Sourdough bread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ruthleonie
    on

I’ve been on the 5:2 since January and lost 3kilos which has I’m happy about but am hoping to lose faster on the BSD5:2 method. Regarding bread, how safe is sourdough which contains no sugar?
    On another related matter, I realise that commercial bread may have lots of sugar but when I make my own bread there is one teaspoon of sugar in the entire loaf. Is this harmful?

• posted by FoFi
    on

You don’t say how big the loaf is so it is hard to know how bad a teaspoon of sugar is. I presume that it is to ‘feed’ the yeast (I’m not a baker or food scientist so I’m guessing) so maybe it is partially consumed.

The bigger problem will be the flour you are using. All the sourdough breads I have eaten seem to contain refined white flour. Is this correct? If so that would be a problem on this diet. Whole grains only, rye bread seems to be okay if it uses whole grain. Others might know of other breads.

Examine your flour.

Please log in or register to post a reply.