STARTING FAST 800 – 10TH MARCH

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shazski
    on

Myself and my hubby are starting the Fast 800 diet tomorrow, after reading the 8-week blood sugar diet, which was a real eye opener.

I am a severe carb addict (according to the test!), and I have to say I am a little nervous about this challenge. I have been a yo-yo dieter for as long as I can remember (I’m 48), but always fall back into the same old habits. After reading this book, it gave me a real shake up as I do not want to end up with diabetes, which is most definitely the way I am heading. I know it’s going to be hard, but no pain no gain and I believe it’s now or never.

I have read through some of the comments, and would not usually make comments or post anything, but I feel I will need encouragement along the way. My hubby is like a machine, once he gets focused he stays focused. Me on the other hand is a different ball game. I am great at starting things, but never seem to stick to anything as I get bored or lose interest. However this is one thing in my life that I do not intend to fail at, but you may see me on here quite frequently for support.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi shazski, you are similar to my daughter who has just started the Fast800 a week ago. You will find the results are so good that you will be motivated to continue. Daughter has lost 3kg in week one and now loves the diet I have been telling her about for the last 3 years. I am on it for continued diabetes blood glucose control but still manage to lose weight when I have an occasion coming up or if I put on a couple of pounds now and then. If you cant keep yourself focused then you need to get hubby to spur you on. Good luck.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome shazski – my advice is baby steps. For now, try not to think about this long term, just concentrate on what you are doing now – so, be mindful of reaching for that biscuit/chocolate/cake/sandwich, or whatever and ask yourself if you really need it.
    S-G is right, the results will help to motivate you and hopefully, as you are doing this together, your OH will offer support as well. You will find your palate changes and the foods you are currently addicted too, will eventually seem much less appealing.
    Please consider joining the weekly thread – One Week at a Time – as that one has folks at various stages on the BSD and they love to share experiences and knowledge and are very supportive. A new one kicks off every Tuesday, but feel free to join at anytime, the current one is always near the top of the recent forum posts. You’ll get a warm welcome on any thread, so just tag on to any that appeals – the community here is very welcoming and inclusive.
    Hope to read about your progress and look forward to celebrating your successes.

• posted by shazski
    on

Thank you so very much sunshine-girl and SunnyB, your kind words are very motivating. I will definitely take a look at One Week at a Time. I look forward to staying focused and sharing my success 😁 xx

• posted by Sea_shells89
    on

Hi Shazski,
    I am also starting tomorrow and agree some encouragement/ support would be helpful! I have a very sweet tooth and whilst I exercise and am a size 10, I feel I need to follow the diet to reduce my risk of diabetes.

I am nervous about exercising and eating so little as I suffer hemiplegic migraines, but I am hopeful that this forum may help me in times of weakness!

Look forward to speaking again once started!

Good luck for tomorrow!

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi seashells89,
    Thank you for your message. Good luck also tomorrow. Look forward to hearing how you get on. X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello seashells and shazski, and welcome to the community! An excellent thread to follow is the “One
    Week at a Time” thread, because it is a busy and lively one, where you will have an opportunity to meet very
    seasoned BSDers, as well as newcomers just startin9 out. There is a steep learnin9 curve associated with
    all new thin9s, and the fastest way to 9et up to speed is to jump in with both feet. It 9ives us an opportunity
    to 9et to know you, and I 9uarantee that you will be made very welcome πŸ™‚ Whatever your 9oals, there will
    be someone around that has already “been there”. Please join us, and you will become an accomplished
    BSDer in no time. Promise!!!

