Starting the BSD 6th November, please join in and your up and downs with me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

Hi Esnecca,
    that is an amazing drop in weight, you must feel better for all that effort, and you are right about measuring every mouthful. I have now taken to weighing every mouthful and I am shocked by how inaccurate my estimates have been. I will make a great effort to get this right including more physical activity. I fasted from last night’s evening meal until my evening meal tonight and I find that I seem to manage better doing this every other day and during week one I have lost two pounds.

Have you been doing this WOE for the last 18 months, I am absolutely gobsmacked by your drop in weight, but as you are in a healthy range for your height do you still have to watch every calorie, and thanks for your insight.

• posted by Welshannie
    on

Week one done 😀
    Weight 14st 3lbs- so far lost 2lbs.
    Waist 43in and three quarters – lost 1 and a quarter from my waist.
    Blood sugar fasting 7.1 – down from 22.5
    Feeling : good

Very please with this first week results especially with my BS. And that 2 lbs lost, I can really feel a big different in my body. Goal for this week, is to sort out exercise, male sure I do 5000 steps each day, need to slowing build my fitness up after having the stroke.

My son and hubby are also doing the diet. My son lost 3 lbs and hubby put on 1! Yes you guess it, he has been very naughty… he had cake Saturday night! And let me tell you, he was grumpy 😡 yestetday. He said that he did not feel very good. Let this be a warning to you all, carbs will make you feel crap and grumpy 😡. If I just lose 1- 2 lbs per week and my BS stays low. I will be happy with that. No carbs is going to big part of my lifechanges.

Hey Juliet, sorry to hear that you not been feeling too good. Since my BS has dropped, I will now have to’listen ‘ to my body to know when I am just feeling hungry or that my BS has dropped too much for me, for example I was out shopping just before teatime and felt nauseous. Luclkly I had a handful of nuts n my bag and the feeling slow past away. Boy did I enjoy my steak that night. And did not miss the chips.

Taurusmmuk and Esnecca – Interesting thought about will power and muscles. ‘If you don’t use it, you will lose it’ I had not thought about will power in that way. Friday night was my hardest point of the week. I wanted chocolate 🍫 that night. My son said ‘ no’ and that was that! When hubby had cake on Saturday, I was strong and it did not bother me. I think it was that I felt fuller that day – had breakfast and lunch as a brunch – it is true that eggs makes you feel fuller for longer as this morning I had a blueberry and tea shake for breakfast and I am hungry again.

So here to another good everyone, please let me know how you all doing, it is a big help reading everyone high and lows…

Take care
    Love Welshannie x

• posted by Juliet
    on

Well done Welshannie – that’s a great start! Fantastic that you’re feeling so much better too and even managed to watch your hubby eat cake – the rotter! I think, no – I know, I would have struggled with that one!

I think you’re right about listening to your body and also knowing how it responds. eg. I know if I ate an egg just now – which is sorely tempting – I’d desperately want something sweet after to take the taste away, then something else sweet and before I know it I’ve blown all today’s carbs and have the prospect of salad until bedtime to keep me going through the day. And it probably wouldn’t and I’d have a disaster! All because I had an egg. Whereas – if I have an egg at lunchtime and fast until then – which is what I plan – then I’ll only have an egg because I’ll be so pleased and feeling in control that I’ve fasted all morning that I won’t be tempted to eat anything sweet after it!! Human beings are strange (or is it just me??!)

I’ve managed to lose 3lbs this first week so am really pleased and also feel so much better. The feeling of control that this gives you does help me make the right choices. That along with drinking a swimming pool’s worth of water every day!

Have a great week everyone – Monday is a lovely new start! xx

• posted by Welshannie
    on

Well done Juliet with your 3lbs.
    Do you measure your waist as well?
    I am doing mine so that I can see that the pounds are coming off around my tummy.

Welshannie x

• posted by Juliet
    on

Welshannie – thankyou – I know I should. To be perfectly frank – I can’t remember where exactly my waist was so I’m not sure where to measure! I will try and get the tape measure out though tonight and see what’s what. It does help when the pounds don’t shift but the inches do so, yes, I will try. Hope you’re having a good day!

