Started 29th May 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Yes, net carbs are those left when fibre is deducted. I hope everyone is doing well and don’t forget how important it is to keep drinking the water. Many a slowdown in weightloss has been cured by just upping the water intake, but remember to add a little salt to what you eat as well, particularly in hot weather.

• posted by ruthydoo
    on

Lovely, thanks for that Mixnmatch – going great guns and desperately trying to drink loads – one of my favourite drinks is cold fizzy water with half a squeezed lemon in and a bucket full of ice – sooo refreshing! I think I have counteracted the withdrawal headaches I get whenever I cut all the nasties out of my diet simply by drinking loads. Amazing the little tips you pick up from people on here!

• posted by Chasing_Lions
    on

Hows everyone doing today?

Tried to change things up for breakfast and had scrambled egg. Can’t say I massively enjoyed it but it was something different.

Had sausage and cauliflower mash last night. The mash wasn’t my favourite but it wasn’t awful either.

Todays lunch is Butternut squash soup (Not the best choice with this warm weather but it should be filling) and thinking of having Moroccan meatballs and courgettie for dinner.

Anyone got any good suggestions for breakfast. As you can tell I love the no carb bircher as its quite fuss free but would like to try some new things. I’m thinking yogurt, seeds and fruit for a change but tell me what you are loving.

on

One of the bosses bought me a whippy Ice cream from my favourite place (They are huge and only cost £1) so I have been a little naughty but boy it was worth it!

I had the usual for breakfast and lunch. Thinking of making some almond pancakes tomorrow and then I’m at a wedding after lunch so I will have to find something quick and healthy or have pancakes for brunch instead.

Hubby made a gorgeous thai green curry last night with courgettie (He’s so good to me) and it was soooo yummy.

Have found a workout routine I’m planning to start on Monday. It’s a 90 day thing and quite intense but easily modified to be less so which I think will work well for me and help me loose more. Planning on doing it in the evening so i have less time to be tempted to snack.

• posted by Susanna949
    on

I’m not sure where I should post in the forums as I’ve just finished week one, so I hope I’m okay here.

I’ve kept 50 calories either side of the 800 per day and have lost 7.8 lbs (@3.5 kg), so I’m thrilled with this. Most of the bad stuff in the house has been given away, but I will order the recipe book as I think I need to be better prepared.

I’m having virtually no carb cravings which is wonderful as that’s my downfall. I did have leg cramps a few nights but from the advice in the forums I upped my salt intake last night and they vanished. Looking through the forums daily is great motivation in itself, so thanks to everyone who posts such helpful info.

Anyways, am feeling very gung ho about being able to complete the 8 weeks and beyond.

• posted by ruthydoo
    on

Well done, Susanna – I have a dreadful habit (well used to have it) of needing to eat up anything “naughty” in the house before the day is done – so any crisps, biscuits, cake etc which may not even belong to me is fair game for consumption and I just never seemed able to settle unless I knew everything was gone – totally crazy! So good planning is absolutely crucial to see you through those potentially wobbly moments. Even crackers and crispbreads weren’t safe – at least my poor daughter isn’t a foodie like me or they’d be niceties for her to eat in the house!!!

• posted by shubz
    on

Excellent stuff Susanna. Oh, those days of feasting on Junk food – Crisps, cakes and anything really in sight. Seems like a lifetime away. Now that three weeks are done, food wise I am so much more in control of what I take in. Haven’t touched all those things, and the cravings are gone…

Hope everyone is doing well. So three weeks in, feeling quite good. Had a bunch of cramps and a little bit of dizzy spell, last couple of days. Doc asked to cut the BP meds, and up my salt intake. Here are my numbers.

Day 1 : 725 Cal, 135 fasting mg/dl, 87.4 Kg
    Day 2 : 594, 91, 86.5
    Day 8 : 750, 140, 83.8
    Day 15: 640, 112, 82.5
    Day 22 : 710, 120, 80.9

So about 6.5Kg or one stone down. More importantly both fasting and pp stable without insulin or my cocktail of medication. And energy levels are great, sleeping well too.

on

Hey all!

I am slightly wilting in this heat but loving the sunshine so I refuse to complain.

I had a bad weekend for BSD but a much healthier weekend by my old standards. We had a BBQ and I couldn’t resist the doritos! I didn’t have any bread though and had salad with my burger and sausage (and small cider). I may have had an ice cream as well…..

