Stir fry sauce recipes, please.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I like a nice stir fry and it can be a really healthy meal. I used to add noodles and a sachet of sauce (Blue Dragon type). Ditching the noodles has been no problem at all โ€“ but the sauce is more tricky. I’m happy without as I add ginger, garlic, chillies and the like to give plenty of flavour but my husband isn’t. He likes sauce or gravy on everything. I could just add bought sauce to his (I have a few times) but they’re mostly sugar and chemicals and I’m gradually converting him to our way of thinking and eating.

Any suggestions for a BSD friendly sauce? (Nothing involving fish sauce or sesame.)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I just use soy sauce. There are around 35 calories per 100ml and 6g of carbs but you wouldn’t need much so would not get hardly any of that. You could pour the juice over your husbands portion and yours would just have the flavour remaining.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Squidge, funnily enough I was asking someone about stir frying this morning as I’ve never mastered the art. You can buy a gluten free soy sauce but I’m not sure how carby it is. Also the right oil is important. Coconut oil? I knew someone who used to dry fry her veggies with just a couple of table spoons of water, then crumble over an stock cube and keep stirring until it dissolved. But again, I’d have to look up the macros. I look forward to hearing from others on this! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well done on the gradual conversion! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks. I’m not sure soy sauce would be saucy enough for him, but I can try. He was quite sceptical of the BSD until he saw that I wasn’t hungry, felt better, and that most of his favourite foods are allowed. He wasn’t good at knowing whether food would have carbs in without reading the labels. Doing that made him realise how much sugar and ‘junk’ there is in most preprepared food and he was quite shocked.

I usually use olive oil for my stir fries, but I’m sure coconut would be fine. I keep forgetting to buy that!

My ‘secret’ to a stir fry is the slice the vegetables evenly (I don’t mean that the onions must be the same size as the peppers, but all the pepper pieces must be the same, all the mushroom pieces the same etc.) First I gently cook the flavouring things (ginger, chilli, garlic etc) and set them aside. If using prawns, or anything that is spoiled by overcooking, it might be best to cook that first and set aside too. Then add more oil and get the pan/wok really hot โ€“ as hot as your cooker allows. Add each different ingredient separately, starting with whatever needs the longest cooking time โ€“ usually the meat if you’re using that. Don’t add the next until the previous item seems to be cooked. Beansprouts go in almost at the end, followed by the cooked flavourings and fresh coriander or other herbs and any sauce you might use. Have the plates ready and eat immediately.

You can use just about any veg you can think of. Perhaps not beetroot as it would stain everything else, but otherwise I can think of anything which wouldn’t work.

I have a special stirrer thingy (I’m sure there’s a special name for it) but a fish slice would do the job. You sort of turn it over, as though folding cake mix, rather than stirring.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Okay my last ditch effort – add some pineapple or apple juice to the soy sauce – or serve you plate of food and add a sauce for your husband at the last minute. My hubby likes his food wet especially if he is having rice or pasta.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ll probably go for adding a little sauce just to his. Maybe water, soy sauce, tomato puree and cornflower to thicken it will do? He’ll get some carbs from the cornflour, but it won’t be much and he’s not diabetic or overweight โ€“ and it will encourage him to enjoy loads of veg.

Please log in or register to post a reply.