Starting 10th October 2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I will post my eating for today …. even though i’m not on goal for carbs.

I had 2 pieces of tilapia fried in garlic butter. I wanted to do butter and lemon but i had no plain butter and i haven’t been out and about.
    I also cut up some spinach in the garlic butter ………….. and that actually tasted quite good.

Then i cut up 2 small apples with peel on and had those.

I had 2 cups of coffee with cream.

Might have some salad later if i am hungry.

I am not displeased with my eating today …. it was pretty healthy and not too far off goal.

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Week two weigh in and a loss of 1.2kg. I’m happy/disappointed. I think one of the pitfalls of this diet is that we see people dropping big numbers and have the same expectations for ourselves. I have had a few slip ups over the weekend, so I really shouldn’t have expected moreπŸ˜†. Off to the shops this morning to fill the fridge for the week. Good luck with week three everyone!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I am writing instead of eating! But I sure want to eat! I’m feeling a bit unsettled after I nearly made a careless mistake online that would have cost me hundreds of dollars probably. Just silly inattention. It’s all fine. But interesting (and worrying) that my response to any upset is to want food. I nearly let that voice talk me into having something BSD friendly (but going over calories). It’s less than an hour to dinner so I am going to wait.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Natalie, have you tried drinking something instead? Sparkling water, herb tea, or black coffee are my usual low calorie ways to put me off going and finding something to eat.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning 10/10 ers
    I am thrilled to have lost 41/2 lbs this week, which is 13. 1/2 lbs over the two weeks!. I’m feeling so positive and just hope I maintain this enthusiasm!.
    Now for week three – good luck to everyone.
    X B

• posted by Natalie
    on

Great loss Busybee! And thanks for the tip Mixnmatch, I don’t drink coffee but I should get myself some sparkling water for special occasions.

I stuck to my plan and finished day 15 on 843 cals 20g carb. Much better.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning Day 16. I knew spicy food would do the trick, got things moving. A major change in weight over 24 hours – I lost 1.1kg since yesterday! Plateau over. Very happy with that. If you ever wonder if constipation can affect your weigh-in, well it does!

Also I started this diet on the second-shortest belt hole, now the shortest is a bit too loose. The jeans themselves have been fraying at the inner thigh seam for a while (where my legs rub together, that is always where my jeans and trousers wear out) and I’ve been trying to make them last until I lose more weight but I think I’ll have to go out and buy some interim jeans. I’ll have to chose very tight ones to grow down into. And a new belt!

My plan for today:
    B: yoghurt and strawberries
    L: chilli lime prawns with Asian stir fry (trying a new recipe)
    D: pork schnitzel (not crumbed) in mushroom cream sauce

• posted by shalimar
    on

πŸ™‚
    Hey ….. how are things going Maharani Kitten ??? HUGS πŸ™‚

I got up very late today …. was going to go out or order pizza. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ And i have an appointment with Diabetes North tomorrow (although they just seem to take my information) … i think they really tow the diabetes party line … but i did go to the library and printed out the Mosley Info. for Professionals.

Instead of pizza i just made a feast of bacon and eggs. Going to have some coffee too. and maybe a small apple or two.
    I’m fine with just moving towards the 800 calories.
    At least with the Diabetes North people monitoring me … and my assorted tests done for them and the walk in doctor i can make a “true” reboot!
    At the very least : no popcorn, no chips, no wine.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Hi Shalimar, I’m good. I work in Comms for a big charity and we’ve had a huge campaign week last week so have been a bit too busy to post. Today is a day off – hurrah!
    Good news is that my two week total yesterday was 13lbs so I am very pleased with that, over a quarter of the way towards my eventual weight loss target of 42lbs and well on the way to the 28lbs in 8 weeks that would absolutely delight me if I can manage it by Christmas. I know things may slow off now but 15lbs in six weeks looks do-able.

As I’ve mentioned before, I lost lots of weight and maintained well on low carb for a number of years, only gained again when I was prescribed T2D meds and followed diabetic dietician’ advice that if I didn’t eat starchy foods I’d die (!!!) which, with hindsight, I should have known was rubbish!, so it’s like stepping into an old shoe, habits wise. Eat fillings, not bread in sandwiches, limit lactose and fructose, get most calories from lean protein and green veg – I just need to get used to less cheese, more fish, and smaller portions to keep my calorie count down.