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Shazski! Welcome to the happy band of travellers πŸ™‚ No judgements here . . . No negativity either! Just sharing, encouragement and support!!! Doubt there will be ANYTHING much you need to know nor experience that SOMEONE here hasnt had, experienced nor knows about! Im eager to offer some “Duckie” suggestions/actions – (which helped/worked to build a framework for me 8 months ago) . . . to maybe be considered at your starting position: πŸ™‚ The old K.I.S.S. principle πŸ™‚
    *Remove the word “DIET” from vocab, and replace with “way of eating” . . . quite often seen here as WoE. Yes this is a “diet” but not in the sense of other “diets”. (e.g: Cows have a diet of grass. . .? Spiders have a diet of insects . . .?) Once food intake items and body adjustments and “fuel supplies” have been rearranged . . . this is a WoE for life πŸ™‚ Consider it as switching from petrol to diesel!!!)
    * Weight terminology . . . here, we do (our best not to) lose, or drop or say “it disappeared” . . . because we “mentally” think of finding, picking up or it miraculously reappearing! NO!!! It is discarded!!!
    *Remember no disappointment!!! Its been decades the way life and food intake is now . . . it may take months to change totally . . . but changes will be noticed in DAYS!!! Thats exciting!!!
    *Go through the food lists recommended as BSD friendly. Select those YOU like. Check them for carb and cal counts.
    *Go through the pantry and refrigerator to remove the obvious temptations. Then set aside a few hours to check labels of other pantry pals and scrutinise labels closely for unexpected hidden carbs!!! (This will be a revelation!!!) Gather these up and (if like me you cant stand the thought of such waste!!!) – donate to local soup kitchen or the like.
    *Remember above ground vege vs below ground . . . as a yardstick . . . BUT there are a few exceptions.
    Stirfries will become your friends πŸ™‚ (If you are starving . . . rough chop and toss all in a frying pan, add spices and dinner is served . . .!) Bacon and eggs – mushrooms and bacon – maybe yoghurt where we once had cereal πŸ™‚ I make mini quiches with mince beef casings . . . quick with salad or vege . . . cold or warmed πŸ™‚
    *Create the shopping list for commencing your changes πŸ™‚ My food bills have plummeted after initial set up πŸ™‚ Consider, certain oils, mustard seeds, chilli flakes, ginger, garlic, coconut, sesame seeds, chia etc etc, can change the flavour of the same basic meal πŸ™‚
    *Dont get too hung up adding or calculating . . . get rough idea of amounts and numbers to start . . then refine as required. *ACCEPT personal changes – and what your body is delivering . . . dont expect what happens to “everyone else” . . . to be your norm πŸ™‚ We are all different and individually apply the rules differently πŸ™‚ Later on . . . when you get into step with food and body . . . expand your horizons
    *Check for meal alternatives you may not have previously considered. Be adventurous and your body will love you for the culinary freedom we once only dreamed of.
    Do hope some of this resonates as ideas to fit your formula and is helpful! All the VERY BEST to you and yours on this new chapter of your loves!!! Quack Quack

• posted by On a mission
    on

Hi
    I started last week and so far so good. I’m a lot like yourself, 46 and need to shift 2 stone. Blood sugar etc all fine but won’t be if I don’t make changes now. I’ve tried normal diets and really struggled to stay motivated because I’m battling middle age and I’m perimenopausal, asare most women our age. However, I have to say the rapid weight loss is really motivating me to stick with this. I’m also really enjoying the food. My top tips are drink loads of water and if I feel hungry peppermint and liquorice tea really helps. so good luck, we can do this.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Good luck on your first day.

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi alliecat, WoodDuckie and On a Mission. Great words or encouragement, thank you.

Day 1 of my new way of life! We have weighed in, done our fasting blood glucose (both showing prediabetic), measured, taken photo’s and done some exercises. I am fully motivated, as I am determined to return my blood sugar levels to a normal range, and shift some of this excess baggage! Everything else that comes with it will be a bonus😊

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Shazski

If it’s ok with you, I’m going to join you…

I have tried a few times to get going on this WoE but other things have got in the way.

But now, I have a new job and have joined the council gym for swimming at first and the gym and swim.

I weigh around 13 stones 7lb at 5’1″ I am in the obese category and have been told my cholesterol is high at 6 something.

Good luck!

Lucy

• posted by Squidge
    on

Shazski, Sea shells and On a mission – you can do this!

