Started on 1st Jan 2017?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Hi,
    I started the BSD on 1st January. Are they any fellow New Years Day starters to share success stories (or struggles!) with?
    I am weighing in on a weekly basis (Saturday mornings). After 3 weeks I had lost 11.5 lbs which was very encouraging. I really need to lose between 40 – 45 lbs.
    So far it has not been too much of a struggle. I occasionally crave a glass of wine, or some peanut butter and marmite on toast but make do with a glass of sparkling water and a couple of raspberries!
    I really look forward to my weigh-ins, but know that there may be weeks that the weight doesn’t come off, however well you think you have done – not looking forward to that.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Hi All,
    Four week weigh-in yesterday. I have lost a further 4 lbs, making a total of 15.5 lbs since 1st January. I’m really pleased with this, averaging just under 4 lbs a week. I don’t think my weight loss is quite as dramatic as some on the forum in the first four weeks, but I haven’t been counting calories/carbs religiously, and some meals that I have been having with the family are as I used to have before the diet, just without the potatoes/rice/pasta etc. Also I am still far too sedentary in my largely desk-bound job, and know that I must start to get more active.
    I should say I am not type 2 diabetic, but the diet seemed do-able for me, more than any other diet I have tried in the past.
    My goal for next week is to lose the 3 lbs that would take me to 12.5 stone, which I have not been for 10 – 12 years. My ultimate goal would be to get to 11 stone (and then maintain it!!).
    Yesterday I tried on some medium sized coats in Debenhams and was able to fit into them ( have been buying large for too long), so that was a real buzz!
    Keep going everyone!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you are craving salty things like peanut butter or marmite but don’t want to use up calories you may just be short of salt. On one of the other threads people have suggested just having a few crunchy salt crystals instead and the cravings go away. 4 lbs a week is a fantastic rate of weight loss, well done. I relate to the trying on coats feeling. Spotted a lovely turquoise and gold anorak/blouson style jacket in a local charity shop, almost put it back on the rail when I saw it was XS size, but tried it on and it fitted perfectly! I am skinnier I think than I have ever been, as I have never before been lower than a size 12/medium. This way of eating really is life transforming and you will meet your goals. I also relate to the desk bound sedentary job, and have started running up stairs whenever possible, and going the long way round, including running up an extra floor worth of stairs, after going to the loo. All I need to do now is get myself motivated to go for a walk every lunchtime, and I might edge closer to making 10000 steps each day.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch, good advice on the salt. A new wardrobe could get expensive, but I am resisting any purchase until I reach my goal, although suits/trousers may start looking a bit baggy before then!

• posted by Clarity50
    on

Hi, this is my first time on the BSD and I started on the 01st Jan along with my usual dry January. I have had great weight loss in the first three weeks totalling 25lb however this week I have hit a brick wall and lost 0lbs. I am going to the gym three times a week but doing the same thing so I think I need to mix it up a bit. Perhaps my body is getting used to it, no cravings thank goodness and not missing the carbs. If anyone else hit a brick wall let me know what you did to get moving again.
    Regards
    Sue

• posted by topcac
    on

A stall in weight loss is completely to be expected. It’s just your body adjusting and we have virtually all been through it at one point or another in the first 1-6 weeks – 25lbs in January is completely bonkers amazing so give yourself a break and let your body catch up – good luck and stay strong

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great loss Clarity!!! If you are still struggling in a week or so, try checking your carb intake, as some foods you wouldn’t expect to be, are surprisingly high in carb. Also make sure your hydration is okay.

I wouldn’t panic though, you have done tremendously well to date and it will come right again soon.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Crikey, Clarity, what a fantastic loss in just three weeks – I’d be happy with that at the end of my 8 weeks!!!

I am only on day 1 of week 3, and I had a great loss of 8lbs in my first week, but I’ve hit the wall since my week one weigh in and 8 days later haven’t lost any more, not even inches, despite being really strict. Everyone hits a plateau at some time or other, and I was prepared for this, but wasn’t expecting to hit it after only one week, so you have been lucky that you got to week 4 before it hit!

Sadly no advice on how to break through again, other than hydration and to keep on keeping on, which is what I am doing, in the hope that this week I will see another good loss, particularly as I go away next weekend for 10 days.

But congratulations on your loss so far – as Topcac says, totally bonkers amazing 🙂

• posted by Clarity50
    on

Thanks for all the comments, I have not wavered at all as I am really enjoying the food and the exercise which was none existent prior to Jan. I will give myself a break and think you are right about the giving your body time to adjust, I was astounded at the initial weight loss but I think it also shows how much rubbish I must have been eating before.

