Silent Reflux – will the BSD help?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chattypenguin
    on

Hi, I’m new to this website and wondering if the BSD might help with acid reflux in the throat, also known as LPR or Silent Reflux. It basically causes hoarseness, an acid taste in the mouth, a mild cough and runny nose. I’ve been following a low acid high-fibre diet for a few weeks now, and feelign a bit better, but I’m wondering whether carbs might be adding to the problem. Has anyone else who suffers from acid reflux found the BSD has improved their symptoms? I’m not overweight and I’m a vegetarian non-smoker. But I do tend to base most meals around carbs. Thanks for any advice.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi chattypenguin and welcome. I am not qualified to give medical advice, but can say from personal experience that my problems with reflux eased almost immediately when I started BSD. I now only get a recurrence if I drink wine etc. It is difficult to say whether the solution lay in weight discard (I lost 3 stone) or low carb, or a combination of both, though: so I am not sure whether you will benefit. But it could certainly be worth a go! JGwen is a vegetarian on this website who could offer you advice on low carb veggie options, or check out the recipe section on here and http://www.dietdoctor.com I hope you find a good solution.

on

Hi Caronl, Thanks so much for the reply. Much appreciated. I’ll definitely check out different recipe ideas. And hopefully trying the low carb approach will help with the reflux. Thanks again.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi chattypenguin
    I was diagnosed with LPR following referral for a persistently hoarse voice a number of years ago.and have been doing BSD since 2017 and haven’t had any of the symptoms since following this way of eating. I think losing 3 stone helped too. I am a strict vegetarian and non smoker. It may just be a coincidence. This way of eating is possible as a vegetarian but obviously we don’t have as many food choices as the meat and fish eaters. I eat eggs, cheese, hummus, quorn, nuts, Greek yoghurt, berries, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, home made soups. I started by simply giving up rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cakes, biscuits etc.

• posted by Dachsiemad
    on

This is so exciting to hear. I have GORD with oesophagitis and gastritis and hoping that the 800 BSD will help me. Today is my first day on the diet … here’s to healthier times ahead!

on

Thanks so much, ClarinetCathy. That’s all really useful advice and good to hear that your LPR is so much better. I’m definitely going to try to cut back on carbs to see if it makes a difference. Looking at BSD recipes, it seems a bit harder as a vegetarian. But thanks for the list of what you include in your diet. That’s really helpful.

• posted by DOGWALKER2
    on

Google Norman Robillard PhD. Fast Tract Digestion – Heartburn. He discusses starchy fibrous carbs which wreak havoc, causing gases & fermentation to occur. In turn causes acid reflux & LPR. Definitely worth a try. It helped with my LPR.

Please log in or register to post a reply.