As Sunny B says, it’s important to be mindful. The times I’ve fallen off the wagon haven’t been down to true hunger or cravings, but to not paying attention, not planning and not making that little bit more effort to find low carb foods instead of grabbing the easily available sandwiches etc.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Shazski, Sea shells and On a mission – Hello .
    I only started last week but the support here is really helping. I’m
    Enjoying the food but it’s taking me quite a lot more preparation than before. Like the others say temptation is easier to avoid if you’ve plannned what you’re going to eat. I’ve started roughly planning my meals either the day before or first thing. I’m using the MyFitnessPal app to log my meals. The first couple of days it seemed quite time consuming but as you go along it gets faster and easier. I’m sure I wasn’t drinking enough water to begin with, even though I thought it was, so I’m using a drinking bottle to keep an eye on that. I’m not sure why it’s important to drink more when you’re on a diet?
    I love food and up until my mid 40s was lucky to be able to eat lots with little effect. I’m now post menopause and that’s definitely not the case. I’ve always eaten really healthy meals but lots of crap between meals( crisps biscuits and the like).
    Knowing my own weaknesses has helped me avoid temptation.
    The diet doctor website has some really easily understood information about carbs
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/visual-guides

The carb content of some foods healthy foods was quite surprising.

Anyway, good luck to you all

• posted by Sea_shells89
    on

Nice to meet you all, Squidge, LucyAB, Sunshine_girl, on a mission, Aliecat and skipping through the tulips – thanks for the tips, I am also using Myfitnesspal! I think it’s a really good way to be more mindful.

Has anyone tried the drinking/increasing uptake of vinegar as described in the recipe book?

All food prepped for tomorrow (fingers crossed: I stay mentally strong!)

Hope today went well,
    πŸ™‚

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi everyone πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ

LucyAB – Great to have you join me…sounds like it’s the perfect time for you. Good luck 🀞

Squidge – Thank you 😁

Skipping through the tulips – It’s wonderful the amount of support that is on here. You’re absolutely right, preparation is the key, I’ve planned my food for the week. As the saying goes ‘fail to prepare, prepare to fail’ Thanks for the diet doctor link, I will definitely take a look.

I’m feeling very hungry now so I’m off to bed. Night everyone and good luck for tomorrow 😴

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, lovely people! Wishing you all a fabulous week πŸ™‚ These apps are indispensible. I think fruit was the big shock
    for me. The tropical ones are a real carb bomb, aren’t they?!

Welcome back, Lucy! Your name looked familiar…and I see that you were onboard in 2017 and 2018. Fingers
    crossed that the third time is “the charm”. All the support you might need is right here, so best of luck to you πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Sea_shells89
    on

How was everyone’s day?

I was ok until I got to exercise! Don’t think my snack of cucumber and tomatoes quite cut it – need to replace with a boiled egg or tinned tuna I think!

Just debating breakfast for tomorrow!
    πŸ™‚

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well 😁

Struggled today as I haven’t felt well. I’ve had a really thumping head all day, and felt weak and dizzy. I’ve been constantly drinking water, so I’m sure I’m not dehydrated. I have ME so apart from the shock to my body, I think its probably just my body adjusting to my new eating plan, and a bit of my condition. I’ve stuck to it, but have really been craving something sweet 🍰πŸͺ🍫🍨

Well done Sea_shells89 for exercising, especially after you cucumber and tomatoes feast! Egg and tuna sounds much nicer 😁 I did exercise yesterday, but couldn’t manage it today.

Is there anything nice that we can have that is sweet, but low in carbs and cals?

• posted by Sea_shells89
    on

Sorry to hear you are under the weather @shazski – hopefully the headache disappears soon – maybe try a magnesium supplement? Well done for sticking with it – super hard when you feel under the weather!

Hmm, not sure on the sweet treats – there are a few in the recipe book: Pear and brazil nut chocolate brownies, pears are also mentioned alot! I used to have two Medijool dates when I wanted a sugar hit – very sweet but not completely terrible! Or homemade popcorn?

Good luck for tomorrow!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Shazki, sorry you have been feeling rough. I cannot sing the praises loud enough of the hot raspberries/cold yoghurt combo. Just say 8 raspberries, zapped in microwave (I do 30 secs at 800), add full fat yoghurt and swirl through. It is the best invention since sliced bread which obvs we no longer want (and could have made CC a fortune if patentable…). I also have found that a few (say four) pecans broken into small pieces and eaten slowly hit the sweet point and also very tasty.

