Starting BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Bathonian

Cron-o-meter is a website you can join to log in calories etc. It computes nutrients from your daily diary.

Good luck!

Bigeater

• posted by Merry90
    on

Congratulations on your weightless bathonian and SarahP. I have also lost 2 kg this week so very pleased too..i haven’t re-measured myself yet though as I don’t feel like I have lost but o feel inspired too now :). I had the salmon and egg stack from the meal plans that were on the daily mail a while ago (if you haven’t seen them then have a google). I made the chicken biryani last night and it went down a storm ( caulirice) of course.

Have a good weekend everyone x

• posted by sarahb372
    on

(As we’re sharing – and I trust you all not to tell anyone (!)) My starting weight was 93.2kg. As you know the first 5 days were OK but it all fell apart over the BH weekend. Reading your comments and having this accountability got me back on track on Tuesday and so far so good. Got weighed this morning and I’m 88.1kg. That’s 5kgs lost despite the hiccough (& not to mention bananagate)! I am really happy with that.
    I’m off out on a bike ride now after eggs for brunch. Keep up the good work everyone

• posted by maidyju
    on

Day 4 here and I have stuck with the program. Sadly my weight loss rate is way smaller than everyone else’s – I’ve lost 0.2kg per day….but at least it’s in the right direction ๐Ÿ™‚
    Since we are talking about weights, my starting was 62kg on Wednesday morning. I’m 61.4kg now ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bathonian
    on

I have 25 kg to lose, that’s an aspirational target, if I could lose 15 kg I’d be thrilled, I’ve promised myself to do it for a month so committed to 100% till 2 June ๐Ÿ˜‰.
    I have quite a lot to lose so I suspect that is why I have lost more than you maidyju. It’s about 10% of what I need to lose!
    450 Calories left for dinner I’m happy with that, chicken and veg from website for dinner.
    Bigeater I’ll look up that tool to ensure I get enough nutrition from this low calorie diet, thanks.

• posted by joancarver
    on

Maidyju – I’m like you – I’ve only lost 1 pound at the start of Day 3. But I’m pleased enough that I haven’t been snacking on junk. I’m also not strict on the low carb and am not tracking calories strictly. Hoping to see some more movement by the end of week 1 though.

• posted by Jules58
    on

Morning All

Day 1 . I have persuaded my husband to join me on the BSD so we both weighed in and I read the book again ! I do enjoy the posts on here it’s nice to know I’m not alone ! I’m sticking to the diet plan in the recipe book as best I can certainly for the first few days and have made a list of jobs for me to do when I get hungry ! Starting weight 183 lbs goal 1 – 165 lbs by 8th July . Saying it here makes it real somehow !!

• posted by sarahb372
    on

Hello everyone – how was your weekend?
    I am so relieved to have got through it without a hiccough (even resisted the treats at the cinema yesterday afternoon). Another 0.5kg down since Friday (5.6kg total loss after 2 weeks) and I am starting to feel SO much better. I am still hungry during the day but it can be easily distracted and I am keeping my water levels high.
    I did eat carbs on the bike on Saturday and had porridge for breakfast before yesterday’s run but the rest of the weekend was low-carb and within calories.
    I tried skipping breakfast to save more calories for later in the day but I have reverted back to eggs for breakfast and I feel much more alert this morning. I can manage on a v low calorie lunch leaving enough for a substantial meal in the evening.
    1st revelation – cauliflower rice – where has this been all my life?
    2nd revelation – as my palate changes and I reduce sugar, the recipes taste better!
    Good luck with it and keep posting – whether we have a good day or bad it’s good to connect. I am sure the accountability helps keep or get us back on track when needed.
    Great getting hubby involved Jules58 and good to set a target. I was aiming to be below 80kg (7.6kg to go) and go back to 5:2 until I reach goal – however, I am determined to see the 8 weeks through so I may adjust this as time goes on.

• posted by Merry90
    on

Good luck Jules! It’s nice to have a buddy to do it with.

