Still multiple night-time loo visits?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

My Type 2 OH has been successfully following a BSD low carb (not particularly calorie restricted) diet since 26th May.

He’s not lost lots of weight although his measurements have gone down a couple of sizes, and he’s feeling really good.

A HbA1c test taken early July showed normal range blood sugar, and the doctor halved his Metformin from 4 to 2. Another blood test next week, he’s hoping to get off Metformin completely.

Good news except he is still getting up to wee 4 or so times per night which unsurprisingly does make him generally tired during the day. This is just the same as before the BSD and is a symptom of diabetes. (He doesn’t think it’s prostate issues, some volume each time)

Not, so far as I can see, because of too much liquid – in fact I don’t think he’s drinking enough, especially early in the day – and investigations on the web point to this as a diabetes symptom not anything else.

Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions? Obviously another visit to doctor shortly but he’s not keen to raise this as yet another issue. Trying to cut down pills, not increase them.

Any thoughts?

• posted by Maefly
    on

Diabetes would be the first thing I would think of, prostate would be second. Maybe it is time for him to get that ruled out?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

You say he’s not drinking much early in the day and that might be the key.

I have a similar problem in that I ‘forget’ to drink and then if I do make it up later in the day I can be disturbed 3 or 4 times in the night, and I think it’s worse for men.

Maybe he should try to stop drinking after maybe 7 or 8pm. If that doesn’t work he should probably mention it to his doctor.

• posted by Bissell
    on

It might be worth getting it checked out with the GP, as you say, getting up 3-4 times each night ruins his ( and yours! ) sleep. I would agree with increasing his fluid intake: too little water and you risk urine infections. Is he producing a fair volume each time? Lots of people make more urine when they lie down, as the fluid build up in the limbs goes back into the system. Does he have high blood pressure? Water tablets during the day might then help. And of course, there is always the prostate possibility. Oh, and try to avoid caffeine drinks in the evening, as this acts as a diuretic too.
    So, all in all, if this continues, a check up might point the way to a solution. Hope some of these ramblings help! Best of lucK.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Whilst he is generally a “thirsty” person I’ve not seen him necking water like I need to within the BSD, so not sure if his total intake.

I’ve now suggested he try to drink more in the day and less after 7pm and if really thirsty in the evening to try just a mouthful of water. He says he will think about trying this.

But maybe as you say, he will need to mention to doctor.

Btw he doesn’t wake me up on his nocturnal visits – fortunately I sleep like a log 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.