So it’s going to be 1 to 2 lbs lost/ week?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ilovecatsndogs
    on

Hi guys!

I’ve been on the BSD for 6 weeks and lost my 20 lbs. in the first two weeks. Since then, l’ve lost another 5 lbs.

Is it to be expected to now lose only 1 to 2 lbs. per week, like any other diet, even tho we’re on only 800 calories per day?

I read that the BSD diet mimics how much bariatric patients eat after surgery, but they seem to lose a lot more than 1-2 lbs. per week. I know they are heavier to begin with and maybe that’s the reason for the great weight loss.

My aim is to get rid of my prediabetes and lose about 45 more pounds but it does seem discouraging that weight loss will slow down to a crawl. I guess I expected more since this is such a very low calorie diet.

Any thoughts?

• posted by JGwen
    on

The rapid weight loss at the start is because when you are on a carb high diet your body also stores fluid. – Once that phase is over, providing you keep your carb intake down enough to be in fat burning mode it is all down to how many calories you burn against how many you eat each day.

Each lb of fat contains 3500 calories.

People who have surgery tend to be in a far worse condition, with lots more weight to loose. Which means more fluid stored in their bodies and with such high weight that all their movements burn more calories than used by someone with less weight to discard.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Yes 1-2lbs per week seems to be the going rate past the initial ultra rapid weight loss.
    MM book is very deceptive cause I wouldn’t call this rapid weight loss, it’s just the same as any other diet out there. 🤷‍♀️
    I still love the new way of eating though. But I am not much a fan of MM 😛

• posted by Sharan7
    on

I can live with 1-2 lbs loss a week. Especially as the food is so delicious

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Louise! I laughed out loud when I read your post 🙂 Id be GLAD to discard 1-2 lb a week . . . THATS 50-100lb a year!!! and I’d sure as heck be REALLY CROSS if I was PUTTING ON that much 🙂 “Little fish are sweet” = small baby steps! Slowly slowly is a patience lesson but great progress in anyones language. A case of EXPECT and ACCEPT I think 🙂 Dr MM didnt write ANYTHING with only one person, one body shape, illness or set of genetics in mind . . . Im certain of that! Continued good luck with your endeavours 🙂 Quack Quack!.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Yes – too bad I don’t have his book on hand but it did write that you should expect a rapid weight loss in the first 8 weeks. 1lbs a week isn’t rapid, it’s standard with any calorie restriction diet 😉

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi there Cats and Dogs! Id suggest any poor soul needing bariatric surgery would have LOADS of weight to discard . . , otherwise they wouldnt have chosen such a drastic action as surgery in the first place. An elephant would have more weight from which to dispose of, than a cheetah, or a horse than a dog. A 20 stone being probably has more to discard than a 10 stone person. BUT a 20 stone 6’8″ person, isnt as large-looking as a 5’8″ person!!! We must compare apples with apples . . . not watermelons with oranges . . . and here . . . we are all different ages – and sexed – fruits, who have different routines, lifestyles, energy an mobility levels, tastes and appetites 🙂 We really do need to ACCEPT what our bodies give us when they are confronted with this complete turnaround of fuel 🙂 Patience and gratefulness for what we achieve – if we are honestly giving it our all 🙂 With such helpful advice always available here – and I have no idea where else other “dieters” have such valuable info and understanding on tap – we are SO FORTUNATE to have such collective, diverse information available and willing suggestions or answers, while always so well supported in our efforts! Quack! Quack!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

🙂 Well as Ive written before and elsewhere . . . it depends WHY and WHAT individual motives were when undertaking this regime. It isnt for an 8 weeks quick loss . . . to (maybe) look good by the twelfth of never to meet the Queen. Its for life, with a kick start to show you the way – (which is different for everyone!) –
    My concerns about such minor things have diminished markedly over the years and no more than this past few weeks when Ive heard of two YOUNG people/parents – twp separate families – who have died with dreadful suffering and WAY before their time. One woman had to give permission to “turn off the machines”. How confronting. Both have left very small children, no doubt bewildered at their parents disappearance. (Why do I say that? Because my own mother died when I was 4 . . . I know the imprint that event left, and anguish later in life Ive needed to address.) And then today, the freak accident of a tree falling on a car – killing a (50-yo paramedic) mother who had been out with her (20 yo) son. He had to stay there for hours until they were released and the rescuers (first responders) knew them both. NOW . . .
    Whether or not someone lost or gained a pound or two of weight or whether or not expectations were met is miniscule in the scale of life. Maybe we need to take a deep breath and be grateful for whatever our day brings. Maybe Positives Thread needs to be re-visited with reminders of life’s blessings . . . however small. Because life is short – and can be cut shorter at any time. Quack! Quack! from the duckpond where Im contemplating – rather than procrastinating about many things tonight.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi again, Ilovecatsndogs! This process is different for everyone in this community. In my opinion (3 years in!) your rate
    of loss will almost wholely depend on how low you’ve taken the carbs each day. Calories in/calories out isn’t the
    barometer I use, because all calories aren’t created equal. If you are using MM’s recipe book, please be also aware that
    the calories can be off by a large margin, too. At 2 months in I dropped my carbs from about 40g/day to <20g. Doing
    so allowed me to lose 3.5lbs each week for the next 8 months, where I was safely under target weight. It took 10 months in
    total to lose 140lbs, and I’ve maintained the loss by never returning to the carbs. Try not to compare your losses to
    others, because we are all different. If you are willing to do whatever it takes, I promise you that you will get wherever
    you want to go. 🙂 Never underestimate the power of drinking 2-3 liters a day, either..It’s crucial to the process! Best,