I am always a little more relaxed at the weekends compared to the week, kind of a reverse 5:2 and fits in a lot better with my lifestyle. I was much more controlled this weekend compared to the bank holiday which I am happy with. I went to the gym 4 times last week – I’m really enjoying it now, so very happy about that. I am going to keep the calories down this week and continue with the gym. I am now at 80kg and hopefully be below this for the first time in a long while by the end of the week. I haven’t remeasured myself since the initial measurements and plan to do that on Thursday, as this will be a 2 week comparison.

Have a good week everyone and for those that might have had weekend slips- don’t beat yourself up! Fresh starts each morning ๐Ÿ™‚

Charlotte x

• posted by smeee
    on

Hello all. I’d like to join the group as I’m two weeks in, which about where you are and I feel the need for some accountability!

I’ve found the two week-ends HARD. I also find the evenings tricky and it’s a total challenge to keep out of the kitchen! I love the toasted nut and seed mix: fine for a sprinkle on a meal, not so good by the handful…

However I started at 79.3 and am now lurching around 75.5 (before the w/e I was 75.1, nearly at my first mini-target: hmmm). I’m enjoying the food and am pleased to find I’m not hungry (just greedy when I’m not busy…).

• posted by maidyju
    on

It’s going good so far ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, my hubby has said he wants to do it, so I’ve been prepping his breakfasts and updating his intake on myfitnesspal. I’m hoping he will be more proactive in doing this more for himself soon, but it is a step in the right direction, and at least he is sticking with it. He IS prediabetic, so he needs to do something pronto.

As of today, I’m 1kg down (now 61kg). Steady weight loss and I’m feeling great. I did have a naughty half piece of pain au chocolate on Saturday at work, but nothing like that since. I started on Wednesday last week, so I guess I’m day 5 now? Well done everyone on amazing results!

Has anyone got any tips for hunger probs? I don’t have a problem with this, but hubby does. I’m wondering whether it’s because he would typically just eat a LOT of carbs every time he felt hungry before – he’d have a large meal, feel hungry an hour later(!) and then eat 2 pieces of bread with jam/a massive bowl of cornflakes with sugar/honey added etc…..and then repeat etc. I’m guessing that the sudden drop in calorie and carb intake has hit him more than it has hit me. I’m trying to persuade him to drink 2-3l of water a day. Luckily he does only take his coffee black (without sugar), so that’s easy. He’s gone over the 800cal allowance a couple of days, but not more than 150cal. I’m aiming his carb intake to hover around the 50g/day. Couple of days, it has been between 50-100g, but still, much better than what he used to do. I’m hoping that with time, his body will adjust to the decreased cals and the decrease in carbs (I guess it is a bit like going cold turkey?).

It’s def good to connect on here ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Nicolalm72
    on

Hi everyone i hope its ok I join this thread as I need inspiration!
    I have dusted the BSD books off my kindle and am gearing up to start after Friday. I am not sure if I should start at the weekend or wait until the Monday? I am concerned about tiredness. I am terrible for not drinking enough water (am a camel). I just thought if I start Saturday I should be seeing some form of loss mid to late week next week which will keep me motivated through the following weekend and am hoping beyond. Also it’s a standing joke in our house that it’s Monday and the diet starts NOW!
    My motivation is I am tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own skin-I don’t like looking at myself none of my clothes fit and I am concerned that I am at risk of becoming diabetic if I don’t do something now. Any thoughts anyone….please.

• posted by SaraP
    on

Hi everyone.
    Weighed in again this morning. I’ve now lost 4kg in 5 days which is ridiculous. I did start off at 92.5 though so loads to lose! I made coleslaw and piri piri chicken last night which was great. But I was out for lunch today and had a glass of wine. I’d normally have had beer though so am kidding myself that it’s not too bad.
    I started on a Wednesday Nicola as that was when I got back from holiday. Its a bit random but it worked quite well as I weighed myself on Saturday morning and the loss was motivating for the weekend. And I know what you mean about Mondays!

• posted by smeee
    on

The nice thing for me was seeing a fast impact on the scales the first few days ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyone else using my fitness pal? I have just switched to it for logging food instead of the fitbit app but I just got a message from it saying I wasn’t eating enough: hmmm. At least the food I’m eating now is good stuff, I’ve dropped (almost) all the empty calories.