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Checking in for the week – 158.6, a decrease of a little less than three pounds… So rolling forward towards my next goal of 155. I’ve been doing my best to exercise regularly and eat on plan. Also, splurged and bought some new dresses since all my others are too big. They are lovely and snug, perfect for slimming into. 🧑 hello to all and apologies for not being active last week, I’m okay and doing my best to be positive.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Amz ! Good to see you and glad you are fast heading towards your goal.We never doubt your ability to get back on track. Good on you for buying some more smaller dresses .
    Stay positive Amz and come and chat to us on the new weekly Thread starting 12th March. We’ve been watching out for your posts xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh six turkeys…just like a lawyer to consider if something might be patentable! πŸ™‚

We finally got the new weekly thread operational, Amz. Please hop over and join us there! You are just doing
    GREAT!

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Everyone

I have been doing well this time – trying to keep within the calories and not being tempted by anything or anyone. I’m drinking plenty of water for once and the odd cup of decaf tea with a splash of unsweetened oat milk.
    I have weighed myself and I’ve gone from approx 13s 8 to 13s4 and 13s3 then back up to 13s5. I think that I am not going to weigh myself very often as this demoralises me!
    I am using mfp to calculate things and I hover between 35 and 50 carbs and within range of fats and protein.
    (sorry to the men out there…) Do you think this is because I am perimenopausal? Or should I be stricter on carbs?. I find that if I reduce carbs then I struggle to reach the 800 calories.

Regarding exercise.. I have got as far as getting my costume on a preparing to go to realising that once I get to the pool, the adult swim time (8-9am) will have gone! It’s a start. I think i’ll be better going 9-10pm.

How is everyone else doing?

Take care,
    Lucy

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi Lucy,

I find that weighing myself every day can be disheartening, so understand how you feel. I am usually a weigh every day person, but I think on this diet it would be advisable to weigh every week, as your body can fluctuate with the amount of water it is holding. I am only on day 4, and I keep looking at the scales but I do not want to be disappointed, so I am holding off until Sunday morning. I started at 13st 5ΒΎlb, so we are similar weights. Try and keep positive…you seem to be doing everything right πŸ‘

I am sure you feel the way I do about myself, and we do not want to feel like this anymore. This is a great time to do these 8 weeks, as the summer is coming, and we will certainly feel better with our weight losses. I try and imagine the feeling again when I lost a good amount of weight before, that nice feeling of your clothes becoming too big 😊 Hang in there, I am right by your side x

• posted by shazski
    on

Thank you Seashells89 and sixturkeys, for your kind words. I am feeling much better now, so I think I’m over the worst.

Sounds great the yogurt and raspberries, I’ll give that a try. As for chocolate brownies….I am salivating!! Mmmmm πŸ˜‹

Good luck to everyone else x

• posted by Sea_shells89
    on

Hey everyone,

What have people eaten today? Is anyone using the recipe book? I’m about to make the cod and chorizo for dinner!
    Sixturkeys – I will definitely give the raspberries and yoghurt combo a go!
    Shazski – glad you are feeling better!

Lucy – could you try replacing some carbs with protein – such as tuna, nuts or cottage cheese?

I’ve been having a craving bread day, but I’m hoping tomorrow will be better!

πŸ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

I would replace the carbs with healthy, plant based fats, Lucy. Do you use avocado, olive oil, seeds and nuts?
    These keep us satiated, and excess protein gets stored as fat much the way that carbs do. I’d watch those protein
    numbers carefully. Wishing you a wonderful journey to optimal health. The secrets are all here, so stay with us πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Stevepoker28
    on

Hi All

I hope you don’t mind but I’d like to join as I started on the 10th March and this is nearly the end of my first week. Like a lot of people I was inspired by Michael’s Fast 800 book and have been watching anything and everything on Youtube that mentions it. It’s been a tough week and I still have a headache despite drinking a minimum of 2litres of water every day. That said the results have been outstanding. I’ve lost 4kgs in a week, my gut has reduced from 125cm to 121cm and my blood sugar has already dropped from 7 mmol/L to 6.5mmol/L. The first few days like everyone were really tough, before starting I was slipping into really bad habits and found myself eating pies, pasta, late night biscuits, cheese and lots and lots of bread. Something had to change but this was pretty full on and it was hard to suddenly go to 800 calories, dramatically reduce carbs and not eat for a minimum of 12 hours over night. As an insomniac I regularly find myself at 2 or 3am watching TV and feeling VERY hungry (Any tips?)