The real bonus is the effect on my blood sugar. Low FBS every morning, and stable and low even after food. Amazing. Two weeks in, and the doc has agreed I can drop one of my meds (with conditions around testing) but whoop, whoop, am delighted as he was pretty scathing about this eating plan.

Only one ‘cheat’ and it was my old nemesis, work stress and chocolate, but only a tiny weeny (30g) green & blacks bar of dark choc, and I accounted for it in daily calorie count.

Today will be

Yoghurt and strawberries
    Feta, cucumber and watermelon salad
    Chicken and broccoli
    6 almonds

Happy Tuesday everyone! Mkx

• posted by shalimar
    on

Congrats Maharani Kitten …. so glad it’s all working for you. I would love to safely get completely off the metformin!!! That salad sounds yummy!!!

πŸ™‚ HUGS πŸ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Day 16 done. Final count 872 cals 34g carb. I loved my chilli lime prawns for lunch, although actually I liked the veges more than the prawns. Who is this writing that they liked vegetables? I think the real Natalie has been replaced with some weirdo hippy vege-lover. But I tried broad beans as one of my vegetables with dinner and didn’t like them at all, neither did the kids. Not much taste but an unpleasant texture. I did take off both layers of skin as the Internet instructed. Maybe I overcooked them, but I don’t think I’ll bother trying again.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Just got back from my Diabetes North appointment. My HBA1C is just above 7 percent … which is really great especially since in the summer my blood sugar tests couldn’t get under 23 (when 10 is getting up there). AND i finally got to weigh myself …. since before i got sick about 3 weeks ago. Didn’t gain anything …. and that included some very rough incorrect eating days). I’m still taking 2-3 metformin a day, esp. since i’ve seldom been under 800 calories with no exercise.

Same old line though …. wanting me to eat 130 carbs a day!!! I am still going to try for 50 carbs a day … i am not even going to discount for fibre … but i will try and eat more lentils since they are quite high in fibre.

I thought i had gone back up to 245 pounds or more … so i am a VERY happy camper at 235 pounds!!! I still think i can get below 200 by Christmas … although my written goal is Dec. 10 for that.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hello to Day 17. I dont wanna say Good Morning because it doesn’t feel that good. I tried to increase my water a bit yesterday, of course the result was getting up multiple times during the night. And my weight has jumped back UP a whole kg back to my plateau weight and making me think yesterday’s big loss was just a mistake. Tired and grumpy. Oh, and my daughter has come down with the cold that my son and husband have had all week, so I’m in a house full of germs and coughs and sniffs. As well as feeling sorry for them, I have a 0.000001% chance of not catching it too.

Great news for you Shalimar, especially the HBA1C result.

My plan for the day, that I really don’t feel like sticking to::
    B: omelette
    L: chicken stir fry
    D: zoodle (courgette) carbonara

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Natalie HUGS

Sorry about the colds … just got over mine. Still sniffling a lot!!

Got any bacon to go with that omelette??? Everything is better with bacon!! Or a bit of cheese and bacon??

Some berries for vitamin C??

Hope you feel better soon!!

HUGS

on

NO SLEEP!! Third morning spent sitting at my desk in my PJs waiting for the sun to rise over the Edinburgh skyline. Think I’ll go downstairs and attack my ironing mountain…

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m with you Maharani Kitten! Not enough sleep really sucks. Three nights in a row much make it really hard to stick to plan, the body always craves extra calories when tired.

Shalimar I took your advice and had bacon! Don’t know if it helped long term, but it was certainly tasty. I also swapped lunch with tomorrow’s plan. I’ll likely go a bit over calories today but I have stuck to Med principals. And I won’t go much over, still be under 1000. As long as I resist the chocolate!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Maharani kitten …… lord i hate ironing! I don’t buy anything that needs ironing. In fact i gave my iron away on a Put your stuff on the sidewalk and give it away day here!!

Hi Natalie … gotta love a bit of bacon, Although i did buy some Black Forest ham and some free run eggs so i can make a denver omelette or denver scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I felt really grungy so i went to bed earlier … but here i am up and eating sugar snap peas!!!

on

Yuk, one of those awful mornings when you slouch back off to bed and have an unsatisfactory hour of grungy sleep that leaves you more exhausted than if you hadn’t bothered. Also, fell asleep on my dressing gown cord so now have imprint on face….doh!

