Starting 8 wk Fast 800 plan on 30/01 – Diet buddy(ies) wanted!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi – I’m 37 years old, British, female and about to commence the BSD 8 week Fast 800 for the first time on 30th Jan.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes just 2 days ago. I’ve probably been diabetic for a year and a half but my first diabetic reading was not followed up by my GP surgery and it was only at my prompting that a new blood test was done at the end of last year confirming my diagnosis (but again I had to chase my surgery for an appt to follow up on these tests).

On the positive side, my GP (once I finally got to see her) told me that she thought I had 3 years to get this under control and reverse it before it became much harder to do so. She recommended the BSD and she believes I can use it to reverse my diagnosis. So I read the book and now I’m here, getting a plan together and looking for someone planning to start on the same day so we can champion and support each other.

This is going to be the hardest thing I have ever done. I have struggled with my weight for a long time. There are a lot of reasons for this – I have a sedentary job and am not a fan of exercise (other than walking which I love). I don’t often eat unhealthily (I don’t binge and whilst the occasional takeaway is enjoyed, I don’t live in McDonalds) but I do eat far more ready meals than I should and when I don’t I probably eat more than I need to. I’ve had polycystic ovarian syndrome since childhood and from that developed insulin resistance so the weight started going on in mid twenties and has crept up by about 10lbs a year despite frequent attempts to cut out carbs (always scuppered by needing to get a sandwich or a ready meal for convenience when working through lunch or working late).

I really enjoy eating fresh healthy food and whilst the 800 calories is a big drop in daily consumption I think I can handle it. My biggest issue is around convenience. I’m not good at planning meals in advance and my job means I don’t often get lunch breaks. I think I’m going to have to resort to meal replacements drinks or bars on some days when I don’t have time to stop.

I’m determined to do this because I don’t want this diagnosis or to constantly be on medication. I quit smoking just over 3 months ago on my own without any nicotine replacement therapy and if I can do that, I can do this.

I think.
    With support.
    And a new friend or two to share the challenge with me…

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Shanshu and welcome to the forum. It probably makes a bit of sense to start moving yourself mentally over towards the BSD way of looking at things by starting the Way of Life diet now, which is much the same foods as a general rule, but not counted. Just try to simply give up the ‘white stuff’ and added sugar straight away and it will help straight away as you start exploring alternatives. It may even help you avoid the carb flu that many people experience. There are some ready meals and soups that are of sufficiently high quality with no added rice, potato, flour or sugar, although they can be a little dear, and I swear by the salad as a work lunch even with snow on the ground as it was today. Get used to reading ingredients labels. I don’t think many people use shakes or bars, but some people may have some suggestions. I use a low carb high protein shake called ‘For Goodness Shakes Ultimate Protein’ which replaces my evening meal on days when I am training at that meal time, but I am sure plenty of others are available.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi MixnMatch – thank you for the excellent advice and welcome.

I will take your advice and start low carbs now. I do this most days because I know I should but I often have days off because of inconvenience and I’ll just make sure I’m stricter with myself. So thanks for that tip!

I’ve looked at the Atkins bars and shakes because they will be low carb as well as low calorie so may use them but will check out the shakes you suggested as well – thanks.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Shanshu! Welcome to the forum — Mixnmatch gave you good advice, start NOW, even if only to cut out all sugar (in all forms), flour, bread, refined carbs, potato, corn, peas — anything high carb — and you will immediately benefit and probably avoid the more irritating aspects of “carb-withdrawal” when you start in earnest. It takes a bit of time to wrap your head around the low carb thing, so it’s good to practice!
    I’m going to encourage you NOT to use any Atkins bars or other pre-made foods — making simple food is so easy and you don’t have to do any recipes at all — I never did the BSD recipes, just made simple things like 3 ingredient beef stir fry (green onions, broccoli and sliced steak — my “sauce” for that is 1teaspoon soy sauce, 1teaspoon catsup (organic so no high fructose corn syrup), 1teaspoon wine or mirin, a couple drops toasted sesame oil, dried ginger, red pepper flakes and dried or fresh garlic) (that’s for one person) or a chicken breast roasted in oven with a side of sautéed greens and some other green veg — I found simple food was much easier and more satisfying.
    It is super important to start eating and making real food so you are getting nutrition and learning how to feed yourself and nurture yourself in a new way.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi CaliforniaGirl – thank you for your tips. I love stir fries etc so was only thinking of shakes/bars when I’m stuck. My biggest concern about not having meal replacements to hand is that I frequently don’t get to stop for lunch or work late and I think that will make me more likely to reach for something easy to keep me going.