It is cathartic to share so thanks for listening. This weekend will be a challenge without the distraction of work but good luck to everyone on this journey, my thoughts go out to everyone who embarks on this.

Steve

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Steve! Welcome and GOOD LUCK! What a great start youve made and yes it is cathartic to share πŸ™‚ Good news is . . . *Youve discovered the WoE which will change your life . . . *made a start, * have seen the results are there for the taking *found new friends also on the train . . . and understand patience will be required while adjustments take place πŸ™‚ Remember its already (around) 9 weeks since Christmas so the initial 8 of BSD wont take long!!! So early on with body adjustments – if it isnt coping and rebelling . . . maybe dont ask your body to cope with long fasts just yet . . . finish eating at 6/7/8 start at 6/7/8 may well be a stretch at the beginning . . . so maybe try 8-6 . . .? or some water when waking . . . or a coffee . . . just to stretch the hours if you feel the need. As for snacks . . . check out nuts – (they vary greatly in carbs so . . . be careful!) – also check some dips . . . (some Ive found have few carbs in 1/2 a tub so GREAT to feel like one is “being naughty!!!) Eat them with Pork Krisps . . . pork rind pieces that look like they are airdried and YUMMM – but be careful you dont become addicted. ALSO having hard boiled eggs on hand ALL the time . . . is a great safety net. Maybe some cheese . . . avocado . . . a “good fat” . . . helps . . . as do spices . . . chilli flakes, curry powder, black pepper. However, be careful, it can be easy to have some of each and overdo other counts so please dont have them all at once πŸ™‚ Please keep sharing and if anything is confusing or daunting someone will be here to help πŸ™‚ Im 9 months into my new way of life and boy was it worth the change πŸ™‚ Still have the occasional headache, still have the occasional craving . . . but distractions and timewasting hobbies help πŸ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by Barbara k
    on

Hi Steve try making the gut healing chicken broth that’s in the fast 800 book it is virtually 0 calories and is very tasty and soothing

• posted by shazski
    on

Hi Steve,

Well done you! πŸ‘ Yes it is hard, but worth it.

Like yourself, I am drinking over 2 litres of water a day, but still have the headaches. Maybe it’s a combination of this diet and caffeine withdrawal. If you decide to quit caffeine, the withdrawal symptoms can start anywhere from 12 to 20 hours after your last cup of tea/coffee and can peak at 2 days and will probably go on for as long as a week. I was having about 8-10 cups a day, down to zero! Week 2 should hopefully be better for you, and I’m sure the headaches will subside.

Does anyone have the recipe for the gut healing chicken broth, as I only have the 8-week blood sugar diet book (which I have lent out)? It sounds great and I cannot seem to find it in the recipes.

First weigh in tomorrow morning πŸ˜€

Good luck to everyone else πŸ˜€

• posted by Esther78
    on

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone as I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks in preparation to get started and it has been so helpful and inspiring.

Based on everything I read, I ate β€˜cleanly’ for two weeks leading up to reducing calories to 800 to try and prevent side effects of Ketosis. Started Monday and have felt absolutely fine. Did a Ketostix yest and it was dark purple which is great (if these are reliable?). Sticking to 30g or under of carbs.

Bit of background. I don’t have diabetes but could see myself heading that way as I get older. I am 40 and co-own a very stressful business. I am a wife and mother to a very supportive husband and two adorable and totally annoying teens ha ha. High cortisol levels= carb and sugar cravings and I am tired of going through the cycle of slimming down and then putting it all back on. I am working on the mental health aspect of why I β€˜sabitage’ My hard work and results each time to try and help break this cycle too. Being strong is important to me now rather than just slim so I am maintaining some heavy lifting movements throughout this mixed with steady state cardio for fat burning.

I won’t get weighed until Monday but something has definitely happened as my boobs have halved in size (Last place I wanted the fat to go from ha ha), clothes feel a bit better and I’m not pulling my jumper out when I sit down to cover my belly as much.

