Starting the BSD on Saturday 13th January 2018.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Hi,

So, I’m on holiday at the moment (two weeks after everyone else) and I’ve decided to start the BSD upon my return home – no point spoiling the last couple of days. I did the 5:2 about three years ago and lost three stones but the weight has gradually been creeping up and I have just over a stone to lose. As an incentive I’m going away diving at the end of February – just over 5 weeks time, so I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get somewhere near my goal by then. I’ll post all my starting weights and measurements on Saturday morning. In the meantime, all inappropriate and tempting food at home was cleared out before going away and a delivery of BSD suitable ingredients has been arranged for Saturday morning, so there should be no excuses.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Welcome, ScubaDo – no prizes for guessing why you chose your user name😉

Sounds as though you are all organised and ready to go, so will just wish you good luck – reckon you’ll make a big hole in that stone in 5 weeks😊

If you need help or encouragement, just shout and someone will come running.

• posted by traceyanne
    on

Hey ScubaDo!

I’m sorry for jumping on your post but figured it didn’t make sense to start another one!

I am also about to embark on the BSD, as soon as the gastroenteritis has done one. On the plus side to that I haven’t eaten in 4 days so I probably won’t notice the reduced calories of the BSD lol 🙂

I am feeling positive but slightly nervous, I’m not sure with a job and 4 year old twins that only eat a diet of beige food that this is going to be successful but I’m crossing everything and wishing for the baywatch body! I like a challenge and this is definitely one!!!

Good luck to you and anyone else that takes up the gauntlet of challenge!!!
    Tracey x

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hubby and I started on 10th, this is our first time doing anything like this. I’ve lost 4lbs in the three days and haven’t felt hungry till this morning.
    I’ve had a couple of bad night’s sleep and wondered if this was normal in the early stages, could be my head full of weights & measures and meal planning, hunger or just the need for a wee, but I’m not doing so well this morning as I’m so tired.
    Going to get out and have a walk now, hope that gets me going.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hello ScubaDo & Traceyanne,
    Sorry, for the grumpy post, been for a quick walk and planted the bulbs I got for Christmas so feeling much more alive now.
    Have you started yet, and if so how’s it going? I think this first week must be the hardest getting your head round what you can & can’t have and the portion sizes. We’re picking and choosing from the recipes in the book rather than following the meal plan so it’s taking a bit of time each night planning & preparing food for the following day.
    Good luck with it both of you, hope you’re feeling better Traceyanne.

• posted by Julia V
    on

Congratulations to all those who are actually managing to do this & are seeing results!

I am still prevaricating & tinkering around the edges, in my usual uncertain way. I have actually gained weight, after an initial small loss. This is extremely disheartening & has led to me eating unsuitable carbs ( illogical but typical response). Perhaps if I could just commit fully, firstly by deciding on exactly which plan I am going to follow, I would see some encouraging results.

Unfortunately the hormone therapy I am on to prevent breast cancer recurrence is known to cause weight gain or at least to impede weight loss, so that’s an extra challenge about which I can do nothing, since I have to have the treatment.

Sorry if this is negative & thanks in advance for any advice/support offered by you marvellous people.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Good morning all and thank you for your responses.

I’ve weighed myself – 76.9kg and measured my waist – 36 inches (seems the jeans that Gap claim have a 32 inch waist are very generous). This gives me a BMI (according to the NHS website) of 25.9. They shout at me that I am overweight (correct) and that losing 12.8kg would put me right in the middle of a healthy BMI. This may be so but I have been at that weight in the past and looked scrawny and unwell, so that will not be my target. Instead I will be aiming to lose 6.9kg to take me down to 70kg.

This morning I started with a ham omelette and a black coffee. I’ve got a fridge with plenty of low carb options and I’m probably going to have a chicken salad for lunch.

The need to go to the toilet will go after the first few nights, Legend2cv, and then you should start finding yourself getting a much more refreshing sleep.

• posted by Wannabeslim
    on

Hi
    Can I join you? I need to get a new job and need the confidence of fitting into clothes and feeling good to do it!

I didn’t get myself going after new year but am on it now so would love to join your merry band of 13th jan starters. My New Years resolution ( well 13 th jan) is to walk 15 k steps a day and drink 3l water and 800 cal.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hello Wannabeslim (love the name, so do I) & welcome!

I got hubby to take a ‘before’ photo from front, back & side today, they are so awful the temptation was to just delete them but hoping they will be treasured in a few months.

Just tucking into scrummy veggie curry, not missing the rice at all, just don’t mention naan bread though!

