Starting tomorrow!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Vickitum
    on

Hello, I’m looking forward to starting the BSD tomorrow. Although not diabetic I carry all my weight around my tummy, I am regularly asked by my 4 year old son” are you growing a baby?!” I had gestational diabetes so know if I don’t start looking after my self I’m on a slippery slope. I am addicted to carbs but I feel determined to succeed. All the posts are on the forum are really helpful. Wish me luck!

• posted by Buntyliz
    on

Yes, good luck!!

I started 10 days ago and at the end of my first week was 8 lbs down. Hand over heart, I have to honestly say that its the best diet Ive ever followed – and like so may people, I’ve done them all!!

Of course there’s moments when the evil little devil on your shoulder tries to make you stray – but ignore him and a few minutes later the feeling has passed. The food is delicious and I’ve not felt hungry once.

Luck has nothing to do with it, you hold all the cards!

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Hi Vickitum, good luck for tomorrow , how very sensible to act now and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes . This is day 6 for me and the scales told me this morning that I have lost 10 lbs and I’m so amazed. The first 3 days were hard as I suffered bad headaches but now I’m feeling more energised and the majority of the food is lovely . It s like getting reacquainted with your taste buds.๐Ÿ˜Š. This week i will tackle exercise as well …….
    Stick with it ……… You can do it

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good Luck for Tomorrow!! I too am starting the BSD tomorrow, and I know there is at least one other person on the forum who is doing so as well. With a little focus, I’m confident we can do this, will check your thread periodically to see how you are doing.

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Yay!! I am starting tommorow too!! Am looking forward to it. So glad that there are others starting tommorow too. I am similar to you Vickitum in that I am not diabetic ( that I know of) however I have many of the ailments linked to pre diabetes and I have 4-5 stone to shed to get into the healthy BMI zone. I am doing this for the health benefits and will be grateful for the support of others so hope to check in here often. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alcestis
    on

Is there room for another? I’m starting tomorrow as well. Not pre-diabetic but definitely over-short for my weight! I’ve been putting it off for a while due to social events/family commitments but looking forward to it. Good luck to you all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope everyone has found their first day on the BSD manageable. Have to confess I found it easier than I had feared. Came in at 810 calories for the day – smidge over, but I’m not going to stress about it. I have religiously counted absolutely everything, so am happy with the outcome. Looking forward to see some results as my week progresses and to hearing how everyone else is fairing.

• posted by Christopher2353
    on

You know you’re taking the diet seriously this time when you find yourself saying, “Oh sod it, I’m having an extra gram of seeds, I have just walked five miles.” So, yes surprisingly easy, but then it has only been five days.

• posted by tamznlaws
    on

Well done sunnyB. I have also gone over my calories but I have talked/ran 9k so not going to stress too much. I am also weighing everything. I made the blueberry green tea shake for breakfast. The book states it as 100 calories. However, it came out at over 170 so i had to jiggle it about. Got it to 128 in the end.

Wishing all you lovely people a great start and end to day 1.

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Well done. I hope it encourages you if I say that although an inveretate “snacker” I REALLY haven’t felt hungry on this diet. This is the only diet I have ever done about which I can say that. It seems to be so much about WHAT you eat, even more than the amount. The recipes supplied really keep you satisfied for hours. Keep to it (3 weeks and 12 lbs off so far – and I was on the 5:2 already)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I started off this year on weight watchers and lost three pounds in two weeks (I thought I should be grateful for anything in a downwards direction!) and then stopped counting points. But I was more hungry doing that diet than I have been in my ten days on this diet so far. And yet, I was probably on twice as many calories, but most of my food then was carbs, especially pasta and potatoes.

• posted by Aly
    on

Tried two days last week and found it too hard. Have spent time looking at recipes and made my shopping list for tomorrow. Will try again. I find it difficult being vegetarian as I get so hungry. It scares me to think of doing without carbs!

• posted by GinDibs
    on

Hi I started on 15 Feb and have lost 7 pounds so far…… I had a small hiccup on Fri eve at a family get together, there was food everywhere!!! Managed to resist all the really bad stuff but did eat a few lumps of cheese with grapes. Also have been craving chocolate a bit (my downfall) as I had some dark choc on Sat as I made the skinny chilli which has it as an ingredient so ate the leftover bit. Going to keep on going but I am going to Vienna Friday to Mon and am a bit worried about what to eat!

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Hi I have had a good first day. I had yogurt and apple for breakie, the pepper with jewelled feta for lunch (so filling) and the foil steamed fish for dinner. It was delicious but am used to having huge dinner portions. Am having some hunger pangs now so am going to bed to read and take my mind off it. My fitness pal just gave me a telling off lol! It said I have not eaten enough calories today ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope all those who started the BSD on Monday, are happy with how things are progressing. I feel I have had a good start and find as day 3 starts, that I’m down by 1.5lb. Have found like AllieBee I have had the odd hunger pang, but nothing major and actually starting to see some positive results, makes that all worth while. And in truth, it’s not been a struggle, although I do find I want my evening meal earlier than I would normally eat – no big deal.