Now the challenge is to keep myself from the evening snacking…

• posted by Bathonian
    on

Hi all
    I didn’t quite stick to the diet 100% over the weekend. A few extra calories and Sunday roast had 2 roast potatoes and a small Yorkshire pudding, but what I ate was so different to my usual I still lost weight. Today I’m following the diet, I’m so excited to see what the scales say tomorrow. Also my diet is more varied and I look forward to my interesting meals. I’m so hopeful that this will lower my cholesterol and help my knee pain too.
    Nicola start the diet as soon as you can it makes such a difference!

• posted by Little_Em
    on

Love reading this as it’s inspiring me to stick with it. I’ve been measuring in lb rather than kgs and had lost 3lb before the weekend . Managed to put 1 of those back on after drinking too much in the beer garden on Sunday afternoon. Back on it properly today though. Need to up my game with exercise too really- I’ve been a bit lazy. I’ve been using the Fitbit app for tracking food intake – is my fitness pal better then Smeeee?
    To avoid evening snacking I’ve been trying to keep busy. And cutting out my nightly glass (or 3) of wine has helped me avoid snacking too.

• posted by joancarver
    on

Have generally stuck to the diet and am a further 0.4kg down. Oddly, I find myself fairly ambivalent about the weight loss….I’m much more happy by that I’m snacking less. I am really keen to change my terrible eating habits and hope the weight loss just follows.

sarahb372 – I like cauliflower rice and I make (very soft) hash browns with it my mixing it with sharp cheddar cheese and baking a big flattened tray of it, then slicing it up. So true about the taste of things. I baked some stuffed baby portobello mushrooms just to have on hand as an extra side for dinner or some healthy snacking if I was desperate and my goodness, I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by how flavourful they were. Also, I made chilli for dinner tonight. I have made the exact same recipe a thousand times, but today I kept going on and on to my family about how tasty it was. I just realised now, as I’m typing this, that no one else said anything about it tasting different, so it must be just me! And I’ve found the exact same thing about how to space my meals: I have a large but low-cal breakfast, skip lunch easily as I don’t feel hungry at all – perhaps just 100mls of my Jimmys iced coffee to keep me going – then a decent dinner.

bathonian – I chuckled at your careful description of the Yorkshire pudding as “small”. I love Yorkshire pudding…better make sure not to allow any into the house! I’m glad you have stayed positive despite the slip.

nicolalm72 – I hope this doesn’t sound preachy as I’m certainly not in a position to point to any past success of my own. However, I really feel that this time is different and my attitude has changed. For example, as I mentioned above, although I’m pleased to see some small loss on the scale, it really doesn’t matter all that much to me – it’s about my eating habits. In the same vein, one of the things I’ve noticed is that I’ve always done the “I’m starting on Monday” thing. And I realise now (for me anyway), that’s the wrong way to think about it. I need to change the way I eat, the way I approach food. Not just over the next 8 weeks but forever. So if I go into this diet thinking of it as this very discrete 8-week period that has a start and an end, it’s not going to work. Even if I lose weight, I will surely regain it when the 8 weeks end. This time, I started the diet on Thursday. It just happened that way. I saw myself in the mirror and decided that morning that I’ve had enough and started right away. In the past, I have always waited til the Monday (which would have been today), but this time it feels different. So I guess what I’m trying to say in the longest possible way is just start and maybe not worry too much about when the 8 weeks start or end..just use them as a motivational time period to change habits rather than purely as a defined weight loss period…?

• posted by Nicolalm72
    on

Oh and my starting weight is 91.4kgs I want to be back to a healthy 69kgs as soon as possible. The reason I am hanging on till Friday is I am moving house, have a new job starting – both in July- but this week (as I have nothing else to do but working full time and family/house etc) I am finishing off a masters module. I can’t focus on anything else and don’t want to sink myself before I start. That said I don’t want to leave it until the comedy Monday diet day!

