Starting Today Momday 13th February

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

I’m on A/l this week so my real test has been staying at home and not eating- Tuesday and weds went well and I have stuck to just eating brunch and evening meal, yesterday was breakfast, made soup for lunch and a chicken dinner- even did OH roast potatoes and wasn’t even envious that he had them- had chicken with carrots and broccoli

This morning I decided not to have my usual yoghurt and berries and cooked 2 flat mushrooms- changed from the book at bit as didn’t have spinach so chopped up a tomatoe with 4 basil leaves 5g of pine nuts and 30g feta cheese- comes in at 159 cals and abiut 5g carbs so not too bad

Lunch I will have the pepper soup I made yesterday- I know this is high in carbs but I love the red pepper and squash soup

Dinner with just have left over chicken and salad so should be a much lower carb day

I’ve missed not having berries already so will probably have some with my lunch

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all-

Had been doing so well and then tonight I caved in- was making me a chicken salad and OH was having a chicken baguette- they were just the oven baked ones- I cooked both baguettes and ate 1/8 of it- really feel let down – it’s actually not too bad but it has put me at 57g carb and 922 cal πŸ™

Oh well my own fault for being weak! Lol

I hunk I need to stop buying cheddar cheese as this is my other down fall and I think I’m eating too much cheese to compensate not having fruit.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That shouldn’t be bad enough to put any weight back on, so just keep on keeping on and make tomorrow a great day. I’m with you on the cheese, I have been pretty controlled, forcing myself to weigh every piece because I still don’t trust myself.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Chelle – as far as succumbing to temptation goes, yours doesn’t even come close, so please don’t beat yourself up, I very much doubt you have done any damage so just pick yourself up and carry on.

I love cheese too (and nuts) but it is so easy to over-indulge in both, so I find that one of the best snacks for me, if I need it, is parma ham. It fills every criteria as far as I am concerned, low calorie, lots of protein, good fats, almost zero carbs, very tasty and some salt too (which is needed if you are drinking enough water)! I very rarely eat meat, so maybe my body is telling me something whilst on BSD? I allow for 2 slices (27g) every day in my food diary, but don’t always need them. Just chew it really slowly, in little pieces, or it is gone before you know it. I don’t know if it will work for you, or even if you like it, but it certainly satisfies my cravings if I get an attack of the munchies.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Stick with it Gayn55. I am Diabetic. My BS levels are now in the normal range, but I still have it I am told. I have lost 2 1/2 stone and I stopped for weeks after I collapsed. But I worked out why and sorted it out. Really really impressed with the results. I lost 5ibs in my first week. You could too!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Breakfast today was yogurt and fruit and flaked almonds – I find this keeps me feeling full until lunch time- just about to make lunch of 2 mushrooms

Dinner I have mince so think I may make burgers πŸ™‚

Today I am not having and other cheese apart from 30g feta on my mushrooms

• posted by Jax61
    on

I have had a fairly full on,stressful few days at work this week. My weigh in day is Sunday but I did a sneak weigh yesterday and had only lost 0.2 lbs. it is a bit disheartening but I do know that if I stick with it I will get a drop in weight at some stage. I’ve eaten well under 800 cals the last couple of days as I’ve been so busy. I now have a cold which makes me crave some comfort food but not given in so far. I think the weekend may be difficult!

Chelle, hope you are staying on the straight and narrow today!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all

Hope you are all doing well?

As per usual I’ve had good days and bad days- I’m back at work next week so should be a good week as I plan meals and tend to stick to them

My down falls are

Being at home
    Cheese
    Not drinking enough water ( when at homeΒ£
    Temptation of over eating

So Friday OH said he would make the burgers- he did they were really tasty- I was really proud of my self that I had done so well over the last view days- I then discover he had made thrm double the size so I was then about 250cal over for Friday as didn’t actually know the weight of each burger so sort of worked it out from my fitness app npby making the recipe with the ingredients used and then doubling the portion!

