monitor progress and make adjustments as required along the way. I am no doctor but that is what I would do. Good luck on your journey. I wish you success.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Sparker 1964 I have recently stopped taking metformin after taking it for 5 or 6 years. My dose was 2000 mg day slow release. Firstly they say that metformin only reduces blood sugar by around 15%, somebody will put me right if that’s incorrect. When I started BSD over 12 months ago my Hba1c, the only reliable measure of blood sugar, was around 6.4. Four months later it had dropped to 5.7 and then a further 6 months later it was down to around 5.4. At this point my metformin was reduced by half and three months on with my HbA1c still stable it was stopped. I am now awaiting my first test without metformin in 7 or 8 weeks time.

I doubt that taking metformin with a ‘normal’ Hba1c will have that much effect and indeed statins shouldn’t harm you even if your cholesterol does fall. Insulin is a different ball game. The important thing is that your doctor is monitoring you so don’t panic. You are fortunate to have a doctor who is on board with this diet so be guided by her/him and good luck.

• posted by Sparker1964
    on

12 months?????
    My goodness, I was under the impression that after 8 weeks or perhaps a LITTLE longer, my sugars would be normal. I can’t live on 800 calls for a whole year…..
    Paging Dr. Mosley!

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Don’t panic Sparker1964. Commit to your 8 weeks and see what results you get. Meanwhile check out other success stories on this forum. It is full of them! As I mentioned earlier my fasting BGL have dropped 5 points in just the first 5 days! Stay positive my friend I am sure success is awaiting you too otherwise you can page Dr. Mosley! lol!!!! And I will be right behind you! 😀

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi I didn’t mean to panic you! They could very well be and your doctor may decide to reduce/remove your medication much much sooner. I didn’t follow this diet with my doctor so I was just having my normal 6 monthly blood tests.

Just one point, the carbohydrates rather than the calories are the real villain. The low calorie diet is to help you lose weight quickly to bring down your blood sugars by helping your pancreas work better. The carbohydrates, especially the refined ones as in rice, bread, pasta and potatoes, cause spikes in bloodsugar. So realistically when you get your blood sugar into the normal range and stop medication you will, always have to be careful about the amount and type of carbs you eat. Otherwise, if you return to ‘normal’ eating your blood sugar will probably rise again especially if you regain weight. On the plus side most people find this way of eating really enjoyable and tend to lose their ‘sweet tooth’. Try to think of this as a lifestyle change and not just an 8 week fix.

• posted by Sparker1964
    on

Whew!
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    I know that this 8 weeks is to promote weight loss down to a healthy weight and I’m sure that my pancreas/liver will lose it’s fatty coating and start to work properly again. But I also know that I have to maintain the weight loss…so I’ll be keeping the scales close at hand. And if the pounds do start to creep back on….its back on the bsd for a week or two.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Sparker1964
    I followed the Blood Sugar diet in 2015 and lost 3 stones in total. Before losing weight I was taking 1500mg Metformin daily.
    My HbA1c gradually dropped as I lost weight on the diet. It is now stable and continues to be in the normal range. My last test was a couple of months ago.
    My dose of Metformin was gradually reduced and finally the doctor agreed that it was ok to stop taking Metformin as even if my blood sugar levels went up .5% I would continue to be within the considered normal range.
    At the time she said it was unusual and in fact…. she had never met someone like me before!!!
    I think she was accustomed to increasing dosages but I think the accepted view of Diabetes is starting to change and the effectiveness of BSD is being recognized.
    Yes you are right about being weight-aware as your last post says. In fact I only logged into the forum because I want to lose half a stone and have started the BSD again. Surprisingly it was no hardship starting all over again on Monday and I’m hoping for a weight loss at my weekly weigh in!!???
    Good luck.

• posted by Sparker1964
    on

TY for your response and WELL DONE on the THREE STONES WEIGHT LOSS!!!…. I hope to emulate you.

Keep it up!

Please log in or register to post a reply.