• posted by Rebecca@SheffieldUK
    on

Started BSD 6 days ago, it hasn’t been easy, cravings have been overwhelming, but I am seeing benefit already, I am enjoying steady energy levels, the strength exercises I enjoy, the scales are showing 5lb+ loss already , I have put a real effort in preparing dinner for me and the children within the M plan principles. promised myself a treat on day 7, but my cravings seem to be lessening as the week goes on, so may pick something other than food !
    keep going
    Rebecca

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

I agree with you Juliet, it is not just that thinks humans are strange, I would say they definitely are. 🙂 My son is doing a psychology Phd, and the things that he tells me really backs this up.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi taurusmmuk, I didn’t start the BSD until August 2017, so I’m a little shy of a full year and a half on the program. I dipped a toe in at first by just cutting white carbs for a few months. I lost some weight (I was still avoiding the scale at the time so I don’t know how much exactly), maybe 20 pounds or so, but I had such a huge amount to lose that I decided to try the BSD to see if I could pick up the pace a little. The rest is history. 😀

I don’t restrict myself to 800 calories a day anymore (I tend to hover just under 1000 these days as I slowly back out of losing mode into maintenance mode), but I’m still counting and measuring everything I cook and being extremely strict with my choices when I eat out. I am now officially one of those jerks who harries servers about whether there’s sugar in the salad dressing and if I can sub the potatoes for grilled asparagus. Sorry not sorry. I embrace my low-carb fanaticism without a shred of remorse.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Juliet, to pinpoint your waist, bend over to one side and find the crease between your ribs and hips. Stick your finger in it and slide the tape measure around that point. Stand back up straight, pull the measure until it’s fitted but not super tight. Don’t suck anything in. Do be sure your posture is nice and tall though. Shoulders back, no slouching.

My waist measurement took a long time to budge, just fyi. I had lost something like 30 pounds before I saw it go down an inch.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Rebecca, I strongly recommend that you go with the non-food treat. So much of the BSD is a mental exercise and continuing to think of sugar and bread or other bad carbs as “treats” is dangerous. They’re poison, materially damaging your health with every gram. Look how wonderfully well your body has responded to the BSD. It’s because you stopped feeding it the arsenic that was slowly killing it.

Physiologically, if you keep eating bad carbs, even once a week, you will keep having cravings and keep getting hungry. The cycle of carbs spiking blood sugar which spikes insulin levels which stores fat and refuses to release the fat it has already stored has to be stopped by choking off the source of the original blood sugar spike.

Congratulations on your great results so far! Stay the course and keep your eyes on the prize.

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

Hi Esnecca,
    I take it you are in the States, me and my wife have been there many times and I know how the food is there. I can’t believe how much they serve compared to the UK. We will be in Orlando next August and we will be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and from what we know of the prices there we will probably go out onto I-drive to eat, and sometimes we order one meal and share it because the meals are so supersized. It will be hard to eat sensibly but I will give it a good go.

Anyway I am still in awe of your terrific weight loss and you amongst others on this forum inspire me to keep on the straight and narrow for this WOE.

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

I have lost 2lbs in week 1, and my fasting blood sugar came in at 5.0 this morning. This is lowest that I have recorded for 5 years. Yay. 🙂

• posted by Rebecca@SheffieldUK
    on

Does anyone else find this forum difficult to navigate? I struggle to find my posts and the replies. Thank you for the advice for those who have replied, I have seen them on my email, but can’t find them to reply. Any tips ?

It’s the end of week 1, the cravings continue to be tough. But I generally feel more energetic and have lots a staggering 6lbs. Omelette and salad for dinner tonight. I am hoping it gets easier with time.

Rebecca

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi taurusmmuk, you’re so right about American serving sizes. It is madness out here. Between the giant portions, constant potato and bread overload and hidden sugars at every turn (the maple syrup trend cannot die soon enough), even really nice restaurants barely have a single thing available for low carbers. In a country where literally 10% of the population is diagnosed diabetic, untold numbers have diabetes and don’t know it yet, and a projected 50% of the population will develop diabetes by 2050, you’d think finding a meals not laden with carbohydrates wouldn’t be the grail quest it is.

Here’s a quick tip for your Orlando adventure. When in a pinch, there is a single fast food option I’ve encountered that works with the BSD: Popeye’s Chicken. They have naked chicken tenders coated in their lovely cajun spices, no bread crumbs or batter, and a side of green beans with ham. That’s it, kids. They also happen to have the greatest biscuits (southern style, that is, not what y’all call biscuits which are cookies to us) ever made, so a drive-through order is of the essence. You don’t want to walk through those doors.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Rebecca, click on your name at the top of your post. That will take you to your profile. Click on the Replies Created tab and then on the thread title next to your name on the list of posts. That will take you to your post in the thread. You can read down to find replies and just click on the “Reply” link in the bottom right of any post to reply to it.

The cravings will subside, but you have to starve them to death. Don’t feed them or they win. Great job so far and keep it up!