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Your post is so apt, Wooduckie — our lives are short and all of us experience painful losses (I’m so very sorry you lost your mom so young). Losing weight is nice, but loving and living and caring for our world are still the most important part of each day. It’s so easy to get lost in the diet “woods”.
    I always try to encourage BSD’rs to not THINK about the diet too much, just set the parameters, follow the rules and let it run.
    There was a lovely quote in the paper yesterday — from poet Raymond Carver —
    “And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved. To feel myself beloved on this earth”

• posted by alliecat
    on

Beautiful, Julia! That’s how I would like to be remembered one day, too…As a beloved person who always had my
    heart open to all who crossed my path… 🙂

• posted by Baxter
    on

In 6 weeks I’ve lost 21lbs, so very similar to Ilovecatsanddogs who started this thread. Given that Michael Morley’s program is about 8 weeks on 800 then to switch to 5:2 or Mediterranean, I reckon that it’s fair to call it a rapid weight loss program – *for that initial period*. I’ve done many diets over the years including Slimming World and WeightWatchers, and only on LighterLife have I lost as much that quickly, and of course that involved no food, only food packs or shakes.
    I think the freedom on the diet clubs regimes to eat free quantities of carbs means that many people struggle to lose weight even though they stick faithfully to the plan. Given that most people know the Health guidance from various governments ie eat your 5 a day and plenty of fibrous carbs, they are going to believe they are on a healthy diet and will be baffled by the lack of results. That leads to “cheating”, (why should I deny myself if it isn’t going to work anyway?) and so a cycle of gains and losses sets in. Those who are insulin resistant are most at risk of further damage to their health, as well as being most likely to fail to see any weight loss.
    As has been said, after the initial fast loss, things do slow down even on a low carb way of eating. I am a daily weigher, and most of the time I think I’ve been stuck on a particular pound number for days. When I look back at my log I usually find it’s been just 3 or 4 days, and then when I look at my food log, I can see I’ve had a lot of protein, or a couple of higher calorie days, perhaps over a weekend. When I get strict with myself again the scales drop again. It’s not exciting like at the start, but looking over a longer period those 1-2lbs a week add up to big loses. I guess we just need to settle down to boring and long term.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Baxter, you must be very pleased with your 6 week results! Brava! My losses were fairly average too, about a stone a
    month. Are you planning to continue on past the 8 weeks as I did, or will you be looking at maintenance? If you are
    approaching the finish line, will you be using the “reverse diet” to get you started in maintenance? I found that plan
    very useful, and it removed some of the anxiety that the 140lbs. would return overnight! How irrational 🙂

Allie

on

Thanks for all the replies! You all are so very uplifting and encouraging and full of knowledge and I appreciate it very much!

Alliecat, you have done amazingly well and maintained it for 3 years!

The carb thing I am working on, as I posted in another thread that I am eating too much veggies so I seem to do best at about 10% carbs. I’m still tweaking things and trying to add more fats by eating oily fish.

I’ll have to say that tho I am a fish lover, I find canned sardines are not so delicious to me (hah! I bought 4 tins) but am thinking to make them into fish jerky instead, tho my pup thinks they’re yummy!

I bought some new keto sticks too, as the older ones weren’t registering or perhaps I am not in fat burning mode.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you sincerely CG 🙂 When the residue from my mother’s passing starting impacting later in life, the fallout was quite an eyeopener 🙂 It was amazing how – and what – it had attached itself to – all from a childhood perspective and no understanding of the event . . . or comprehension of adults’ words then and later. Interesting 🙂 Quack! Quack!

on

WoodDuckie, I can imagine this was true. My older sister is a psychiatrist and she has often said that trauma in early childhood, when we are pre-verbal, has the most impact and has to be processed in a non-verbal way. And my own experience is that losing your mother is awful even when you can verbalise the pain. So for a child, a very difficult thing. Sending you a hug WoodDuckie.

on

Allie, you are already beloved. You make it easy with your open heart.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Again . . . sincere thank you CG 🙂 Im enjoying that nurture from across the world 🙂 I instinctively KNEW by your words you “understood” the language I was explaining 🙂 This event was to later be followed by two step-mums passing – so my dad was widowed three times 🙂 Just relating these life events seems extreme in itself but the layering imprint of the repeats have been indelibly tattooed . . . Glad and so grateful to have drawn to/directed to several people who understand the concept – and who have been able to (collectively) explain and reframe my conceptions and perspectives where such tattoo/s cast shadows 🙂 Never too old to learn and grow – and my emotional growth and understanding of many of my so-called – (past and still some present) – “normal actions and reactions” has been GREAT and SO enlightening n so many ways 🙂 Quack! Quack!

on

So sorry for your loss wood duckie. It’s tough growing up without your mom. Many hugs.

I was separated from my mom from age 6 to my first year of college, because of a nasty divorce, with zero visits or communication and it can definitely cause great scars.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you ilovecatsanddogs 🙂 Your understanding and empathy are heartwarming . . . 🙂 Its the invisible scars of events deemed just that . . . events . . . that are never considered as possibly damaging, relevant to innocent bystanders, nor anticipated as mindbending/altering – and rarely addressed it seems. It is nice to know we are not alone with these invisible scars – many of which WE dont know we have until . . . (something) opens the wounds 🙂 And contrary to what one would think, it can – (and has for me been!) – SO enlightening and empowering to release the unknown misconception 🙂 Bless you my friend and hugs back xxx Duckie xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you for the sweet compliment, Julia (californiagirl) Your sister’s concept of our little selves as being non verbal
    is very interesting! I’ve always thought of that time as when we take in information subliminally. Non verbally puts a
    different perspective on it. Perhaps this is why it is said that our personalities are formed by the age of 4. Nature vs.
    nurture is the eternal question, and one that I never tire of persuing. Much food for thought, and thank you for sharing
    yours 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.