Soda Bread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by breadlover
    on

Just started the diet this week and going well so far. The biggest problem I have is giving up the bread. Not had any all week and feeling like maybe I can introduce a little. Is Soda bread a better alternative to normal bread? It says that one slice is 67 cal and 14.6g of carbs. Not sure about how many carbs I am allowed. ???

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi breadlover

the guidance on carbs is that there isn’t a set limit – most people seem to stick to under 50g, others much lower – so just a case of reading labels (and sticking to the amount you planned to eat, rather than sneaking back for another slice)!
    If you use the search function (top right hand corner) there is a thread somewhere on low carb bread.

Some people have made bread – Lucky was writing about bread made with courgettes yesterday, but I haven’t found her post-tasting posts to see if it was a success.

Quite a lot of people make a kind of pancake/flatbread with gram (chick pea) flour, which is pretty easy, you just mix the flour with water (and chuck in some herbs or garlic if your feeling creative!) and fry it.

I had some “protein bread” from euphorium last week – I live close to a couple of euphorium bakeries, but they sell it in larger branches of Tesco too. It was deliciously cakey! I think it is largely rye based.
    When I first started BSD, I had bread substitutes – eg low sugar baked beans with poached egg where I’d normally have toast with it – but don’t feel the need for this now, I have the egg with mushrooms, tomato and avocado.
    I used to eat lots of bread – and as with cakes (and biscuits and less successfully chocolate), I’m trying to use this diet to ‘train’ myself not to automatically eat bread or whatever with nearly every meal just because I always do.
    Non bread alternatives include vegetables (hummus spread on a cabbage leaf is better than it sounds!)

Good luck with it

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Sadly I think the issue with most bread is the refined carbs in the flour which is why BSD says give it up for the 8 weeks.

I agree with Frog. See if you can try and resist it for a bit longer and you may find the craving fades. I gave up sugar in my tea and coffee for this and I am so pleased that I’ve got control over this – and you might find it helpful to get over your bread craving

It’s your version of “carb flu” which some people get when they give up the refined carbs. You get over this quickly and if you can possibly resist the bread I think you’ll be grateful later.

Good luck 🙂

• posted by breadlover
    on

Thank you for the encouraging words everyone. I’m sure I can resist a bit longer. The weight loss and health benefits are worth it. Need to retrain my eating habits.

• posted by Frog
    on

Good idea – worth sticking it a bit longer. the gram flour batter flatbread/pancake is a good substitute, and super easy to make (esp for making up a single portion)

does anyone have suggestions on what to do with peanut butter without bread?
    tesco had my favourite no sugar crunchy one on special offer – so bought a huge jar, without working through the logic that without toast, I was a bit stuffed on the peanut butter front:)
    I nearly did the same with pate at the weekend, but realised and put it back.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

hi breadlover, I miss it terribly but you can manage ( I am in week 6) the gram flour (besan, chickpea) flatbread is nice. Also the coconut flour pancakes. Frog you could put your peanut butter on celery or ‘legal’ pancakes, but I would not be game to eat it as i am sure I would find it hard to eat a little!

I make a seeds and nuts pancake mix, with a bit of everything.and eggs and milk and water like real pancakes The only problem is that I do not know how to measure the cals/carbs, so I just have to make a SMALL one, and hope it is about the same as a similar slice of bread

Good luck

• posted by Bissell
    on

Frog re : peanut butter. I must admit to eating it by the spoonful every now and again, when I’m feeling peckish. I find chewing it for ages ( yes, I know it sounds revolting, but give it a go) leave me thinking I’ve had a whole bag of peanuts. And I mix it 1:2 with cream cheese as a dip for veggie sticks. Or make into a sate sauce with some chilli and soy sauce for poring over chicken or veggies or boiled eggs.
    Mmmmmmm peanut butter!

• posted by Carolg
    on

Frog The peanut butter dip in the book as a lunch is really nice . It’s very filling and I don’t usually eat it all.
    2tbs peanut butter and 1 of cream cheese mixed together. Assorted veg to dip,

• posted by maisiefosse
    on

The latest Hemsley and Hemsley book, ‘Good and Simple’ has 2 great bread recipes. One is for courgette and quinoa loaf, and the other flax seed buns. I have made both very successfully.

Please log in or register to post a reply.