• posted by Nicolalm72
    on

Sorry joancarver inhave just switched off the lap top, had a bath and a little think and posted without reading your post. I don’t think its preachy at all.
    But I don’t view this as an 8wk jump on jump off bus and I agree there has to be a start. It may sound like an excuse but having just come off the old happy pills and then to my surprise finding am living 4 lives at once-to take on anything that may dent my self confidence is a complete no-no. I am aware of my limitations (I have had to build my resilience the hard way). Starting after Friday (the day my essay is handed in) is the best thing for me. I can’t afford to be anymore fatigued than I am now, I will fall off the proverbial wagon and it needs to be all or nothing to start me off. I do know most of what I am feeling is probably down to carb overload and the subsequent sluggish rubbish feelings you get from that.
    Until my 40’s when I dropped into the menopause, I was able to eat anyone under the table and maintain my weight at a sensible 69kgs. This has crept up in the last 5 years and I am seriously frightened. Oh did I mention I am a physio….I should and DO know better!!.
    Now don’t get me wrong I take full respnsibility for everything I have put in my mouth and all the excuses I have made not to exercise regularly – I did mention the physio thing? But I read this feed after joining the web page and felt inspired. I thought wow! What a brilliant bunch of motivated but honestly supportive people. This is what I need a sense of community, accountability with a good dollop of sense.

• posted by Bathonian
    on

Week 2
    3.2kg lost
    I’ve noticed that my knee hurts less and when I carry heavy shopping the pain increases. I’ve also started walking a little more every day. I’ve increased it by 1000 steps.
    These are my first health benefits I’ve noticed I’m hoping to be pain free by week 8. I’m planning to book a cholesterol check too. I’m excited to see the changes.
    My boss is on week 9 and he looks like a new man his progress is so encouraging. So worth it.
    Marcia

• posted by sarahb372
    on

Wow, so many posts to read – it’s lovely to be part of such a motivated group!
    Thanks for the recipe tips JoanCarver – it is getting easier and I am adapting recipes so we can all eat the same – the kids asked why I had a much smaller portion at dinner last night and I just said I was being healthy – they know I am trying to lose weight but I don’t want them watching me do 1 fad-diet after another – they are used to my ‘fast days’ and see it all as part of Mummy getting fit & healthy – I don’t want them having the stupid mixed messages I grew up with!
    It’s sounds like things are going well Bathonian – when you can see improvements in health the scales are so much less important – good to have a visual as well, does your boss know you are doing it? I’m sure he can offer some words of wisdom after 9 weeks!
    I have a new mantra (imagine Dory from Finding Nemo) “just drink water, just drink water……!”

• posted by Bathonian
    on

Sarah yes my boss knows I’m doing this, it makes me even more motivated, there’s no way I want my boss to think of me as a quitter!

• posted by Dogless
    on

Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been reading and wondering and hanging about in the FB group but am now going to do this. I struggle terribly with my eating and have gained so much in the last 18 months. I am miserable and pretty disgusted with myself.
    I’d like to join you guys if that’s okay, I’ll be starting tomorrow

• posted by MrsME77
    on

Dogless I will be joining you and starting tomorrow. I am not happy with my weight gain either and it’s down to nothing else but my lack of will power…..so here we go! Good Luck

• posted by smeee
    on

Sounds like a good plan to stay after friday, Nicola.

My week’s going ok. Much easier when I’m busy. I’ve resisted chocolate brownies (offered around at the start of an end of the day meeting: hard!) & jammy dodgers (panic buy to energise my four year old to cycle home from school: easy, not tasty to me!). Dinner was waiting for us in the fridge so avoided the fridge raiding impulse… now to get through the evening without raiding the toasted nuts!

• posted by maidyju
    on

Smee, I am using myfitnesspal and I just don’t submit the diary at the end of the day (it won’t let me unless I eat more than 1000kcal – which won’t be happening for another 7 weeks)! Actually, I need to go an rejig my fitbit and my myfitnesspal apps – bought a new fitbit in Feb and it doesn’t sync to MFP.

