Starting 1st Nov

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keithm
    on

Hi, anyone up for starting a support group to start now. Bit about me. I actually started today, but this is my second effort. I did this about 2 years ago and lost 3 st and a couple of pounds by following the principles of the diet but not sticking to 800 calories. That was over several months. I did go to the gym then (a lot – I can burn around 2500+ calories just in the gym a day) so no need to stick to 800 as such. So I went from 16st to 12st 9 lbs and was the slimmest I’d been in maybe 15 years (I’m 56). However, a year ago roughly, I started a new job working away , which involved eating out a lot, drinking more than I did at home. Within days I went back to old ways It has taken me that year to go back to 14st 3 lbs – 1.5 st gain. That job has now ended and since this morning I am back in the gym like never before and this time I am going to follow the diet more strictly until I get back to 12st 9lb. Till then, no alcohol (whereas last time I did drink wine with meals at weekends).

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Keithm, I started a couple of years ago as well, I joined the forum in October 2017 but was a lurker until December 2017. I have passed my initial target, to get back to my average weight as an adult, but that was always overweight so now I am working on improving further.

Over the last year we have got into a rhythm of having a monthly and a weekly thread. People find it helpful to set themselves targets for a week or a month at a time and share progress towards those aims or ask for help if needed. On both threads you will find a mixture of newcomers and old hands who are willing to share their experience. – The monthly thread is No nonsense November, the weekly thread starts every tuesday each week and has the date in the title.

• posted by MagicalMe
    on

Was ready to join you Keith but I might join the weekly instead.

• posted by KKatie
    on

Hello Keith,
    Are you still there?
    Can I join you?

• posted by keithm
    on

Hi Yes, I am still here. Of course you can join me. Thank you for replies above. I will check out the weekly and monthly things as well. Katie, I was going to say tell us about yourself but there might be only 2 of us at the moment. Have you started and how has it gone so far?

• posted by KKatie
    on

Hi Keith,
    I was going to start today but someone brought Greggs doughnuts to my work and I ate too many (I hate food waste, so became the waste disposal!) and scuppered it. So plan B to get going tomorrow. I have the B S D book and plan to follow the guidelines but not count anything, I don’t believe in calories! I want to lose about a stone but not obsess about it. I’m 40, I live near Glasgow.
    Today’s weight: 10 stone 6
    Hopefully end weight: 9 stone 7.
    How many hours does it take to burn 2000 calories in the gym? I do pilates twice a week but maybe should get back to HIIT and the running machine. I liked exercise but it’s been a busy summer in the garden and I fell out of the habit.
    Best wishes,
    Katie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Kkatie, it takes between 3 and 5 hours of hard gym work to burn off 2000 calories. Extra exercise doesn’t make up for extra calories. The reduction in calories are the most important part along with the almost total reduction in carbs. Obviously we have carbs are there are carbs in just about everything except meat and dairy proteins, i.e. apples, courgettes, most fruits are very high except berries and even cucumber has carbs. So the diet advocates no white or processed carbs, flour, potatoes, rice, wheat products, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals except oats, You will soon get the hang of it.

• posted by keithm
    on

Katie, good luck starting tomorrow. Pilates is good – I do that occasionally as well, but a HIIT/body conditioning class is more what you need (in addition to pilates). If your gym does the Les MIlls stuff, then Body Attack is the best – quite hard at first but there are “low” options for beginners and you burn a lot of calories in that class – 45 mins = c 500 calories. I also find spinning is a big calorie burner, especially if you get a good instructor. Let us know how you gtet on, or better still, join the other group on here (NO NONSENSE NOVEMBER). I am in Devon, east of Exeter.

• posted by keithm
    on

Katie – did you join No Nonsense November group? Don’t think I’ve seen you there. How are you getting on with diet? First week can be the hardest….

• posted by KKatie
    on

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for thinking of me! Yes I started and am feeling well but I didn’t post anything. I think the emphasis on frenetic exercise and *eliminating* carbs put me off. I don’t feel hard exercise is good for my body, it responds better to yoga and pilates, I have fewer injuries and muscle aches. Also I don’t think the book I have advocates the *elimination* of carbs, it only says reduce or minimise so that’s what we’ve done.
    So I’m doing it my way and would feel a bit odd commenting on a thread where people will be suggesting I’m doing it wrongly. I’m enjoying the food as is my family and I think it will be sustainable for us.
    All the best on your journies, Keith and Sunshine.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Kkatie, it doesn’t matter how you do it. I cant remember which book you have or if you even said but there are a combination of diets on here. I do the BSD which eliminates all white, starchy carbs but that is because I am diabetic and know what even small amounts of carbs do to my blood glucose. The Fast 800 is a strict fast weight loss plan very similar to BSD but it also introduces time restricted eating and various fasts. Then there is the 5:2 where you eat normal but healthy for 5 days and do the 800 cal fast for 2. Finally, there is the Med diet where you just aim to eat really fresh and healthy food and reduce carbs. That sounds more like it would suit you, especially as you dont have a massive amount to lose. The reason I have mentioned all the diets is because, if Dr Mosley can be so flexible in his plans there is no need for anyone to say you are not doing it right. What is right and works for you is more important. Some of us are a bit religious about our carbs but that is not to say you need to be. Just keep trying and keep away from Greggs 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.