Cheers
    Sue

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Well done everyone. My five week weigh-in was the morning. I’ve lost another 3 lbs which makes a total of 18.5 lbs which I am really chuffed with. I think I will need to keep going on the 800 calories for more than the 8 weeks to reach my goal weight, or I could take a bit of a break from it and raise calorie intake to 1200 – 1500 calories and then start again for another push. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Carry on for 10-12 weeks without a break? On 1200 calories I ought to still lose weight, even if only a pound a week.
    Had fun going around Sainsbury’s this morning hitching my trousers up all the time. Need to make a new hole in my belt!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Chunkyd – that’s a really impressive loss in just 3 weeks. 🙂

Made me laugh, you having fun hitching your trousers up in Sainsburys – guess we all take pleasure in these little things which are proving how well we are doing. You need to make a new hole in your belt. I don’t wear belts but I have noticed this week that I need to make a new hole in my watch strap 🙂 And I’d never even thought of myself as having fat wrists! 😉

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Thanks Theodora. It’s actually been 5 weeks, so not quite as impressive a s 3, but very happy nonetheless. How are you getting on with yours?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Sorry Chunkyd – I must have misread. It’s me that’s been doing it 3 weeks – week 3 day 6 for me, and 12lbs down so far 🙂 Sorry for my mistake – but still a fantastic achievement, so well done you. 🙂

• posted by Clarity50
    on

Hi Chunkyd

I think you are right, after the 8 weeks either increase you daily intake for a week or two and then reduce it again, or even transfer to the 5:2 version, that is the way I am going after my 8 weeks. Stick to it solidly for 5 days and allow a few carbs to creep in over the weekend without going mad.

However if you are still losing and do not feel hungry then it may be worth to keep going until things slow up.
    Good luck with whatever you decide

Regards

Sue

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi chunkyd
    A lot of us continued after the 8 weeks on the 800 cals without taking a break and it’s not a problem.
    Best thing to do is to keep going until you’ve reached your goal, then when you’ve done so, increase your fats, not your carbs. If you increase your carbs, you’ll start putting the weight back in again. Check out Captain Lynne’s posts, she’s lost over 100lbs over roughly 12months and I lost around 32kilos in 25 weeks. Both of us have maintained our losses without reintroducing the carbs.
    Keep posting and let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi chunkyd
    I absolutely agree with LindaA 100%. I have followed the successes of people like Captainlynne and LindaA and many others on this forum by keeping the carbs low on the BSD and on maintenance.

I am now on maintenance and it is actually effortless because I haven’t increased the carbs – just the calories and the fats. I now eat more of the low carb nuts and vegetables and a bit more cheese and bigger portions of oily fish a bit more of my Lindt 90% chocolate – actually a bit more of everything that is BSD friendly.

I have been a successful loser in the past – admittedly not as successful as on the BSD as I never got down as low as size 8/10 clothes before. It was always the carbs that put the weight back on at an alarming rate and I often ended up heavier than when I started a diet.

This time I finished the BSD on 10th December and I am now nearly 2lb lighter than I was then. This has never happened to me before. The strange thing is that the longer I keep off the starchy sugary carbs the less appealing they become.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Thank you to Clarity50, Linda A and KrysiaD for your comments and advice. Much appreciated, and I will take everything on board. I figured I might gradually reintroduce some carbs when I am at my goal weight, but from these comments it seems that would be a slippery slope to weight gains.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

SIx week weigh-in this morning. Another 2 lbs lost making a total of 20.5 lbs! Very pleased, but slightly disappointed that the rate of loss is dropping a bit, but may be to be expected.
    A bit of ‘man-flu’ this week so maybe less moving around had a part to play. Also my daughter and I made the delicious chocolate, pear and brazil nut brownies (we used pecans instead of brazils – allergy in the family) which went down well with everyone. I only had one, with a small dollop of greek yoghurt, but still around 200 calories I probably shouldn’t have had. It would have been rude not to try one though.
    Still haven’t bought any new clothes as I am reluctant to until I reach my goal weight, but Coco the Clown springs to mind when I wear any of my trousers at the moment. Smaller waist trousers that I kept in the wardrobe have long since been donated to charity.
    Starting weight – 13 stone 11.5 lbs. Current weight 12 stone 5 lbs. This week’s goal would be to lose 3 – 4 lbs, and the goal for the end of the 8 weeks would be to below 12 stone. My end goal weight is 11 stone, although before started this diet, I would have said 11.5 stone was fine.
    Keep going everyone, lots of inspiring posts across the forums.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Seven week weigh-in this morning and only 1 lb lost this week. This makes a total of 21.5 lbs, so a stone and a half is great, but a bit disappointed with the diminishing returns of the last few weeks. BMI now 26.9.
    I’m still probably not drinking enough water and certainly not getting enough exercise so I guess these are valid reasons why the weight loss has slowed.
    One more week to go, but I recognise it doesn’t stop there!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi chunkyd – weight loss on the BSD is not linier and there will be ups and downs. At least you are reporting a loss not a gain, so all in the right direction. Stick with is, increase your hydration and you might well finish the eight weeks on a greater loss. Good luck 🙂

