Starting new life today!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kiss70
    on

Hi all,

Confirmed diabetes mark 2 last week. Starting the full 800cal 8 week diet today. BS reading high at 15.8 but docs agreed I can do this (no meds yet) and review at 4weeks.

Seems like you’ve all enjoyed some decent success. Question I have for you is; have you seen substantial reduction in your glucose levels as you lose weight? I would be interested to know.

All a bit scary and new for me so would appreciate any advice. By the way I’m 46 male and 18stone with high bp too. Will be hitting swimming and rowing machine too

Good luck all

Kiss70

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

It certainly worked (and is working) for me. I was in the same boat as you but agreed a 12 week “stay of execution” on meds If the 15.8 was a HBA1C test then your starting point was a bit higher than mine but my weight was a bit more than yours!, I’m not au fait with your measures but my HBA1C was 67mmol/mol when I started and was 35 at the last count (normal is below 42).

I got back to normal blood sugar, BP and cholesterol levels in about four months, as well as losing just under six stone and still drifting downwards.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

My original diagnosis was 14.2 and I was not given any alternative but medications which soon led to insulin as the meds made me very ill. Good for your doctor for giving you this chance. Although I was not running at 14.2 when I started this diet I was 8.2 and am now 5.4 after 8 months. Do it properly and you will see results very quickly but long term results take longer. If you are newly diagnosed you might be able to get things down fairly quickly. Good luck.

• posted by Kiss70
    on

Dear sunshine girl,
    Thank you for a reply you made 3 years ago to my newbie post. I’m afraid I never came back and have tried and failed the diet many times over the 3 years. However, the Covid lockdown has been good to me and has removed me from my usual working lifestyle in financial services that involves entertaining clients with alcohol and heavy carb lunches. I’m now 15stone 5lbs down from 18st 3 years ago. My bp is 120/83. I have been trying to follow the BSD over the last 4 weeks or so but struggle to hit 800cals. I’m averaging 1300 or so driven by the odd carb binge – sweets/cake buttered toast etc. For the most part I’m cutting carbs right down in an almost Atkins style diet. My bg is averaging around 7-8 mmol/l so still a way to go and not brave enough to go back to my doc yet.
    I was wondering what you folk online are averaging in terms of calorie days and how you avoid the dreaded (usually evening for me) carb binges.
    Good luck to all and so sorry I’ve taken so long to reply to your post. I’m sticking around this time!
    Cheers

• posted by Verano
    on

Kiss70 I think the secret is keeping carbs low. I’m not sure that the main emphasis should be on weight ‘per se’.
    I started eating low carb just over 4 years ago. My BS was never very high, close to 7 and around 6.4 with metformin. I found that my BS came down quite quickly as my weight dropped. I started gaining again but I stayed low carb and my BS is still stable. My last HbA1c, without medication, was 5.1. I do random finger pricks and I’m usually around mid 5s. So in my experience, and it is only my experience, staying away from refined carbs seems to be the most important factor in putting T2 into remission.
    Avoiding carb binges ….. don’t keep the stuff in the house!!! Refined carbs really are addictive so you just have to go ‘cold turkey’. I enjoy a few squares of 90% chocolate but if that’s not appealing start with 70%. Try a few nuts or a piece of cheese if you fancy a nibble. The need for carbs will pass in time. There is a thread ‘Take a look at This’ with loads of great information, lots of articles, videos and references to good books.
    Enjoy you journey and don’t give up giving up the carbs!

Please log in or register to post a reply.