Yesterday I craving cheese scones so I made some from wholemeal flour- each was 300cal with butter so I had one for lunch- I then let myself down an ate another….
    Dinner I just had a chicken breast with rocket and a tomatoe

Even with the 2 scones- calaroies are 1047 –

I know I’ve already lost weight as I’ve had to move my belt 1 notch further down

I have decided not to beat myself up if I go way over- I feel these are just little blips- it’s not like I’m having a whole pizza or anything so think I will carry on- perhaps when I feel like a naughty snack I will bake something from the book

It’s pancake day on Tuesday- I always make Canadian pancakes and have with bacon and a tablespoon of maple syrup- it works out something ridiculous like 526 cals per serving but a serving is 3 pancakes each so wondering if just to have 1 pancake and the bacon so which then takes it down to 250cal with the bacon and syrup and still a lot of carbs 24g but if I watch the carbs for the r st of the day and have you hurt and fruit for breakfast- salad at lunch and then pancakes for t I can actually be within target and still have a little bit of what I like πŸ™‚

• posted by Jax61
    on

Weigh in day and only lost 0.6 lbs which is disappointing. However another inch from my waist and 1.5% off body fat so something is happening. I really wanted breakfast this morning. I used to make a smoothie with berries, yoghurt, almond milk and avocado which is ok apart from the tablespoon full of honey. I would love one right now! I’ve made a cup of tea instead. πŸ˜•

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Trying to work out the calaroies for dinner- I have no clue- bought a crispy duck and pancakes from aldi- I didn’t have the pancakes but had lettuce instead – half the duck and pancakes and hoisin works out at over 500 cal but I only had lettuce- I have worked out the 6 pancakes are around 200 cals so think I will minus this and then work out the cals and carb for the lettuce onion duck and hoisin- if this is even round 400cal then I am on target- even if I just count it as 500 would still make it as 927cal

Tomorrow I will bbe back on it

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hoisin sauce is a hidden danger. A single tbslp (16 grams) is 35 calories, 7 grams of carbs, 4 of them sugar. It’s bad but manageable if you’re doing the measuring, but if the hoisin is already in a prepared dish, you could very easily be consuming dozens of carb grams without realizing it. Chinese sauces in general tend to be quite high in sugar relative to serving size.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Thanks….!

Anyway moving on- today had yiu hurt and fruit for breakfast- 2 chopped up strawberries mid morning- soup for lunch with a blood orange- omg I love these so much- having scrambled egg with salmon- mushrooms and a tomato for dinner- drank more water too do a positive start to the week – even if the orange is high in carbs and sugar and a hidden bomb etc……

• posted by Jax61
    on

Tomorrow I will have completed 3 weeks. After having hit a plateau in week 2 and beginning of week 3, I am pleased that I have now dropped another 4 lbs since week 1 and my body fat ratio has reached 36%. I have felt tired this week but perked up over the last 2 days. I so wanted to eat something sweet particularly when tired, however I refrained. Lots of birthdays this week at work so lots of cakes! I am on track to fit into my dress which is a size 12, for a wedding on the 1st April. I probably need to lose another 6 lbs in 4 weeks so I am hopeful that this will be possible.
    Not quite as much exercise this week, just 2 spinning classes. Will do some weights later. I can’t believe that it’s possible to eat just 800 cals and feel full. My desire for chocolate/cake is just a craving, I’m not really hungry.

I am wondering whether all of you Feb starters are still on the diet as postings are few. If you are, please post so we can motivate and support one another. πŸ˜€

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey – I’m still plodding on- have good days snd bad but I feel much end,their for not eating stodgy carbs – I chsnge see my love handles going so thus is a good sign- I don’t own scales snd I’m not tempted to buy any either- I will know I have hit my target when old clothes fit πŸ™‚

I don’t think,I can ever reach under 800 cals but I stick to under 1000- my biggest is too many carbs- I am slowly getting there those th and that to me is the main thing

• posted by Jax61
    on

If you can feel a difference then the diet is obviously working so you are doing something right. When I have been on diets before I have never weighed but could tell I was losing weight. I think this approach takes some of the pressure off. I have gone up by 1lb today. If I had weighing on previous diets I would have been very despondent and probably gone off the rails but because several BSD dieters have reported that weight goes up and down an plateaus I’m ok with a gain as I know I will drop again. It is sometimes hard keeping to around 50g carbs which is what I aim for. And sometimes I end up being way under 800 because I have reached my carbs. I have 3 apples in my fruit bowl that I would love to have but they have so many carbs!
    Any way well done Chelle you are doing great.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