I didn’t have chance to weigh myself yesterday but I was nearing the stone off mark about friday.

All I want today is water and ice cream but I shall resist the sweets and persevere.

Feeling determined not to let bad habits beat me!

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Well I’m back….

Been a bit of a full blown week! Arrived at accident and emergency on Tuesday on doctors orders and was taken straight in. Electrolytes were still very low and I had so many blood test that I resembled a pin cushion. My veins began to quit under the pressure, actually moving away at one point. Go veins!

Full mot with ecg, chest x-ray and urine check. Finally released after 5 hours on a trolley and boy did my back ache!
    I couldn’t stand for more than 20 minutes for the whole of the next day.

Had to go back on the Friday to have my levels checked and I was just about the lower level limit, which I was happy with.

Now for the bad news, they insisted that while I had done well on bsd in reducing my bs levels, they insisted I start metformin at 500mg twice a day. I’m resigned to it now for a while but long term I’m determined to get rid! They also want to scan my heart, pancreas and kidneys for any damage, so I’m waiting for that to come through!

I kept more or less to the principle of bsd throughout but was forced to up my calories for a week or so, but stuck to 1400 or less. I’m gradually reducing it now and it will hit 934 today. Despite all of this I have maintained at 10lbs down since I started, so I’m happy!

I’m off work this week with a planned “staycation” and have used the time to deep clean the house. I must be mad on this weather!! I have about 8 bags of stuff to go to the charity shop which they are collecting 1st weekend in July. I haven’t had this much energy in years!!

I’m also interspersing all this activity with some much needed “me” time with massages, facials and manicures all booked in and finishing up on Saturday with a hair cut and colour. I shall be a new woman when I return to work next Monday. (Stress fix massage today. Bliss!!)

Also exciting as new shorts and vests arrived from next today. UK Size 14 no less!! Well chuffed with that!

So, that’s my update for now, apart from melting in this heat!!!

Lee xx

on

God. I just served up salted caramel cake to my father. It’s my favourite and that was really hard!
    Looked it up. Just 720 calls per slice…I was actually tempted for about 30 seconds. Well it is my birthday on Saturday!

on

Welcome back Lee! Glad you are mostly ok and well done for sticking at it through it all! You are an inspiration! Oh and Salted Caramel Cake?! ……I’m actually drooling at the thought! We must resist though (well i’m sure it will be fine for your birthday! )Your staycation sounds amazing!

I’ve found this week quite hard to be honest. I’ve had so much temptation and the heat has made me lazy in regards to food and it’s been a stressful week too….

I’ve been having greek yogurt for breakfast this week with toasted seeds and other toppings. Still craving sugar like crazy but I’m guessing the occasional ice lolly in this heat is probably to blame.

I’m glad its cooler today. I have a chicken salad for lunch which I’m looking forward too. I fancy something like fish cakes with sweet chilli dipping sauce for dinner but not sure what I’ll actually go for.

Time to search the recipe archives for inspiration

on

Hey chasing lions, I know what you mean about the heat. I haven’t felt like eating at all. Even the idea of preparing a salad seemed too exhausting! I have resorted to a few cherry Pepsi max with tons of ice. I know it’s not ideal but it has helped me deal with things like salted caramel cake, so going to stick with it!

Today I can declare myself normal, whatever that is! The top weight for my height is 11 stone 1lb and today I hit 11 stone exactly….still got 20lbs to go to get to where I want to be but it almost feels achievable now..

Fish cakes sounds good. I have some crab I need to use today, so might go with something similar. What did you have in the end?

L xx

on

Well done Lee! I would love to be a size 14 again!

I had a Chicken curry in the end with cauli rice.

Tonight is fishcakes and salad though!

Yesterday I had some lovely Moroccan cauli rice from Morrisons. I ate with ham, fried egg and a mushroom. Defiantly going to buy that rice again and try some different options with it as a quick dinner when I can’t be bothered to prepare anything.

I’ve had a very good day sticking to plan. Hoping I can keep it up! Determined to shift this weight and know I can do better than I have been.

Got a nice long walk in on Saturday with the kids. I’ve been feeling a little bloated due to that time of the month which explains all the cravings for certain sweets last week.

on

Haven’t tried cauliflower rice yet but that sounds like a lovely filling meal..,

Off to reflexology in an hour. It’s so cold right now, I could do with some really bad comfort food! But only got 174 cals for the rest of the day…

Damn these cravings!!!

on

Hey guys, all quiet on this front.

