Slowing down weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Perseverance
    on

I started 3 1/2 weeks ago and have stuck to the 800 calorie blood sugar diet and increased activity. I swim 30 mins a day and walk 10000 steps ( some of this playing golf) . Sometimes I use the exercise bike for 20 mins or 10 mins on the 20 second burst system suggested by Dr M Moselely
    I initially lost 3kg but now weight loss is slowing to about 1kg a week despite having upped the exercise and continuing to follow the 800 cals low carb diet. I have the book and recipe book and really haven’t cheated. At this rate I will not lose the average 14K that it is suggested should be achieved.
    Has anyone else found a slow down in weight loss and how can I kick start it again? Starting weight 81kg currently 74.9KG
    Is it harder to lose weight the older you are? I am female age 70

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Hi Perseverance,

Well done on the weightloss so far. My personal thoughts are that your rate of loss is very steady and on track. You are starting from a lower base than many people, and with that into account I wouldnt be concerned about averages.

You are also very active and you may be losing fat and gaining muscle mass. Have you been taking measurements as well? As I know people often find on slower weighloss periods it shows more on the tape measure.

I will be honest I am not sure on the age factor.

Are you drinking plenty of water?

best wishes

• posted by Perseverance
    on

thanks for your reply which has made me feel better.
    How are things for you?

best wishes

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Perseverance
    The thing is, it isn’t helpful to compare to your rate of loss to that of others. Our bodies are all unique and some of us – me included – lose at a slower rate than others. It’s hard to see that on scales when you are expecting more, but if you can embrace and celebrate even the small loses, this process will be easier. I work in pounds rather than kilos, but I would have been delighted with dropping a kilo a week, as – barring the first week on the BSD – I have rarely lost more than a 1.5lb in a week.

Having less to lose than some folks from the outset, will also impact on the rate of lose, but I don’t think that age is a significant factor. There at lots of people on the forum who are older – I’m 61 and I know there are lots of people here older than me – and they are all losing weight successfully on the BSD.

Patience is the key. Keep doing with you are doing and reaping the rewards. You’re doing just great! Best of luck …

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

After the first week I only lost about 1.5 pounds a week as well, I was very close to my target weight at the end and things do slow down when you have less to lose. The averages will be skewed by some who have an awful lot to lose and a lot of it will be fluid retention.

• posted by topcac
    on

HI Perseverance

I’m with Sunny B and MnM – I was only 70 kg when I started and it took me 7 weeks to lose what you have lost in half that time so you are doing great. Beware of averages because the basis of those are all over the place. I’ve no doubt that if you started at 100kg then yes you could probably expect to lose 14kg in 8 weeks but you were a lot less than that and we are all very different so you can’t expect the same results. Drink a shed load of water, keep up the exercise, but don’t overdo it and remember, your name is the game, perseverance, you will get there and losing 1kg a week is fabulous!

TC

Please log in or register to post a reply.