• posted by Clarity50
    on

Hi Chunkyd,
    l agree with the other comments any weight loss is a plus but I can definately recommend exercise. I joined the local gym in line with starting the BSD on the 01/01/17. I go on average 4 times a week straight from work, it has impacted on my weight loss. My week 6 weigh in was 12st 13lb down 34 lb from where I started. While the food has had an impact the exercise has made it more substantial. I do an hour each time do feel better for it.

Whatever you chose to do keep doing it you are well on the way to your target.

All the best

Sue

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Thanks Sunny B and Sue. Agreed, downwards is positive and I should not be too downhearted.

Sue – I joined a gym a couple of years and for a while went three times a week. I’m still a member but not making nearly enough use out of it. Can I ask – do you feel like you need to eat more on the level of exercise you are doing?

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Well, it was my 8 week weigh in on Saturday. After a slow few weeks I lost 3 lbs in my ‘final’ week to make a total of 24.5 lbs lost since 1st Jan which I am delighted with. Apart from one small glass of red wine on Saturday evening to celebrate, I aim to continue until I have lost another 8 or 10 lbs (I am currently 12 stone 1. If I can get to 11 stone 6 I will be in the ‘healthy’ BMI range for my height.

If you had asked me on 1st January if I would still be happy on this diet after 4 weeks (let alone 8 weeks) I would have laughed. Now, to be more than happy to continue on beyond 8 weeks is amazing!

I have a blood test end March and a doctor’s appointment early April to review the tests and see where I am after the diet, so I don’t want to make any wrong steps between now and then.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Nine weeks in to the diet. Lost another 2 lbs in my ninth week. I am now 11 stone 13 lbs, the first time I have been below 12 stone for close to 20 years!

Total loss is now 26.5 lbs. Another 10 lbs loss would be my goal I think but I keep changing my mind on that.

Started back at the gym yesterday. Need to work on fitness.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

No weight loss to report at the end of week 10 last Saturday. Probably not helped by several large glasses of red wine over the course of the previous weekend and a bottle of beer at a gig on Wednesday. Also water consumption needs to improve, along with the exercise as I have mentioned before!

I have decided to weigh daily now so that I can see what effect my eating/drinking/exercise (or lack thereof) has on my weight. Pleased to report 3/4 of a pound loss since yesterday, helped (I assume) by plenty of water being drunk and some exercise yesterday evening, or just my body doing what it wants to do. I am so pleased to have lost 27.25 lbs since 1st January, and now keen to push towards a total 40 lb loss (to be 11 stone). I have definitely been more lax since the 8 weeks were completed, so I will need to get back to the stricter regime to kick start again, or I could go 5:2 and accept a slower loss.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

The mini plateau has ended! Lost 3 lbs in my 11th week, and the scales show a further 1lb since yesterday. I have now lost 75% of the weight I want to lose, so very happy at the moment. This week I have been making more of an effort with drinking water, which I think must have been one of the factors in the good weight loss this week.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Another 1 lb loss last week which keeps things moving slowly in the right direction. Another 3 lbs and I will be in the ‘healthy’ BMI range! Blood test on Tuesday and seeing Doc about results a week later. Last time I saw him I was about 30 lbs heavier than I am now!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That looks like a fabulous result, your doctor won’t recognise you! Congratulations, and I am sure the next BMI milestone won’t be long now.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Thank you Mixnmatch! Yes, looking forward to reaching that BMI milestone as my next mini-goal.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Saw the Doctor yesterday after blood tests last week. The liver reading (sorry, should be more technical) is down from 61 at the end of 2016 to mid 20s. Cholesterol is down from 5.90 to 4.55. All other levels ‘normal’. BP yesterday was 134/86 from 160/120 in December 2016! I suggested that any of his patients looking for a good weight loss plan would do well to look at the BSD but maybe they are not allowed to recommend anything specific for fear of come-back.

Today I entered into the ‘healthy’ BMI range which has been my most recent mini-goal. Another 6lbs to go!!

Keep going everyone.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Congratulations on reaching your mini-goal, I am sure the last 6 pounds will be gone shortly and then all you have to do is stay there! I am sure some GP’s are already recommending this diet or similar ones, and I am sure more will in the future, as soon as they catch up with the science.

Please log in or register to post a reply.