Dogless, def join in!! The more the merrier! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’d stock up on some bouillon granules (I use a veggie one) as it makes a lovely drink (13cals per teaspoon, added to boiled water). Or Miso paste. I found having something salty really help me in first couple of days when I felt a bit ropey. Also, I take a multivitamin and a magnesium supplement. Drink plenty of water too. Ask anything, everyone here is lovely ๐Ÿ˜€

Right folks, after I said I was losing just small amounts (0.2kg per day), that has ramped up to a 0.5kg loss this morning!! Maybe things are kicking in for me? I also survived a personal trainer session at the gym, and now feel great! I thought the exercise (combined with the lower calorie intake) would really screw me up, but it didn’t. Stupid question: would a bit of extra exercise accelerate weight loss? I was thinking (now I’ve given myself some days to adjust to BSD, and now that my children aren’t pox-afflicted!) to do some short treadmill sessions (30mins) and strength training (whatever the personal trainer teaches me!)…

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Dogless and all others thinking of starting this. Do it!

Every day you succeed, even every hour, is empowering. I’m on day 3 of week 2. I was going to keep it quiet, but Dr Mosley’s book recommended telling everyone and it is true that I have wonderful support at work. At home there is only the cat, so not much use there.

I have a terrible fear of failure and mostly don’t start stuff just in case I fail. Idiotic, but a real mind block. When (not if) I succeed at this, I will have less fear of starting anything.

These forums also provide amazing support.

I wish we could all get together one day to share stories, but since we are scattered over the world, that is unlikely.

Good luck

Crabbycams

• posted by Jules58
    on

Well the start of day 3 and Hubble and I have both weighed in this morning and have both lost 3lbs !! My husband feels less bloated and his knee is less painful , he can’t believe how much better he feels already. I’m not feeling it as much yet but it’s great to have all this support !

• posted by sarahb372
    on

Good morning – I hope everyone is getting on well and welcome again to any new joiners – we are all here to support one another and there is no ‘right time’ to start – best just to get stuck in!
    I’m a bit disappointed this morning as I’ve not lost anything since the start of the week – I woke up tired and achy so hoped the scales would motivate me (they didn’t). Cue feelings of self-pity and general ‘I can’t do this, it isn’t working’. However, a picture of fat v muscle just popped up on my FB feed and sanity is restored again! I know I have been following the plan and drinking the water – I cycled Saturday, ran Sunday and swam and did Yoga yesterday – I also put on a pair of trousers this morning that I haven’t worn in over 2 years! My point (yes, I do have one) is that just being part of this is a good thing – most of us are here for weight loss, but if you’ve read the books, there are so many other health benefits too. I may not be lighter this morning but I’m probably leaner – the more muscle, the more you burn fat and the better general health is. My cousin (aged 44) has just announced she is going to be a Grandma – my children are only 13 and 8 but I want to live long enough and well enough to see mine one day.
    Today’s motto “stuff the scales”!
    p.s. we all know I’ll be back on them in the morning ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Merry90
    on

So lovely to see all these posts and how well people are doing :). I agree with crabbycams, start as soon as possible! I often think..what size would I be now if I had started this weeks ago.

I’ve been weighing myself weekly as don’t want to get addicted to the scales but rather go off how i feel. My work trousers are feeling more comfortable around the waist which is positive. I weigh in on Thursday and am really hoping I will be under the 80kg mark, I’m going to measure myself the same day :).

Last night I did 30 minutes cardio in the gym followed by an hour of aqua aerobics (which is more of a workout than I thought it would be).

I got myself a spiraliser at the weekend and had the courgetti with bacon and beans last night- I would definitely recommend! I have actually ended up being under my calories after my dinner the last few days so have had some nuts as a little snack in front of the tv ( weighed out and accounted for obviously).

Smee..I am also using myfitnesspal, which I have found useful and like maidyju – I just do not submit it.

Has anyone got recommendations on fitness watches that track your workout as well as steps?