Whilst it’s simple enough to make up a salad, I don’t always have the luxury of a fridge to keep it cool (or I may be on the move). Any tips on easy lunchtime meals I can prep in advance that can be kept at room temperature?

• posted by Shanshu
    on

I’m just going to add that I eat ‘real’ food all the time. I just eat too much of it and sometimes resort to carb meals because of convenience and unfortunately that plus a sedentary lifestyle has led to steady weight gain and eventual diabetes diagnosis.

I’m hoping that the shock of that will spur me to both do this diet and exercise more and, of course, reduce my blood sugar.

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Hi shanshu I’m also British, female and 36 years old. So almost a perfect match lol. I got diagnosed with type 2 about a year and half ago. Sadly my docs where not so supportive of low carb diets but I still went ahead and researched on ways to reverse diabetes when I found this site. I completed 8 weeks about 6 months ago and I lost a lot of weight. I started weighing 107kg and I know weigh about 85.5 kg. I still have quite a bit to lose but as I’ve fell off the 809 Cals I’ve not been losing any weight. I want to start back and I would love to share support and get some too. At the moment I’m eating low carb high fat. I’m trying to warn myself off of the carbs just as mixnmatch suggested. I’ve had my blood test done last week. Hoping to get some good news. Can’t wait to start the 800.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Roxanna – your story has given me a lot of hope. My starting weight is a fraction above yours and it’s been a few years since I was at your current weight and I’m very excited about the prospect of possibly being that weight again (and hopefully eventually much less).

I’m going to do my best to cut out carbs by the time I start the 800 diet starting tomorrow. I have several nights in hotels coming up a few night’s business, and the rest pleasure) so being low carb will be hard but I’ll give it a good go.

When are you planning on starting back on the 800 diet?

• posted by Chrysalis
    on

Hi Shanshu, I have started this week and would be happy to keep you company on the journey. Like you I often dont get a lunch break so taking protein smoothie for lunch on busy days, with spinach in for good measure (you don’t taste it but it is full of goodness) is fine as it is nutritionally balanced and is much better than snacking because you are hungry

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Chrysalis – that sounds a good idea. How are you finding it so far? You must be on Day 5 I’m guessing?

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Shanshu, im planning to start in a couple of days I just want to be fully prepared. I’ll be doing my weekly shop to make sure I have plenty of veggies and protein. A go to snack or light meal that I enjoy is biiled eggs. They keep well if u leave the skin on until ur ready to eat them then just peel and enjoy with a tea or coffee low calorie high protein keeps u going till u get ur hands on a proper meal

• posted by Roxanna
    on

I meant boiled eggs unpeeled until needed. Lol

• posted by Roxanna
    on

It’s great that ur going to cut down on carbs before u go into the 800 calories kit will help u get the hang of things. The first few days you will feel hunger but after that it isn’t too bad it seems to get easier. The reason I feel off it was that I had a plateau and I lost motivation. But I’m hoping it will be better this time. And I’m here for you and anyone who needs support. So just shout I’ll try my best to help u.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks – another good idea. I’m glad I came on and posted.

I’m also glad I’ve got a couple of weeks to get my head around what I need to do and properly plan it all.

I’m fortunate that I don’t have anyone else to cater for except my bf 3 times a week and generally he likes to cook anyway. He’s already nosed through the book so I know he will be happy to eat with me. And then on Sunday I eat dinner with my housemates but again they are being supportive and saying they’ll have stuff from the book and just have other stuff with it to bulk out their portion.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Roxanna – good luck. I’ll look out for your posts.

• posted by Chrysalis
    on

Yes, first weigh in today and lost 4 1/2 lbs, which is great. Feeling much better now tho felt ropey for first few days, which apparently isn’t uncommon.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Chrysalis – wow that’s great. I really hope I get good results too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.