Hope you are all ok? We are a month in (well 5 weeks for me) and I’m pretty happy with the way it has been going. Would be thrilled to have some updates from you all

L 💋

on

Hello Lee,

I’m doing ok. Weight coming off has been stubborn but I’ve managed to shed two inches off my hips which feels awesome.

Attacking this week with more determination and think I’m going to carry on with this an extra 2 weeks to make up for the 2 bad weeks lol.

My hubby said he’s noticed a change in me. He said I have more energy and seem happier. People are starting to ask if I’ve lost weight as well which is good because it means that the change is showing.

My daughters sports day today and a thousand other things going on at work = stress central! Trying to keep these cravings under control and not drink too much coffee. Doesn’t help that some international guests have turned up today with sweets and chocolates.

on

Hey you, glad you are ok! Do you think we are the only ones left?

I’ve been doing great. Not strictly 800 per day but I’m kind of listening to my body. Sometimes I need more, sometimes less, so I reckon it all balances out. I had a bit of a whoosh this week. 9lbs off! Genuinely don’t understand how as I’m now a healthy weight but I will take it!!

Like your hubby says, I have more energy and more get up and go! But oh the temptations I face in the office each day are ridiculous. Cake and biscuits everywhere, so I feel your pain!

Off to Ireland for the weekend. I suspect I will see a gain. I will stick to bsd principles where I can, but inevitably there will be lapses. I’m not prepared to offend by elderly aunts by refusing the homemade soda bread they delight in serving me, even though I’ve always hated it! That will be hard, breaking for something I don’t enjoy!! At least I can have a full Irish every morning (minus toast) and still be bsd!!

Today, I’ve had to endure that age old phenomenon. Example:

Lee, you’ve lost so much weight now, you need to stop (turns to colleague doesn’t she Maria?) Maria nods quietly. All helpfully shouted across a busy ward.

Lee. You’ve lost so much weight, is it intentionally or are you ill? Do we need to worry about you?

Lee. You’ve lost so much weight since I last saw you. How much have you lost? Lee replies (about two stone) Yeah they say, and the rest. Are you ok?

Lee. Are you eating enough? You don’t look well. Is everything ok?

Lee. You need a cake. Go on, have a cake. It’s homemade.

All day. Seriously all day!! Why do people feel that it’s appropriate to do that? I ended up leaving work early just to get away from the constant harassment!! May well work from home tomorrow….

So glad you are still around. I shall be extending as well, due to Ireland blip, so we can do this together.

Hope the stress calms down soon!

L xxx

• posted by StJames
    on

It’s super quiet in here as of late!

Hope everyone is doing well. So 2 days into week 6 and it’s going well so far. Had a total loss of 35lbs and still moving along at 4/5lbs a week which is great I’m thinking 24 weeks at this rate I’ll be at goal weight if not before hand.

Iv deffinatly found it’s easier and easier to fast for longer periods of time (last week due to extended working hours and choice) I managed 24 hours and didn’t feel any ill effects.

Iv also noticed the ‘softening’ of the fat on my body (can’t remember who mentioned that as fats being used for energy it’s solidity breaks down and becomes soft) so I’m hoping with an uptake in water it will pass through nicely.

Up until the last 2/3 days iv been super diligent in my water intake but I need to get back on it tomorrow and start drinking more again! I think being flat out busy meant it took a back seat but no more!

Otherwise all going well, long may it continue!!!!

on

StJames that is a brilliant result. You must be well chuffed with yourself.

I’m back after a short break in Ireland and I brought back a 3lb gain 😱 Course I know it could have been far worse. I usually indulge heavily in the alcohol and food while at home but did try to reign it in this time. Back on the plan today, so suffering a bit with hunger pangs but like you I managed quite long fasts when I was in the zone, so looking forward to getting back there. Got 14lbs to go now, so starting another 8 week cycle.

Hope everyone else on here is ok. You’re right, it’s gone v quiet!

L xx

on

Sorry guys I’ve been so busy at work. I’ve not managed the calories well this last week or so however I’ve stuck to the BSD principles which is a plus I guess.

My kids have come down with chickenpox this week as well so next few days could be interesting.

I’m also craving cucumber which is a nice change to the sugar cravings.

on

That’s a good craving to have!