Hope to hear how everyone else is doing.

• posted by Vickitum
    on

Hi SunnyB

Pleased it’s going well for you. I’ve had the odd hunger bang before bed but apart from that I’ve felt full during the day. I’ve been forcing myself to drink as I know I don’t drink enough. I’ve been planning my meals for the following day the evening before, I work 9.30-12.30 and if I haven’t prepared or planned in my head what I’ll have for lunch I tend to eat anything within reach without thinking!

I had No-carb bircher for breakfast today and it was so nice!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Vickitum – glad things are progressing well for your too. Know what you mean about the drinking thing, it is one of my downfalls too – having to make a conscious effort to drink plenty as well. Have found I can get by planning meals on the day, although I have an idea what I’m going to have for breakfast each day, before I go to bed – yogurt and raspberries have feature quite prominently though.

Overall it’s not been as challenging as I thought I might be.

• posted by MBee
    on

Hi, I’m a newbie. Got the book at the weekend. Have started halfheartedly in the last couple of days, but need to get a good grip on calorie counting. I’m mid 40s, 3 young children, job, elderly mother, been overweight for 10 years since my eldest was born. I’m pretty active – can run 5k and do an hour and a half’s ashtanga class without passing out – but can’t seem to shift the weight, increasingly round my middle, and determined to do something before it’s too late and becomes a medical emergency. Evening snacking is my nemesis.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi MBee
    I don’t envy you juggling this diet with three young children, elderly mum and a job, but you are already ahead of me, as you seem to have the exercise sorted – big motivational issue for me. The BSD does take a bit of planning, stick with it though, because it will give results for sure. With the daily calorie allowance being so low, it will be hard to save any for evening snacks, but if you are careful during the day, I guess it might be possible.

Good luck with the diet and let us know how you get on.

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Hi there – how has everybody else who has just finished week one getting on?
    I am astounded!! Lol.
    I have lost 4.1kg which is 9lb – also 1 1/2 inches round my waist!
    I suspect it will slow down this week though.
    I had one mishap where I forgot to take my lunch to work and had to buy a roll – I was starving later on. It certainly didn’t fill me the same as my new way of eating. I also had some red wine last night as I am off work for the week and although I will be just sorting house stuff I felt in the holiday mood LoL.

I have suffered with what gp says is IBS since my late teens I am 41 now. This week I have had no flare ups at all. I can’t tell you how good that feels not having to run back and forward to the loo as that has really effected the quality of my life.

I have had a few tired days but some days I have been full of energy which is not the norm.

I have really been enjoying the food and my hubby bought me a spiraliser this week as a wee pressie. Am loving courgetti!!!

I would like to purchase a blender to make shakes and the cauliflower rice etc. Can anyone recommend a good one that does not cost a fortune?

Only niggle is that I have woke up every night once or twice to wee even if I stop drinking early evening. Ha ha Maybe it will settle down soon?

Hope everyone else is doing good – would be lovely to hear about your first week.

:).

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Brilliant results Alliebee.
    This is the kind of thing that is sure to encourage and motivate others and this is just the start.
    Keep it up ! you have a very interesting story to tell.

• posted by Aly
    on

On the whole have done ok. After three days I went down with carb flu and am still suffering. I gave in to two small roast potatoes yesterday but when I tried a piece of cake I couldn’t eat it! I gave my stock of digestive biscuits to the chickens but do not want any. It is very weird that I do not miss all the carbs so far. Still struggling a bit sorting out meals but am getting there. My tummy is definetly smaller and my clothes are a little big so something is happening. At some point I will brave the scales.
    It is still early days for me but having come through the worst of withdrawal I am keen to keep going.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

LMAO
    sorry Aly but I just had this mental image of your overweight and diabetic chickens queuing up for their morning Metformin ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Aly
    on

Very good! They free range and I get 10 eggs each day so they need a few extras! They are getting the pasta too now!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congrats to AllieBee and Ally, sounds like it’s going really well. I have had a good week, losing 5lb and a half inch off my waist, not as impressive as your results AllieBee, but getting there! I’m hoping my results will not drop off too drastically this week, but I’m not expecting to lose another 5lb this week – would be nice to drop three though.

Have found the diet is making me think about what I am cooking and sparked some inventiveness. I am making a moussaka for this evening, using lots of veggies to pad it out and only using aubergine, no potatoes. Found that 30g full fat yogurt with 25g of sultanas soaked in rose or ginger tea makes is surprisingly filling and satisfying as a sweet treat, if needed for a fix of something sweet – comes in around 107calories, depending on the yogurt used.

