Seizures and hypoglycaemia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tykus
    on

HI

I about 2-3 stones overweight and have regular seizures because of epilepsy/NES. I recently discovered I have hypoglyceamia (not diabetic) and have been read a couple of books over the last few days – including Dr M’s BSD book.

I also cycle regularly and have concerns that the fasting and 800 is way to severe because if my blood sugar drops too fast I seize. I’ve been refined carb/ sugar free for a week now and am stunned how much more energy I have, no post meal shaking or feeling cold either.

What about spelt pasta – is that ok in small portions?

Back to calories – Im thinking about 1200 per day and eating every 3-4 hours to maintain the BS – what do you think? Maybe 1500 if Im cycling for over 2 hours…

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am not a doctor ….. i really think you should consult one. There is a link in the book which you can download and give to your doctor.

For people without seizures, etc. … normal amount of exercise is recommended within the 800 calories. Sometimes people just give up on excessive exercise for the first few weeks.

Not a doctor. I would proceed very carefully.

• posted by Tykus
    on

Thanks but I don’t need to see a dr- I have had this lifelong and I can self manage 🙂

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I wouldn’t have thought the BSD was inherently dangerous, as the intent is to stabilise blood sugars in the normal range rather than have steep swings from high to low, but I am not a doctor, and do not as far as I know suffer from any blood sugar or blood pressure conditions. I do agree that probably the 800 would be possibly a bad idea, and except for slowing down the effect, that the Med style, slightly lower calories trial you are suggesting is probably better than the full 800 fast, provided motivation remains high to stick with it. One of the things I love about this WOE is the flexibility, since discovering it I have used 5:2, 4:3, 2:5 and the full 800 fast, all with great success on my long road. I have even had almost a month off, generally sticking to (most of) the principles, while staying basically on track weight wise. You could maybe try 6:1 where your one fast day was a non-cycling one, and keep to the regular eating pattern during it, upping the rest of the days to keep the weekly average the same if you had concerns.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Spelt pasta should be fine in small portions, I use buckwheat as well, providing you keep the portions small, they are both sources of good complex carbohydrate.

• posted by Tykus
    on

thankyou for the info x

Please log in or register to post a reply.