Stepometer– Which one & where from?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by arjaytee
    on

I am going to start the BSD tomorrow . I am no spring chicken (except in my head!) & quite sedentary and my hobbies are painting, sewing etc so don’t involve much moving about. I will start exercise by walking more.
    I’d be interested to find out which pedometer people use and come to that, how do I use one? do I wear it all the time?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Arjaytee
    I have got an Omron Walking Style II Pedometer, and its brilliant – I’ve had it for six years now.
    Bit of a drama last week, I thought I’d broken it because it had been through the washing machine on a hot cycle – but it was fine after it had dried out, it’s went thru on a 30 degree cycle a few years back too, but not recommended!

Things I love about it:
    – sets itself back to zero at midnight
    – holds seven days worth of data
    – measures aerobic steps (basically the number of steps where you’ve walked for more than ten minutes at a reasonably fast pace) – so as well as trying to aim for a high number of steps, I try to get a high number of aerobic steps too.
    – it doesn’t measure the first few steps, so if anything undercounts, but doesn’t clock up false steps when you shift in your chair, or driving on a bumpy road.

When I thought I’d have to replace it last week, I spent a while looking for a new one – they don’t seem to do this model anymore, at least not on Amazon. I did look at other brands, but kept veering back to Omron after reading through the reviews.
    the one that I would have got instead was Omron Walking Style One 2.1 Pedometer – about £14
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Walking-Style-One-Pedometer/dp/B008EHB5PU/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G3J6YZHVBBGP0S3KCYD1

Amazon do have loads of them, from about £1 up – some are rubbish, but just look for one that has decent reviews, and by a good volume of purchasers.

I thought about getting a jawbone or fitbit (you can get unbranded ones too, pretty cheaply, some have good reviews) – but essentially I don’t like having things on my wrist, so I’d probably get irritated, take it off and lose it.
    The other thing you could try is loading an app that tracks steps if you have an iPhone or smart phone.

I do wear mine all the time – I loop it onto the strap of my bra, quite unobtrusive & discreet (unless I start hauling it out in the street!)

Good luck with BSD, hope it goes well

• posted by arjaytee
    on

Thank you for that info Frog. At the moment I’ve found a phone app which I will use to see if it works! Also I’ve a friend who says she has one ‘somewhere’ !
    I think the exercise part of the 8 weeks will challenge me the most. Oh and the 40th b’day party of two of my church friends and the 4 day Summer Gathering……… But there will never be 8 weeks without a celebration so I started today

Please log in or register to post a reply.