I’ve worked out that 150 cals of my are taken up by 3 cups of coffee- I have quite a lot of milk nearly 100ml in each cup but I don’t think I could give up coffee- I could try less milk but I’m not sure I want to

I need to find different lunches- I work 5 days and literally only have a moctorwave at work

Lunches current,y consist of- 2 days a week I have soup- I make the red pepper and squash soup- I love this- I find it really filling- but it is high in carbs- I”ve a,ways made soups- carrot and coriander or sweet potato and squash( dread to think how many carbs were it that)

For the other 3 days I am having rocket, 1 tomato, picked onions and either a bit of cheese or some ham followed by 2 Huge strawberries chopped into tiny pieces – or a blood orange- love them and as they are in season cannot resist

Not eating so much fruit is my hardest!

Dinner I need to work on a bit more- I tend to eat fish and salad or pork chop and cabbage- chicken etc- think I am ok with evenings

Again weekends are my down fall- so far I have resisted any wine for the last 2 weeks- big step for me as usually as Saturday night was takeaway and a bottle of red to myself-

I had a Chinese takeaway this weekend but I stuck to beef and cashew nuts no rice and some prawn crackers which I think equated to 500 cals and about 20g carbs- the rest of the day I was quite good as I was working so I had yoghurt and fruit for breakfast- I then forgot my lunch and found an apple in my bag so had that – this but me hugely over my carbs I know but only 17 cals over 800 and that inc,used 3 cups of coffee

• posted by Theodora
    on

Chelle – as far as coffee is concerned, perhaps you could wean your way, over the course of a week or two, to having less milk in each cup? I love coffee too, and used to take it milky. However, I now couldn’t drink milky coffee if you paid me – I like it good and strong, with no more than 10ml of milk, which equates to less than 1/2 gram carbs, and indeed, since reducing the amount of milk a few years ago, I am now happy to drink it black if necessary. I take my tea black too. If you have 3 cups with 100ml you are using approx. 14g carb out of your daily allowance!! I try to keep my carbs to between 25 – 30 a day, so that would be half my daily carbs accounted for, and pushing 1/4 daily calorie allowance, just with coffee!

Good luck, whatever you decide – and well done on resisting the wine.

• posted by GEGE
    on

Hi I am going to start the BSD tomorrow after reading both the book and the recipe book. But felt I also I needed some support of people. I am not yet diabetic but if I continue this way I will be definietly .

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes I think I do need to cut down on my milk not my actual coffee consumption- just couldn’t cope with no coffee too! Lol

I think I started to have lots of milk as this was the only calcium I had due to eczema and not being able to eat load of dairy- I’ve discovered since been in this diet that I still can’t have too much dairy so as I’m having full fat Greek yoghurt- if I have cheese and milky coffee then it comes back- good motivation not too have too much- loving my breakfast as look
    Forward to raspberries and blueberries

Theodora- what do you eat to stay so low on your carbs and calories?

GEGE- best of luck- I love this forum for tips and motivation- xx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Unsweetened almond milk has more calcium than cow’s milk (450 mg vs. 290 mg per cup), and it has virtually no carbs. A full cup (240 ml) of Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk, plain or vanilla, is 30 calories. You could drink 10 mugs of the beigest coffee and still not make a dent in your carb/calorie allowance for the day if you switched from dairy to almond. It would also loosen up the chains so you could enjoy more yogurt and/or cheese.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Chelle – you ask what I eat to keep my calories below 800 and my carbs below 30, so I will tell you what I had today:-

Breakfast, which I have late – about 10.30 to 11am as I walk the dogs first. I have the same everyday – 125g Fage yoghurt and 50g blueberries. Total of 11.99g carb, and 148 calories.