I’m just back from Ireland. My aunts baked for me (and I coped) I had a few drinks one night (which was inevitable) but they did deal quite well with a non drinking Lee which surprised me….
    My cousins ranged from saying “you look fabulous, keep it up” to “are you ill?” “Do you have an eating disorder?” “Eat some bread for goodness sakes” 🤣
    Just under 3lbs on 😱 I know it could have been so much worse but it’s disheartening nonetheless. I shall be back in Galway on 7th September and I’m determined to be under 10 stone by then. I’ve got time for a full 8 week cycle of bsd, so it’s achievable if I attach myself to the wagon again 😳😇😈
    Just waiting for Waitrose to deliver my lovely healthy food. But I may have a pack of stunning Irish sausages to use up first…

L xx

• posted by StJames
    on

Hey all,

So tomorrow marks the end of week 7.
    This weeks been a weird one because until this morning despite living by the book the scales told me I had gained weight. I had a magical whoosh last night and woke up this morning to find i have lost a total of 42lbs (3 stone) which I’m most pleased about. I have about another 3 stone to go to reach my goal weight. Throughout this initial 8 weeks I havnt really exactly measured my intake but I’m going to maximise my weight loss over the next run of 8 weeks by measuring my exact carb and protein intake.

on

Whoop whoop StJames. 👏👏👏 that’s an amazing result. You have done brilliantly.

I’ve only lost 25lbs so far but I’m well pleased with that. I’m officially a normal weight now and aiming for another 10lbs or so to get me to 9.5 stone which will give me “wiggle” room for hols etc.

I’m back to Galway on 7th September, so that’s my goal date and I may indulge a bit then. I’m not looking forward to maintenance. I suspect that will be harder. I’ve calculated that to maintain my tdee is 1500 calories 😱 I think I will have to log all my food for a long while to come….

on

Well done guys! You are such an inspiration!

I’m approaching this week with renewed determination and focus. Going to try to properly count calories this week rather than hazarding a guess lol! May even actually plan some meals properly too!

Had yogurt with strawberries and blueberries today and have a ham salad for lunch. Tonight will be yesterdays roast beef and salad as well (because I need to eat up the salad and I am too tired to cook today)

I’ve strawberry and blueberries in my water infuser today and I’m determined today I will meet my water intake target (rather than coffee intake!)

• posted by StJames
    on

So here we are everyone…. the end of our first round of BSD for those that started on the 29th

Started the diet at 18.7stone and now 15stone 4

Total loss in the 8 weeks – 45lbs (3 stone & 3lbs)
    15lbs off in the first week (WOW) and a rough average of 4lbs per week there after.

Really have enjoyed the diet so far and feel a great deal better than I did before. More energy, better quality sleep, more confident etc etc. Iv stuck pretty religiously to the diet ensuring my intake was kept to as close to 800cals as possible with the odd exception of an extra bowl of full fat yogurt and a little fruit if I’m feeling peckish. Iv been 90% there on the water intake which has helped massively!

Plan going forward for the next round of 8 weeks of BSD is to continue as I have done, I want to try and introduce some more physical activity (on top of a fairly physical part time job), I also want to take the advice of some other posters on here that physically count their intake to see if that will help to maximise my weight loss.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the diet too! Everyone post your updates so we can all celebrate our wins and share our experiences over the last 8 weeks.

SJ x

on

Wow! Go you StJames.

That shows incredible determination and resolve. You must be so proud!

I’m starting my second cycle tomorrow. I lost 22lbs in the first cycle and I’m now officially a “normal” weight 😊 So I’m happy with that.

I’ve slept better and definitely had more energy most of the time. Had a very lazy day today though 😈

My goal for the second 8 weeks is 10lbs. That would get me below 10 stone. I started at 11 stone 9lbs and I’m now 10 stone 3lbs. I think the 10lbs is realistic in 8 weeks but we shall see. Have spent a fortune on some new work clothes. I was beginning to look like a bag lady and nowt wrong with celebrating my new shape either….👗👠

Would love to hear how others have done too.

L xxx

• posted by shubz
    on

Hey Guys,

Amazing stuff St James and really awesome Lee !!

Sorry, been away for a while from the forum. Work had me in Korea for 4 weeks. It was tough there with an expense account, some awesome food on offer and all that. But luckily, the self control (that I didn’t know existed) still won out. Those bakeries, ice cream shops, fine dines were left behind without so much as a splash of regret. This thing has changed me in immeasurable ways. Had one day that I busted 800 calories, but kept with the diet, the weight measurements and blood sugar readings.

