Starting Saturday 8th October 2016 – Hello everyone !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BellyBeGone
    on

Well. Tomorrow is the Big Day. I am starting the BSD. I will post my starting weight and measurements in the morning, and plan to weigh daily, at least for the first 8 weeks. I have a lot of weight to lose and imagine I will be doing this for some time to come. But I have to say reading all the posts on the forum, I am feeling very encouraged and very positive. I know from past experience, that state of mind is everything – the difference between making it, and not making it. I was successful in losing 3 stone four years ago with Weight Watchers – but it took a year to lose it ! Unfortunately I have had a tough time over the last two and a half years and have resorted to being an ’emotional eater’ again. But I am now at a turning point and the stressful situations of the last few years are (almost) dealt with.

I am a big fan of Dr MM, and like the no-nonsense science that he writes about and presents to us. I have bought the book, and also the recipe book too. I have done a meal plan for the up-coming week, cleared out my cupboards, and done a shop today using the meal plan. My scales have a new battery in them, and I’ve bought a new tape measure. All systems go !

So. I’ll be back in the morning, with my starting figures, and also from those, I can set my goals as well. Short term goals and longer term ones too. I usually find it better to set ‘mini goals’ along the way so that nothing seems ‘out of reach’.

Here’s to success !

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Welcome and good luck to you!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Bellybegone, you sound super organised which is so important for success, what do they say, fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Yes should do well. I too used a menu plan had have lost weight and reduced my blood glucose. Be as organised in the coming weeks too and keep the menu fresh and exciting. There is a thread to put on your mini goals but no reason not to put them here on your own story. Looking forward to following you.

Bon chance.

• posted by Avila
    on

Prep is so important – I was super organised to start but found myself going more flexible once in the rythym – I put that down to the planning that meant I had meal ideas in my head and the right kind of stock in the fridge.

You can do it.

• posted by BellyBeGone
    on

Thanks for the words of encouragement – I think the planning will definitely help, and it suits my personality. I agree with you Avila, that hopefully once into the rhythm of it all and with a a well-stocked fridge, I can experiment more with other recipes. I even had a trial run this evening with the Pork in Mustard Sauce – and for someone who doesn’t even like mustard, I can say that it was delicious ! I used wholegrain mustard and a slightly smaller amount than the recipe said, just in case it was too strong, but it was delicious. That’s a good start.

Thank you for the ‘bon chance’ sunshine-girl, and well done on your weight loss and blood glucose results.

Onwards and upwards !

• posted by Tapatch
    on

Dear BBG
    I wish you the best. I am starting on Monday the 10th as I have a lot on this weekend and I need to make sure I am properly stocked up, planning menus, activity, and getting my brain right. The plan here for me is to do the 8 weeks; it seems a huge mountain to climb so I will take it hour by hour, then day by day.

I did what I have never done before and that is told everyone at work today in the staff meeting that Monday is D-Day. They are pretty good about non-sabotage. I also have a work buddy who has had weight loss surgery and part of her preparation was to go very low cal, low carb so she promises to share her best recipes etc. and be there for me. That is one route I could not go on, but it seems to have worked for her. It was not without a lot of set backs and suffering, though.

I will be following your progress, and I promise to check in from time to time with mine, if I have any progress that is! I won’t wish you good luck, but I do wish you godspeed on your journey.

• posted by BellyBeGone
    on

Good morning one and all.

Well, here goes with the not-so-pretty vital statistics:

Height: 5 ft 2 inches (short)
    Weight: 14st 6 lbs (heavy)
    Fasting Blood Glucose: 4.9 (good news – I am not prediabetic)
    BMI: 36.9 (bad news – I am officially obese)
    Waist measurement: 42 inches (I am definitely ‘rotund’)
    Target loss: 73lb

As for setting a target, I have looked at the weight ranges on NHS BMI page, and also remembered way back into the dim and distant past, of what weight I have been happy/comfortable at. So my long term goal is 9st 3lb.

With regards to my mini-goals, I think aiming for a stone and a half loss in my first eight weeks is realistic. if I am honest, I would like it to be more than that, based on other people’s results. But let’s not go crazy, and set myself up for failure. So a realistic mini goal of 21lbs weight loss for the first eight weeks. But I’ll be shouting from the roof tops if I can beat that !

Good luck Tapatch for your start day on Monday, wishing you lots of good luck and a positive spirit. Telling people at work is a great idea – it’s also working out were your ‘weak-spots’ may be, and dealing with them before you get to them. If yours is at work, then warning/telling people is great. For me, it is the un-planned binge, so planning my meals and having no ‘contra-band’ in the cupboards/house should help me succeed.

I’ve just had a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon – I found the 50g recommended in the book was a little too much for me, because it is such a strong taste, so a smaller amount was just right and meant fewer calories to count for that meal. A nice weekend breakfast – I won’t be eating like that every morning !

Right – off to go and walk those dogs, and go a bit further than normal to get my step count up.

Have a lovely Saturday, everyone BBG xx

• posted by BellyBeGone
    on

Monday mornings aren’t normally the most joyous time for most of us – but today, well, yes. Joyous !! After a mere 48 hours following the plan (prefer that word to diet), I have already lost 3 and a half pounds . I am a very happy bunny. I know the weight loss is usually fairly dramatic in week 1 – but I don’t care. The large amount I need to lose has been such a daunting problem for quite a while now, so to think that it can come off at this rate, as opposed to the one and a half pound to two pounds a week that Weight Watchers approve of is fantastic.

I will be looking forward to my ‘proper’ week 1 weigh-in on Saturday morning.

And no hunger pangs – would have liked something sweet as I was sitting watching Strictly on Saturday night – but that was more habit rather than actual hunger.

The halloumi with green beans and parmesan I had for lunch yesterday was gorgeous. I am trying the recipe for cauliflower cheese tonight. My cooking is improving no end !

Have a lovely week x

Please log in or register to post a reply.