Charlotte

• posted by Little_Em
    on

Morning all. Glad I checked in before I made breakfast as it’s motivated me to keep going. Today is the start of week 2 and like you SarahB I’m not overly motivated by the scales. It’s a 3lb loss but I’d hoped for more. I know it’s about more than weight loss but its weight loss (and looking less like Jabba the Hut) that is the driving force behind this. I can’t see or feel any real difference yet. Although, that said- I’m not drinking alcohol or snacking in the evenings and I’m no longer craving sugar in the mornings- used to be a sugary tea and buttered white toast for breakfast. So there are changes even if they’re not visible. And less sugar and less alcohol has to be a good thing I’m sure.
    Hope you all have a good day. I’m off to make breakfast and I’m staying away from the toast! Thanks for the support/inspiration xxx

• posted by maidyju
    on

Well done everyone! Let’s keep going with this ๐Ÿ™‚

Sarahb372, you’re right: the health benefits are huge! If this is the thing that keeps me healthy, keeps me from having a ^fat%, getting diabetes (and all the associated problems), and everything that Michael Mosley mentioned in his book, then it’s worth it. That’s how I’m trying to sell it to my husband: if all it takes is 8weeks of this, and then maintaining it, to reverse his prediabetes and keep him healthy, and keep him from years of taking all sorts of meds, then it’s more than worth it. Like I said before, I’m a nurse, and I don’t fear getting old….but I am scared of getting ill/infirm, particularly if it is something I can try and prevent.

No weight-loss this morning when I stood on the scales, but I’m not too worried. I feel good, though I’m a bit bunged up as I took a multivitamin with iron in it, so hopefully that will sort itself out soon (I took a bit of movicol this morn). Sorry if that’s TMI!

As of yesterday, I am just 1stone off the weight I was when I was at my midwife booking appointment in 2006 (when I was pregnant with my oldest). Two years ago, I stood on the scales and I was 74kg. I’d lost a bit after my daughter’s birth in August 2013, but then put a lot back on again. I was nursing a lady who was morbidly obese, and worked out that if I continued to put weight on at the same rate that I’d been doing over the previous 6 months, by the time I got to her age, I would be her weight. It was a big shock. In the past two years, I’d lost 12kg (just using MFP), so here’s hoping that this will get shot of the rest ๐Ÿ™‚

Hubby is still doing the BSD (yay!). I’m prepping everything for him and logging it onto his MFP (he’d forget) and I managed to get him to weigh himself this morning. He didn’t do it on the day he started, so I don’t know if he’s lost anything!! Never mind, the main thing is that he’s doing the diet.

Oh, and I’ve just discovered lemon and ginger tea. This stuff is YUM!! Good luck to everyone ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Dogless
    on

Hi all. So far so good for me. I’m going to start a journal type thread of my own as well as coming in to.see all you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

I started the green tea and blueberry shake- wasn’t overly impressed but will try and tweak a couple of bits before I give up on it altogether.
    Lunch was the jewelled Feta pepper, which was a thumbs up ๐Ÿ‘ from me. Lovely flavours.

I am just at the moment having one of my sleepy moments, feeling like I could nod off at any minute

• posted by Merry90
    on

Morning! Stepped on the scales this morning and am 79.2kg, just under 80kg which was my target but essentially only a lb lost. Feeling a bit mopey as I sit with my tiny breakfast. I’m hoping measuring myself later will pick me up again. I would love to have lost 6kg by the 17th June which is when I go away however if if I stay at this rate then that’s not looking likely :(.

• posted by smeee
    on

I find that day by day measures aren’t very helpful, it’s the trend week by week that show the progress…

• posted by Merry90
    on

I do not weight myself every day, as I also do not think that it is helpful. This is my weight loss in the last week, which is why I am disappointed.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Merry90. 800grams is pretty good. Don’t feel dejected, the weight loss can speed up and slow down at random. Stick to the diet and you may even lose the 6kg by 17th June or close to it. Just keep at it – you will see.

Bigeater

• posted by Bathonian
    on

I do weigh everyday. I use it as an indicator of, if I have not followed the diet to the letter my weight goes up. I’m happy to report after a bumpy weekend I’ve lost a pound, 8 lbs in 10 days. I lose if stick to it 100%.