So the stats. Started at 87.4 Kgs, Ended at 73.1Kg. 14Kgs. 5 inches less rounder. Michelin tyres seem like not being replaced. HBa1c from 10 to below 7. Fasting from 300 mg/dl to 90 mg/dl. Off Insulin, BP and cholesterol meds. 13 pills a day to 1 pill. Only maintainence metformin. What was I doing for the last 15 years ???

You guys were amazing. I couldn’t write much, but hearing everyone was what kept me going. Especially the times when the knees started to weaken a little bit. So big big thanks.

Now into maintainance mode. First to check how my blood sugar stays as I up the calorie intake to 1200-1500 gradually. Seems like the craving for burgers and ice creams is totally gone for now 🙂

on

Shubz that’s fantastic and perhaps the most inspirational in terms of how you have reduced your medication.

I will be so interested to hear how you do with maintenance. I’ve really only just started on my diabetes journey and seemed to have been abandoned my the healthcare people. My first review cancelled and have not yet had a new one. But if I need to do it myself, I will.

Keep us updated

L xx

on

Hey guys,

Sorry I’ve been awol but been trying to focus hard. Just suck at this whole being disciplined thing. I never manage to stick to diets for long so its a miracle I’ve managed this. I’ve nearly lost my 10% just a couple of pounds to go. Had a few health issues this week that were unexpected but nothing caused by the diet.

• posted by StJames
    on

Hey everyone,

How is everyone’s 2nd round (if applicable) going?
    Had a iffy week last week (I kept perfectly within the bounds of the diet) but my weight just fluctuated for the first time up and down the same 2lbs all week. Thankfully this week I managed to loose 5lbs taking me to a total of 50lbs in 10 weeks so really chuffed with the progress. I have 2.5 stone left to reach goal weight of 12.5 stone. Fingers crossed it keeps moving forward at a good rate.

Hope everyone’s well! Don’t give up!

on

Hey guys!

Hope you are ok chasing lions? It’s tough doing this with health concerns as well (I know and still no diagnosis for me and I won’t be seeing consultant till end of September!) Keep your chin up!

StJames, I’m in awe of you! 50lbs is incredible. How your life must have changed in 10 “short” weeks!

I kind of switched it up for my second round as I move toward maintenance as I don’t want to shock my body by going up dramatically when I reach my goal. So I’ve tended to stick to 1000 cals during the week and 1300-1500 at weekends. I’ve kept to bsd principles but have introduced some of the hovis low carb bread. I do love a poached egg on toast!

I’m delighted to report that I continued to lose (albeit at a slower rate) and had a similar battle as you StJames with the same 1.5lbs waving goodbye and then saying hello again!

Today though I kind of hit goal, getting to 138.8lbs or 9 stone 12lbs. I can’t quite believe it. Below 10 was the original aim but I’ve adjusted it now to 9 stone 5lbs. I want to allow “wriggle” room for when life happens but ensure I don’t go above 10 again!

So, my journey continues. I think my body will eventually find its natural way (I hope)

Onwards and downward folks!

L 😘

• posted by StJames
    on

Hey all, I don’t know how many people have stuck at it this far from our initial start on May 29th. Came off the diet a few weeks ago for a few days to relax and enjoy some much needed celebratory time with friends and family and thankfully found it has aided further weight loss. I’m not sitting on a total of 4 and 1/2 stone loss with only a stone and a half to reach my goal weight. I now have to start thinking about maintainence and how to wrap my head around that idea.
    How is everyone else doing? Love to hear about all your successes!
    SJ x

on

Hi SJ!
    I’m still around. Currently about 4lbs from goal of 135lbs. I did hit it in September and then went to Ireland to see family and with a funeral thrown in, managed to gain 9lbs. The first 4lbs came off easily but I’m fluctuating between 138 and 140 at the minute.

I’m working at maintenance now. Still sticking to the principles but with a few more carbs now. I’m trying 1200 cals during the week and 1500 at weekends. I’ve found out that to maintain I’ve got to be around 1500 a day which was quite a shock let me tell you!! I will have to be forever vigilant I think. 😱

You have had amazing success too. You must be so chuffed. What has the family/friends reaction been like. A lot of mine think I’m ill. It’s been interesting to say the least, especially those who keep telling me to stop. Well intentioned sabotage I think 🤣🤣

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Like you, I would love to hear from them.

L xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.