Steroid weight gain

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Minaturemojo
    on

Hi all. I’ve just joined and would be really interested if anyone who has gained weight by taking steroids has been able to lose the weight on the blood sugar diet. I have addisons disease an have to take 50mg of hydrocortisone daily for the rest of my life. The 3 stone weight gain is provided very hard to shift.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Minaturemojo, I have no experience with steroids but I have been injecting insulin for the past 10 years. My doctor calls it the fat magnet and, although he was always saying I should lose weight, was of the view that it would be very difficult but possible, so not much hope really. However, although I don’t lose weight at the rate of others I was only 3 stone overweight (only!!!) I have lost 1st 8 lbs of which I lost 1 stone in the first 8 week run and half a stone in the next. After that, probably because I am happier with my weight (need to lose another 1.5 stones) and my BG is well under control, I have taken the indirect route of losing then putting some back on over Christmas, losing that, then regaining because I had a weeks bread around my birthday and now losing again. I will keep going. What you might have to accept is that you are not going to see the big losses but there is hope that you will be able to lose weight over time. Don’t get impatient and give your body a chance to adjust as you lose it little by little. I can be done.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Miniaturemojo, I’m in my 5th week of following BSD and have lost 3.5kg. I take prednisone daily, but a lower dose than you are on (5-20mg, depending on how bad my joints/inflammation is).
    One thing I have noticed is that my pain levels have decreased over the last few weeks and I’m managing on 5mg prednisone. I had put on 3 stone in the last 5 years, and some of that I blame prednisone as I have been on quite high doses some of that time.
    My weight loss is slower than others on here, not sure if that is in part due to prednisone, but a loss is a loss – I just figure it may take longer to get to my end goal that’s all. Good luck 🙂

• posted by Minaturemojo
    on

Thank you both for telling me about your journey so far. It’s encouraging to hear that progress CAN be made even if it is a little slower. I feel a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!! I’ll keep you posted as to how it goes. Good luck to both of you.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Over the past two yeas gained two stone ( on top of my other extra 4 stone) when I had to take Prednisolone for PMR. The dose has gradually been reduced and now I am down to one mg daily and hope to need none soon. I have lost just over two stone, albeit very slowly, since October and laterly seem to have lost a little more as the steroids have reduced.
    Slowly, slowly I’m sure the lbs will come off.
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.