Hope you’ve all had a good day.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Day 2. Good morning, I’m still at the excitable stage so checking my weight each day and…. look at that water weight go – down 1kg to 75.9kg. Definitely worth the extra couple of trips to the loo overnight!

• posted by Wannabeslim
    on

Well done Scubado. Enthusiasm is always good for us all. I am similarly down today after a few trips in the night if it pushes us through to day 3 then happy days!

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hi ScubaDo, we’ll done!
    I think I might be at the excitable stage all the way through! I’ve lost 6lbs this week (but only started BSD on Weds) and all the measurements below waist are a little less. Although I know it’s water loss it’s still encouraging.
    Really enjoying the food side of things, just need to find the motivation to exercise now!

• posted by Wannabeslim
    on

Ooh Legend2cv. You are a legend that is brilliant, no wonder you are excited . That’s nearly down a size another week and one size gone yippee! I will hold on to your coat tails …hope you don’t mind🤩

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

I’ve just made a spreadsheet to put my weights and measurements in and realised the end of the 8 weeks is when we’ve booked flights to France to see our new Grandson due on 5th March, hopefully I’ll be a skinny Nana by then & Grandpa will be diabetes free.
    Now that’s motivation!

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Thanks Wannabeslim, hopefully we’ll all get to our targets together.

• posted by traceyanne
    on

Wow everybody you’re doing great! I’m still sort of doing the diet…..the illness is hanging in there. I’m probably still eating less than 800 cals a day because of it but that’s not going to hurt in the long run.
    Legend2cv well done on the weight loss so far, a new grandson in March, that’s lovely, I’m sure you’ll be that skinny nana you are hoping for!!!! 🙂
    So although I’m not eating the cals I should be, in my head I have officially started the diet. I took my weight and waist measurement and calculated my BMI. Not a pleasant read…so I’ve started at 16st 12lb with a waist measurement of 50 inches and a BMI of 39.2 shocking stuff! But……no more. I will turn this around and lose the weight, I need to for my self respect but also because I want to be around to see my children grow up!!!
    I’m in it for the ride…..let’s make it a good one…..wooooo hoooo!!! 🙂

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hi Traceyanne, I hope you feel better soon and can get onboard properly.
    At my biggest (that I would get on the scales for) I was 16st 10Lbs, that was 10 years ago and I lost 4 stone on Slimming World. It’s been a bit roller-coaster since then but I’ve managed to stay around 12st 10lbs for the last 5 years or so but never get much lower.
    This diet makes so much sense to me, how carbs make you store fat, and I’m sure we’ll get to our targets. I was 12st 1lb yesterday, I haven’t been that low since my early 20s. My waist is stubbornly still 36.25″, all the inch loss was off my hips & legs, but that’s where I store fat & water!
    Bit worried about tomorrow as I’m meeting a friend for lunch, I hope they have salad on the menu, not just sandwiches and jacked spuds!
    Have a good day everyone x

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Day 3. Good morning – a crushing loss of only 0.2kg this morning down to 75.7kg. However, given this is still going down and only just at the very beginning I am happy that it’s going in the right direction. I’ve kept to just under 800kcal each day, have drunk a lot of water and haven’t felt hungry. Even losing just 02.kg a day would shift a kilo a week. STAY POSITIVE! Have a great day everyone.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

I didn’t lose this morning either, I’m blaming it on the rain and hoping tomorrow will be better. It’s the end of the week weight that counts so maybe I shouldn’t weigh every day.
    AMx

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

No weight change again today, maybe the initial water loss is gone, I’m still feeling great (despite a bit of backache) and very positive. Bit worried about lunch today but people are more important and I’ll be as good as I can.
    Have a great day everyone
    AMx

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Hello all and we’ll done with loss so far. I did really well on this diet in April 2017 so hope i can join you and succeed again.
    Unfortunately, blood in urine led to tests and treatment. Feeling fighting fit again now. I am on hormone treatment to prevent breast cancer reccurence so know diet can still work JuliaV. 🙂 Kept weight off until thyroid issues led to depression before Christmas and i ate badly for several weeks. Mental state is SO important. When really low you just don’t care about yourself. Planning to do the meditation recommended.
    Started diet Monday 8th. Lost 3lbs the first week, now into my second. Hope to lose 3lb per week (or more if i can!). Good luck to you all. For me, I found planning was the key (obvious I know).

