Starting the 5:2 option tomorrow – any tips?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GillyJay
    on

Hi all, after being told by my doctor that I’m pre diabetic, I found out about the Blood Sugar Diet on line and have decided to buy the book.
    Interested in any tips on the 5:2 diet, particularly for the two ‘fast’ days. Thanks! Any help much appreciated.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I do the full 800 fast so not familiar with 5:2 except what I have read here. I would say that on the 5 days you seriously cut down on white starchy carbs, that will give your weight loss a boost. On fast days I think you stick to 500 / 600 cals so you will have to plan carefully what you are going to have on those days so they don’t come as a shock or catch you with nothing in to eat. Once you get the book you will get more idea what this is about but you might also want to buy the 5:2 book by Michael Mosley.

• posted by GillyJay
    on

Thanks for your reply Sunshine-girl, and for the advice. The fast days are a worry and I’ll need to give them some serious pre planning. I should get my books from Amazon later this week. I’ve bought the basic book and the recipe book too. Good dea to get the 5:2 book. I’m looking forward to gettting to grips with it. Thanks again!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The BSD version of the 5:2 allows 800 calories on the fast days, and your TDEE on the other 5 days, but as sunshine-girl says all days should follow the same principles as the full 800 fast diet. So low carb, no white stuff, full fat dairy and other healthy fats encouraged, particularly oily fish and olive oil. The way I typically did it was three meals plus a snack on 1600 (my ideal weight TDEE) days, and two meals no snacks on 800 days, with 16:8 intermittent fasting whenever possible, so even on three meal days often not eating until 12:00 or 1:00 in the afternoon.

Please log in or register to post a reply.