Off to run a nice deep bath and put a melon, yoghurt and oat milk smoothie in the fridge for breakfast after. Am going to try a juiced breakfast and a 150 cal veg soup lunch today, plain fish and lightly buttered greens for dinner which I calculate at 790 and 40g carbs – only a wee bit of melon to get the raste.

Having a couple of days with no cheese to try to break my reliance on it for this plan after I found myself mindlessly cutting some extra chunks of feta for my salad yesterday. It was pretty much my ‘go to’ hunger busting snack on low-carb. I wish I liked eggs, but I don’t ! I also have a saucer in the fridge with 100 calories worth of healthy snacks – tiny slices of sausage, ham, celery, half a teaspoon of salmon pate.as I’m working at home today and the coffee shop with its yummy scones is only 300 yards away…

I think I might be waking up because I feel hungry, so am going to experiment with more calories from protein and fat at dinner time and maybe a creamy decaf before bed.

Choose well today everyone! A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips, as my dear old gran used to say. MK x

• posted by shalimar
    on

I hate those unsatisfying sleeps to Maharani kitten!!!

I actually really only like the egg yolks … i tolerate the white part. I love to crisp up some onion and ham or bacon … then break the eggs on top of the mix … and fry until i get the yolks still a bit runny … that way i get bacon and onion with every bite of egg. Sometimes i don’t eat all of the white and just pitch it.

My meals will depend on if i go to aquabics (my shoulder is still bugging me) …. cause i might eat out and then hit the Walmart and grocery store there.

I will likely make up a huge pot of soup …. chicken, lentils and tons of veg and spinach.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I’ve had trouble sticking to the Fast 800 as well. I’ve been sick for about 3 weeks and unable to exercise. Mind you i finally weighed myself yesterday and i didn’t gain …. so i am happy with that. Very happy because i thought i had gained 10 to 15 pounds in that time.

I have contacted an organization here called Diabetes North and even though i don’t find their advice that useful i do think i need to keep in touch … they know i’m doing the Mosley plan and my starting weight and my blood sugars. I also went to the walk in clinic and got the doctor to send me for base line tests. Having someone know my plans is a help.

I am also gradually going to increase my aquabics and exercise … i enjoy those things and can’t wait to get back at it. It’s also exercise that is easy on my eroded discs in my back. Find an exercise you enJOY!! Try out different stuff. I intend to also get into Tai Chi and yoga.

I am also into Mosley’s 3rd part of the attack … Mindfullness. I have signed on to the Palouse Online Mindfulness course and have found a local Mindfulness course that i am starting in January. I find when i get the least bit pissy or emotional i eat incorrectly.

When i have accomplished my goal i will go on the maintenance plan … i will occasionally have a chocolate almond croissant, eat at Tokyo House, have A & W onion rings … and cake. I will just not have them all on the same day or even in the same week.

Even now …. i almost never crave foods on the Avoid List …. i want them but i don’t crave them. But i don’t go down the pastry aisle either just to see if i can.

I am 67 and retired now. I am having a few problems adjusting to retirement.

But i am keeping my eyes on the prize. I want to be able to travel a bit. Travel is expensive and a waste of money if i can’t enjoy walking around without being sick and tired.

I am stick and tired of being too sick and tired to enJOY the life i have left. I am keeping my eye on the prize … even though i freely admit i have fallen off the wagon numerous times … i am NOT giving up or giving in.

I need to drink more liquids!

p.s. this is a double post …. but i wanted it to go in my 10th October start group as well.

on

Shalimar, I can totally empathise as your sort of post was the sort I used to make on the low carb forum I joined several years ago.

However. I’m going to be a bit blunt here and I hope nobody will be offended. The turning point for me for starting low carb was approaching 50 with a dodgy back, doing nothing I enjoyed because I didn’t ‘deserve’ it till I was thinner, tired all the time, spending most of my time asleep on the sofa after work, no joy at all in life.

Another forum buddy called me out on the way I kept starting, cheating, blaming my own silly self and my own dodgy health, and how ultimately, it was down to ME to make that difference. She was 66, had been grossly overweight her whole life – she had her babies when she weighed in at well over 20 stones, and still carried with her the humiliation she’d been made to feel. Even that, her husband running off with a skinny b*tch, her health deteriorating to a point where she rarely left the house, wasn’t enough to make her stop.