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Hello all and we’ll done with loss so far. I did really well on this diet in April 2017 so hope i can join you and succeed again.
    Unfortunately, blood in urine led to tests and treatment. Feeling fighting fit again now. I am on hormone treatment to prevent breast cancer reccurence so know diet can still work JuliaV. 🙂 Kept weight off until thyroid issues led to depression before Christmas and i ate badly for several weeks. Mental state is SO important. When really low you just don’t care about yourself. Planning to do the meditation recommended.
    Started diet Monday 8th. Lost 3lbs the first week, now into my second. Hope to lose 3lb per week (or more if i can!). Good luck to you all. For me, I found planning was the key (obvious I know).

• posted by traceyanne
    on

a challenge last night…..dinner for the children, toad in the hole and mashed potato, two of my favourite foods!!!! 🙁

But I over came the challenge and enjoyed my chicken in parma ham and some lovely green beans and spinach!

Quick question for you all, I have the recipe book and some of the recipes say to serve with…………… In these situations I’m assuming you have to add extra calories to the total as they haven’t been included? 🙂

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Yes, i would assume you have to weigh the extras and add the calories. I know I do with spicy bean burgers page 209 for e.g. I had them with cauliflower rice and veggies last week.☺

• posted by Firecrest
    on

Forgot to say it is much easier for me to follow diet as do not have children. You must have fantastic willpower traceyanne! I am in awe, don’t think I could have resisted toad in the hole and mash. Well done.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    I am starting the 800 BSD today. I did quite well last year started 1st Feb and lost 2 stone. However since then I have put some back on. I am age 58, 5’8″ tall and weigh 16st 10lb. I have two big weddings this year, one exactly 16 weeks from today (can get in two cycles of the diet by then) and another just under 24 weeks away (three cycles of the diet by then).
    If I stick to the diet properly how much weight do people think I could lose in 16 weeks by the time of the first wedding?
    Looking forward to your replies.
    Nancy x

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hello all
    Just on my way home from my lunch out and so pleased with myself, I had fresh tomato and basil soup (without the bread) as that was the best option on the carb leaden menu and even resisted the very tempting cakes. No idea of the ingredients, calories or carbs which is a bit tricky for an OCD weigher & measurer like me, but I’m very happy to have jumped my first ‘eating out’ hurdle, just hope I stay full up till dinner.

• posted by Yams1979
    on

Hello, can I join in here too please! I am ready to start in the next day or two. Have spent today browsing the 8 week bsd recipe book, and fighting a carb withdrawal battle on the couch, as I needed to wean myself before getting stuck in properly to the 800 cal for 8 weeks programme. I have decided to follow the 8 weeks of recipe plans in the back of the book to the letter, to take any decision making out of the equation!
    Am currently pretty annoyed with myself as I have gained an awful lot of weight since summer 2017, it’s been a feature of my life since having my first baby in 2001 that I have lost and gained the same 2 stone over and over again. Last time though I really worked hard and had my food and gym work all fairly close to perfect and I have just let it all slide. I’m determined to get my act together and lose a significant amount of weight permanently as I can’t keep yoyo-ing like this. I have tried everything, WW, SW, Unislim etc. but when I discovered the gym and circuit training I started unwittingly following a low carb high protein good fats diet that worked really really well for me and kept me feeling full and satisfied. I’m dreading weighing myself tbh, post Christmas and we’ve just been away in Lanzarote for a week so it’s been a beer fest as well as a carb fest 😭😭 for the last 4 weeks. I will weigh and measure in the morning though, wish me luck

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Welcome Yams1979, don’t beat yourself up about the yo-yo in, we’re only human!
    This is the first time I’ve done anything like this and I’m only a week in but I can honestly say that I haven’t been hungry (apart from once when I was tired more than hungry) and haven’t missed carbs at all. That said I am really lucky that I’m doing this with hubby and don’t have kids at home so we just don’t have any tempting foods about, it might be harder if I had to watch someone else tucking into a bowl of pasta! Good luck with it.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Good afternoon, my post from yesterday doesn’t seem to have appeared, but never mind – today’s weigh-in went well – I’m down to exactly 75kg so that’s 1.9kg since Saturday. I’m keeping to the 800 calories a day and so far haven’t found myself feeling hungry. I’m sure this has also been massively helped by the lack of alcohol. I’ve slept incredibly well the last two nights and felt more alert this morning than in a long time.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Well done Scubado, that’s brilliant.
    I still can’t get over that I’ve been at 800 calories for a week and haven’t felt hungry, long may it continue.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

How are you all getting on, have you had a good week?
    I am measuring myself once a week, when I get up on a Sunday, can’t wait to see the results tomorrow.
    I have been weighing myself each morning though and was getting a little dispondent not having lost for a couple of days, then this morning another 2lbs off, yay! I feel like dancing on the rooftops (think that might be a mixed metaphor but it’s how I feel).
    I’ll let you know about the cms tomorrow.
    Have a good day everyone!