I would like to lose 28lbs but maintain muscle mass. I have stuck to the same-ish food this week just to get started but when I find my feet I will give some of the great recipes a go. I got a good quality protein powder to use and this has been helpful to have. Plus a huge bonus is I get to have my most favourite thing of all time which is almond butter. I have incorporated this in my evening meal as it is very satiating and makes me feel happy lol.

I have a 14:10 fasting window at the minute. Anyone seen any particular benefit to changing this to 16:8?

Will post updates or anything that’s been helpful.

Esther x

• posted by Barbara k
    on

Gut healing broth recipe
    3tbs olive oil
    4 celery stalks chopped
    2small onions diced
    2 leeks trimmed
    1 clove garlic
    2 carrots chopped
    1kg chicken wings
    1 tbs cider vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    1 bouquet garni
    Handful parsley stalks
    6-8 peppercorns
    Heat oil in pan with a lid, sautΓ© celery,leek,onions for 5-7 mins.Add garlic carrots, chicken,cider vinegar,bay ,leaves and bouquet garni. Add 2 litres water and bring to gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours to extract nutrients from bones. Check progress and top up with water if necessary. Pour stock through sieve. Ladle intocontainers store in fridge up to 5 days or freeze.
    I left out the bay and bouquet garni and it was fine.
    Enjoy x

• posted by shazski
    on

Thank you Barbara K, much appreciated x

• posted by Stevepoker28
    on

Thanks for the kind words and love the recipe, I will make a batch now. I am drinking 2-3 cups of black coffee every day so I don’t think its caffeine withdrawal. I think the water is helping so I shall persevere.

I invested in a great spiralizer which I have been using and enjoying the courgettes instead of pasta.

What are peoples thoughts on Diet Coke?

Steve

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Don’t forget that pain killers can be used for headaches. As you are drinking lots of water try a small pinch of sea salt to balance the electrolytes.

It is best to avoid all diet drinks (in the same way asavoiding β€œdiet” yoghurts and foods) as they generally contain sweeteners which makes your body think sugar is on the way and raises insulin levels making fat loss nigh on impossible. If it’s an occasional tipple then I wouldn’t worry, you have to live a little πŸ˜€ but if it’s a regular thing I would look for alternatives. I personally don’t like them which I’m happy about as I need to look after my bones and the phosphates in some of these drinks leeches the goodness out of them.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hello to all!

Well, I’m doing really well on the food front – just about managing to keep under 40 g carbs and eating most of the calories.
    What I have found is since I started, I have not been β€˜hoovering’ food all the time and one day actually forgot to eat the evening meal! Very unlike me!
    Must be that I’m not longer having wild fluctuations in energy and blood sugars. I’m not diabetic but my body must have been acting like one
    I’m managing to force water down me interspersed with black decaf coffee and decaf tea with splash of milk
    Ooh someone mentioned cottage cheese – I haven’t eaten that since the hip and thigh diet many moons ago and overdosed on it. Is it best to have full fat version?
    I’m now 13 stones and hopefully on the downward trend. Not sure of my start weigh but the Gp has a recent log of it.
    Well done everyone and let’s carry on with this way if eating!!!!!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Shazski and Steve! 9 months on Im still tweaking, adjusting, learning and supporting my ever changing body and its (sometimes demanding!!!) – dietary needs πŸ™‚ Read somewhere here from (at least one of) the “old-timers” . . . (hmm . . . no . . . sounds better if I refer to them all as . . .”Ground breaking self-investigatory statistical food analysts and researchers” . . .) – with such a large quantity of water being flushed through we also eliminate other things . . . including electrolytes and body salts. While the headaches can/may be indicative of carb withdrawals or momentary physical blips like we all get from time to time for a variety of everyday reasons . . . such may also be minor magnesium and salt deficiencies. Some have added a magnesium supplement – (or extra food with the mineral) – maybe a few olives may fill the bill . . .? or a little salt to their cooking and found relief πŸ™‚ Hope this has been remembered accurately and helps. Quack! Quack!

• posted by Stevepoker28
    on

Thanks WoodDuckie, I will try salt in my food and continue with the water. Had a massive lapse last night and paid for it on the scales this morning. I am determined not to let it throw me off course but today is a very rainy wet day here in Sydney and there is not much to do so boredom is our worst enemy. I will research my two meals today and try and keep under the 800 calories.