Overall though, not really missing carbs and my body seems to be coping fine without them. Have found I am sleeping better, my only problem is constipation, as I struggle to drink enough – it’s always been a downfall of mine. Added to that a naturally sluggish bowel and this drastic diet change was always going to have an impact in this area. It’s not causing a huge problem and I’m working to resolve it. This has been the only bugbear for me though and seeing actual results on the scales, more than makes up for a blip in this area.

Best wishes to all those that started the BSD last Monday as well – hope you are see good results too and that it will continue.

• posted by yorkshirelass
    on

Hi I’ve just completed week1 I have lost 5 lb in 9 days-which isn’t a vast amount I know but having done slimming world diet before, I had already cut down on carbs and never ate sweets apart from dark chocolate(1 small square a week).

I thought I would miss rice, toast and pasta, but I have loved all the recipes that I have tried and they have been quite satisfying.
    Normally I would be waiting to have lunch bang on 12 but today managed a rugged 4 mile walk with the dog and easily waited until the homemade soup was ready well after 1pm, having had spinach and pea omlette for breakfast.
    I particularly liked the blueberry and green tea shake, portobello toast with goats cheese, pepper with jewelled feta.
    My blood sugar has come down from around 6 plus to 5.6.

As a person with mother and grandmother who were diabetic, being a low birth weight baby 3lb 9oz(also a risk factor), having given birth to 2 largish babies nearly nine pounds, and carrying any extra weight around my middle I feel this diet is my best chance of not becoming a full blown diabetic.
    I am to become a grandmother in June and hope to welcome the new addition to the family in great shape, THANKS TO MICHAEL AND CO.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Yorkshirelass – well done on your achievement, 5lb is 5lb in the right direction and you can see the positive in the blood sugar level as well, so you have every right to feel pleased with yourself. I too carry weight around my middle, but luckily, have no serious pre-diabetic concerns, however, I felt it was definitely time to get serious about getting my weight under control.

Like you, I am finding the diet surprisingly satisfying, given that the portions are much smaller than I would normally eat. It’s been fairly easy to stick to and so far, I haven’t had any real cravings for sweet stuff and have only had the odd hunger pang. Haven’t tried the blueberry and green tea shake yet, but it’s on my list. Think tomorrow, I’ll be making a veggie soup, with whatever is in the fridge that hasn’t much longer ’til it’s only fit for the bin.

Anyway, hope you have a good week and an excellent result at the end of it. Good luck.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Panicking!!! Third day I have got on the scales to see no movement at all! Any advise gratefully received. Have checked over my food records for the last few days and can’t see any anomalies. Has anyone else had this problem?

• posted by Aly
    on

This is why I do not weigh often. My first week over today and checked the scales, have lost 6lbs. It may be that your body is taking a while to adjust. We are all different, some lose massive amounts some a little. Give it a full week and you will hopefully see a difference.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have been weighing daily, as the book says those who weigh more often, are more likely to stick with the diet and I have to admit that part is working for me. However, this is my second week and I lost steadily through the first week, so it is concerning not to see any loss at all since Monday. I am sticking with the diet, but find this ‘plateau’ worrying, just hoping things will start to go in the right direction again.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Plateaus are completely normal, it’s just your body adjusting to a new way of eating, it’s also common for your weight to fluctuate by up to 4 lbs over the course of the day.
    I know what Michael says re getting weighed and it’s the one thing I disagree with. Getting weighed once a week at the same time on the same scales works for me.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi SunnyB

I do weigh myself every day, as Michael says, if you pick just one day, that might be a day where you have gained some, so its better to take a week’s readings and divide them by seven to get an average weight loss for the week and then the month if you want to. I also read the same advice in Rose Elliot’s book and her reasons are slightly different. She says weighing every day takes the emotion out of it because its just part of your getting-up routine, rather than a big event that you’ve built up to.

My weight doesn’t change on a daily basis; typically I will stay the same for three days then drop a half or a pound, then stay the same then put on half a pound. But as Bill says, our weight will fluctuate due to all kinds of reasons, many of them hormonal so its hard to be in complete control. I have still lost weight on this programme faster than any other I have done – and I’ve done a lot! The first week is always going to give the best results because of the water you shed which was trying to deal with the toxins of your old diet. Now you have cleaned up your diet, the water is no longer needed. From the second week onwards, or thereabouts, its going to be fat loss.

Stick with it and be kind to yourslef; the sure fire way to make sure this diet doesn’t work is to get disheartened and fall back into old ways. I’m sure you will see some movement in the next few days.

Please log in or register to post a reply.