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

I’m down to 74.2kg today, so that’s a total of 2.7kg this week which I’m delighted with. I’m not expecting the same sort of loss next week but it’s a good incentive to keep going. Also seem to have lost an inch around my waist which is particularly encouraging.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Well done ScubaDo!

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

This morning’s weigh-in was a decent 73.6kg. That’s 3.3kg, or half a stone, in eight days. Surely it can’t all be water…

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is awesome progress ScubaDo! I’m sure you’ve lost fat as well as water.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Just had beetroot falafel for lunch, they’re scrummy but I just can’t eat them all, I’m just too full up. Do I need to eat them all to get all my necessary nutrients, should I have them later or just throw them away?
    I have a purple splattered kitchen too and every utensil in the sink, at least I’ll get some exercise clearing it all up!
    I take my hat off to those with full time jobs and/or kids at home as the food preparation & weighing can take a lot of time.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Freeze them for another time, have them later if you want them, or build them into the next days menu, you can be endlessly flexible within the basic parameters of the diet. I wouldn’t force yourself to eat them all just for their nutritional value though, treat it as a mini fast if you are a little low on calories for the day and just back to normal tomorrow.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Hi, three weeks in today. Weight down to 71.1kg. That’s 5.8kg down. An interesting side-effect is that I’ve now started eating a lot more seafood, something that I’ve not been particularly keen on, but which is proving a good sort of protein. Garlic butter prawns and cod fillets with kale are proving to be a nice alternative to chicken and Quorn. It would be nice if the wet weather could disappear so I could do a little more walking.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Hi ScubaDo, we’ll done on the weight loss, glad to hear you’re enjoying the food too.
    I’m still doing well food wise and feel & look skinnier round the middle but the scales haven’t budged so far this week, hubby’s doing really well though. Weekly weigh in tomorrow so we’ll see what it says, I’ll let you know.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

I’ve lost just over a stone, with only a couple of pounds of that being in the last week, definitely slowed but still a loss is a loss. Hubby has lost 1st 5lbs, he’s come off his diabetes tablets and is keeping his blood sugar in range so far.
    We’re going away to stay with friends for the rest of the week which could prove interesting, it’s the first time I’ve been away from my kitchen scales since we started.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t panic about being away Legend2cv. I remember well the first time I went away after starting the BSD and it does feel a bit daunting, but if you stick to the BSD principles you should be fine. Remember that the calories are not as critical as the carbs, so be sure to keep those low.

Should there be any small gain, you now have to tools to be able to get rid of that again quite quickly, once you are back home and weighing/measure everything again. Most importantly though, enjoy the stay with your friends.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Thanks SunnyB, just got back from a lovely long walk with our friends and so touched they’ve gone to so much trouble to accommodate our diet, it’s going to be a fab time.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That put a big smile on my face Legend2cv. So often, those close to us don’t understand what we are doing and so offer inappropriate foods, it’s lovely when someone makes the effort to provide the foods we need. Last time we visited with friends we had chicken – fine, they had potatoes, so none of those for me and the veg? well they cooked the same amount for five people, as I would at home for the two of us …… we were staying over, so I went to bed hungry.

Glad you’re having a fab time and that you can relax and really enjoy your time with your friends.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Weight on and off again this week but what’s most noticeable is my clothes are getting baggy. Both Hubby and I have struggled with energy levels this week too, he’s upped his calories but I’m going to try to stick it out for the 8 weeks as I have a lot more fat to shift than he does, it’s just tough when even a relatively short walk makes me light headed and exhausted. Loving the food though and the fact I’m rarely hungry anymore.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

It’s really slowed down and I’ve had several plateau days over the last couple of weeks but down to 68.6kg from 76.9kg. I go away on holiday on Wednesday and my target was to get down to 70kg so I’m very happy. I’m going to keep going until I go away because, well, why spoil it all now. Although I’ve kept to 800 calories a day I’ve started to add a few more carbs to try and get my body used to them. Interestingly, I have been preparing pretty much everything from scratch, so when I bought an M&S Chicken and Bacon salad yesterday I was horrified as to how salty it was. That’ll take some getting used to.

• posted by Legend2cv
    on

Congratulations on getting to your target ScubaDo, you must be so pleased. I know what you mean about salt, I also cook from scratch and although I do season food it’s nowhere near as much as processed. We had bacon today, for the first time since starting the diet and it seemed so salty.
    Have a brilliant holiday x

Please log in or register to post a reply.