Dinner – As it’s the weekend, we have 2 courses, but during the week, the starter could be lunch if preferred. O/H likes his roasts on a Sunday too. So, starter of egg en cocotte (individual ramekins, bottom-lined with 2 sliced cherry tomatoes, egg broken on top, topped by 15g Fage yoghurt, and 1 tbsp. grated cheddar, baked in a bain marie for 10 mins) Total of 2.36g carbs and 122 calories. Main course was roast chicken (I had 150g) with small serving of homemade chicken gravy, tenderstem broccoli and sugar snap peas (obviously o/h had roast potatoes and stuffing as well) Total for me 11.55g carb (6.45 of which was the gravy!!) and 395 calories.

I’d also allowed for 5 brazil nuts as a snack ( 1.72g carbs, 92 calories), but haven’t needed them as I still feel really full from dinner.

Total for the day, inc the nuts, would be 27.62g carbs and 757 calories, but as I haven’t had them my total today has been 25.9g carbs and 665 calories. And I am full, really wouldn’t want anything else to eat.

Oh, and drinks have consisted of 4pts tap water, 5 mugs black tea and 2 mugs of black coffee, so all calorie and carb free πŸ™‚

But if you cannot stomach black tea or coffee, Esnecca’s suggestion of unsweetened almond milk is a really good one, providing you aren’t allergic to nuts of course πŸ˜‰

• posted by pettip
    on

This thread has gone quiet. Hopefully that’s because everyone has got the hang of it.

Week 5 starts today. I’ve managed to shift 20lb and gone down a dress size having lost 16 inches from all over my body, over the last 4 weeks.

Most days I’m still quite hungry after meals but I keep reminding myself that it is only for 8 weeks and then I can eat more. Besides I’ve found some really tasty recipes that keep me looking forward to the next meal and don’t want to spoil my “good” streak.

As an ex carb-junkie I thought I’d miss the white stuff and sweets much more than I do. I was pre diabetic amongst other things before starting this diet and all my symptoms have gone! Really pleased.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey petttip- such amazing results you’ve had! I started on 13th but then at the end of 1st week went to see famiky so just wrote off that week- I therefore jumped onto 20th feb board which has been busy!

16 inches is fab- I think I need to change what I eat as I dint think I’m losing weight quickly-

Have you been doing exercise too? You must really stick to 800, what carb level- I’m always on or over 50g of carb as I miss having fruit

What sort of meals are you having?

I can see my body changing but like you still have a tummy and love handles! Lol

I’m luckily not pre diabetic or anything but both my mum and sister are so know if I carried on with a tyre tummy then chances are I would too- I have to admit that since cutting out bread etc my tummy feels beer as I always used to have a gurgling bloated tummy after bread.

I’ve not cut my milk down from 300ml a day to 50ml as I can’t give up coffee!

I think I just need more will power!

• posted by pettip
    on

Chelle1981 I’m trying to make life easy for myself by having the sane breakfast 5 days out of 7: Blueberries and raspberries warmed up in microwave mixed with 100g full fat greek yogurt – takes like I’m having dessert. Lunch is usually the day before’s leftovers with tons of veg or soup or frittata or omelette or scrambled egg. I have discovered the lentil and spinach daal recipe on here which is delicious! I just adapt my family’s evening meal for me, for example: last week i made cottage pie for my brood but made mine in a ramekin replacing the mashed potato with cauliflower mash. Super delicious because I added a knob of butter and parmesan to mash the cauliflower.

• posted by pettip
    on

I’m trying to keep up with my running. I’ve low endurance and much slower times since starting this diet.

I don’t really count carbs, but having checked I’m usually 35-65g a day.

I’ve got to say that I’ve tried all the major diets and have had great success losing a significant amount of weight with each one, but this diet has taught me a totally sustainable new way of eating for life; something that was lacking in all the other diets. Thanks Dr Mosley.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hey

I’m starting again today. I lost 1 1/2 stone in January and February doing this but have gained a few lbs as I went on holiday for 2 weeks. Now its time to carry on so Operation Size 14 starts today!

Feeling alright so far, just not looking forward to the prospect of not having a wine with my meals in the evenings. Still, it is worth it when the scales show the “whoosh” of the losses and the clothes get looser and looser every weekend…

Lets do this πŸ™‚

ps… Michael’s fish pie for tea from the book.. it’s so yummy! Excellent.

xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.