One day she sat down aged 64 and realised that if she lived as long as her mum (unlikely, with her health problems) she had just 12 summers to achieve everything she wanted to achieve in her life. Just 144 months. She determined that she was going to spend six of those months investing in herself to ensure she could travel, study, love life and feel good about herself for the last lap.

She did it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one mouthful at a time. She walked everywhere, had swimming lessons as that was the only exercise she could do without harming her back. She never, ever cheated, (which is all ‘falling off the waggon is – just a nicer way of saying you cheated yourself), used to post regularly about how she didn’t care how offended her friends and family were when she refused food – she was totally selfish – and she lost ten stones in six months. Her turning point was when she realised that she didn’t actually have to DO anything, she simply had to STOP doing things. Eating rubbish. Starting diets. Making excuses for herself. She was an inspiration to me, and adopting her attitude helped me lose seven stones, and keep it off.

We can all talk about ‘easing ourselves in’ and ‘starting again tomorrow’ and making commitments and discussing our plans to start sometime soon. . I’ve been doing that for months, blaming my diabetes diagnosis, waiting for things to happen. But ultimately, you have to grab yourself by the scruff of your neck and work hard to deserve that JOY. I can still remember the utter thrill of seeing those scales go down, week by week, feeling myself getting fitter and stronger, loving it. I want to feel that way again and if it takes three or four months of NOT sabotaging myself, at all, I know it is worth it.

Julie, my Forum buddy, has stayed slim for seven years and has completed an arts degree, written a book and travelled extensively, crossing off two countries a year from her bucket list. I hope her story inspires people here as much as she inspires me.. MK x. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Natalie
    on

I finished my Day 17 on 1166 cal and 32g carb. Over the 800 but I felt I needed it today, including the dark chocolate after dinner! My husband and two children are all sick, and I felt quite depressed today so I don’t know if I’m coming down with it or just tired. I had different foods than I had planned but still stuck to Med principles (even the chocolate!) I’m on my last glass of water for the day – not going to risk another disrupted night.

• posted by Lara
    on

Thanks KrysiaD! I’ve started trying a 20 min walk after lunch and dinner and seems to be helping! Fantastic that you’re completely off insulin – that’s my ultimate dream goal πŸ™‚ – and so happy for you that you’re free of the retinopathy and macular oedema. The thought of long term eye complications terrifies me.

The article KrysiaD mentioned is at this link http://www.otago.ac.nz/diabetes/news/otago624442.html for anyone who’s interested (article is titled “Short walks after meals may prove important tool in managing diabetes”).

Insulin use continues to come down. I’ve managed today with no meal time doses (but carbs have been extra low (21 for the day) and I’ve done the walk after lunch and dinner. Am slowly trying to reduce overnight dose as well.

• posted by Lara
    on

Maharani Kitten – thank you for your post today. It really resonated with me. I’m 43 and I’ve been overweight most of my life. I’m sick of being this way. I’ve wasted my 20’s and 30’s. I don’t know what switch has finally flipped in my brain, but this program is working for me (Day 19 and counting!).

The BSD is both easy and hard. Easy because I’m not craving all the junk I used to stuff myself with and I’m not hungry between meals (although I still think about food a LOT). When I see a display of fabulous cakes and pastries, I feel completely dispassionate. Before I would want to buy everything and would often purchase more than 1 item at a time. Now I just see processed sugar and garbage that my liver will have to process. I’m not saying I’ll never eat cake again πŸ™‚ but at least now I know I don’t “need” it and the trade off I’m making if I eat it.

BSD is also incredibly hard because it takes planning, preparation and tremendous mental energy to keep yourself on track. I’ve never put so much time into organising my meals, balancing calories and carbs. It takes effort. But I was facing spiralling weight gain and more and more medication. I didn’t know how to stop it. Now I do.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Maharani kitten πŸ™‚ great post!! So true!

Started off the day great … eggs, ham and chopped green onion. Yummy. I had never tried the green onion and i will definitely do it again. Making a great pot of veggie soup with some cut up chicken breast. Very low carb and calorie … will yield about 10 portions.

