Simplest recipes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dcairns
    on

Preparing to start the diet, but daunted by the recipes in the book and online. I never cook breakfast (catch me trying to toast almonds in a frying pan while half asleep!), I’m an incompetent chef at best, most of the recipes contain ingredients I never buy… Can anyone direct me to the very easiest recipes on here (assume I’m an idiot and a menace in the kitchen) or suggest things for each meal that require minimum preparation. I’m prepared to sacrifice variety and deliciouness for EASE. I mean, ideally the thing should be edible as it is. I can just about peel a fruit. I can make an omelette but if we’re eliminating the unhealthy parts I don’t want to replace them with a half dozen tiny flavourings.

You get the idea, I’m sure. Many thanks if anyone can help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome dcairns …. there’s nothing wrong with keeping things simple, so maybe eggs for breakfast (your omelette for instance), a salad and protein source for lunch (pre-cooked chicken, grated cheese, canned tuna), and above ground veggies and a protein source for dinner (a couple of good quality sausages, a chop or small steak for instance).

Personally, I like a sprinkle or two of spices or herbs to ring the changes and you can buy lots of different premixed options, so just one extra ingredient… Italian or provincial herb mix, five spice or ras el hanout spice mix maybe.

If you’re looking for advice and support, you can do worse than joining in on the weekly thread … the current one has September in the title and there will be a new one kicking off tomorrow evening. Warm welcome guaranteed.

Best wishes to you

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome dcairns, to add to SunnyB’s advice. What do you normally eat – just do pretty much the same but without the carbs and add extra veg. I still have a weekly mince dish like bolognaise or lasagne, replacing the pasta with a veg. I get what you mean about ingredients you never buy but maybe now is the time to start trying new things – just one at a time – you might find something you really like. Dont buy loads of stuff you wont use again, just get what you need for a meal even though it might be cheaper to buy in bulk. You could look at the website for thedietdoctor – besides a good run down of what are the high, medium and low carb foods, he also has some simple recipes. Omelette is great and there is nothing you should be removing to make it fit the diet. I have a little trick the night before I do my main shop, I make a large omelette (3 eggs) and throw in anything that looks like it is going to go off, peppers, mushroom, cold meat etc. I fills me up and gets rids of stuff you bought too much of.

I see you are newly diagnosed with diabetes. Do you mind saying if you are on any medication and/or what your doctor has said to you about diet, exercise etc. It is useful to know when giving advice.

Dont make life complicated, just do your best and enjoy what you can have rather than worrying about what you cant.

• posted by dcairns
    on

Thanks!
    I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow, so we’ll see what he says.
    This sounds much easier to manage and I love omelettes so that’s encouraging.

on

Good luck with the doctor. Get as much information as you can i.e. your numbers, suggested treatments, what advice is he she offering. This might be too late but if you have already seen him let us know what happened.

on

Take a look at DrBeckyFitness.com/KetoMenu for an idea for some meals and recipes. She really keeps it simple. She is mainly keto focussed but she does give examples of low carb easing into keto.

• posted by dcairns
    on

Just a note to say it’s going really well: my medication has been reduced, I no longer have to risk low blood sugar crashes with Gliclazide, I don’t have to prick myself with a needle every day or two, ever again, and my weight is continuing to lower, with just the gut left to go.

My mealsof chicken and salmon and other fish and salads and greens may be slightly monotonous, but I haven’t been tempted to stray back to puddings. I went too far with the low/no carbs and am phasing them back but in at greatly reduced levels. Should now have a balance of variety and moderation.

on

Glad things are going well for you, especially with the diabetes. Just a small warning – you can never go back to the carbs in the same way you used to eat them. I have been doing this for 5+ years and still never eat bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, breakfast cereals etc etc. I do however include better carbs like lentils or beans which I have had quite a bit of over this weekend. They have stunted my weight loss but had no impact on my blood glucose levels.

• posted by PKoskikallio
    on

Hei!Olen saamaamieltä, että reseptiikka on aivan liian monimutkaista ja niissä joutuisi hankkimaan suuren määrän eri ainesosia, jotka ehkä jäävät käyttämättä. Sovelsin reseptit omaan käyttöön sopiviksi. Kysyisin mielipidettä aineesta nimeltä erytritolia. suositellaanko sitä käytettäväksi esim. leivonnassa, Tuli vastaan, kun selasin keto reseptejä suomalisen bloggaajan sivuja.

on

Keinotekoiset makeutusaineet aiheuttavat paljon kiistaa, jos olet diabeetikko, koska se saa aikaan saman insuliinivasteen kuin jos se olisi oikea sokeri.

Jos et ole diabeetikko, ainoa ongelma on, että et anna makunystyräsi mahdollisuutta poistaa makeita asioita ruokavaliostasi. Jos leivot kakkua erityiseen tilaisuuteen etkä käytä sitä kovin usein, siitä ei voi olla haittaa. Älä vain käytä sitä tapana tehdä makeita ruokia.

Can I ask again, would you prefer me to answer in Finnish or English.

Please log in or register to post a reply.