• posted by bluelampshade
    on

Hello everyone, my first week is going well. I reckon i’ll be down 4 pounds tomorrow which for someone with only 18 to lose and almost 50 years old is good going.
    I’ve been out twice , stuck to gin and slim line tonic one night, and had a sensible late night snack. Had a reception event with canapes another night (i couldn’t not try the canapes as they were made by SEN pupils and I wanted to try), i ate a few, only regret the two just before I left (as they were now cold and not so nice), had a small glass of red wine, didn’t really need it but i’m learning.
    I reckon i’m probably closer to 1,000 cals a day, only counted the first two days. Mega busy at the moment so no time to count cals or exercise beyond my normal walk to work and back.
    The first day was hard, the second I knew I had a lovely meal to look forward to in the evening so that helped. After the first two days its been far easier (little grumbling hunger ). I’ve been incredibly thirsty, a bit unhappier ( i use food to stop boredom and when i need emotional boost) .

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

Hi all, I am on week 3, and I have dropped from 90.7 to 85.5 Kg on this mornings weigh-in. My blood sugar was 5.3, still very low and it pleases me immensely because I have failed at so many diets before.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone is still on here because it has been very quiet, but maybe my post will kick it back into life, waiting to hear from you all.

Kind regards, taurusmmuk, (Jim)

• posted by marianne25oct
    on

Hi Jim!

Very well done on your weight loss and fantastic blood sugar results; it must be a big incentive to know that what you’re doing is right for your body and also for keeping you on the straight and narrow!

I really won’t know whether this diet works or not for about 6 months. I can manage to lose weight very successfully and can stick to it for about 3 months then something will happen and the catastrophic thoughts take over and before I know where I am I’m right back to where I started! I’ve NEVER been able to get past the 3 month mark so it will be a big psychological barrier to overcome.

Having said all that, I am enjoying cooking BSD friendly meals and so far they’ve all tasted pretty good! For breakfast this morning I had porridge with a topping of a diced eating apple sautéed in butter and mixed spice; yummy!!! (I think this would be good with yoghurt too).

I haven’t weighed myself for nearly a week but I’m now under the 13st mark (just!) so that feels pretty good.
    Unfortunately I don’t know what my blood sugar’s doing because I haven’t got a tester. Did you have to buy yours or was it supplied by the NHS? I think I may invest in one just to keep an eye so if any fellow BSDers can suggest the brand to get I would be appreciative!

Onwards and upwards! Have a great week and let’s all keep up the good work.

Marianne x

• posted by taurusmmuk
    on

Hi Marianne,
    I bought a Code Free BG tester from Amazon about 5 years ago for about £15.00 and it had some test strips with it, but the replacement test strips are quite reasonable. My surgery wouldn’t give me a tester because I am diet controlled so I bought a tester so I could keep an eye on my BG levels.

I know what you mean about losing the plot when life gets in the way, but I feel now that I have been shown how to eat and about 80% of what I used to eat was junk and if you follow the general principles of this WOE, then I feel that even if you are not too strict it will help to keep the weight in check. And when life gets less hectic just resume a few weeks of BSD, to regain control and just try to remember the feeling of achievement, and well done for your weight loss.

Kind regards, taurusmmuk (Jim)

• posted by marianne25oct
    on

~Thanks for the BG monitor tip; it seems quite a reasonable price compared to some I’ve seen so I shall look into it.
    I had some bread today; I wasn’t meaning to but the broccoli bread I’d made a few days ago sprouted mould and a disgusting smell so it had to be ditched! Note to self; defrost from freezer as and when needed if I make it again! I won’t beat myself up about it though; I always have a week of all meals planned, so for tomorrow so I shall consult that to see what I’m eating!

Marianne x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, Marianne! You made me lol when you remarked that you had to check
    your lists to find out what’s on the menu. I’ve been doing that since 6/2016,
    and continue to this day inspite of being in maintenance. No one can ever
    accuse me of being “too spontaneous”! It seems to have worked out well
    however. I’ve shed more than 50% of myself with the BSD. Best of luck
    to you on your journey to wellness!

Allie

• posted by Maria M
    on

Having 2 children and having to work 8-hour shifts every day took its toll on my body. I lack time to go to the gym, and as years pass by, I noticed that my skin started to get a bit loose and a bit of fat on my back. So I started doing a routine of exercises for my back for a few minutes every day at home, and it even helped me reduce the belly fat!!

I feel much better with my body and my health has improved (I’m a diabetic). The exercises I do vary from day to day depending on my mood, but I usually swap between these http://ohealthyeah.com/back-fat-exercises/ . I do see results, but they aren’t what I was hoping for, so I was wondering if the BSD will help me “tighten up”.

Anyone?

• posted by Jack33
    on

Thanks for post!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported as JUNK SPAM DO not click on link

Please log in or register to post a reply.