• posted by Determinedthistime
    on

YES !!! Thank you Maharani Kitten your post was just what I needed to spur me on and get me back on track. It’s crazy really isn’t it ? Our future is in our own hands and only we can help ourselves. I have spend years, or decades really, just wishing there was a magic wand that would make me / help me lose weight. When I think how I’ve spent my 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and most of my 50’s overweight, obese and now morbidly obese it makes me want to cry.
    Finally (I really hope) I’ve seen the light, come to my senses and started this way of life. I am just over 4 weeks in and have lost 12lbs so far. Not a massive amount, but I am thrilled, considering I’ve made a conscious decision to have 1 day off (!!) per week. I know that wouldn’t work for everyone, but I’m not doing this from the T2 aspect. I’ve got a long way to go and if I know I can have a couple of glasses of wine, buttered toast etc once in a while, it keeps me on track. This may change in the future, as now most of the time I feel in control, which is a BIG change from my previous way of life.
    Thanks everyone for your posts, I’m sure everyone agrees they are so invaluable. I cannot tell you how much a load of ‘virtual’ people I have never met have helped me through the last few weeks. xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lara
    Thank you for posting the link about the walking after eating – I had only read the report about it in the newspaper so it was good to read the whole article. A lot of the diabetes complications seem to be linked to the high blood sugar spikes after meals so it seems to be a really sensible thing to do.

You are doing so well in reducing your insulin. That is exactly how I did it – fairly low carbs and walking after meals. I am continuing with the same regime because it has been successful and I don’t want to work my pancreas too hard as it has only been working properly for such a short time.

Shalimar – you have motivated me to get out my soup recipes and start soup making now it is colder.

on

I don’t have a problem with counting and balancing, because I hate that, so I’ve factored it out. I plan to eat the same ready-counted breakfasts, lunches and dinners x 7 for the next 8 weeks, and nothing else. There’s plenty of choice, 200 for breakfast and lunch, 400 for dinner. It’s just fuel, not a reward. And then I don’t need to obsess about food – it’s just another thing to do in the day. Feeling good today, sort of light inside. MK x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning Day 18. Had a weird weigh-in this morning. I’ve been on 81.2 or 81.1 kg for five days (if I ignore big loss Tues that was back up next day) and was hoping to break the plateau. Got on the scales. 81.5! No! A gain? Remembered to take off heavy pjs. 81.1. Back to plateau. Better than a gain I guess, but I spent my shower grumbling about how is it possible to eat so little and not gain weight, blaming myself for going over calories on many of those days, knowing I wasn’t going to give up but feeling bad. Got back on the scales just in case (I don’t usually jump on and off, I just weigh once). Apparently my sweat weighs nearly half a kg because now I was down to 80.7! Tried a few more times. 80.4!! 80.7. 80.7. Ok I’m going to go with 80.7 but I don’t know whether to trust my scales now. They’ve seemed reliable before. Maybe they were on an uneven bit of floor, I did move them a bit.

I slept poorly again (my husband has been away but he’s back tonight, I never sleep well when he is away) so I’m tired and confused.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter whether my scales are true or not, whether my eating a bit too much contributed to the plateau or if I would have had one anyway. The plan is to tighten up the calories again and stick to the BSD. I totally agree with Maharani, we have control of what we put in our mouths and can’t keep making excuses if we ever want to get healthy. Excuses are what got us to our starting weights.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am good today … well within the 800.

The walking after eating article reminded me of another article that worked for me …. as i am retired and it is easy for me to follow (not as easy when you have working hours to maintain)
    It was
    Can changing your mealtimes make you healthier?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35290671

I had gotten away from that but i think i am going to get back to at least a 12 hour fast … as if i was going for a Blood Sugar fasting reading.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I haven’t really been trying for a particular fasting period but I nearly always have dinner by 7 and no evening snack, then breakfast after 9 when everyone else has left for the day, so that is 14 hours.

Food plan for the day:
    B: yoghurt and raspberries
    L: chicken stir fry
    D: beef casserole

• posted by Natalie
    on

I did much better today, stuck to the plan and finished on 827 calories and 42g carb.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning Day 19. Weighed same as yesterday (well what I decided was yesterday’s weight, I had several choices) 80.7 kg.