Thanks for all your support

Steve

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Glad to help! Where in Sydney? I left there almost 13 years ago now . . . Wet overcast and BEAUTIFUL down here today in Southern Highlands – semi rural (near Mittagong!) πŸ™‚ For boredom relief . . . maybe get a jigsaw from charity shop – get a “model” from Hobbyco to build . . . join Words with Friends or online games . . . I can spend HOURS exercising my brain and the time/issues gets chewed up/delayed – whatever Im dealing with at the time πŸ™‚ Maybe create a hobby – something you are good at and make Christmas/birthday gifts for friends and family. If you have space, plant some bulbs or annuals πŸ™‚ If not, make a pot garden with herbs, a lavender bush – tomatoes, rhubarb . . . ANYTHING to create diversions for you and the energy now being created and needing release. πŸ™‚ Whatever it is it doesnt have to be for life . . . just for getting through “the now” – then ongoing if you want (of course) πŸ™‚ In my early weeks and stages of “flux” – irritation, newfound energy and boredom, unable to concentrate etc., I scoured the bathroom, laundry and kitchen . . . emptied cupboards, storage areas – sorted and repacked, discarded, donated etc., the linen press . . . sewing box, wardrobe . . . pantry. Vacuumed ceiling to floor, created Christmas card mailing list . . . wrote up a new address book . . . sorted the bookcase . . . crocheted knee rugs for Ronald McDonald house, knitted for the Natal Care Unit at local hospital . . . (tired now just thinking of it all BUT – bonus is Im happier with my neat(er), clean(er), tidy-(er) “nest” than at any time in the past 12 years. SO . . . long and short of it is . . . Ive found this is a mental shedding as well as of ill health, weight and beliefs πŸ™‚ Its like a new found freedom and it os there for you too after a few hurdles πŸ™‚ I sense you are a little stubborn and wont be swayed or give up, and adventuresome! – to find out exactly what awaits so GOOD LUCK! Please keep posting πŸ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

WoodDuckie, I do love reading your posts! Just had a little air pom pom session to The Archies “Sugar Sugar”! And have two kitchen drawers on list to sort out.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Duckie is correct. – When we eat carbs our bodies store fluid, when we cut out the carbs and our bodies release the fluid our kidneys also release electrolytes. – Its this that causes carb flu. – Adding salt to our diets helps balance out the system.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you for confirming what I thought Id remembered JGwen πŸ™‚ Much appreciated πŸ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you 6turkeys!!!! Ive not done my pom pom routines for a few days . . . perhaps THATS why Im a little offkey at the moment πŸ™‚ Sure did sleep a little better last night though . . . with having changed the woven cotton blanket for a woollen one πŸ™‚ So everyone . . .? 10am Monday . . . teatowels handtowels pom poms if you have them (real or imagined!!) – and song of the day . . .? How about RESPECT!!! and lets get our hips moooov . . . . ing!!! awwww a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!! and maybe follow up with Proud Mary . . . That should get the week underway with some FEEL GOOD old time classic favourites! Quack! Quack!

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi again,

Hope I’m not boring anyone!

I an just posting a lot to keep myself in check…

Well, even if I do say so myself, I’m doing AMAZINGLY well!

Weekends are notoriously my worst time for snacking and caving in to rubbish. Well not this weekend!

I have been well behaved and actually enjoying my food and getting a bit of a buzz from keeping on track.

I usually am beating myself up by now after eating the wrong things yet again but hopefully I have turned the corner now. I’m not going to stop TIL I’ve got down to my ultimate goal of 8-8.5 stones. Having said that, I am realistic and have made my first goal at 9.5 stones which is just over the top end of my ideal weight being 5’1” short!

I hope all of you are getting on well too x

Good luck x

Lucy

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m smiling and clapping, Lucy! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

doesn’t bore me at all. It is really telling to read “I have been well behaved and actually enjoying my food” – as if that should not be the norm. I was amazed and appalled to read that in 1980 in the US there was no reported case of teenage onset T2 – and now in the 100,000s. We all might be contributing to the health of future generations here with our own experience!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Woodduckie, I’m shaking my woolie hats to Ms Franklin. Loving it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.