• posted by sarahb372
    on

What an odd day. I seem to have got over the hump of feeling hungry and tired – in fact I feel great. Not craving anything, drinking water, sleeping well. But the scales haven’t shifted since Monday. I’m trying to stay positive (because I really do feel good) but I’m hoping this is just a lull. The aim, afterall, is to lose weight – any words of wisdom? Should I be worried?

• posted by smeee
    on

I’ve found day to day weight change very variable but it seems to be the trend (ie average weight over the week) that is more useful to me… last couple of days not really going in the right direction.

Reasonable day despite rather weird eating. Usual evening munchies, 500 ml sparkling water with a slice of lime and camomile tea to fill up (really?!). It kind of works.

• posted by Bathonian
    on

Sarah I find the weight falls off in chunks so staying the same for days is quite normal for me then all of a sudden I lose a couple of pounds. Don’t lose hope if you’ve stuck to the diet you’ll see a drop soon, good luck Mxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The aim is really not to lose weight, it is to burn fat. Many other things affect body weight, after all. Water retention, if you exercise a lot muscle will be broken down which could cause extra water to be used in muscle building/rebuilding. Hormones like cortisol can have a big effect too. 2lb a week of fat is a really good result, showing a caloric intake of approx 7,000 less than you have burnt during a week. A stall in weight is most likely caused by water or solids, on this way of eating. Basically, don’t worry about it as worry can cause water retention in itself. Feeling great is showing that you are now fully fat adapted, so you will probably enter the stall-whoosh cycle where burnt fat molecules are replaced in fat cells by water and then your weight after staying the same for days or even rising will suddenly fall overnight by a couple of pounds. This is very common.

• posted by Bathonian
    on

What a great reply mixnmatch thanks for the explanation

• posted by sarahb372
    on

Thank you all – and great explanation Mixnmatch – perhaps a couple of days away from the scales will do me good too ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by SaraP
    on

Hi all
    Like SarahB I’ve not seen any change on the scales since Monday. But I’m telling myself that’s fine because I’ve lost 4 kg so far and am now on day 10. When I did Slimming World previously I’d have been really pleased with 4 kg in a month, so I need to be a bit more realistic about my expectations! And MixnMatch’s explanation was very reassuring.
    Used my spiraliser for the 1st time last night and was quite impressed. I had pork stirfry with courgette noodles and the left overs are lunch for today. Am trying not to eat until then which will be a good 16 hours. I walked up the stairs to work today too – though I regretted it by the fifth floor! I’m off out with work friends tonight so will be trying to have low carb Indian – obviously I’ll miss out rice and nan bread (aargh, nan bread!) but I guess tandoori chicken or a dal should work?

• posted by sarahb372
    on

SaraP do you remember Fake-aways from Slimming World? There are definitely some low carb Indian options – good luck.
    I know a couple of you were planning to start today – I hope things have worked out and you join our merry band!
    Just been for a 5km plod – a bit slow & lacklustre but it’s done – got studying to do today so must get on and stop finding things to do/blogs to read!!

• posted by Bathonian
    on

When I decided to give this diet a go I had problems getting the book from Amazon, it got lost and I ended up getting a kindle version. Yesterday my paper Recipe Book arrived WOW it’s like a whole new world of inspiration has arrived so much so that I’ve tried again with the printed version of the diet book, fingers crossed.
    I have been told to be careful with the calorie count in the book but I’m excited!

Any favourites out of the recipe book? X

• posted by smeee
    on

I like the raspberry chia Porridge ๐Ÿ™‚

I went out last night and had rice with veggie stir fry & treacle tart (really? That was silly!). So today not only has my stretch of not losing continued but I am 1kg more than yesterday: yikes!

I also feel hungover (didn’t have a drop of alcohol): weird.

So I’ll have to work hard today on zero lapses…

• posted by sarahb372
    on

Still no movement on the scales – but I’m sticking with it. Out at a Eurovision party tonight – that should be interesting – I’ve never done one of those sober before!

• posted by smeee
    on

Good luck with that sarahb372: I think I’d struggle with sober eurovision…

Please log in or register to post a reply.