Today’s plan:
    B: yoghurt and passion fruit
    L: rotisserie chicken and salad
    D: salmon and roast veges

I need to buy some more jeans today, I wear them every day in cool weather. I wanted to wait until I’d lost more weight, but they are fraying at the seams! Also I’ve lost just enough that they are sagging and bagging in a very unflattering way. Off to the shops.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Today’s plan is pretty simple …. just coffee and cream. i think i will just do a total fast until tomorrow. Since i have done a 3 week fast 1 day is just fine.

Soup is in the fridge if i decide to have some. Did take a nap in the afternoon so that took care of that. Been so constipated i’ve been thinking of doing a colonic since there is a new natural health/chinese medicine place available with a 10 minute bus ride, but for now a massive dose of exlax …. i feel so much better as i’ve had my shoulder problem and a headache for days now.

How is everyone else doing today???

• posted by Natalie
    on

I bought my new jeans, probably the first time in my life I haven’t had to have then altered! They are “crop” length which on most people is mid-calf but on me is normal jean length!

I was able to squeeze into a size 14, which I was pleased with, but it made a very unattractive muffin top. I considered getting them to shrink into but decided I need something I can be comfortable and attractive in right now, not a few weeks. We’re heading into summer and by the time they would fit me well I’d probably be wearing shorts every day anyway. I bought the 16 which I can sit down in.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Ah Natalie ….. fitting into jeans sounds so great!!! Even a size 16 …. i don’t even fit my size 20 stretchy ones.

On of my goals is black skinny leg jeans!!

Alas winter is almost here …. i packed away all my summer shorts!! Of course i won’t fit them next summer!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie – great news about the jeans. I did the same in August and bought jeans that fitted. Have since lost a stone but as long as I wear a belt they still look ok.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Shalimar
    Have you tried chia seeds? I have started adding them to my diet and they have got things moving again.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Oh …. i ate about 1/2 cup of chia seeds …. and then some … i just eat them straight up. Chew and swallow with some liquid.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I finished the day on 855 calories 42g carbs which I think is good. Weekend coming up, always a bit more challenging as I have family dinners and a husband who likes baking!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning Day 20. My weight went down again so I really do seem to be over the plateau, thank goodness. Even though I knew it was normal and lots of people go through it, it was still quite disheartening.

Plan for Saturday:
    B: yoghurt with a cheek of mango (first of the season, special treat)
    L: steak sandwich without the bread (elements just eaten separately)
    D: lamb chops, fried zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower with cheese

• posted by shalimar
    on

How’s everyone doing?

KrysiaD πŸ˜‰ Maharani kitten πŸ™‚ Natalie πŸ™‚ Lara πŸ™‚ Determinedthistime πŸ™‚ and everyone πŸ™‚ HUGS HUGS

Just coffee so far for me. Still have my low cal, low carb soup available.

Right shoulder still a bit sore … and still have a bit of a headache which seems to be hanging around. Have a family dinner next Sunday … but our family is quite fine with people eating what they want from the assortment and refusing desert and alcohol.

on

Hi Shalimar πŸ˜€ Still busy at work, have been travelling this week, and still really struggling with sleep, though finding the eating plan increasingly easy as my appetite gets used to less food and I get into a routine.

Positively looking forward to weighing on Monday. I’m easily back into my UK size 14 (us 12) jeans and was pondering my multi-sized wardrobe this week as I changed over and stored my summer things and swapped for woollens and boots. Although I threw out my 18s and 20s a few years ago, my trouser wardrobe includes everything from size 12 ‘skinnies’ right up to size 16 boyfriend jeans. Why don’t I feel confident enough to recycle to the charity shop? It’s like admitting I can’t stay slimmer, I need that fallback wardrobe. Hmmmmm. Need to work that one through..
    Good news this weekend is that now the colder, darker mornings and evenings are here in the UK, I don’t want to be out walking morning and evening so I’ve hired a pro rowing machine and installed it in the spare room. It’s Β£35 a month, but worth it to be able to get 90 mins of all-round exercise a day just by climbing the stairs! I’ll still walk at weekends in the daytime but getting up and bundling myself into thermals and rainwear doesn’t appeal! And I’ll finally be able to catch up with that box set of Breaking Bad….

Typing this at 5 in the morning, wide awake..

• posted by shalimar
    on

I actually like the rowing machine myself. Good on you!!

I actually wear out clothes sometimes … but i do give away clothes in good condition. I bought some clothes that i bought just before BSD that are in the charity box. Someone is going to inherit a brand new winter jacket as well … it’s too big and too cold for me … even with a sweater underneath.

It’s not too difficult for me to give away the clothes because i have been purging my house and closets of all sorts of things. It’s a very small house and there just is not very much storage. So i have been throwing stuff out or giving it away over the last 12 months or so …. so it’s been a very long journey … i agree it can be a difficult decision because sometimes in the past i have regained the weight and have been sorry i got rid of stuff.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Sorry you shoulder is still sore Shalimar. Hope it gets better soon.

I like the rowing machine too, if I’m in gym mode.

I’ve been basically the same weight for years, I don’t fluctuate by more than a few kilograms (never lost more than 5 on any diet) so my clothes get worn out not passed on. Determined it will be different this time. I have got a box full of size 12 from probably 10 years ago that I’ve held on to out of hope, who knows if I’ll even still like them? We moved a year ago and decluttered a lot then but I’m not a fashionista and mostly I only have clothes I’m using regularly, I never shop for clothes unless I have to! Just before Christmas I always go looking for a couple of pretty shirts to wear for the first time on Christmas and Boxing Day (with shorts). Then they last me as everyday wear for a couple of years.

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi everyone. It’s a beautiful day in Melbourne today – sunshine and blue skies after weeks of grey, wet weather. Amazing the difference the weather can make on your mood!

Week 3 has been really good for me. I’ve lost 2.8kgs this week for a total of 6.3kgs in 3 weeks! Whoohooo! That’s 7.2% of my starting weight. I lost more this week than in week 1, so absolutely thrilled. I’m now at 80.9kgs and can’t wait to smash out of the 80 zone. The weight loss was fairly steady throughout the week. I kept expecting (dreading) the bounce back, but luckily it didn’t come.

Natalie & Maharani Kitten – I’m having similar clothing issues! My work skirts & pants are getting baggy and looking a bit sloppy, but I’m in between sizes at the moment! I have some “skinnier” clothes that are about 8 years old that I bought the one and only other time I lost a significant amount of weight (14kgs in 6 months with JC, which I put back on very quickly when I went off their food – it didn’t teach me anything about preparing my own meals!). I’m trying to make do with my current wardrobe for a few more weeks, but proper fitting clothes do make me feel better (especially when they’re smaller sizes :-)). What is great is that clothes I was bursting out of 3 weeks ago are now fitting properly!

Shalimar – hope the shoulder is feeling better. I’ve read that eating too many chia seeds can actually lead to constipation and bloating. 1/2 a cup seems a lot to me, but not sure how many you usually eat? I tried a colonic years ago. Didn’t do much for me, but do recall feeling quite queazy afterwards, which they did warn me about.

Good luck everyone with your week 3 weigh ins – we’re almost halfway!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lara – great news about the weight loss this week.

Shalimar
    I have also just read that chia seeds soak up so much water in your digestive system that they can make constipation much much worse. I have started soaking them first before adding them to soups and stir fries and it does seem to help with faster transit times. It is amazing how much water they soak up.

I always kept all my larger clothes in the past – and was always pleased I had. This time is the first time I have packed up my larger clothes and taken them to a local charity. It was such a good feeling.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Re: chia seeds …. i usually only eat 1 teaspoon!! But i was trying out more chia in case it worked!!

Congrats on the weight losses everyone!!

Think my calories is okay today, just coffee and soup … a little high on the carbs because of lots of lentils for the fibre!! Probably won’t get to the gym and a scale for a couple of days yet.

• posted by Natalie
    on

After dinner I am at 814 calories and 29g carb but I’m going to have a couple of squares of dark chocolate as well tonight.

I have resisted so many temptations today! Weekends are always hard. My daughter’s school had a big carnival, she played (clarinet) in the school band. There were so many stalls with home-baked cakes and goodies. And it was well into lunchtime before we left so I was hungry. But there were no healthy lunch options so I held out until we got home.

And then after we all got hot and sweaty doing some gardening in the muggy afternoon, my husband decided it was time for ice cream. Not just scoops from the freezer at home, he went out and bought my favourite Magnums! I didn’t have one, I went and sat in another room. As long as I keep resisting, I’ll be fine!

• posted by shalimar
    on

OMG Natalie ….. that’s some great resistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.